METV: I'm confused

I am confused about the METV that goes into affect Nov 13. How does that affect a normal tourist visa that is obtained when going through passport control at the airport? Is it true that the tourist visa has been extended to 60 days on arrival for US citizens?

Any clarification of my confusion would be greatly appreciated............Thanks in advance.

CB

1. The new METV has no effect on visa exempt entry given at passport control.

No, it's still 30 days on arrival. However, since Aug 2014 you can extend the stay by 30 days at an immigration office for 1,900 baht.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

I just spoke to the thai embassy in canberra australia and to apply for the new 6 month visa you have to be in your own country of residence and you cant do it from neighbouring countries so every 6 months you have to go home to re apply.. Its a multiple entry visa and you have to leave thailand every 60 days and it cost 225 australian dollars...

• Like 2

elviajero

"No, it's still 30 days on arrival. However, since Aug 2014 you can extend the stay by 30 days at an immigration office for 1,900 baht."

Not wholly correct. The 30-day Visa Exempt is ONLY for the G7 countries: Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, and the United States.

Most other countries will get just 15 days.

Then there's a list of countries that cannot get the Visa Exempt chop, they must have a visa.

So best to ask first at your local Thai Embassy/Consulate to see which category you fall into.

Mac

elviajero

"No, it's still 30 days on arrival. However, since Aug 2014 you can extend the stay by 30 days at an immigration office for 1,900 baht."

Not wholly correct. The 30-day Visa Exempt is ONLY for the G7 countries: Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, and the United States.

Then there's a list of countries that cannot get the Visa Exempt chop, they must have a visa.

So best to ask first at your local Thai Embassy/Consulate to see which category you fall into.

Mac

non G7 only get 15 days at the airport?

elviajero

Mac

non G7 only get 15 days at the airport?

I think he was referring to entries at a border crossing.

I just spoke to the thai embassy in canberra australia and to apply for the new 6 month visa you have to be in your own country of residence and you cant do it from neighbouring countries so every 6 months you have to go home to re apply.. Its a multiple entry visa and you have to leave thailand every 60 days and it cost 225 australian dollars...

Are you <deleted> kidding me? So in practice if foreigners want this new visa we have to apply for it in our home land and then leave every 6 months to reapply in our home country? Ok then that is that idea out of the window for me the whistling.gif

• Like 1

Joe, I now have a double entry tourist visa from Laos (it's thai obviously) and that is good for 60 days, I can then apply at immigration for an extension for30 days to the sound of 1,900. Now, this is my first tourist visa in about 4 years as I was on an ED before that, now I am fluent in Thai pretty much, well lets say maybe one notch down from fluent I left schooling. Plus my passport is nearly full and I am getting a new one soon so it will be fresh. My question is how many double entry tourist visas will I be able to get back to back from Laos? I do not like the idea of this METV at all, for my specific circumstances I mean, and I could study Thai again I guess but it costs more than border runs and I would only need to learn a bit more on my reading and writing.

Cheers

Joe, I now have a double entry tourist visa from Laos (it's thai obviously) and that is good for 60 days, I can then apply at immigration for an extension for30 days to the sound of 1,900. Now, this is my first tourist visa in about 4 years as I was on an ED before that, now I am fluent in Thai pretty much, well lets say maybe one notch down from fluent I left schooling. Plus my passport is nearly full and I am getting a new one soon so it will be fresh. My question is how many double entry tourist visas will I be able to get back to back from Laos? I do not like the idea of this METV at all, for my specific circumstances I mean, and I could study Thai again I guess but it costs more than border runs and I would only need to learn a bit more on my reading and writing.

Cheers

After the 13th it is doubtful that anybody will get any Double Entrys in Laos, if the METV will be available there remains to be seen

elviajero

Mac

My answers were correct based on the OP's first question relating to arriving at an airport, and his second question that specified a US national. A US national qualifies for a 30 day extension. Although they say tourist visa I believe they meant visa exempt entry.

• All nationals that qualify for the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme get 30 days on arrival at an airport.
  • Of the schemes qualifying countries only G7 countries get 30 days at a land border the others get 15 days. Except Malaysians that cross the Maylasian/Thai border who also get 30 days.
  • Like 2

Please advise. I have a six month visa from the London Thai embassy. I arrived 17th October. When do I have to make my first visa run? On which date specifically. Thank you.

I guess you have a 3 entry tourist visa which is valid for use for 6 months from the day of issue.

Each entry allows a stay of 60 days which can extended by 30 days for a fee of 1900 Bht at any immigration office. After 60(90 if extended) days you must leave the country and return to activate another 60 days.

You must also be sure to make the third entry before the "enter before" date clearly marked on the visa.

Hmm, wow Thailand is really screwing over the younger people who are expats herr aren't they. Do they not understand that they can bring money into their economy from home, why all the red tape and bs.No other country in SE Asia makes things this problematic I swear

Some SEA countries do, some don't. Laos is 30+30 days (the 2nd double-price), and need a "fixer" for a business visa to go beyond this. Not sure about back-to-back re-entries there. Malaysia gives me 90 days on entry (USA passport), and can extend and/or do a border-run for another 90, but after that, questioning starts, and entries may be denied.

By contrast, Cambodia is easy - pay up to a year at a time for ME and never have to leave. What I know of Vietnam is 3-mo (showing $3000 in funds for acceptance) + 3-mo extensions in-country - not sure if there is a limit on the extensions, or further proof of funds on those. Myanmar - no idea.

Hmm, wow Thailand is really screwing over the younger people who are expats herr aren't they. Do they not understand that they can bring money into their economy from home, why all the red tape and bs.No other country in SE Asia makes things this problematic I swear

Some SEA countries do, some don't. Laos is 30+30 days (the 2nd double-price), and need a "fixer" for a business visa to go beyond this. Not sure about back-to-back re-entries there. Malaysia gives me 90 days on entry (USA passport), and can extend and/or do a border-run for another 90, but after that, questioning starts, and entries may be denied.

By contrast, Cambodia is easy - pay up to a year at a time for ME and never have to leave. What I know of Vietnam is 3-mo (showing $3000 in funds for acceptance) + 3-mo extensions in-country - not sure if there is a limit on the extensions, or further proof of funds on those. Myanmar - no idea.

" By contrast, Cambodia is easy - pay up to a year at a time for ME and never have to leave"

I was in Cambodia just last week and even now even this may changesad.png

Do you mean you are not sure on the back 2 backs for Laos or Thailand, I am curious about both actually

Please advise. I have a six month visa from the London Thai embassy. I arrived 17th October. When do I have to make my first visa run? On which date specifically. Thank you.

Assuming you have a tourist visa you would have been given 60 days on arrival. So you can stay a maximum of 60 days before doing a border run.

There will be a stamp in your passport that gives the 'admitted until' date. This is the date you must do the border run on or before unless you apply for a 30 day extension at immigration.

So with a METV you do your 6 months here, leaving the country every 6 months......and then you go back to your home country and get another one? Wouldn't the Thai embassy see you as some sort of an impostor.......ie not a genuine toursit but a would-be long term resident?

Wouldn't there be some sort of cooling off period between the expiry of the first METV and the issuance of a new one?

Just wondering.

• Like 1

Sorry i didnt ask if you have to leave time between re applying i might give them another call tomorrow...

Please do as I am very curious to know and I do not wish really to go back to ED, yeah that rhymes but I am only an amateur poet and I sure do know it. However my poems may be short and sweet, they are usually for the girl who makes my heart beat. She is not Thai or Laos, she's from Lebanon and simply just one word ... 'wow' thumbsup.gif

Edited by monk213
  • Like 2

elviajero

Mac

That's not entirely correct either. As an Australian Citizen, which is not G7, Australians can get also 30 days visa exempt. If I want to extend, I have been able to extend up to another 60days for 1900 baht and have done so many times at Immigration in Pattaya.

Are you <deleted> kidding me? So in practice if foreigners want this new visa we have to apply for it in our home land and then leave every 6 months to reapply in our home country? Ok then that is that idea out of the window for me the whistling.gif

@ Muffinzman, Im confused by this as well, and feel the same as Monk123. You mentioned country of residence! I'm an Australian Citizen. I am not a Resident of Australia. But I am a Resident of Hong Kong. If what you are saying is based on Residency then it would be HK is where I would be getting a 6 month Visa. Residency of Country and Citizenship of a country can be mutually exclusive of each other.

I emailed the Thai consulate at Hull to get clarification for UK residents. When I get a response I will post here.

I emailed another consulate in the UK and they seemed to think I can still apply for a double or triple-entry visa 10 days after November 13th. Does this mean they are mistaken or is the date for phasing them out not a firm one?

Philippines is easy, 30 days on arrival that can be extended for 59 days then extend for 3 months at a time (6 months in Manila, Cebu, Davao) up to 14 months (3 years in Manila, Cebu, Davao), exit the country, come back, rinse & repeat.

Or deposit US$20,000(age 35-50, if over 50 there are other options) in an approved bank & get an SRRV, gives you the right to live, work, own a business there for as long as you leave the cash in the account.

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

I emailed the Thai consulate at Hull to get clarification for UK residents. When I get a response I will post here.

I emailed another consulate in the UK and they seemed to think I can still apply for a double or triple-entry visa 10 days after November 13th. Does this mean they are mistaken or is the date for phasing them out not a firm one?

I suspect they have not been informed of what the rules will be by the embassy in London yet. Nothing has been posted on the embassy website.

When I inquired about it to the consul at the Bali honorary consulate he could not answer any questions because he had not gotten anything form the embassy in Jakarta.