METV: I'm confused

Triple entry visa from the UK Thai embassy was good for 9 months with extensions, 60 + extension 30, exit, 60 + extension 30, exit, 60 + extension 30 = 9 months

so the total cost would be more than 75 when you add the cost of the extensions

Did I mention extensions in my original post of the cost? New METV is £125 and old triple entry was £75. New METV you have to leave the country after 60 days, which will incur an extra cost.

• Like 1

Look at it another way, double entry tourist visa from Thai Embassy, London. £50, 60 days and add extension for another 30 days, 1900 baht (£35), exit country on visa run, 2400 baht (£43), 60 days and add extension for another 30 days, 1900 baht (£35) visa finished 180 days = £163

New METV, £125, 60 days, exit country on visa run, 2400 baht (£43), 60 days, exit country on visa run, 2400 baht (£43), 60 days visa finished at 180 days = £211

Looks like it is more expensive to me...

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1

Look at it another way, double entry tourist visa from Thai Embassy, London. £50, 60 days and add extension for another 30 days, 1900 baht (£35), exit country on visa run, 2400 baht (£43), 60 days and add extension for another 30 days, 1900 baht (£35) visa finished 180 days = £163

New METV, £125, 60 days, exit country on visa run, 2400 baht (£43), 60 days, exit country on visa run, 2400 baht (£43), 60 days visa finished at 180 days = £211

it is more expensive. and far less user friendly

• Like 1

It sure is, I was bored, that's why I worked it out, anyway far better than watching Arsenal losesad.png

It sure is, I was bored, that's why I worked it out, anyway far better than watching Arsenal losesad.png

trying to imagine a guy showing up at the embassy on nov 14 for a tourist visa and they tell him he shoulda had 200,000 baht in a current account for the LAST 6 months!! lol

trying to imagine a guy showing up at the embassy on nov 14 for a tourist visa and they tell him he shoulda had 200,000 baht in a current account for the LAST 6 months!! lol

Hopefully they will update the new rules this week.

Hopefully they will update the new rules this week.

why? you do not need show that for a single entry visa ( which will be the same everywhere as before)

Even the thai embassy in Cambodia states u need ONLY show $1,000 for a single but they have never asked.

4. Evidence of adequate finance

Single-Entry Tourist Visa: $1000 per person and $2000 per family

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: $8,000 per person (6 months of financial statements)

The only reason to refer to backpackers these days is someone who is carrying a backpack. The lifestyle choices are nothing like backpackers of old, airconditioned luxury is the new 'roughing it'.

In fact they should now be referred to as Applepackers. tongue.png

They look like this, remember?

Hundreds-of-full-moon-partiers-dance-the

• Like 1

The only reason to refer to backpackers these days is someone who is carrying a backpack. The lifestyle choices are nothing like backpackers of old, airconditioned luxury is the new 'roughing it'.

In fact they should now be referred to as Applepackers. tongue.png

Indeed the term 'flashpacker' was coined in 2006 by the Associated Press, to reflect that change. It's on the Wikipedia for backpacker, got quite a bit of coverage in newspapers etc.

• Like 2

For such a big change to tourist visas. I find it difficult to find a group of tourists that would take it up. Mind you when I first came here as a fat cat , then yes perfect to use bkk as a base and travel SEA. BUT really that suits very few. Can't see the Chinese even look at it. Backpacker forget it. Obviously can go on and on . WHO EXACTLY IS THE METV designed for. White elephant. Only thai could come come up with this.

Yes, just who would need one of these Visas ?

VOA VES or single entry visas would suit travelers better than a METV .

Persons working at home will not need a six month visa .

The reason for METVs existence must be to stop people living in Thailand on numerous DE visas.

If that is indeed the reason, then they will probably only allow the visa to be issued in ones home Country.

• Like 2

For such a big change to tourist visas. I find it difficult to find a group of tourists that would take it up. Mind you when I first came here as a fat cat , then yes perfect to use bkk as a base and travel SEA. BUT really that suits very few. Can't see the Chinese even look at it. Backpacker forget it. Obviously can go on and on . WHO EXACTLY IS THE METV designed for. White elephant. Only thai could come come up with this.

Yes, just who would need one of these Visas ?

VOA VES or single entry visas would suit travelers better than a METV .

Persons working at home will not need a six month visa .

The reason for METVs existence must be to stop people living in Thailand on numerous DE visas.

If that is indeed the reason, then they will probably only allow the visa to be issued in ones home Country.

" VOA VES or single entry visas would suit travelers better than a METV ."thumbsup.gif

this is what I think also. Then you have much more flexibility to change your dates and your method of travel.

...The idiots haven't even updated the application form - still says "Tourist Visa (1, 2 OR 3)" with the only Multiple option referring to the "O"facepalm.gif

What do you find wrong with an application form that lists all currently available visas?

• Like 2

...The idiots haven't even updated the application form - still says "Tourist Visa (1, 2 OR 3)" with the only Multiple option referring to the "O"facepalm.gif

What do you find wrong with an application form that lists all currently available visas?

Maestro - IMO either they should have updated all of it or none of it!

As it is if you look at the TV description page http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/45 it mentions single, double and triple entry visas but nothing about the METV.

Download the application form and you're offered Tourist Visa (1, 2 OR 3)

However look at Visa Fees page http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/76 and you've got single-entry TV or METV!

We've all been studying this but imagine a "newbie" (or typical tourist) looking at that! Do you see what I mean, they could at least have updated all the relevant pages together!

As it is, how does one know which page takes precedence?

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Maestro - IMO either they should have updated all of it or none of it!

As it is if you look at the TV description page http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/45 it mentions single, double and triple entry visas but nothing about the METV.

Download the application form and you're offered Tourist Visa (1, 2 OR 3)

However look at Visa Fees page http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/76 and you've got single-entry TV or METV!

We've all been studying this but imagine a "newbie" (or typical tourist) looking at that! Do you see what I mean, they could at least have updated all the relevant pages together!

As it is, how does one know which page takes precedence?

I noticed that last night, they haven't updated the visa form, but added a section about new visa fees. Probably won't update the form until the 13th.

No METV's available in Southeast Asia for European tour clients. METV must be applied directly in the home country. Source: MFA

Is there definite confirmation that double entry tourist visas will no longer be issued by Vientiane/Savannakhet with effect from November 13?

I phoned with the visa section of the Thai Consulate in Vientiane yesterday, Nov, 5th:

According to the friendly lady, it will not be possible for non-Laotian residents to apply for an METV there.

...that solves that...

no more falang will stay in thailand for work with tourist visa :)

thank you general ,

me i got thai children unlimited non O :)

the UK gives 60+30 tourist visas?

Triple entry visa from the UK Thai embassy was good for 9 months with extensions, 60 + extension 30, exit, 60 + extension 30, exit, 60 + extension 30 = 9 months. my mistake, post before was not clear.

you have me confused. yes the visa is quite a bit more expensive, but I must have missed the text that an entry made on a METV cannot be extended ?

if that is the case, it doesn't make sense, even visa exempt entries can now be extended for another 30 days, I see no reason why an entry stamp obtained via an expensive METV suddenly cannot be extended like an exempt stamp entry or a SETV.

Anyway, it is what it is. Judging from the price and the requirements, I think not too many tourists would consider this visa. Not that many genuine tourists are getting double or triple entries now, for them there are much cheaper avenues available.

I think he was referring to entries at a border crossing.

Joe, I now have a double entry tourist visa from Laos (it's thai obviously) and that is good for 60 days, I can then apply at immigration for an extension for30 days to the sound of 1,900. Now, this is my first tourist visa in about 4 years as I was on an ED before that, now I am fluent in Thai pretty much, well lets say maybe one notch down from fluent I left schooling. Plus my passport is nearly full and I am getting a new one soon so it will be fresh. My question is how many double entry tourist visas will I be able to get back to back from Laos? I do not like the idea of this METV at all, for my specific circumstances I mean, and I could study Thai again I guess but it costs more than border runs and I would only need to learn a bit more on my reading and writing.

Cheers

After the 13th it is doubtful that anybody will get any Double Entrys in Laos, if the METV will be available there remains to be seen

Hmm, wow Thailand is really screwing over the younger people who are expats herr aren't they. Do they not understand that they can bring money into their economy from home, why all the red tape and bs.No other country in SE Asia makes things this problematic I swear

They're not "screwing over" anybody. They're making it difficult for people who are clearly NOT TOURISTS to stay in the country indefinitely by "doing border runs" and thus gaming the system. I'll wager that you (and many others with their panties in a bunch over this) would applaud similar measures to control illegal immigration in your home country...am I right?

• Like 1

So without having to skim over every page in this thread again, where are we all now regarding this new visa? Any word from above yet ... I would like to know what is going on with it and what the requirements etc would be, chop chop and chim cim charoo

So without having to skim over every page in this thread again, where are we all now regarding this new visa? Any word from above yet ... I would like to know what is going on with it and what the requirements etc would be, chop chop and chim cim charoo

We moved to a new thread, over twice as long as this one and still didn't learn anything http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868729-metv-visa-vientiane-laos-its-official/

Give it a week or two.

Depends if you want the official version or the non-official version, ... as usual !

Some posters refer to people living here on loopholes or abusing the continuous use of tourist visas. Then talk about your own country would not allow it. The point is most western countries would not be so stupid as to allow that in first place. Take my country au for example only. My tgf obtained her first tourist visa after very extensive application. Same for second visit. The third tv she currently has is 12 month multiple entry max stay per entry 3 month. Do you imagine she could do visa runs every 3 months and virtually stay in au for effectively 15 months. Absolutely not. Also i think her next visa application will be more difficult.

As i have mentioned earlier when the thai experts were sitting around the big table setting rules for tv. Did anyone have an insight to suggest we might need an added rider that only so many days a year or only 3 single entry per year. Something!!!

Please dont tell me that didnt think of that. No one is that stupid. The reality is they were happy for the white buffloo to live in los and spent his/her cash

• Like 2