METV: I'm confused

Why!

Do you know how many backpackers buy 2 or 3 entry TR's.

How long the average backpacker stays in Thailand.

How many times they exit/re-enter.

Most backpackers are gap year students that travel through many countries. Surely a 90 day stay in Thailand is enough for most. If not they could get another SETV or use visa exempt entry.

You're predicting unnecessary doom and gloom.

a lot of them base themseves in thailand and come and go often

I still have an old British passport which chronicles my gap year back packing travels.

15 countries spending an average of 3 weeks in each country.

Seems the modern day "back packer" has limited horizons

• Like 2

Why!

Most backpackers are gap year students that travel through many countries. Surely a 90 day stay in Thailand is enough for most. If not they could get another SETV or use visa exempt entry.

The massive majority don't.

Some might but how do they "come and go often" with the current visas?

Why!

I still have an old British passport which chronicles my gap year back packing travels.

the old never understand or approve of the young

• Like 2

Why!

yes THL was used as a base to travel from and to.

THL is turning its back on who were the first Farangs to discover it and defend as a great tourist place.

You read any guide book about THL, it tells you of all the places that had been discovered by back packers.

I remember when THL had really bad press, many preconceptions and was perceived as hub of hard drugs by media... coming back from a lovely holiday in Samui I had to convince everyone I met, I was not shooting heroin through my veins lol

Considering at the end of the day that we are talking about a tourist visa, albeit multi entry, for the destination country needing all the information reference jobs, bank statements (as said, no income requirements yet............wink.png ) from a potential tourist, would the average tourist not question the reasons for wanting to visit in the first place?

If i was a tourist, i certainly would. The METV visa will not be the right visa for all, that's for sure.

Would the average tourist need a 6 month multiple entry visa or would the single entry visa be more than enough for the average tourist?

Most tourists of the kind you are visualizing would be perfectly well served by visa exempt entries. Those not well served by this approach fall into two main groups

• Wealthy individuals, digital nomads, oill workers who wish to enter the country frequently without hassle for varying lengths of time. Some of these may have special reasons to choose Thailand, and may be willing to accept hassles to come here. Most will simply go elsewhere if coming to Thailand is inconvenient.
  • People of limited means who have a strong desire to live specifically in Thailand. Often, they have partners or children here. Often, they do not qualify for Non-O visas or long-term extensions. Some of these individuals will be working illegally, but (if Westerners) rarely in occupations where they compete with Thais for the same jobs. Such people are only mildly beneficial to the local economy, but do no harm and there are frequently compassionate reasons why it would be better if they could remain.

The METV , as I currently understand the requirements, is not appropriate for either group.

I agree that the METV has a limited market but I think that's the point. IMO they have effectively done away wth 2 and 3 entry TR's because they are not needed for the average tourist, and used primarily by the groups that immigration has spent the last 9 years trying to stop taking up root.

• Like 2

Considering at the end of the day that we are talking about a tourist visa, albeit multi entry, for the destination country needing all the information reference jobs, bank statements (as said, no income requirements yet............wink.png ) from a potential tourist, would the average tourist not question the reasons for wanting to visit in the first place?

If i was a tourist, i certainly would. The METV visa will not be the right visa for all, that's for sure.

Would the average tourist need a 6 month multiple entry visa or would the single entry visa be more than enough for the average tourist?

Most tourists of the kind you are visualizing would be perfectly well served by visa exempt entries. Those not well served by this approach fall into two main groups

• Wealthy individuals, digital nomads, oill workers who wish to enter the country frequently without hassle for varying lengths of time. Some of these may have special reasons to choose Thailand, and may be willing to accept hassles to come here. Most will simply go elsewhere if coming to Thailand is inconvenient.
  • People of limited means who have a strong desire to live specifically in Thailand. Often, they have partners or children here. Often, they do not qualify for Non-O visas or long-term extensions. Some of these individuals will be working illegally, but (if Westerners) rarely in occupations where they compete with Thais for the same jobs. Such people are only mildly beneficial to the local economy, but do no harm and there are frequently compassionate reasons why it would be better if they could remain.

The METV , as I currently understand the requirements, is not appropriate for either group.

I agree that the METV has a limited market but I think that's the point. IMO they have effectively done away wth 2 and 3 entry TR's because they are not needed for the average tourist, and used primarily by the groups that immigration has spent the last 9 years trying to stop taking up root.

also used by the retiree snowbirds escaping winter. the kind other countries spend huge marketing dollars to attract

Why!

The massive majority don't.

Some might but how do they "come and go often" with the current visas?

you have stats i assume?

Why!

Yes ! Me too.

I feel sorry for the kids now, with all these stupid visa rules, they have to go through, it kill the joy of it all.

The best feeling was the sheer freedom that you could go anywhere.

Now every move has to be planned 6 months inadvance with adhoc cash, bookings etc, what a bore

• Like 2

Why!

the old never understand or approve of the young

Thankfully there are some real back packing youngsters who do more than border hop in an attempt to remain in Thailand.

"a practical example of many of the gap year sections listed above as well a general travelogue of my solo gap year around the world covering India, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, Sydney, New Zealand, Fiji, Cook Islands, French Polynesia (Bora Bora, Huahine, Tahiti and Moorea), Canada (Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto) and New York." ****

Ref

http://www.firstgapyear.com/

Edited by oncearugge

I personally would like to see a visa for under 50s who can show proof of income outside of Thailand i.e. these digital nomads that the elders seem to hate, because honestly there are many of them and they of the most part cause no harm to this place. They work and source clients outside of the country and bring money in; it could be web design, graphic design and so forth. Why has this visa never been processed or even considered by the people at the top..

From what I understand, Thailand doesnt want people here who reside in Thailand and run their business on line . They class that as working here .

Which technically, they are correct .

If you are web designing etc in Thailand, you are working in Thailand .

And you will need a work visa for that

I personally would like to see a visa for under 50s who can show proof of income outside of Thailand i.e. these digital nomads that the elders seem to hate, because honestly there are many of them and they of the most part cause no harm to this place. They work and source clients outside of the country and bring money in; it could be web design, graphic design and so forth. Why has this visa never been processed or even considered by the people at the top..

Do you mean like the new METV?

I assume that if they want digital nomads here they will introduce a visa specifically for that group.

I think the situation is simple. If there isn't a visa/extension for someone to stay long term it's because Thailand doesn't want that someone to stay long term.

• Like 2

Why!

Yes ! Me too.

I feel sorry for the kids now, with all these stupid visa rules, they have to go through, it kill the joy of it all.

The best feeling was the sheer freedom that you could go anywhere.

Now every move has to be planned 6 months inadvance with adhoc cash, bookings etc, what a bore

My gap year took a year to plan.

Visa free travel never existed.

Flight, bus and boat journeys had to be booked. Cash was always something that was needed

I assume that if they want digital nomads here they will introduce a visa specifically for that group.

I think the situation is simple. If there isn't a visa/extension for someone to stay long term it's because Thailand doesn't want that someone to stay long term.

From what I understand, Thailand doesnt want people here who reside in Thailand and run their business on line . They class that as working here .

Which technically, they are correct .

If you are web designing etc in Thailand, you are working in Thailand .

And you will need a work visa for that

Well so what you are saying us Thailand does not want younger people living here, bringing income to the economy and not stealing Thai jobs.. Taxes can be sorted I'm sure

ETV , as I currently understand the requirements, is not appropriate for either group.

also used by the retiree snowbirds escaping winter. the kind other countries spend huge marketing dollars to attract

Why does the loss of 2 and the less available 3 entry TR stop these retirees. They already have non O' and 'O-A' options. And it may well be that some embassies/consulates will issue the METV to retirees.

A SETV plus extension gives 3 months and another SETV obtained locally sees out the remainder of the winter.

• Like 1

My gap year took a year to plan.

Visa free travel never existed.

Flight, bus and boat journeys had to be booked. Cash was always something that was needed

we bought flight, bus, boat, train,visas, hotels, etc as needed.

Yes that was the beauty of it.

You could decide at last minute, gave you an immense sense of freedom

ETV , as I currently understand the requirements, is not appropriate for either group.

Why does the loss of 2 and the less available 3 entry TR stop these retirees. They already have non O' and 'O-A' options. And it may well be that some embassies/consulates will issue the METV to retirees.

A SETV plus extension gives 3 months and another SETV obtained locally sees out the remainder of the winter.

a retired couple from a western nation is going to go thru the hoops required for an O-A?? lol. It may well be?? what evidence do you have for that pipedream?

So did I miss the rule change to limit of single entry tv. If Thailand did not want people staying here long term where is limit to tv.

My son is planning at least a year in south east Asia . In the main los. He emailed me 're the new METV. I replied yes grab one then mix in after that a mix of 6 stamps with Many single entry tourist visas. All with extensions. Hell, he can stay here for long as he wants (almost)

Edited by jacksam

The current Thai visa application asks about employment (Profession/position held) . This "requirement" does not prevent retirees obtaining a visa!

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/pdffile/visa_standard.pdf

The current Thai visa application asks about employment (Profession/position held) . This "requirement" does not prevent retirees obtaining a visa!

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/pdffile/visa_standard.pdf

thats not the wording used in the METV shown here the other day

AYJAYDEE

Have you seen a revised application form ? One especially drafted for METV applications?
Please post a link to this 'new' application form.

a guy posted the requirements from the Thai embassy in Zurich the other day:

Posted 2015-11-01 10:31:59

star_big.png

POPULAR

The Thai Consulate in Zürich informed about new Tourist and Non-Immigrant-O Visa regulations starting from 13. Nov. 2015:

Single Entry Tourist Visas will be as before.

Double and Tripple Entry Tourist Visas will not be issued any more.

New Multi entry Tourist Visas will be issued but additiononal documentation will be required:

• Air ticket or booking
  • Hotel booking
  • Prove of a job in your country of residence
  • Prove of unlimmited permission to stay in your country of residence.
  • Prove of funds in a bank account of at least 7500 CHF for the last 6 month.

More Details see attachments in German.

Well so what you are saying us Thailand does not want younger people living here, bringing income to the economy and not stealing Thai jobs.. Taxes can be sorted I'm sure

Yes, it seems that way, if you have no legitimate reason for being here, Tourist, retired, studying etc, then you shouldnt be here .

AYJAYDEE

Have you seen a revised application form ? One especially drafted for METV applications?

star_big.png

POPULAR

The Thai Consulate in Zürich informed about new Tourist and Non-Immigrant-O Visa regulations starting from 13. Nov. 2015:

New Multi entry Tourist Visas will be issued but additiononal documentation will be required:

• Air ticket or booking
  • Hotel booking

Most of us are fully aware of the post relating to Zurich.

Where is the LINK to the new application form ?

AYJAYDEE

star_big.png

POPULAR

• Air ticket or booking
  • Hotel booking

havent seen one. but the qualifications spell it out clearly: PROOF of a job. do you have anything to suggest that may not be a requirement?

AYJAYDEE

star_big.png

POPULAR

• Air ticket or booking
  • Hotel booking

havent seen one. but the qualifications spell it out clearly: PROOF of a job. do you have anything to suggest that may not be a requirement?

The Danish embassy makes no mention of having a job. You are jumping the gun by assuming that all embassies/consulates will have the same criteria and you don't know how they might apply the job condition to retired people.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

You can answer to your own question by looking at the existing visas/extensions that are currently available.