METV: I'm confused

Would the average tourist need a 6 month multiple entry visa or would the single entry visa be more than enough for the average tourist?

If they were planning to base themselves in Thailand for a SEA tour, then yes because of the convenience of the multi entry. Even in this day and age there are still people that wish to experience the holiday of a lifetime at least once.

Without defining the term tourist too much, i am talking about individuals or families not included in the masses that make up the tourism numbers through package tours.

Edit: As i said earlier, what has been said so far about this METV is certainly not for everyone, and to that end will not affect everyone.

You said the "average tourist" and I wouldn't consider someone basing themselves in Thailand an average tourist. And I'm not really sure how a tourist can base themselves anywhere. Surely they are based in whatever hotel/country they happen to be in.

Agreed that it's definitely not for everyone and I still believe that the average tourist and tourism will not be affected by the change. The only group of "tourists" that will be affected are the group that are being targeted.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Most tourists of the kind you are visualizing would be perfectly well served by visa exempt entries. Those not well served by this approach fall into two main groups

• Wealthy individuals, digital nomads, oill workers who wish to enter the country frequently without hassle for varying lengths of time. Some of these may have special reasons to choose Thailand, and may be willing to accept hassles to come here. Most will simply go elsewhere if coming to Thailand is inconvenient.
  • People of limited means who have a strong desire to live specifically in Thailand. Often, they have partners or children here. Often, they do not qualify for Non-O visas or long-term extensions. Some of these individuals will be working illegally, but (if Westerners) rarely in occupations where they compete with Thais for the same jobs. Such people are only mildly beneficial to the local economy, but do no harm and there are frequently compassionate reasons why it would be better if they could remain.

The METV , as I currently understand the requirements, is not appropriate for either group.

I think wealthy individuals and even digital nomads or oil workers will always have an option to come to Thailand. In Southeast Asia where can they go? Indonesia, Laos, Singapore or even Malaysia have also strict visa laws. Laos 30 days tourist visa with a 30 days extension. Singapore you can fly in all the time but after a while they will ask you what you are doing in Singapore, specially if you take a trip to Batam or Johor Bahru. Indonesia gives you two months or you can go for the 6 months visa. The real option would be Cambodia or the Philippines but it would not be my cup of tea. I know plenty of oil workers that have a wife and they don't put up 400k and they still are after years on None-O-M entries because they work 2 or 3 months offshore and return for 1 or 2 months to Thailand to visit their wife or child(en).

People with limited means can always get a None-O-M if they have a child or have a wife and are even under 50. I know a guy he lives on 14000 Baht a month and has a None-O-M but he flies every year back to Germany to get another None-O-M from the German consulate in Frankfurt.

Edited by MobileContent

Well so what you are saying us Thailand does not want younger people living here, bringing income to the economy and not stealing Thai jobs.. Taxes can be sorted I'm sure

You can answer to your own question by looking at the existing visas/extensions that are currently available.

ok that's fine, and then that means Thailand is either looking the other way and letting the cashflow ensue, or they have no real care for trying to allow people who are not one foot in the grave to stay here long term, for some reason. Even though we can bring money and do bring money, a lot. They are shooting themselves in the foot, but as I first stated they may know all of this and just turn blind eye to it for the most part because of course it goes on, digital nomads work here and can make a substantial living - but I have NO idea why some farang on TV totally despise or hate these types of people. What is wrong with making living and exploring the world whilst young at the same time, no hurting anybody in the process either. Bitter old bints

You are the one coming across bitter with your ageism and assumptions. I doubt anyone has a problem with digital nomads if they are legal. Do you honestly believe that this minority group are of any significance to the Thai economy.

Authorities definitely have turned a blind eye to this group. Probably because it has been way down on the priority list, but as time goes on I believe immigration and the labour department will either legalise it with a specific visa or add it to the exclusion list.

• Like 1

Returning to Blighty every six months is ideal. You keep your right to free NHS treatment and you can see late spring, summer, and some autumn. Under current new rules if you are non resident for over three months you lose your your right to free NHS treatment.

Yeah and I herd u will loose your tax free allowance soon,can you post a link where u herd about that please

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back home I had never voted because I never agreed totally with what any of the parties represented, but the conservatives have really screwed a lot of people over this term and especially this law about leaving the country for x amount of months and not being able to have the benefit of the NHS, I can see why but that was set up for it's citizens, wherever we live, we are still their citizens at the end of the day. What a prick he is
Are you paying income tax in the UK or national insurance contributions while you're living in Thailand? If not, what makes you think you should be entitled to free medical treatment on the NHS?

I noticed you were complaining about the fact you would have to go back to the UK twice a year to apply for the METV too. What makes you think you're entitled to apply for a tourist visa when you're clearly not a tourist? It's the sense of entitlement that so many wasters in Britain have that is ruining the country.

'waster' hahaha.. I have worked as in manual labour since I was age 12 and like 10 hour days. I have moved and left everything I had every known and loved at age 20 and never look back, made a life for myself and have hurt hobody in the process. But yeah carry on with your slinging bs my friend, you're joker.

ELVIJERO Another long winded nothing. The problems with back to back tv from many consulates means you mix and match at border or enjoy sojourn to say Vietnam . Is there a comprehension problem. Everyone knows that perhaps some consulates limit back to back to maybe 3. Your point?

I suggest they go to another consulate

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

Well so what you are saying us Thailand does not want younger people living here, bringing income to the economy and not stealing Thai jobs.. Taxes can be sorted I'm sure

You can answer to your own question by looking at the existing visas/extensions that are currently available.

ok that's fine, and then that means Thailand is either looking the other way and letting the cashflow ensue, or they have no real care for trying to allow people who are not one foot in the grave to stay here long term, for some reason. Even though we can bring money and do bring money, a lot. They are shooting themselves in the foot, but as I first stated they may know all of this and just turn blind eye to it for the most part because of course it goes on, digital nomads work here and can make a substantial living - but I have NO idea why some farang on TV totally despise or hate these types of people. What is wrong with making living and exploring the world whilst young at the same time, no hurting anybody in the process either. Bitter old bints

You are the one coming across bitter with your ageism and assumptions. I doubt anyone has a problem with digital nomads if they are legal. Do you honestly believe that this minority group are of any significance to the Thai economy.

Authorities definitely have turned a blind eye to this group. Probably because it has been way down on the priority list, but as time goes on I believe immigration and the labour department will either legalise it with a specific visa or add it to the exclusion list.

See an unbiased and middle way'd voice of reason, I really do not understand why so many people hate on digital nomads on here. Maybe the older folk are jealous deep down as they did not have the tech back then to have a skill or trade where they could earn good monty from where they wake up in the morning,

Either way something needs to be done visa wise for this group of people, but this is LOS and anything can happen and also EVERYTHING can be said and nothing done

My visa-run office just told me, it will be possible to get METV in Vientiane even for non Laos-citizens.

I hope that is true but how would they know yet?

I hope too it's true. It's the Berliner Bistro, Soi 13, Pattaya. They are very reliable. But sure, we have to wait for confirmation.

Edited by alocacoc

How will people able to stay in Thailand long term if this METV will only be available from their home Country ?

... the only option left would to fly in and out every two months and stay here on VOA

In another thread I suggested another option to get the METV:

Enter a nearby country, FedEx your Passport and required documents to a friend, family-member, or mail-service in your home country, they forward this to the Thai consulate there, passport w/METV is returned to them, who FedEx it back to you. Now you can come back to Thailand for ~9 months. This does not violate US-laws, nor the requirements posted by the DC-Consulate for US-Citizens, and saves a long flight.

No is the simple answer 2 that

Monk 231. I an old bloke I'm happy that the world has opened up to people like DN etc.

Some people are living in the 70,s. The problem with METV is can hardly think of one group it offers a great advantage to. Short term visitors would not bother, esp visa exempt countries. And longer term maybe say 6/9 month why bother. Visit los on tv..extend and exit come back on stamp. Extend. That's already 5 month. Repeat process. Happy days. Easy to stay couple of years without a hipup

• Like 1

It really isnt just all about money .

Countries just dont allow foreigners to turn up and live there forever .

Thailand has never encouraged immigration into Thailand .

You have no entitlement to go and live in any Country that you want to .

• Like 1

Ok I get that and respect that actually, but maybe I have something to offer and a visa is not available for me to offer that ...

My visa-run office just told me, it will be possible to get METV in Vientiane even for non Laos-citizens.

I hope too it's true. It's the Berliner Bistro, Soi 13, Pattaya. They are very reliable. But sure, we have to wait for confirmation.

I heard Berliner Bistro does not do the visa runs themselves and they pass you on to other operators. I would take the advise from Berliner Bistro for the moment just as an assumption.

I personally would like to see a visa for under 50s who can show proof of income outside of Thailand i.e. these digital nomads that the elders seem to hate, because honestly there are many of them and they of the most part cause no harm to this place. They work and source clients outside of the country and bring money in; it could be web design, graphic design and so forth. Why has this visa never been processed or even considered by the people at the top..

If such a visa was produced the DN would not want it as they "wish to be free" of government and officialdom !

However, I would be interesting if a minimum provable income of say 80,000 Bht / month was demand as a requirement for a "DN visa" . Would the take up be overwhelming ?

I heard Berliner Bistro does not do the visa runs themselves and they pass you on to other operators. I would take the advise from Berliner Bistro for the moment just as an assumption.

It's true, nevertheless the brother of the boss from the Berliner Bistro drives two times a week to Vientiane. The statement comes from him.

I just called another visa office which gave me basically the same answer. But she can't guarantee it.

We only can wait and see. The only thing which is sure, all the visa-run services are very keen to gain more information in order to plan their business. If the Embassy in Vientiane has defined already their new requirements, it wouldn't me surprise when some well connected local visa company's got already or soon the details.

Edited by alocacoc

Ok I get that and respect that actually, but maybe I have something to offer and a visa is not available for me to offer that ...

If Thailand doesnt offer you a Visa for what you have to offer them, you have to realise that they probably dont want or need what you have to offer .

• Like 1

I just spoke to the thai embassy in canberra australia and to apply for the new 6 month visa you have to be in your own country of residence and you cant do it from neighbouring countries so every 6 months you have to go home to re apply.. Its a multiple entry visa and you have to leave thailand every 60 days and it cost 225 australian dollars...

Are you <deleted> kidding me? So in practice if foreigners want this new visa we have to apply for it in our home land and then leave every 6 months to reapply in our home country? Ok then that is that idea out of the window for me the whistling.gif

Well,if you actually read the posts above yours,you would know that you can stretch this out to nearly 9 months.Surely this is more than fair if you are a tourist.

• Like 1

I personally would like to see a visa for under 50s who can show proof of income outside of Thailand i.e. these digital nomads that the elders seem to hate, because honestly there are many of them and they of the most part cause no harm to this place. They work and source clients outside of the country and bring money in; it could be web design, graphic design and so forth. Why has this visa never been processed or even considered by the people at the top..

Because it needs a Thai work permit but from my experience and I know plenty of peoples in that category, the DN should just stay under the radar and the money should be plenty to support their stay in Thailand.

• Like 1

ELVIJERO Another long winded nothing. The problems with back to back tv from many consulates means you mix and match at border or enjoy sojourn to say Vietnam . Is there a comprehension problem. Everyone knows that perhaps some consulates limit back to back to maybe 3. Your point?

I suggest they go to another consulate

My point about your point is that although people can live in Thailand for as long as they want using multiple tourist visas, the restrictions by embassies/consulates, the cancellation of 2 and 3 entry TR's, and a new METV with tougher criteria all make it harder to stay here long term. And it suggests that the authorities do not want tourist visas to be used as a way to stay here long term.

It's true, nevertheless the brother of the boss from the Berliner Bistro drives two times a week to Vientiane. The statement comes from him.

I just called another visa office which gave me basically the same answer. But she can't guarantee it.

We only can wait and see. The only thing which is sure, all the visa-run services are very keen to gain more information in order to plan their business. If the Embassy in Vientiane has defined already their new requirements, it wouldn't me surprise when some well connected local visa company's got already or soon the details.

We have got nothing yet and we bring in 200,000++ foreigners per year into Thailand but we have a meeting on Thursday which should show some light once our CEO is back from the Travel Mart in London.

Do you know anything of the requirements needed for the METV's in Laos?

The METV seems to be another blatantly obvious clue that they are not looking for tourists to stay long term.

Many places couldn't get triple entry tourist visas before, some not even doubles.

By offering the METV which allows up to 9 months stay, to me it seems it's blatantly obvious that they're encouraging long stay tourism, as long as one has money. They're only trying to filter out actual undesirables like criminals or people taking jobs away from Thais as illegal tour guides etc. with some nominal proof of income requirements.

Until it's confirmed whether or not people can get METVs back to back, that is is the common sense conclusion.

• Like 1

No, unfortunately not. I hope to hear from you when you get some info's. Much appreciate.

Hmm, wow Thailand is really screwing over the younger people who are expats herr aren't they. Do they not understand that they can bring money into their economy from home, why all the red tape and bs.No other country in SE Asia makes things this problematic I swear

No, an Ex-pat is someone who is sent by their company back home to come and work for that company here .

Thailand has quite lax Visa regulations , most other SEA nations have stricter Visa regulations .

Thailand is just bringing its Visa regulations into line with other Countries

No, unfortunately not. I hope to hear from you when you get some info's. Much appreciate.

Will do, in fact our operation department has been contacting the departments including TAT and the MFA for the past one month already. Its not a big problem as most stay only for not that long but the peak season is coming early next month.

Nonessential post. An elite visa would not suit him nor would this ridiculous METV. Elite visa for young folk on a METV thread is for what exactly.

The elite visa is a tourist visa and arguably the right visa for a tourist that wants to live here long term.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

My point about your point is that although people can live in Thailand for as long as they want using multiple tourist visas, the restrictions by embassies/consulates, the cancellation of 2 and 3 entry TR's, and a new METV with tougher criteria all make it harder to stay here long term. And it suggests that the authorities do not want tourist visas to be used as a way to stay here long term.

Again this METV could take away all those consulate-specific issues and streamline the process of staying 9 months at a time, actually making it easier. We'll have to wait and see. At the moment people are just projecting their own assumptions and prejudices onto the actions of the Thai authorities.

• Like 1