METV: I'm confused

The Danish embassy makes no mention of having a job. You are jumping the gun by assuming that all embassies/consulates will have the same criteria and you don't know how they might apply the job condition do retired people.

I may be or I may not be. but its a pretty severe restriction for just one embassy to have. If others dont great. except for the swiss of course. the little matter of locking 200,000 baht in a savings account for 12 months would be another surefire way to scare away retirees as well. all in all, a piss poor piece of work.

I personally would like to see a visa for under 50s who can show proof of income outside of Thailand i.e. these digital nomads that the elders seem to hate, because honestly there are many of them and they of the most part cause no harm to this place. They work and source clients outside of the country and bring money in; it could be web design, graphic design and so forth. Why has this visa never been processed or even considered by the people at the top..

Do you mean like the new METV?

I assume that if they want digital nomads here they will introduce a visa specifically for that group.

I think the situation is simple. If there isn't a visa/extension for someone to stay long term it's because Thailand doesn't want that someone to stay long term.

So did I miss the rule change to limit of single entry tv. If Thailand did not want people staying here long term where is limit to tv.

My son is planning at least a year in south east Asia . In the main los. He emailed me 're the new METV. I replied yes grab one then mix in after that a mix of 6 stamps with Many single entry tourist visas. All with extensions. Hell, he can stay here for long as he wants (almost)

The usual comprehension problems! I didn't say Thailand doesn't want people living here long term or that someone can't live here long term with tourist visas (as a tourist).

AYJAYDEE

Have you seen a revised application form ? One especially drafted for METV applications?
Please post a link to this 'new' application form.

a guy posted the requirements from the Thai embassy in Zurich the other day:

Posted 2015-11-01 10:31:59

star_big.png

POPULAR

The Thai Consulate in Zürich informed about new Tourist and Non-Immigrant-O Visa regulations starting from 13. Nov. 2015:

Single Entry Tourist Visas will be as before.

Double and Tripple Entry Tourist Visas will not be issued any more.

New Multi entry Tourist Visas will be issued but additiononal documentation will be required:

• Air ticket or booking
  • Hotel booking
  • Prove of a job in your country of residence
  • Prove of unlimmited permission to stay in your country of residence.
  • Prove of funds in a bank account of at least 7500 CHF for the last 6 month.

More Details see attachments in German.

Most of us are fully aware of the post relating to Zurich.

Not me. Where is the post about Zurich consulate? What about Basel?

AYJAYDEE

Have you seen a revised application form ? One especially drafted for METV applications?
Please post a link to this 'new' application form.

a guy posted the requirements from the Thai embassy in Zurich the other day:

Posted 2015-11-01 10:31:59

star_big.png

POPULAR

The Thai Consulate in Zürich informed about new Tourist and Non-Immigrant-O Visa regulations starting from 13. Nov. 2015:

Single Entry Tourist Visas will be as before.

Double and Tripple Entry Tourist Visas will not be issued any more.

New Multi entry Tourist Visas will be issued but additiononal documentation will be required:

• Air ticket or booking
  • Hotel booking
  • Prove of a job in your country of residence
  • Prove of unlimmited permission to stay in your country of residence.
  • Prove of funds in a bank account of at least 7500 CHF for the last 6 month.

More Details see attachments in German.

Most of us are fully aware of the post relating to Zurich.

Not me. Where is the post about Zurich consulate? What about Basel?

youre looking at it

. Your post could have stated that there already exists visas and stamps for people to stay here long term. Even single entry tv. There are so many posting about .....Thailand wanting to rid of long term stayers. Clearly they do not.

How will people able to stay in Thailand long term if this METV will only be available from their home Country ?

They have restricted the VES to a limited amount, they are doing away with the double entry Visas , it isnt yet clear how many METVs they will issue back to back.There have already been reports of people being refused even single entry Visas due to them having too many in their passport, Education Visas have been clamped down upon

If all these rules are implemented on 15 th November, which it seems very likely that they will, then there will be no option for people staying here long term without a work, retirement, marriage Visa .

I think that its quite simple, "Get the correct Visa" and if you are not legible for a long term Visa, then you cannot stay here ling term.

As their intention seems to be to close all the loop holes that allow tourists to live here permanently , I can see them restricting the single entry tourist visa .

After that, the only option left would to fly in and out every two months and stay here on VOA

• Like 1

Im one of them mentioned.

As I cant afford 100k -not even close- let alone 200k, ED will possibly be the next step for me, that being said in a similar discussion.

And I already know I'm not the only one in the neigborhhood...

BritTim nailed it correctly. This visa has certain limitations, not hard to imagine which groups are targeted.

I wonder how much the recent very bad incident played part in this.

The 6 month rule plus the proof of having a job in homeland makes it impossible for a vast majority to access the new scheme therefore either they have to rely on single entries or they have to explore other means.

Im one of them mentioned.

As I cant afford 100k -not even close- let alone 200k, ED will possibly be the next step for me, that being said in a similar discussion.

And I already know I'm not the only one in the neigborhhood...

BritTim nailed it correctly. This visa has certain limitations, not hard to imagine which groups are targeted.

I wonder how much the recent very bad incident played part in this.

The 6 month rule plus the proof of having a job in homeland makes it impossible for a vast majority to access the new scheme therefore either they have to rely on single entries or they have to explore other means.

The METV was being considered before any "bad incident" occurred.

• Like 1

Perhaps the "bad incident" cased them to add extra conditions. In particular need to obtain METV in home country. On any sensible analysis that is a weird requirement. This is a modern world and many folk are not in their own country at a time that they wish to apply for the METV.

We still don't know if they will be available at some consulates previously issuing double and triple tv

Edited by jacksam

Perhaps the "bad incident" cased them to add extra conditions. In particular need to obtain METV in home country. On any sensible analysis that is a weird requirement. This is a modern world and many folk are not in their own country at a time that they wish to apply for the METV.

We still don't know if they will be available at some consulates previously issuing double and triple tv

Try obtaining an O/A visa anywhere other than your own country.

Luke, everyone is well aware of limit to visa exempt stamp. Perhaps they will adopt new rule for tourist visa single entry. Presently they do not.

There is a thread in these forums about a German being refused a single entry Visa from PP this week, he also got refused a VOA/VES .

Try obtaining an O/A visa anywhere other than your own country.

What exactly does an O/A even remotely have to do with an.METV. Why not add I can only obtain a non imm o based on retirement outside of my home country. And relevance to METV is exactly what? On second thought skip it. So boring

• Like 1

Well so what you are saying us Thailand does not want younger people living here, bringing income to the economy and not stealing Thai jobs.. Taxes can be sorted I'm sure

You can answer to your own question by looking at the existing visas/extensions that are currently available.

ok that's fine, and then that means Thailand is either looking the other way and letting the cashflow ensue, or they have no real care for trying to allow people who are not one foot in the grave to stay here long term, for some reason. Even though we can bring money and do bring money, a lot. They are shooting themselves in the foot, but as I first stated they may know all of this and just turn blind eye to it for the most part because of course it goes on, digital nomads work here and can make a substantial living - but I have NO idea why some farang on TV totally despise or hate these types of people. What is wrong with making living and exploring the world whilst young at the same time, no hurting anybody in the process either. Bitter old bints

• Like 1

I have unlimited portability With my pension (not age) in Australia but to get that I must no longer be an Australian resident so in their system they have marked me as a thai resident but an Australian citizen. So where the <deleted> do I apply for my visa?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The biggest problem for me (& I suspect a lot of other people as well) would be the requirement for proof of employment/business ownership (I mean, who has a job where they can take 6 months off)!!!

Do any of the guys who've asked the UK consulates know if the UK will be asking for this?

How hard is it to set up an LLC (or whatever business-entity) in the UK? Or, for that matter, in some other Euro country? The business does not have to incorporated in your residency. It's easy in many USA States - you could do it all via the Post. So far, no "income" requirements for the METV, so do not have to prove a salary.

Considering at the end of the day that we are talking about a tourist visa, albeit multi entry, for the destination country needing all the information reference jobs, bank statements (as said, no income requirements yet............wink.png ) from a potential tourist, would the average tourist not question the reasons for wanting to visit in the first place?

If i was a tourist, i certainly would. The METV visa will not be the right visa for all, that's for sure.

Would the average tourist need a 6 month multiple entry visa or would the single entry visa be more than enough for the average tourist?

If they were planning to base themselves in Thailand for a SEA tour, then yes because of the convenience of the multi entry. Even in this day and age there are still people that wish to experience the holiday of a lifetime at least once.

Without defining the term tourist too much, i am talking about individuals or families not included in the masses that make up the tourism numbers through package tours.

Edit: As i said earlier, what has been said so far about this METV is certainly not for everyone, and to that end will not affect everyone.

Edited by chrisinth

The biggest problem for me (& I suspect a lot of other people as well) would be the requirement for proof of employment/business ownership (I mean, who has a job where they can take 6 months off)!!!

Do any of the guys who've asked the UK consulates know if the UK will be asking for this?

How hard is it to set up an LLC (or whatever business-entity) in the UK? Or, for that matter, in some other Euro country? The business does not have to incorporated in your residency. It's easy in many USA States - you could do it all via the Post. So far, no "income" requirements for the METV, so do not have to prove a salary.

Considering at the end of the day that we are talking about a tourist visa, albeit multi entry, for the destination country needing all the information reference jobs, bank statements (as said, no income requirements yet............wink.png ) from a potential tourist, would the average tourist not question the reasons for wanting to visit in the first place?

If i was a tourist, i certainly would. The METV visa will not be the right visa for all, that's for sure.

That signs the death warrant of backpackers

I think only if they were opting for the METV. Ordinary TV's are still available for 60 +30 day stays.

• Like 1

I have unlimited portability With my pension (not age) in Australia but to get that I must no longer be an Australian resident so in their system they have marked me as a thai resident but an Australian citizen. So where the <deleted> do I apply for my visa?

You remain an Australian citizen unless you have revoked your citizenship and Nationality.

There would be nothing which would prevent you returning to Australia using your Australian passport.

What obstacles will prevent you applying for a Thia visa in Australia?

• Like 1

Would the average tourist need a 6 month multiple entry visa or would the single entry visa be more than enough for the average tourist?

Most tourists of the kind you are visualizing would be perfectly well served by visa exempt entries. Those not well served by this approach fall into two main groups

• Wealthy individuals, digital nomads, oill workers who wish to enter the country frequently without hassle for varying lengths of time. Some of these may have special reasons to choose Thailand, and may be willing to accept hassles to come here. Most will simply go elsewhere if coming to Thailand is inconvenient.
  • People of limited means who have a strong desire to live specifically in Thailand. Often, they have partners or children here. Often, they do not qualify for Non-O visas or long-term extensions. Some of these individuals will be working illegally, but (if Westerners) rarely in occupations where they compete with Thais for the same jobs. Such people are only mildly beneficial to the local economy, but do no harm and there are frequently compassionate reasons why it would be better if they could remain.

The METV , as I currently understand the requirements, is not appropriate for either group.

I agree that the METV has a limited market but I think that's the point. IMO they have effectively done away wth 2 and 3 entry TR's because they are not needed for the average tourist, and used primarily by the groups that immigration has spent the last 9 years trying to stop taking up root.

Yep, i think you just nailed it with that post.............................wink.png

• Like 1

Forget the METV for long stay it's just a trap. The easier way to stay in LOS is still the ED VISA. Of course it cost more but you can stay 1 year n Thailand whitout showing any proofs of revenue earned. I live in Pattaya so i know a scholl called Excel Language Centre who offer a 1 year ED Visa with english courses for 17 000 baths. And if you purpose is to stay Thailand only for sunny vacation you don't need to follow the english lesson. Ask the manager when you will apply, she is very comprehensive. You just need to be present when the police immigration come to check. That's all.

So you're saying take the English course? Will immigration buy into that?

I am in the same boat mcfish. 46-47 years old, unlimited portability and to keep the portability running, I must be out the country. I have seen a few cases recently where people have gone home (over 6 months) and then being classed as a permanent resident to lose the unlimited portability and they are now stuffed. For the METV, I cannot show a job but I bring in way more then 65,000 a month. I have well over $7,000 in the bank but then, after writing a letter back to Canberra, I have asked if I can do back to back METV's, but first, I have to find out if I need a job to come back too!

All I can say, is what a mess.

Sure, the TE Visa I could buy but it has gotten so far up my nose that I have to pay 500,000 for the next three years stay (and to me, it is almost pressurised way to paying a bribe to stay here) that I may/will not pay. My Thai partner (yes, I am gay and in a Trans-gender relationship of 8 years; so it has been no short term fling and we love each other dearly) means it is impossible for me (as in other countries, even my own in Australia would allow her in as a Partner Visa) to have ANY sort of Visa to suit for us here.

We have spoken about moving for the last 3 years now to the Philippines or maybe to Laos. She can put staff on to run her business and we find a Island retreat to chill on.

Just to say, the METV has made me VERY confused, very angry as people in my position cannot do anything but stump up large amounts of cash or just walk away from it all.

I am in the same boat mcfish. 46-47 years old, unlimited portability and to keep the portability running, I must be out the country. I have seen a few cases recently where people have gone home (over 6 months) and then being classed as a permanent resident to lose the unlimited portability and they are now stuffed. For the METV, I cannot show a job but I bring in way more then 65,000 a month. I have well over $7,000 in the bank but then, after writing a letter back to Canberra, I have asked if I can do back to back METV's, but first, I have to find out if I need a job to come back too!

All I can say, is what a mess.

Sure, the TE Visa I could buy but it has gotten so far up my nose that I have to pay 500,000 for the next three years stay (and to me, it is almost pressurised way to paying a bribe to stay here) that I may/will not pay. My Thai partner (yes, I am gay and in a Trans-gender relationship of 8 years; so it has been no short term fling and we love each other dearly) means it is impossible for me (as in other countries, even my own in Australia would allow her in as a Partner Visa) to have ANY sort of Visa to suit for us here.

We have spoken about moving for the last 3 years now to the Philippines or maybe to Laos. She can put staff on to run her business and we find a Island retreat to chill on.

Just to say, the METV has made me VERY confused, very angry as people in my position cannot do anything but stump up large amounts of cash or just walk away from it all.

TTU, as your partner has a business, could you not be employed as a consultant or in some other position? It is only a thought, which would give you a non-B, work permit and piece of mind. Even if you don't meet the financial requirements for an extension, it would still be a better visa to have over the next 3 or so years.

Just a thought......................wink.png

• Like 1

How will people able to stay in Thailand long term if this METV will only be available from their home Country ?

... the only option left would to fly in and out every two months and stay here on VOA

In another thread I suggested another option to get the METV:

Enter a nearby country, FedEx your Passport and required documents to a friend, family-member, or mail-service in your home country, they forward this to the Thai consulate there, passport w/METV is returned to them, who FedEx it back to you. Now you can come back to Thailand for ~9 months. This does not violate US-laws, nor the requirements posted by the DC-Consulate for US-Citizens, and saves a long flight.

• Like 1

Forget the METV for long stay it's just a trap. The easier way to stay in LOS is still the ED VISA. Of course it cost more but you can stay 1 year n Thailand whitout showing any proofs of revenue earned. I live in Pattaya so i know a scholl called Excel Language Centre who offer a 1 year ED Visa with english courses for 17 000 baths. And if you purpose is to stay Thailand only for sunny vacation you don't need to follow the english lesson. Ask the manager when you will apply, she is very comprehensive. You just need to be present when the police immigration come to check. That's all.

So you're saying take the English course? Will immigration buy into that?

You can study any language in a Thai school to get an Ed Visa, apart from your own language .

Although some schools now state that you have to study everyday, instead of the previous two/three days per week, which means your 17000 B year course will last for just six months

You remain an Australian citizen unless you have revoked your citizenship and Nationality.

There would be nothing which would prevent you returning to Australia using your Australian passport.

you need to be a resident, (citizen is not the same) to get it but you got me thinking . The pension board and Medicare and the Oz government all have different laws regarding residancy so maybe it's not a problem

I am as well in the situation. For the Germans I am a German with residence in Thailand but I am of course still allowed to visit once or twice a year Germany and during that time I am applying my Thai visa. I just booked my flight for Oct 4, 2016 which was only 29000 Baht on KLM.

No comprehension problem. Your post could have stated that there already exists visas and stamps for people to stay here long term. Even single entry tv. There are so many posting about .....Thailand wanting to rid of long term stayers. Clearly they do not. Yes an METV if only available in home country that makes that useless for long term visitors to los. The requirements are just stupid from.the bank requirements and having a job etc are just brain dead. Many people these days have jobs that it's not so easy to demonstrate. Such as folk working on net etc. Hell, I'm retired but "play" the stock market. As for funds in a savings/current account, more than minimal is an antiquated concept of the world. Many more stupid things about the METV. NEXT time Thailand has a brain storm session they might be well advised to consult some people that can run this kindergarten.

My post was very straightforward and to the point. You've taken the discussion on from that.

A single entry tourist visa doesn't allow someone to stay here long term. The maximum stay is 90 days. The way that group stay long term is by getting back to back visas and although there is no set limit people they start to experience difficulties when applying repeatedly to the same embassy/consulate.

I agree that Thailand doesn't want to get rid of long stayers. IMO they want people entering with the correct visa for the purpose of their visit and staying as long as allowed with that visa. That's not unreasonable or hard to understand. It is however hard for people to accept that don't fit the criteria.

The problems being experienced by genuine long term tourists should be blamed on those that have circumvented the system for years and stayed here illegally. Nomads included.

The METV seems to be another blatantly obvious clue that they are not looking for tourists to stay long term.

• Like 1