SURVEY: Should Thailand legalize marijuana?

Scott

SURVEY: Should Thailand legalize marijuana?  

415 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would support the legalization of pot or at least the decriminalization since pot has a fairly long history of use in the country, but the nature of the Thai people and by extension, the people, at least in democratically elected governments, is quite conservative, so I doubt that it would happen.

The fact that Kratom leaves are still illegal are an indication of the conservative nature of the country.

Traffic is allready vely dangerous with loads of accidents. That will only get worse.

There are many drunk drivers, then we also get stoned drivers.

Also it isn't any good for the working mentality.

I don't see any advantage for when it was legal in Thailand.

Hemp should be grown (the no or low THC strain) as an alternative crop for the farmers. The fibre is strong and amongst many users is excellent in the textile industry. and It's easy to grow,.... its a weed after all ...thumbsup.gif

For medical reasons if the facts are true.. sure .. but controled. ....

Chill out everyone .. winters here .... coffee1.gif

I cannot believe anyone in their right mind believes any Thai government would ever legalise marijuana.

1. The profits from drug dealing in Thailand make some senior figures in the police, the military and politics, etc. very, very rich. They are not about to smash their own rice bowl.

2. The three big distillers/brewers here have an effective cartel and keep very close to those in power who make the laws. They would vigorously block any liberalisation of drug laws.

3. Thailand has politically active Buddhist organisations. Thailand loves to put itself forward as a protector of Buddhist teachings. Decriminalisation of marijuana would be seen here as against these mores and would be vigorously opposed.

To apply this discussion to Thailand is pointless and shows a failure to grasp the drivers that push social change here.

I cannot believe anyone in their right mind believes any Thai government would ever legalise marijuana.

1. The profits from drug dealing in Thailand make some senior figures in the police, the military and politics, etc. very, very rich. They are not about to smash their own rice bowl.

2. The three big distillers/brewers here have an effective cartel and keep very close to those in power who make the laws. They would vigorously block any liberalisation of drug laws.

3. Thailand has politically active Buddhist organisations. Thailand loves to put itself forward as a protector of Buddhist teachings. Decriminalisation of marijuana would be seen here as against these mores and would be vigorously opposed.

To apply this discussion to Thailand is pointless and shows a failure to grasp the drivers that push social change here.

The poll isn't asking for a moral judgement. I feel it should be de-criminalized but not legal. Nobody gets busted but it isn't a "weed" destination. Small fine and they take your dope if you get out of line.

Come on this poll is theoretical. Should it be legal or not? Pretty easy question.

I had a stoner come and visit recently. He ate all my brownies, finished a 4ltr box of coconut ice cream and then fell asleep in my easy chair. I also had a drunk visit. He fell into the plate glass window sometime after midnight, badly cut his forearm and passed out on the kitchen floor in a pool of blood. When we shook him awake he was angry, belligerent and refused to get treatment. Isn't it strange to think one of the above guests could be jailed for his behaviour? The severe crime of getting the munchies and telling a rambling tale with little point.

Should be legal for medicinal purposes. My aunt in law has cancer and is fading away from the chemo treatments. Reading these comments there is still a huge amount of people that follow the old Ronald Reagan stigma about cannabis. There needs to be a whole new education campaign before medicinal marijuana will be allowed even for medicine as so many people could use its benefits.

As far as recreational use in Thailand. Let's take one small step at a time.

Legalise the lot. World wide. Take the crime out of it.

I've never used drugs and never will. Although alcohol could be classed as a drug and I do imbibe from time to time.

In the meantime, before legalization, round up all of the pushers and suppliers and shoot the lot of them.

"Ever" is a long time, but you are probably right.

Turn drugs over to the medical profession. Let people get a presscription and treat them like patients rather than criminals.

The poll isn't asking for a moral judgement. I feel it should be de-criminalized but not legal. Nobody gets busted but it isn't a "weed" destination. Small fine and they take your dope if you get out of line.

It should be legalised for medicinal purposes i.e. cannabis oil as is in several US states and now Australia. The UK won't be far behind. There are many, many documented cases of cannabis oil being used as treatment/cure for several cancers plus a number of other ailments including COPD. As i suffer from the latter i have done a lot of research on this.

Traffic is allready vely dangerous with loads of accidents. That will only get worse.

I don't think there would be much of an impact on road safety if cannabis was legal. I'm way more concerned with drunk driving and driving under the influence of meth.

And what about working mentality? I have seen no problem with that in anyone I know? As you may know parts of US has legalized and parts of Europe have seriously decriminalized. I know very successful people who prefer a joint after work. I can't see it has changed their work ethics. Just because something is legal it doesn't mean one should do it 24/7. It's not like it would be accepted to go out and have a few shots of tequila on your lunch break or before you come to the office.

Thailand has a great potential to create a vibrant export market. As weed continues to be more accepted over in the west I believe people will start to urge for more and more strains from all around the world. And the classic 'Thai sticks' are famous. While weed can be grown anywhere under the right circumstances I still believe people will start to prefer "naturally grown in the Asian sub-tropic sun and soil" and similar slogans from around the world. People tend to love to have a lot of options.

There really isn't much good fact to support that weed and road accidents are connected, in fact there's quite a lot of studies that shows otherwise.

Here are some sources:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/kind-study-finds-virtually-driving-impairment-influence-marijuana/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/09/stoned-drivers-are-a-lot-safer-than-drunk-ones-new-federal-data-show/

http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-driving-a-review-of-the-scientific-evidence

http://time.com/3930541/marijuana-impact-driving/

Edited by banglassie

Unfortunately, you are probably right. Add to that that the military government is kind of moralistic in its attitudes.

While Thailand has a big drug/alcohol abuse problem, I don't think legalisation would change this. Some would change to marijuana from alcohol and other drugs, but stuff is so cheap and easily accessible here anyway. The big change would be reduced income and power for the criminal syndicates that run the drugs trade and fewer people in jail for drug related offenses. That would be all good.

Let's be fair and balanced.....for those of you who still think marijuana is dangerous, check out below and let us make alcohol illegal first and then look at places like Colorado, USA where crime has decreased 30% since the the legalization of Marijuana.

Also look at the tremendous amount of revenue pulled in by the state of Colorado for the benefit of all whom live there including the government.

Also, look at how many cancer patients are being cured using cannabinoids.

The main psychoactive ingredient in cannabis - tetrahydrocannabinol - is being used to

reduce tumor growth in cancer patients, according to an international research team.

2015 by MARCO TORRES:

5 Reasons The Most Dangerous Drug Is Not Illegal

Hundreds of millions of people indulge in one of the most dangerous drugs which is sold right over the counter. When it comes to harm done to other people and the users themselves, not heroin, crack cocaine, methamphetamines, marijuana or even tobacco come close to the health and safety hazards caused by this one depressant.

30233701-addictive.jpg

Drinking even small amounts of alcohol, as little as one drink, can increase the risk of developing cancer.

Working mentality? You must be kidding. There is basicy no working mentality in Thaiand now. Have you ever even been to Thailand?

Spot on. Legalising any sort of activity which currently involves a pay off to powerful figures is not going to happen. End of story.

Forget about the arguements for and against the idea, that is not relevant in Thailand (and most other aparts of the world for that matter, just more so in Thailand).

I don't think there would be much of an impact on road safety if cannabis was legal. I'm way more concerned with drunk driving and driving under the influence of meth.

And what about working mentality? I have seen no problem with that in anyone I know? As you may know parts of US has legalized and parts of Europe have seriously decriminalized. I know very successful people who prefer a joint after work. I can't see it has changed their work ethics. Just because something is legal it doesn't mean one should do it 24/7. It's not like it would be accepted to go out and have a few shots of tequila on your lunch break or before you come to the office.

Thailand has a great potential to create a vibrant export market. As weed continues to be more accepted over in the west I believe people will start to urge for more and more strains from all around the world. And the classic 'Thai sticks' are famous. While weed can be grown anywhere under the right circumstances I still believe people will start to prefer "naturally grown in the Asian sub-tropic sun and soil" and similar slogans from around the world. People tend to love to have a lot of options.

There really isn't much good fact to support that weed and road accidents are connected, in fact there's quite a lot of studies that shows otherwise.

Here are some sources:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/kind-study-finds-virtually-driving-impairment-influence-marijuana/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/09/stoned-drivers-are-a-lot-safer-than-drunk-ones-new-federal-data-show/

http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-driving-a-review-of-the-scientific-evidence

http://time.com/3930541/marijuana-impact-driving/

Dude i've got news for you.

Thailand isn't the sub-tropics but the ULTRA-tropics.

And i was born/raised in a country where you smell mariuhana in every street, guess why the police uses drugtests these days against it?

And thai sticks are NOT famous, they are full of seed which lowers the quality. We have much better produce which is allready exported worldwide.

Seems to me you have to lean a lot but keep drinking those banglassies in India and dream on.

Spot on. Legalising any sort of activity which currently involves a pay off to powerful figures is not going to happen. End of story.

Forget about the arguements for and against the idea, that is not relevant in Thailand (and most other aparts of the world for that matter, just more so in Thailand).

Have to make them understand they can make just as much by selling it legally. It definitely should be available for medicinal use at the very least as it would help cut down the health bill in this country & save many lives. I can see the pharmaceutical companies being against it though.

This topic falls into the category of 'discussions of clueless newbies'.

The fundamental error here is applying Western concepts and Western ethical discussions to a society that is structured very differently with the attendant very different power structures with very different priorities.

I am sorry but the level of naivety bugs me.

Actually the poll is very specifically asking the poster to make a moral judgement.

I think it should be legalized, for medical purposes. As health studies continue to progress, they show that extracts from the cannabis plant offer significant health benefits, including pain management for cancer sufferers. That said, it is not culturally acceptable here.

Ironically, the wealthiest Bhuddists in the country make their money from liquor, which is prohibited under the Bhuddists teachings. But then irony is part and parcel of life here, innit?