SURVEY: Should Thailand legalize marijuana?

Scott

SURVEY: Should Thailand legalize marijuana?  

415 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does concern me about legalising or the decriminalisation of Cannabis, is that at some point a stronger version will be produced.

When ingesting a compound - whether it is a pom, or a so callled 'recreational' drug, it's about potency, dose & route of administration.

It is not possible to OD on Cannabis if the person smokes it. But perhaps there could be an immensely concentrated product, that really could do harm.

In Farangistan, there's a synthetic cannabis available called 'Spice' which often triggers a Psychotic Episode, or an overdose event.

Cannabis Oil is very potent I believe; perhaps later, an injectable form will be available, a transdermal preparation, or a Tablet & thus causing MH issues....?

...and you have the same concerns about alcohol, which is a far more potentially damaging drug?

Like many other countries, there were no laws about marijuana in Thailand until the 20th century...these were largely brought about due to pressure - direct or indirect - from the US.....

In complying with its foundation signatory status Thailand introduced its first anti-drug laws in 1922, the Narcotics Act B.E. 2465, which laid the foundation for present day drug laws in the Kingdom.

In 1937 Thailand's second prime minister, General Phot Phahonyothin, criminalized cannabis in Thailand by passing the country's first law specifically targeting cannabis, the Marijuana Act B.E. 2477 (1937).

The current draconian laws were introduced in the 1970s at the behest of the US government......

In 1976, Thailand's King Bhumibol proclaimed the Narcotics Control Act, B.E. 2519, which mandated the formation of the US government-funded ONCB (Office of Narcotics Control Board)

considering what just happened in Paris i couldn't care less about the freedom of a few pot heads to get stoned

actually drug laws both local and international have a very relevant effect on terrorism....many terrorist organisations make use of the high prices of recreational drugs to fund their campaigns.

the high prices of what is, in the case of marijuana, a very cheap drug to produce, are largely down to the fact that the stuff is illegal. y dramatically reducing the prices of drugs (through legalisation) you pull the rug from under some of those financing terrorism

What does concern me about legalising or the decriminalisation of Cannabis, is that at some point a stronger version will be produced.

When ingesting a compound - whether it is a pom, or a so callled 'recreational' drug, it's about potency, dose & route of administration.

It is not possible to OD on Cannabis if the person smokes it. But perhaps there could be an immensely concentrated product, that really could do harm.

In Farangistan, there's a synthetic cannabis available called 'Spice' which often triggers a Psychotic Episode, or an overdose event.

Cannabis Oil is very potent I believe; perhaps later, an injectable form will be available, a transdermal preparation, or a Tablet & thus causing MH issues....?

...and you have the same concerns about alcohol, which is a far more potentially damaging drug?

Yes I do, & look how the Brewers have manipulated people into consuming more of that Physically Addictive drug.

But this thread is a discussion about Cannabis, which is why I didn't include my concerns about Alcohol in my post.

Yes I do, & look how the Brewers have manipulated people into consuming more of that Physically Addictive drug.

But this thread is a discussion about Cannabis, which is why I didn't include my concerns about Alcohol in my post.

But not stronger - I think that looking at marijuana in isolation means you don't actually understand recreational drug-taking and the aims of legalising or at least decriminalising this and / or other drugs and the inherent problems and the effects - your concern about "stronger" versions is at best a red-herring.

I think foar to many people have the wrong end of the stick and consider that the drugs themselves directly bring about the social problems associated with them.....this of course is not the case - strong or weak, a lot of the problems associated with drugs are down to the ways that society - usually ineptly - tries to handle them.

One of the main reasons that it is still illegal is the strength of the alcohol lobby in places like UK and USA. To see any of this is isolation is to ignore the elephant in the room

Edited by cumgranosalum

But not stronger - I think that looking at marijuana in isolation means you don't actually understand recreational drug-taking and the aims of legalising or at least decriminalising this and / or other drugs and the inherent problems and the effects - your concern about "stronger" versions is at best a red-herring.

I think foar to many people have the wrong end of the stick and consider that the drugs themselves directly bring about the social problems associated with them.....this of course is not the case - strong or weak, a lot of the problems associated with drugs are down to the ways that society - usually ineptly - tries to handle them.

One of the main reasons that it is still illegal is the strength of the alcohol lobby in places like UK and USA. To see any of this is isolation is to ignore the elephant in the room

Nope, my concerns about stronger versions being available are not a 'Red Herring'. As different & more potent strains have been - & continue to be produced.

People like taking drugs & some people want more of a buzz, so look for a substance or a preparation that will get them higher.

I can remember over 20 years ago, some drinks manufacturer commenting on 'Alco-pops' said that they will help make the transition from 'orange juice much easier'.

And it certainly did. When in my 20's I only drank beer, & hardly ever drank spirits. Now, it seems that young people drink all the various spirit concotions regularly.

They want more of a buzz. Whether that's due to the Brewers influencing them I don't know. But I suspect it is, as all to often Alcohol is portrayed as being 'good fun'.

And 'more is fun' - right? Of course we know that's not true.

Ingesting Cannabis alone doesn't seem to make people aggresive or commit indecent assaults.

But as we all know, when these events do occur, it is very often because of Alcohol.

If people want a stronger mix, how can you stop them?

I drank too much alcohol - for the wrong reason. To me, marijuana requires similar logic.

Most importantly, keep the drug players out of it & control quality.

ther it is a pom, or a so callled 'recreational' drug, it's about potency, dose & route of administration.

Nope, my concerns about stronger versions being available are not a 'Red Herring'. As different & more potent strains have been - & continue to be produced.

People like taking drugs & some people want more of a buzz, so look for a substance or a preparation that will get them higher.

I can remember over 20 years ago, some drinks manufacturer commenting on 'Alco-pops' said that they will help make the transition from 'orange juice much easier'.

And it certainly did. When in my 20's I only drank beer, & hardly ever drank spirits. Now, it seems that young people drink all the various spirit concotions regularly.

They want more of a buzz. Whether that's due to the Brewers influencing them I don't know. But I suspect it is, as all to often Alcohol is portrayed as being 'good fun'.

And 'more is fun' - right? Of course we know that's not true.

Ingesting Cannabis alone doesn't seem to make people aggresive or commit indecent assaults.

But as we all know, when these events do occur, it is very often because of Alcohol.

Why do you keep harping on about "stronger" as if it is the be-all and end-all? Stronger dope has been around for years - many parents are surprised by how powerful hydro and other grades are these days, but like strong alcohol, people learn to regulate it...... alcopops are a different issue...that was aiming get getting young or underage people into alcohol.....

Of course it should be legal!

If the evidence from other countries is anything to go by, road accidents will come down as less alcohol will be consumed.

But too many vested interests, too much corruption, and too little common sense for this to happen in my lifetime.

Unfortunately!

You don't have to imagine, you can look at actual data showing what happened after Colorado legalized cannabis.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/the-us-state-where-road-fatalities-have-plummeted-since-marijuana-was-legalised-10499069.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/9/14/1421209/-Since-Colorado-legalized-marijuana-highway-fatalities-are-way-down

http://www.attn.com/stories/3181/marijuana-and-driving

The Thai roads are dangerous enough with alcohol related deaths & injuries can you imagine what would happen if they legalise marijuana. If that happens then god help all of us.

If you re read my post, I have explained all this.facepalm.gif

It's all about the progression to stronger substances, which can & does lead to addiction.

Some people can regulate their intake, but way too many can't.

"It's all about the progression to stronger substances, which can & does lead to addiction." - which is proven 100% not to happen!

You don't have to imagine, you can look at actual data showing what happened after Colorado legalized cannabis.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/the-us-state-where-road-fatalities-have-plummeted-since-marijuana-was-legalised-10499069.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/9/14/1421209/-Since-Colorado-legalized-marijuana-highway-fatalities-are-way-down

The Thai roads are dangerous enough with alcohol related deaths & injuries can you imagine what would happen if they legalise marijuana. If that happens then god help all of us.

Ummmm...did you bother to click on those links?????

Yeah, all of them and the content matches the headlines:

Road fatalities in Colorado have plummeted since marijuana was legalised

Since Colorado legalized marijuana, highway fatalities are way down

Colorado has Had Record Lows in Traffic Fatalities Since Marijuana was Legalized

One article said that "driving while stoned doesn't mean it's safe" but they hadn't seen the results of this study.

http://time.com/3706491/driving-stoned-drunk-study-safety/

Driving while stoned is not as dangerous as driving while drunk — in fact, according to a new report, it’s about as safe as driving while sober once variables are adjusted for.

One thing all three articles had in common was conservatives getting their panties in a bunch over the results and trying to spin the results. One article quoted an "Anti-pot" group. But I'm sure the "Anti-pot" group was objective and fair and balanced lol.

I also read an article from FOX news who ignored the fact that traffice fatalities had plummeted since legalization and decided to focus on the fact that thc metabolites were found in the blood of people who were involved in accidents more often than before legalization. Correlation is not causation and metabolites that remain in your body months after the last use does not prove that any of these people were even under the influence.

Everyone against legalization has some financial incentive to keep it illegal. LEOs, LEO unions, people who profit from asset forfiture, for-profit prisions, prison guards, prison guard unions, drug companies, drug testing companies, beer, wine and liquor producers and resellers, officials who profit off of illegal drugs and the list goes on.

Ummmm...did you bother to click on those links?????

What they should do is make normal smoking tobacco illegal. It serves no medicinal function and is addictive as heroin if not more so. And one of the world's leading killers!

Worldwide, tobacco use causes nearly 6 million deaths per year, and current trends show that tobacco use will cause more than 8 million deaths annually by 2030.

- Source: http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm

Traffic is allready vely dangerous with loads of accidents. That will only get worse.

There are many drunk drivers, then we also get stoned drivers.

Also it isn't any good for the working mentality.

I don't see any advantage for when it was legal in Thailand.

If people smoked pot rather than drank, there is a good chance there would be less traffic deaths. People on pot are generally less aggressive, and would probably drive at slower speeds, thus less injuries. I really don't think there would be more, but I agree with you it would be a concern.

Traffic is allready vely dangerous with loads of accidents. That will only get worse.

If people smoked pot rather than drank, there is a good chance there would be less traffic deaths. People on pot are generally less aggressive, and would probably drive at slower speeds, thus less injuries. I really don't think there would be more, but I agree with you it would be a concern.

the jkey flaw in your suggestion is "rather than" - in reality they will do both.

The fact is that both drugs either on their own or together reduce you ability to drive.

Will "legalisation result in more people driving under the influence of marijuana? Well IMO that is unlikely as those users probably already are.

i think some people on this thread have assumed that legalisation would lead to a massive increase in the numbers of people using and a massive increase in use....neither is a given.

Edited by cumgranosalum

I take your point, BUT, the reality is that those who smoke weed do so already, and de-criminalisation or legalisation will not increase usage, only decrease arrests.