New SUVs for Thai market in 2016?

I'm guessing the new Juke won't be coming til 2017 but I'm curious to put a list together for upcoming models.

Anyone know if the new Kia Sorento and Sportage are coming to Thailand next year?

Also saw the X1 2.0sline is out in Malaysia. The price there is the same as the Active Tourer and higher than a 3 series base model.

I wonder if that'll be the same in Thailand? (2.5m)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea on what KIA/Yontrakit are doing in TH.

The new X1 is expected any time now, and it would be fair to assume a price increment over the current model's 1.999M - 2.799M price range. You might want to test drive first though - there have been reports of it's having poor ride quality over less than perfect roads.

2.5m would be pretty steep for this spec.. I wd hope it wd sell a at 2.2m. Let's see

The only real car to compare it to is the Benz GLA200 and GLA250 - which goes for 2.09M/2.44M + options, and is selling like hotcakes - and will also be going up in price next year.

Edited by IMHO

2.5m would be pretty steep for this spec.. I wd hope it wd sell a at 2.2m. Let's see

The only real car to compare it to is the Benz GLA200 and GLA250 - which goes for 2.09M/2.44M + options, and is selling like hotcakes - and will also be going up in price next year.

Thais can't resist a crap car because it's a Mercedes-Benz and only 2M baht.

The GLA is not a crap car, some may not like them but as IMHO indicated above, plenty do. Obviously Benz do not sell on value in LOS, but in this market, the locally assembled versions are pretty well priced compared to the previous BMW X1.

The X1 maybe a little closer to a small SUV where as the GLA is more of a lifted hatchback but they are ultimately very similar. Be a tough sell if BMW push the price too far from the GLA level.

Edited by Jitar

The GLA is not a crap car, some may not like them but as IMHO indicated above, plenty do. Obviously Benz do not sell on value in LOS, but in this market, the locally assembled versions are pretty well priced compared to the previous BMW X1.

The X1 maybe a little closer to a small SUV where as the GLA is more of a lifted hatchback but they are ultimately very similar. Be a tough sell if BMW push the price too far from the GLA level.

The X1 is a great car to drive, at least when the wife lets me drive it it is

The GLA is a nice car, I drove it in Europe. But this is more a compact SUV, sort of good for city driving than one for the countryside here in Thailand. Same for the X1. If you want a decent size SUV from BM or Benz you should get the X5 or at least the GLE.

The X1 is a great car to drive, at least when the wife lets me drive it it is

The new X1 has improved upon the current (in TH) / old (in other markets) one quite significantly - except for ride quality. It will be interesting to see if we get the same suspension tune as EU/US/AU - if we do, it might be a bye rather than buy.

Thankfully, Benz didn't give the GLA 250 AMG Dynamic model the AMG suspension here - we get the comfort suspension, which is much better suited to the roads here.

Have loved driving the GLA in Thailand. Very comfortable, smooth and deals with Thai roads perfectly.

I do wonder if the quick critics have driven it and what exactly they do not like about it or is it just that it too dear for them

I seriously doubt the critics have driven it - and if they did, the must have seriously dulled senses :P

Not sure how good an idea it is to "out" yourself as a luxury brand owner here - mostly it's better to just talk about the mainstream car(s) you own on Thai Visa ;)

The GLA250 "comfort" suspension is stiff enough to make the car handle very well but still gives a reasonable ride for Thai roads. Not as smooth as the C Class but a more sporty drive.

It's not perfect, the transmission control is a bit odd and I reckon the road noise from the 19 inch run flat tyres could be better but it's still a very nice, practical sporty little car. thumbsup.gif

Boy am I left out in the cold on this one. I have been pricing new seats for my push bike. I want a nice wide one for my tender tush. My old seat barely lasted 2 years. It just could not handle the weight I guess.

Can you imagine the response you would get on here if you made a video blog of how to save money?

The new GLC looks really nice as I do not like the looks of the GLA. Also the GLC Coupe concept car looks really nice.

https://www.mercedes-benz-leasing.co.th/calculator/

Price between 3,8mb and 4,1mb. Seems reasonable for Thailand.

Still, my favorite car at the moment is the Ford Everest - regardless that it is looked by some as "average". I just love the specs and the look.

Besides, a car that you can buy in Germany for 20.000 EUR is hardly a "luxury car". But each to their own.

The new GLC looks really nice as I do not like the looks of the GLA. Also the GLC Coupe concept car looks really nice.

Still, my favorite car at the moment is the Ford Everest - regardless that it is looked by some as "average". I just love the specs and the look.

Besides, a car that you can buy in Germany for 20.000 EUR is hardly a "luxury car". But each to their own.

Everest specs and price are spot on...it's just too darn big for many buyers.

I've written plenty about the Everest here already, but when comparing to the kinds of vehicles being talked about here, what you're getting is 80-90% the driving refinement and tech at a fraction of the cost.

The cost savings become evident as soon as you look at or feel the surfaces inside though, step on the go pedal, or refuel it wink.png If you want the Range Rover driving experience, without the price, and can live with the pickup truck interior finishes and acceleration, it's unbeatable - at the moment.

Edited by IMHO

Everest specs and price are spot on...it's just too darn big for many buyers.

In what scenarios do you see it as being too big? Even my wife, who's spent the past 3+ years driving a relatively small Evoque, enjoys driving the EV - and most of her driving is to shopping malls and around the concrete jungle ;)

The Everest size is fine, similar to the PJS and Fortuner which are similar length and width to an accord or Camry. However the extra height and macho styling make a big psychological impression on some. Hence all the rants about dangerous SUVs destroying the environment etc.

Dunno. Did not look for one to test.

The 3.2L is OK but overtaking time is not hugely different to the old PJS.

I would not want to ask the 2.2L to pull around 2.4 tonnes of EV + cargo on the Highway.

We have a 2.2L Ranger and its OK for a much lighter work ute.