New SUVs for Thai market in 2016?

The Everest size is fine, similar to the PJS and Fortuner which are similar length and width to an accord or Camry. However the extra height and macho styling make a big psychological impression on some. Hence all the rants about dangerous SUVs destroying the environment etc.

It's not the environment I'm worried about, another topic. It's the amount of room they take up on the road, and the sociopathic tendencies of some of their drivers. That's not a rant, just simple observation.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in the post above, PPVs length and width are similar to an Accord or Camry, so they take up the same amount of space on the road. Why worrying about that?

My observation is that there are plenty of crap drivers in most vehicles, not just PPVs but YMMV.

Edited by Jitar

Well maybe the hybrid xtrail is worth a look.. My wife is obsessed with mpg figures. But I'm not sure I can justify a massive suv with bootspace little bigger than the HRV

The X-Trail, the 3.2L Everest, old 2.5L PJS and 3.0L Fortuner in the same conditions all average around 10km/L. This is real world driving in traffic, all would do better on a long run etc. The efficiency advantage of the diesels is lost by their extra weight. If the Gasohol - Diesel price gap widens again in the future, the diesels win in terms of THB/L.

The 2.2L Everest and the Hybrid X-Tail may do a little better km/L.

I drove a HRV briefly and think it was doing around 12km/L. It was OK but the X-Trail and the PPVs are way more than "a little bigger".

It depends. If you buy a new model Benz or Bmw that is sought after, is brand new model, it shd hold its value very well.

Something like the new X1 will hold its value well, plus it's the type of car that'll still look good in ten years. So for longer ownership it starts to make sense.

Can't really say the same for a generic Japanese brand apart from a couple of exceptions. Most of these you'll want to replace after 3-4 years.

Edited by Cook my sock

OK maybe never is exaggerating but I don't see many Mercedes and BMW's with good resale after 10 years.

I have heard the resale spiel from BMW and Mercedes sales people but I don't see it in THB

E.G. the current X1, 2012 model for half price (asking not buying).

A 10 year old C Class are advertised for 5 - 700k, about 2M less than new price.

A Camry or Accord are around half that or 1.2M less than new price.

Japanese and Germans all mass produce so they are all generic.

I have had one Mercedes before and another now with many Japanese vehicles in between.

Personally I don't see the need to sell the Jap cars earlier.

The Mercs are nice but you gotta pay.

How is the revised 2.2 engine in the Everest?

In the new Ranger its not as quick as the old 2.5 PK Ranger due to the extra 500ish kilos. I will probably get mine chipped when a decent company has developed a system for the latest motor. I imagine it's very slow in the Everest as its even heavier and has a woman's transmission Edited by JaseTheBass

Jitar, sorry to break this to you; however, vehicles are not two-dimensional. There are parameters of height and mass to be taken into account.

Have you ever tried seeing over a SUV when trying to do a U-turn? A definition of the impossible.

Edited by bazza40

The new GLC looks really nice as I do not like the looks of the GLA. Also the GLC Coupe concept car looks really nice.

https://www.mercedes-benz-leasing.co.th/calculator/

Price between 3,8mb and 4,1mb. Seems reasonable for Thailand.

Still, my favorite car at the moment is the Ford Everest - regardless that it is looked by some as "average". I just love the specs and the look.

Besides, a car that you can buy in Germany for 20.000 EUR is hardly a "luxury car". But each to their own.

Everest specs and price are spot on...it's just too darn big for many buyers.

In what scenarios do you see it as being too big? Even my wife, who's spent the past 3+ years driving a relatively small Evoque, enjoys driving the EV - and most of her driving is to shopping malls and around the concrete jungle wink.png

Just look at the darn thing...it's HUGE. I've had big SUVs in the past (Sportrider) so one does get use to them but all things considered, unless I needed the 7 seats for family or business, I'm more than happy with the current crop of 5 seat SUVs currently on the market. Just wish I could get some of the tech and safety features of the Everest on some of these other models. (Oh, and the wheel/tires look too small for the vehicle...there's lots of dead air space in the wheel wells).

Just look at the darn thing...it's HUGE. I've had big SUVs in the past (Sportrider) so one does get use to them but all things considered, unless I needed the 7 seats for family or business, I'm more than happy with the current crop of 5 seat SUVs currently on the market. Just wish I could get some of the tech and safety features of the Everest on some of these other models. (Oh, and the wheel/tires look too small for the vehicle...there's lots of dead air space in the wheel wells).

The dead air space is for suspension travel.....Sheeesh.

The new GLC looks really nice as I do not like the looks of the GLA. Also the GLC Coupe concept car looks really nice.

https://www.mercedes-benz-leasing.co.th/calculator/

Price between 3,8mb and 4,1mb. Seems reasonable for Thailand.

Still, my favorite car at the moment is the Ford Everest - regardless that it is looked by some as "average". I just love the specs and the look.

Besides, a car that you can buy in Germany for 20.000 EUR is hardly a "luxury car". But each to their own.

Everest specs and price are spot on...it's just too darn big for many buyers.

In what scenarios do you see it as being too big? Even my wife, who's spent the past 3+ years driving a relatively small Evoque, enjoys driving the EV - and most of her driving is to shopping malls and around the concrete jungle wink.png

I was in the same situation. Loved the Everest but would never use 7 seats, so I plumped for the Wildtrak Ranger. You get most of the Everest kit especially if you go for the 3.2L version, and a bigger boot!

The dead air space is for suspension travel.....Sheeesh.

It must be really bouncy then...and just doesn't look good. I suppose if you intend to go off-road with it or load up 7 people regularly it needed. For people who need that much road and water clearance they've got a nice choice now.

Most of these you'll want to replace after 3-4 years.

I have a Pajero Sport 2011 and I would never want to replace it or sell it, it's a nice car, feels great, good looks. Would not even change it for free to a "all new PJS" as it's a real ugly car.

Also I do not share the view that a car needs "resale value" - I cannot use it as tax depreciation anyway.

If you buy a Mercedes in Thailand, you either love it and do not care about the double/triple price or you need a status car to impress somebody. For me, if I buy a Mercedes, it would be 60% love the car and 40% status.

Jitar, sorry to break this to you; however, vehicles are not two-dimensional. There are parameters of height and mass to be taken into account.

Have you ever tried seeing over a SUV when trying to do a U-turn? A definition of the impossible.

So SUV's should not be on the road, and Mini Bus's and Coaches and Trucks and Vans, is that what you're saying ?

Like Jitar said a SUV takes up no more road space than a Camry, stop your whining and get an SUV if you are so worried about the height of your car, Jesus H Christ, what is wrong with you, are you 12 years old ?

I suspect he just wishes that all SUV's, Pickups and Vans would go away - and if the roads were as good, and cars as interesting & cheap as some other places I've been, I can see the benefits of that ;)

But here in Thailand, no. I resisted for the longest time too, before succumbing to them 5 years ago. No regrets :)

I suspect he just wishes that all SUV's, Pickups and Vans would go away - and if the roads were as good, and cars as interesting & cheap as some other places I've been, I can see the benefits of that wink.png

It would be great to have a better ratio of SUV and conventional cars so I can finally switch to my favorite saloon cars and don't feel encircled by pickups any more. But as this will not happen I really enjoy driving a SUV :D

So SUV's should not be on the road, and Mini Bus's and Coaches and Trucks and Vans, is that what you're saying ?

Like Jitar said a SUV takes up no more road space than a Camry, stop your whining and get an SUV if you are so worried about the height of your car, Jesus H Christ, what is wrong with you, are you 12 years old ?

Thank you. Arguments ad hominem prove to me you've lost the argument.

I suspect he just wishes that all SUV's, Pickups and Vans would go away - and if the roads were as good, and cars as interesting & cheap as some other places I've been, I can see the benefits of that wink.png

But here in Thailand, no. I resisted for the longest time too, before succumbing to them 5 years ago. No regrets smile.png

Considering Thailand's road and weather conditions (not to mention the safety of a higher mass vehicle), an SUV is almost de rigueur.

But here in Thailand, no. I resisted for the longest time too, before succumbing to them 5 years ago. No regrets smile.png

Considering Thailand's road and weather conditions (not to mention the safety of a higher mass vehicle), an SUV is almost deriguer (don't think I spelled that right).

The suggestion I should get an SUV, if I have this right, is based on the logic that I should join the ranks of anti-social drivers in self-defence. The logic is the same as the NRA employs in America, where the solution to gun violence is more guns. Both propositions are equally flawed.

I'm not sure higher mass SUV's are necessarily safer. I see quite a few accidents involving SUV's, either stand-alone or more than one vehicle. Perhaps the "safer" characteristics are offset by more aggressive driving.

Bazza, you have gone from criticizing the amount of space SUVs take up on the road, to their height and mass and now safety. If you dislike them so much, why are you reading this thread?

Admit it, you really want one don't cha.