New SUVs for Thai market in 2016?

Bazza, you have gone from criticizing the amount of space SUVs take up on the road, to their height and mass and now safety. If you dislike them so much, why are you reading this thread?

Admit it, you really want one don't cha.

Well, it's hard to blame him for crashing an SUV thread when the washing machine passenger car segments are so dull - at least we're discussing semi-interesting cars :P

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bazza, you have gone from criticizing the amount of space SUVs take up on the road, to their height and mass and now safety. If you dislike them so much, why are you reading this thread?

Admit it, you really want one don't cha.

In a word, No. But I do enjoy challenging the mindset of those who like them. I'm reading the thread for entertainment - to me, it's strange people would talk about the style of vehicles which look like pigs with lipstick.

I suspect he just wishes that all SUV's, Pickups and Vans would go away - and if the roads were as good, and cars as interesting & cheap as some other places I've been, I can see the benefits of that wink.png

But here in Thailand, no. I resisted for the longest time too, before succumbing to them 5 years ago. No regrets smile.png

Considering Thailand's road and weather conditions (not to mention the safety of a higher mass vehicle), an SUV is almost deriguer (don't think I spelled that right).

The suggestion I should get an SUV, if I have this right, is based on the logic that I should join the ranks of anti-social drivers in self-defence. The logic is the same as the NRA employs in America, where the solution to gun violence is more guns. Both propositions are equally flawed.

I'm not sure higher mass SUV's are necessarily safer. I see quite a few accidents involving SUV's, either stand-alone or more than one vehicle. Perhaps the "safer" characteristics are offset by more aggressive driving.

I'm not really sure where your views about SUVs and their drivers are coming from but you're certainly entitled to have them. I don't find SUV drivers to be any more anti-social than the drivers of any other type of non-commercial vehicles. I would imagine that most own them because they need the extra space for family or business reasons, prefer the ride height and extra mass for visibility and safety reasons, and count on the extra ground clearance to see them home safely on the inevitably flooded roads during the Thai rainy season and through the crater sized potholes that always appear after the rain and floods have subsided.

I'm not really sure where your views about SUVs and their drivers are coming from but you're certainly entitled to have them. I don't find SUV drivers to be any more anti-social than the drivers of any other type of non-commercial vehicles. I would imagine that most own them because they need the extra space for family or business reasons, prefer the ride height and extra mass for visibility and safety reasons, and count on the extra ground clearance to see them home safely on the inevitably flooded roads during the Thai rainy season and through the crater sized potholes that always appear after the rain and floods have subsided.

Yep - In short, they're just awfully appropriate cars for most family men in this country.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Nissan X-Trail Hybrid has now been launched, with prices ranging from a very sharp 1.249M to 1.395M Baht - at the top end, undercutting the 2.5L non-hybrid equivalent by 168,000 Baht - but losing it's panoramic moonroof and 3rd row micro seats.

Unfortunately, still no airbags for the back seat :(

The new Nissan X-Trail Hybrid has now been launched, with prices ranging from a very sharp 1.249M to 1.395M Baht - at the top end, undercutting the 2.5L non-hybrid equivalent by 168,000 Baht - but losing it's panoramic moonroof and 3rd row micro seats.

Unfortunately, still no airbags for the back seat sad.png

Actually those are good specs...pano-roofs are daft to the max in Thailand's climate and the 3rd row seats are unneeded by most. Too bad about the airbags but I'm the driver so I'm good smile.png

PS: Airbags are 2 (fronts) or 4 (front and side)?

PPS: Quick check on the website shows no new colours. Funny how they make such a big deal about the "hybrid" badging and blue colour strips. There is also some confusion on the top-spec model as the drivetrain is listed as both 2x drive and 4x drive...which is it? Pricing sure is keen, however. I wonder what the warranty is on the battery?

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Actually those are good specs...pano-roofs are daft to the max in Thailand's climate and the 3rd row seats are unneeded by most. Too bad about the airbags but I'm the driver so I'm good smile.png

Depends on grade - the lower end is 2 front-airbags-only, the higher end model adds side airbags in the front.

Depends on grade - the lower end is 2 front-airbags-only, the higher end model adds side airbags in the front.

I'll stick with my higher-spec truck.

Nissan seem to be undercutting themselves.

Assuming the Hybrid combined power can provided similar performance and probably better fuel consumption, the top 2.5L model looks a tad expensive at 160k over the top Hybrid for a sun roof, 3rd row seats and 18 inch wheels.

The bottom of range is worse. Not many reasons to buy the 2.0L non-Hybrid, apart from fear of Battery replacement cost!

Edited by Jitar

V good price but gutted about the pano roof(I know I'm in the minority here) and side rear air bags.

The issue with the hybrid is that it's a big car with less boot space than an HRV. Then you have to hope real world mpg is better.

Edited by Cook my sock

Assuming the Hybrid combined power can provided similar performance and probably better fuel consumption, the top 2.5L model looks a tad expensive at 160k over the top Hybrid for a sun roof, 3rd row seats and 18 inch wheels.

The bottom of range is worse. Not many reasons to buy the 2.0L non-Hybrid, apart from fear of Battery replacement cost!

On that front, the battery has a 10 year unlimited KM warranty, so most likely someone else's problem, not yours tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

V good price but gutted about the pano roof(I know I'm in the minority here) and side rear air bags.
The issue with the hybrid is that it's a big car with less boot space than an HRV. Then you have to hope real world mpg is better.

Buy the 2.5L then.

+ sun roof biggrin.png

+ bigger boot biggrin.png

- 160k bah.gif

Edited by Jitar

On that front, the battery has a 10 year unlimited KM warranty, so most likely someone else's problem, not yours tongue.png

True, but resale value dropping in anticipation may be an issue for new buyers wanting to keep the car beyond 5 years or so. I wonder how much any of the current hybrids will be worth when they reach 8 or 9 years old ? Bit like an exaggerated version of BMW & BSI.

Edited by Jitar

True, but resale value dropping in anticipation may be an issue for new buyers wanting to keep the car beyond 5 years or so. I wonder how much any of the current hybrids will be worth when they reach 8 or 9 years old ? Bit like an exaggerated version of BMW & BSI.

What will any non-pure-electric be worth in 10 years time? tongue.png

Presumably, battery tech only gets cheaper, and give it enough time and the aftermarket will start servicing battery replacements too.

Edited by IMHO

Need help lads regarding the X Trail rolleyes.gif

Have put a 10,000 baht deposit down on the 2.5 after getting a discount of 45,000 baht.

I don't need a Hybrid ( due to low mileage ) don't need a sunroof and i don't need 7 seat's.

What one do i go for ? or is it a no brainer due to the 123,000 baht difference ?

What will any non-pure-electric be worth in 10 years time? tongue.png

Presumably, battery tech only gets cheaper, and give it enough time and the aftermarket will start servicing battery replacements too.

Apparently Amnuay in Chiang Mai has built up a good reputation for replacement of ageing car aircons. So yes, the same thing should happen with car battery replacements - all it takes is an entrepreneur to fill the niche.coffee1.gif

Need help lads regarding the X Trail rolleyes.gif

Have put a 10,000 baht deposit down on the 2.5 after getting a discount of 45,000 baht.

I don't need a Hybrid ( due to low mileage ) don't need a sunroof and i don't need 7 seat's.

What one do i go for ? or is it a no brainer due to the 123,000 baht difference ?

Would you pay an extra 123K (USD$3400 / EUR 3200 / GBP 2220 / AUD$4800) for a moonroof, 3rd row seats and 1" larger wheels if those were the only differences?

If you don't want the extra seats, sunroof, 18" wheels and a (space saver) spare tyre, the Hybrid is gonna be hard to beat but a test drive would probably help decide.

The 2.5L performance is OK, it is higher geared and the CVT works pretty well, it has enough power to get around without annoying revving like some CVTs (e.g. the 2.0L Non Hybrid). Fuel consumption test results for the 2.0L are also about the same as the 2.5L so the 2.0L non hybrid does not have much going for it.

Hybrid's gearing is still lower but the additional torque from the electric motor should help performance similar to the 2.5L with the benefit of better fuel consumption for city driving.

At least Nissan has found a use for mid market Hybrids. It will be interesting to see what Nissan does with the price structure next year when the tax rates increase. The Hybrid will probably get a bigger increase than the 2.5L.

Edited by Jitar

If you don't want the extra seats, sunroof, 18" wheels and a (space saver) spare tyre, the Hybrid is gonna be hard to beat but a test drive would probably help decide.

The 2.5L performance is OK, it is higher geared and the CVT works pretty well, it has enough power to get around without annoying revving like some CVTs (e.g. the 2.0L Non Hybrid). Fuel consumption test results for the 2.0L are also about the same as the 2.5L so the 2.0L non hybrid does not have much going for it.

Hybrid's gearing is still lower but the additional torque from the electric motor should help performance similar to the 2.5L with the benefit of better fuel consumption for city driving.

At least Nissan has found a use for mid market Hybrids. It will be interesting to see what Nissan does with the price structure next year when the tax rates increase. The Hybrid will probably get a bigger increase than the 2.5L.

Presumably, the X-Trail hybrid is still above 100gm/KM (but below 150), so gets a tax increase next year, along with it's non-hybrid versions.

FE using the standard EU testing cycle normally used in TH is anticipated to be around 15KM/L combined, but official figures are currently only available using the non-comparable Japanese testing cycle (>20KM/L on that).

What's most interesting is how aggressive they've gone on pricing - it really upsets the value propositions of the CR-V, CX-5 and Craptiva, IMHO.

I wonder if/when we'll get a hybrid Teana with similar sharp pricing? That could be a real game changer in the D segment...

The CX-5 may hold on to its small share OK cause the 2.5L version is 1.4M and a better drive, for those who like its looks and bother to try it.

The CR-V and non hybrid X-Trails are gonna be a tough sell.

Does anyone buy Craptiva's now?

Just goes to show how much Toyota and Honda have been milking out of their Hybrid Camry and Accords.

Edited by Jitar

Is it only me.?. Ask a Thai what KPL they get and the reply is Why.?. No Idea.!! Ask a Ferang and listen for an hour.

You're asking the wrong question to them tongue.png

Ask them how many Baht per KM it costs them to run their car - that one they will know smile.png

Edited by IMHO