Danish seniors revealed for fraud in Thailand

webfact

Danish seniors revealed for fraud in Thailand

OLDPEO.jpg

COPENHAGEN: -- 24 Danish seniors living in Thailand has been caught red-handend for cheating with their pension valued for over two million Danish kroner.

A single Danish senior in Thailand receives 13.000 Danish kroner before tax, but if he is living together with a Thai woman he will only receive 11.000 Danish kroner.

By omit announcing the fact they are living together with a Thai woman, the Danish seniors has in three years been received a bigger pension income.

”During 2013, 2013 and 2014 we have examinated the total of 435 seniors addressed in Thailand. 24 of these have now received a refund claim consisting of 2,1 million Danish kroner in total, says Ellen Dalsgaard Zdravkovic, deputy director in Udbetaling Danmark (The Cash Payment in Denmark).

The 24 seniors has not announced about their civil relationships, but none of the seniors have been reported to the police for benefit fraud. They have only been requested to return back the ineligble money to tax.

The last couple of years there has been placed additional control to abroad payouts due to a new authorisation to the Danish finance act in 2011.

”This means we can set more focus on payouts to seniors settled outside Denmark, in this case Danes living in Thailand”, says Ellen Dalsgaard Zdravkovic.

A few seniors has still not announced anything about their civil relationship.

Sources: www.ekstrabladet.dk

Source: http://scandasia.com/danish-seniors-revealed-for-fraud-in-thailand/

sca.jpeg
-- (c) Copyright Scandasia 2015-11-02

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A single Danish senior in Thailand receives 13.000 Danish kroner before tax, but if he is living together with a Thai woman he will only receive 11.000 Danish kroner.

This sounds like it is specific to those cohabiting with Thais. If he is living with a Cambodian women does the same apply? It appears this is a translation so I guess the English is not perfect.

What is very clear is that this is a ridiculous and mean law. So you live with another - how does that effect your personal financial status?

Many, (like me) assume the Scandinavian countries are good at looking after citizens, but these punitive 'punishments' show they are just as hypercritical and petty as the rest...

A single Danish senior in Thailand receives 13.000 Danish kroner before tax, but if he is living together with a Thai woman he will only receive 11.000 Danish kroner

​and in Thailand a single senior needs 800,000 baht for an extension, but if married to a Thai woman only need 400,000 baht.

amazing how much cheaper it appear to be to live with a Thai woman... blink.png

11000 Danish Krone equals

57851.29 Thai Baht

it says 11,000 Danish Krone.. not Thai Baht.

ah i see.. even after conversion it is still below what is required to continue living here? i'm not sure about that.

Edited by RT85

This sounds like it is specific to those cohabiting with Thais. If he is living with a Cambodian women does the same apply? It appears this is a translation so I guess the English is not perfect.

What is very clear is that this is a ridiculous and mean law. So you live with another - how does that effect your personal financial status?

Many, (like me) assume the Scandinavian countries are good at looking after citizens, but these punitive 'punishments' show they are just as hypercritical and petty as the rest...

Many think that a couple can live together more cheaply than two lone single people.

Also, maybe this law wasn't framed with expatriates in mind.

In the UK, if a couple is married, they get more favourably treated for income tax.

Which (11k) would put him below the required 65k income for retirement stay in Thailand so kind of understandable why not being reported by even those that are otherwise honest.

His or her pension does not stop them having 800,000 bahts in their bank account... So , no need to declare their pension.. 90% of Farangs I know here on retirement visas do it with their cash savings.. So easy this way.. But living in the sticks you would not need to know that... whistling.gif

Many think that a couple can live together more cheaply than two lone single people.

In the UK, if a couple is married, they get more favourably treated for income tax.

Well, should two retired Danish were to be living together as a couple, the amount paid out would be 22,000... Edited by trogers

So, if I am understanding you correctly, the law presumes if you live with another person then both will have their benefits reduced (As it is supposedly cheaper), but this is only possible if both receive benefits from the government...

I am not affected by this, but find it interesting that the supposed 'generous' countries are just as horrible to their citizens when they want.

So, a massive international fraud has been uncovered!!! An underwhelming majority of 24 people have been hunted down by an international task force investigation. Each has been getting away with 10k baht per month!

The Kroner must surely rise on this news...

Thank god I am not Danish...

Edited by ParadiseLost

Ok, so according to the Danish authority, a single senior will receive 13000 kroner, but if he has a partner to support, he will get 2000 kroner LESS?

It that not backwards? If the senior has to support a partner, should he not be getting MORE? Is the assumption that the partner is employed and contributing to the household income? Would it not then be appropriate to ask for a declaration of income from the partner, and then adjust the pension payout accordingly? Or does that make too much sense?

Ok, so according to the Danish authority, a single senior will receive 13000 kroner, but if he has a partner to support, he will get 2000 kroner LESS?

It that not backwards? If the senior has to support a partner, should he not be getting MORE? Is the assumption that the partner is employed and contributing to the household income? Would it not then be appropriate to ask for a declaration of income from the partner, and then adjust the pension payout accordingly? Or does that make too much sense?

Would make sense if the law seeks to pair retired Danish couples, instead of creating sugar daddies...

How can they prove you are living with somebody full time ? ..They have agents hiding in the woods lol .B.T.W 13K Kroner is a very generous amount ,hey even with 11k Kroner you can live very well in Thailand .If now enough to show for immigration ,such people should easily have the B800k saving to show .Heck there are people who will lend it to you for the required 3 months if nessary .For a fee.

Edited by anto

Can somebody explain to me WHY you would get less pension if you live together with a Thai partner who - I guess - has no income.

I know a friend who just hired a separate room for THB 2.500 and move some of their stuff in it but never stay there, just a room so it looks like he stays alone...

Can somebody explain to me WHY you would get less pension if you live together with a Thai partner who - I guess - has no income.

I know a friend who just hired a separate room for THB 2.500 and move some of their stuff in it but never stay there, just a room so it looks like he stays alone...

Would make sense if the law seeks to pair retired Danish couples, instead of creating sugar daddies...

Yep, the Danish government need every kroner now to finance and shoulder the burden of the hundreds of

thousands of the "new citizens" who's lining up the social benefits queues in their thousands.....

Edited by ezzra

whistling.gif Why do assume that laws in any country must make ense?

in my 68 years od experience in different countries I have often seen silly and downrifgt stupid laws in many of those countries.

Thailand is no diferent, nor is my "home country" of the U.S.A.

Has anybody been able to find the original source?

I tried, found nothing.

Surely, something was lost in the translation, making it rather pointless to comment on this case.

Unless the Danish pension criteria dictates otherwise the OP doesn’t make sense. As a single person monthly pension benefit, as of 2010, was 5658 Danish Kroner, therefore 67,896 Danish Kroner p.a (currently roughly 360k Thai Baht); you would assume the rates have increased since 2010. Danish Aged Pension criteria and payment rates 2010…

http://eu-borger-rettigheder.dk/uf/30000_39999/36759/d1d181ae416d06da06fa61d6a0a52668.pdf

Im danish, and if you are staying in countries outside EU, can you only get the lowest pension, and is this year 5900 d.kr. before tax. The danish government have the last years 1 person working in Thailand, only to check this thing, so the 2.1 mill is not much, think they have used more money than they get

I think that Scandasia was a bit too fast to bring this kind of story. First of all the tabloid "Ekstrabladet" cannot be regarded as being truthful, but usually comes with some "sensational" news like the one about "Senior citizens". Definition of a senior citizen is a person who has reached the age over 60 or over 65.

A Danish retiree living in Thailand receives a basic pension of around DKK 70,000.- per annum or close to THB 6,000.- per month or THB equalling THB 31,000.- at current rate of exchange. This amount is paid out irrespective if you are married, co-habiting or otherwise. The amount is the same. Please note the amount is before tax.

If a Danish retiree would be living in Denmark or within the EU, he/she would be eligible to some additional benefits/allowances. Health Insurance/hospitalization is one of them. A retiree in Thailand must take out his/her own health insurance, which can be difficult/complicated all depending on the circumstances such as health issues.

What the article could relate to are persons that for one reason or another are not available to the working environment due to some handicap or illness. In Denmark these persons are called "pre-retirees" and could have any age. So if the article refers to this group of persons, then it is correct that there is a differentiation between single and married/cohabiting.

For the Danish authorities to check up was a relatively task as they only contacted persons with a registered address in Thailand. Where the check up went wrong was to catch the many persons living in Thailand having a cover-up address within the EU thereby receiving all kind of benefits.

A single Danish senior in Thailand receives 13.000 Danish kroner before tax, but if he is living together with a Thai woman he will only receive 11.000 Danish kroner

​and in Thailand a single senior needs 800,000 baht for an extension, but if married to a Thai woman only need 400,000 baht.

amazing how much cheaper it appear to be to live with a Thai woman... blink.png

If you're legally married to one, co habitation doesn't count.