Bikes in Samui ferry

recom273

I'm wondering, if I'm taking my Versys to Samui on the ferry, do I need to think about strapping it down.

In was reading a few forums and guys strap their bikes down to a rail ( in the states ) I'm guessing this kind of measure doesn't apply here ?

A few months back I rode down to Malaysia and crossed to Penang on the ferry, just as we were docking a wave came and slammed us into the dock wall, the bike tipped away from the side stand and ended up knocking a couple of scooters over, domino style. I wasn't ready for the bump and I don't think I could have held the bike even if I was.

Do I need to worry ? Is there a better ferry company to use that worries about putting big bikes next to rails, do I sit on it for 90 mins or do I just cross fingers.

Any advice is appreciated.. Cheers

Edited by recom273

my concern is usually more about getting on and off the ferry than the actual trip. Always worried about going off the ramp! Although I have never done the crossing when it's rough.

The Thai motorcycle riding test requires a ride-the-plank type of challenge.

Now we know why.

It is your bike mate, if you think it necessary do so, be on the safe side as the ferry company won't give a monkeys.

I would take a simple cambuckle strap (not bungy) and stuff your coat/something between bike and rail.

It is your bike mate, if you think it necessary do so, be on the safe side as the ferry company won't give a monkeys.

I would take a simple cambuckle strap (not bungy) and stuff your coat/something between bike and rail.

I was more thinking of parking the bike with the stand next to a rail, then getting a ratchet strap and pulling the bike towards the stand. The Versys is so top heavy.

This is why I asked for previous experience on the ferry, do the loaders understand that bikes can topple and make arrangements to position bigger bikes ?

Edited by recom273

I have done it several times, i use the seatran ferry from donsak, the thing is so big and slow there is no chance of any mishaps, they do have straps for bikes although they dont use them, just wooden wedges under the wheels to stop it rolling. nothing to worry about, go up to the seating area and relax!

I have done it several times, i use the seatran ferry from donsak, the thing is so big and slow there is no chance of any mishaps, they do have straps for bikes although they dont use them, just wooden wedges under the wheels to stop it rolling. nothing to worry about, go up to the seating area and relax!

Cheers bud .. Just what I wanted to hear. Maybe I have to think again on the day, because like I say the center of gravity is higher than the average bike.

How about the police on Samui ? - I haven't been there for 15 years and I got a ticket for no helmet then.

Cheers bud .. Just what I wanted to hear. Maybe I have to think again on the day, because like I say the center of gravity is higher than the average bike.

How about the police on Samui ? - I haven't been there for 15 years and I got a ticket for no helmet then.

Certainly agree with B1ade.... in all my trips I have never strapped the bike down.....

Police are not a problem, if you wear your helmet.... road side checks can pop up anywhere around the island!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a follow up after making the new year trip.

On the outgoing ride, the guy brought chocks and put one under the bash plate to balance the bike up and one under the front wheel.

The sea was quite choppy and everything was fine.

On the way back, no one bothered to chock the bike, so we pulled some guy over who stuck a chock upto the carbon box of the pipe and was just about to kick it home and I stopped him - which he didn't like and walked off.

We got another guy over who knew what to do.

So, if you are using the ferry, maybe stick about and make sure the job is done properly either under the engine or on the swing arm.