Running very hot?

DavidBonnie

Hi Fellas,

A few months ago I bought a Triumph Street Triple. It's 5 years old, in great shape and only 16k mileage.

I have owned three Speed Triples in the UK previously and none of them behaved in exactly the same way but;

The temperature guage rises quickly but stays below the red zone by a couple of blocks.

Within a short time of riding in traffic the heat generated by the engine becomes uncomfortable on the underside of my legs!

When I can ride without stopping unfettered by Bangkok traffic everything is fine but I noticed that unlike my previous bikes the fan does not continue to work when the engine is switched off and I park up.

I had the electrics checked and was told the fan works properly but as I think it is triggered by a certain temperature attained (100 degrees?) why does it shut off, surely it should continue to run until the engine has cooled. Makes me wonder if it works at all.

Any advice gratefully appreciated. Could I fit a better fan?

Regards

Good reference.

So to test, run it til it's really hot, then shut it off.

If the fan runs, that's good.

Otherwise, go with the Volvo thing?

The heat on the legs is sign the cooling system is working.

Water temp gauge..okay.

Okay.

Don't worry.

Edited by papa al

Normally engines are designed to run at 40% full scale, or rather that is what the gauges are calibrated at, is that what you are getting?

My NV, also with an "uncowelled engine" feels hot especially in traffic, but doesn't overheat and that is only 400cc, more power = more heat.

Normally thermostatically controlled fans over run the engine to dissipate heat, but with the water pump off and not circulating it cannot do very much, my fan is manual only, so goes off with the ignition, haven't had a problem there.

Hi,

Interesting responses. Thanks Much fellas.

Ha Ha Bangkooked is right! Not to mention the amount of traffic including the myriad motos whizzing across lanes, taking one's ground etc.

A big bike is definitely not the best in heavy traffic like that. Fortunately it only takes me 15 minutes to work.

The fan does not stay on after the ignition is switched off but the temp guage has never risen above 60% or so even after an hour or more in stop/start traffic.

Wearing the right gear like I wore in England is a no-go here! I have tried but leather trousers or anything with kevlar inserts, way too hot.

I sometimes wear a jacket for longer distance travel but short journeys . . .too hot.

I do wear a helmet though! Many do not even do that. There are a lot of Kawasaki ER 650's here and I have seen them being ridden by Thais in shorts and flip-flops!

post-174404-0-78853900-1446685748_thumb.

Yep nice bike ,same model I had but mine had fairings(Daytona),next time it's hot feel the frame that will be red hot to,when I read up on it it seems to be something to do with the way the engine us mounted to the frame and materials used in frame,off coarse underseat exhaust doesn't help.

I gave up commuting on mine in the end used it for few trackdays and sold it on.

Asbestos trousers?.... worked for Burt Monroe?goof.gif

Or do what the Thais, and apparently the Ausies do......wear a lot of talcum powder.

Sorry Bruce for giving that one away.........

Edited by AllanB

Cool bike.

Sadly,

The price of 'cool' is sometimes high...

temp.

I couldn't agree more. Although I don't have a Triumph Triple I do have a Ducati Diavel and it exhibits similar characteristics when running slow in city traffic. 100+ HP and the heat has to go somewhere. As long as the fans keep the temp out of the red line I wouldn't worry about it and as for the heat coming up on your legs, I think that is normal on any large motorcycle with a lot of HP.

My Diavel is the same way, the fan comes on at 103 and redline is 120. In heavy city traffic it will get past 110 and be very uncomfortable to ride due to the heat coming off the engine. When I shut it off the fans shut off also but if I leave the ignition on and kill the engine they will keep going until the temp drops below 103. Sometimes if I'm at a long traffic light and it's already above 103 I'll kill the engine and leave the fans on and then start the bike up before the light turns green. As papa al said, it's the price of riding a cool bike smile.png .