Average Thai consumes 26 teaspoons of sugar per day: officials

Jonathan Fairfield

So are there any drinks sold at 7/11 that are 'healthy' and do not contain sugar, carbohydrates etc.

All I see are sweetened drinks.

Any specific drinks/brands to look out for?

Milk, unsweetened green tea, Gatorade, water, diet drinks...

Gatorade has about the same sugar content as the soft drinks though.

Coke light and Coke zero are the two choices for the people like me who wants something sweet to drink but are constantly fretting about calorie intake.

Wrong my friend!!

Zero and light drinks cause more obesity than sugar - don't believe me, then check the literature from independent scientists and health officials (not the drink producers though as they are manipulative liars).

If you are going to live unhealthily then don't deceive yourself by taking the zero calorie route.

But...they contain zero calories. I hope you understand how absurd your statement is. Please tell me what your independent scientists say?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most bang for the BAHT in combating the global obesity epidemic which now includes Thailand is to PREVENT children from becoming obese in the first place. Sure exercise is important for that, but the general scientific consensus now is that what we EAT is much more important. Once children become obese, based on current medical tactics for weight loss, it is known the vast majority will become obese adults and have a lifetime struggle. In other words, even when they lose weight, they will probably gain it back, and more, again and again.

In my opinion prevention of obesity in children should be a top priority for the government here. But I'd say that about most countries now. But Thailand with it's sugar madness is especially vulnerable of a continued rapid increase in obesity.

"The government" (any in the world) doesn't give jack shit about the you, your children or the people. The only function and need "the government" has is to preserve it's own power and expanding it. To rely on "the government" for anything is absurd and naive at the same time.

Only way to prevent obesity in children is to make sure that parents are informed about general nutrition.

It does when it has to foot the bill for obesity or diabetes. There is a cost to society in having a populous that is fit or unfit.

From the CBC news

"Artificial sweeteners may exacerbate, rather than prevent, metabolic disorders such as Type 2 diabetes, a study suggests.

Calorie-free artificial sweeteners are often chosen by dieters in part because they are thought not to raise blood sugar levels.

In Wednesday’s issue of the journal Nature, researchers report that artificial sweeteners increase the blood sugar levels in both mice and humans by interfering with microbes in the gut. Increased blood sugar levels are an early indicator of Type 2 diabetes and metabolic disease".

usa-sodas-california.jpg

Artificial sweeteners may set the stage for diabetes in some people by hampering how their bodies handle sugar, scientists say. (Sam Hodgson/Reuters)

The increase in consumption of artificial sweeteners coincides with the obesity and diabetes epidemics

and from the Scientific American journal

"Last year, though, a team of Israeli scientists put together a stronger case. The researchers concluded from studies of mice that ingesting artificial sweeteners might lead to—of all things—obesity and related ailments such as diabetes. This study was not the first to note this link in animals, but it was the first to find evidence of a plausible cause: the sweeteners appear to change the population of intestinal bacteria that direct metabolism, the conversion of food to energy or stored fuel. And this result suggests the connection might also exist in humans".

It isn't simply the balance of calories in calories out!! There are trillions of chemical reactions going on in the body at any given time.

I could quote 100's of tests and studies that point to the same thing - I even went as far as explaining this in an earlier post.

Edited by lucky11

The most bang for the BAHT in combating the global obesity epidemic which now includes Thailand is to PREVENT children from becoming obese in the first place. Sure exercise is important for that, but the general scientific consensus now is that what we EAT is much more important. Once children become obese, based on current medical tactics for weight loss, it is known the vast majority will become obese adults and have a lifetime struggle. In other words, even when they lose weight, they will probably gain it back, and more, again and again.

In my opinion prevention of obesity in children should be a top priority for the government here. But I'd say that about most countries now. But Thailand with it's sugar madness is especially vulnerable of a continued rapid increase in obesity.

"The government" (any in the world) doesn't give jack shit about the you, your children or the people. The only function and need "the government" has is to preserve it's own power and expanding it. To rely on "the government" for anything is absurd and naive at the same time.

Only way to prevent obesity in children is to make sure that parents are informed about general nutrition.

It does when it has to foot the bill for obesity or diabetes. There is a cost to society in having a populous that is fit or unfit.

No it doesn't, it's the people who foot the bill for obesity and diabetes, not "the government".

No it doesn't, it's the people who foot the bill for obesity and diabetes, not "the government".

A cost to society then. In Thailand the 30 baht system will end up covering lots of costs for diabetes. Either the people pay themselves or their taxes will pay. It is smart to try to encourage your society not to be obese.

Yes, of course.

Those who say this can be solved by education alone are not looking at evidence from other countries.

The truth is education is needed, yes, and where does education come from mostly? Governments.

But on top of education much more aggressive tactics are needed that address the insidious OBESITY PROMOTING FOOD ENVIRONMENT in modern societies. This touches on formulations of mass market processed foods, warning labels, and yes possibly taxation. Big corporations won't change their recipes and what they sell and push without external PRESSURE. They go for what's cheapest that makes the most profit. That's all they care about. So if you think government doesn't care, corporations care even LESS.

From the CBC news

"Artificial sweeteners may exacerbate, rather than prevent, metabolic disorders such as Type 2 diabetes, a study suggests.

Calorie-free artificial sweeteners are often chosen by dieters in part because they are thought not to raise blood sugar levels.

In Wednesday’s issue of the journal Nature, researchers report that artificial sweeteners increase the blood sugar levels in both mice and humans by interfering with microbes in the gut. Increased blood sugar levels are an early indicator of Type 2 diabetes and metabolic disease".

usa-sodas-california.jpg

Artificial sweeteners may set the stage for diabetes in some people by hampering how their bodies handle sugar, scientists say. (Sam Hodgson/Reuters)

The increase in consumption of artificial sweeteners coincides with the obesity and diabetes epidemics

"Last year, though, a team of Israeli scientists put together a stronger case. The researchers concluded from studies of mice that ingesting artificial sweeteners might lead to—of all things—obesity and related ailments such as diabetes. This study was not the first to note this link in animals, but it was the first to find evidence of a plausible cause: the sweeteners appear to change the population of intestinal bacteria that direct metabolism, the conversion of food to energy or stored fuel. And this result suggests the connection might also exist in humans".

It isn't simply the balance of calories in calories out!! There are trillions of chemical reactions going on in the body at any given time.

I could quote 100's of tests and studies that point to the same thing - I even went as far as explaining this in an earlier post.

I then hope you don't eat anything and only drink water... because anything else will raise your blood sugar levels (you know, glycose).

Yes, it's not really as simple as "calories in and out" as there are different reactions in the body depending on what kind of calories you eat/drink but i guarantee you that anyone overeating "for a period of time" will gain fat on their body and anyone undereating "for a period of time" will lose fat from their body. To deny this is just bizarre.

Yes, of course.

Those who say this can be solved by education alone are not looking at evidence from other countries.

The truth is education is needed, yes, and where does education come from mostly? Governments.

But on top of education much more aggressive tactics are needed that address the insidious OBESITY PROMOTING FOOD ENVIRONMENT in modern societies. This touches on formulations of mass market processed foods, warning labels, and yes possibly taxation. Big corporations won't change their recipes and what they sell and push without external PRESSURE. They go for what's cheapest that makes the most profit. That's all they care about. So if you think government doesn't care, corporations care even LESS.

There will be a sugar tax in the UK, and a change to packaging for sure. The media in the UK is constantly full of stories about hidden sugar content in processed foods. They reduced salt industry wide in the UK and the consumers isn't even note the difference.

Next will be sugar. The companies know what they are doing. Sweetness sells.

But don't forget it was govt policy to support reduced fat which is now being seen to have been misguided.

Edited by Thai at Heart

The added sugar thing is incredibly insidious. It is not only about people feeding their sweet tooth. Nothing wrong with doing that at all IN MODERATION.

Many or most of the popular processed foods are PACKED with added sugar and formulated in such a way that the food doesn't even taste sweet. It's basically a cheap trick to produce popular foods. Popular but deadly.

Don't kid yourself, for most people who aren't heath food obsessed elites, it's quite DIFFICULT to navigate your food intake to avoid eating excess sugars in it's many hidden forms. To attack this problem, this has got to be made EASIER for the masses.

It's possible to do. The problem is having the POLITICAL WILL to do it. Sadly, things need to get to CRISIS LEVELS as in Mexico before anything meaningful is usually done, and then it is too late for a large portion of the population.

Thailand actually has an AMAZING opportunity now to be a leading example to the world on what can be done about this in the EARLIER STAGES of a national obesity epidemic. The trendline is headed towards Mexican levels here. Thailand can stop this. But will they? Of course, no reason for optimism.

Edited by Jingthing

From the CBC news

usa-sodas-california.jpg

I then hope you don't eat anything and only drink water... because anything else will raise your blood sugar levels (you know, glycose).

Yes, it's not really as simple as "calories in and out" as there are different reactions in the body depending on what kind of calories you eat/drink but i guarantee you that anyone overeating "for a period of time" will gain fat on their body and anyone undereating "for a period of time" will lose fat from their body. To deny this is just bizarre.

You are well out of your depth I'm afraid.

It is more to do with what you are consuming and not necessarily how much.

If you eat 10g of HFCS and 10 g of coconut oil - which will cause weight gain? NB: one of the two will actually cause weight loss

Blimey, how much scaremongering do we all want... If you read everything and try to live by the medical advice you would eat nothing!

I am not a doctor but I am overweight and the advice I got from the doctor is simple. Eat plenty of fruit and veg, lay off fatty stuff and sugary treats and eat in moderation. Simple. What goes in your mouth goes onto your stomach.

I am currently losing about 1kg a month. I was at 125kg and 5"10",, (I am a broad frame but carrying too much beef for sure), I am comfortable at about 95 to 100kg.

All I do is eat in moderation, leave junk food alone and (very importantly) I stop eating when my hunger disappears not when my stomach is stretched to oblivion. I have noticed that I get hungry less, I need smaller portions now and I don't eat meals after 6:00pm. But I do like ice lemon tea when its hot and one every now and then is fine..

Sorry a bit longwinded but my advice is stop reading all this rubbish and just use your common sense to moderate and balance your diet (don't overthink it, we all know the golden rules really)

26 teaspoons of sugar as a statement isn't rubbish though is it?

No, it isn't. The point I was making is you can worry too much and eating in moderation and balancing your diet is the way to go.

From the CBC news

usa-sodas-california.jpg

"I then hope you don't eat anything and only drink water... because anything else will raise your blood sugar levels (you know, glycose)".

Wrong again! certain substances such as turmeric, cinnamon, chromium picolinate, bitter melon extract (gourd) are very effective at reducing your blood sugar level.

I know this because I was pre-diabetic at one time and turned it around in 2 weeks. I also, gave some advice to 2 friends who became diabetic within weeks of each other (they were diagnosed as being so) and easily reversed their diabetes type 2 in less than a month. Considering that so called diabetes experts and doctors claim it to be irreversible it just shows how much they know. Now, if they claimed that it was irreversible treating it with conventional drugs like Metformin then they have a valid point!!

The reason I think it's important and powerful to focus on the damage done to children growing up in an obesity promoting food environment is that with children people are much less to see the obesity as a free will choice and a morality flaw. In reality, so many children now are finding themselves obese before knowing what hit them, and then most of them are going to face a lifetime struggle with it, even if they lose weight, their biology is forever changed and they are highly prone to become obese again. So even for people who have a tendency to have no sympathy for obese adults, societies taking action to PREVENT more childhood obesity has more potential to find support.

From the CBC news

usa-sodas-california.jpg

If you eat 10g of HFCS and 10 g of coconut oil - which will cause weight gain? NB: one of the two will actually cause weight loss

I'm not even ankle "deep in water" yet.

Your coconut oil example is just bizarre... try drinking ONLY coconut oil and water for 3500-4000 kcal each and every day for 90 days and let's see how much weight you lose.

The solution is in four words. Eat less, move more. Getting this implemented is a completely other matter.

Really!! as simple as that.

How about eat the correct nutrient rich foods at the right time and doing the correct exercises. In other words, eat unprocessed organic whole foods with intermittent fasting and and exercise through adopting high intensity interval training and you can't go wrong.

The solution is in four words. Eat less, move more. Getting this implemented is a completely other matter.

Way too simple minded.

You can eat more, much more of HEALTH PROMOTING foods. Such as fresh vegetables.

Simple minded? What absolute garbage you sprout. All food contain calories. Your body is like your bank account. If you put in more than you take out your balance (weight) increases. Stop talking about things you know nothing of.

From the CBC news

usa-sodas-california.jpg

"I then hope you don't eat anything and only drink water... because anything else will raise your blood sugar levels (you know, glycose)".

Wrong again! certain substances such as turmeric, cinnamon, chromium picolinate, bitter melon extract (gourd) are very effective at reducing your blood sugar level.

I know this because I was pre-diabetic at one time and turned it around in 2 weeks. I also, gave some advice to 2 friends who became diabetic within weeks of each other (they were diagnosed as being so) and easily reversed their diabetes type 2 in less than a month. Considering that so called diabetes experts and doctors claim it to be irreversible it just shows how much they know. Now, if they claimed that it was irreversible treating it with conventional drugs like Metformin then they have a valid point!!

Your link was about INCREASE in blood sugar, nothing about decreasing it. Stop trying to mix apples and trains here just to try to "prove" your zealot view.

From the CBC news

usa-sodas-california.jpg

Your coconut oil example is just bizarre... try drinking ONLY coconut oil and water for 3500-4000 kcal each and every day for 90 days and let's see how much weight you lose.

I can tell that you don't have a scientific mind!!

Way too simple minded.

You can eat more, much more of HEALTH PROMOTING foods. Such as fresh vegetables.

Simple minded? What absolute garbage you sprout. All food contain calories. Your body is like your bank account. If you put in more than you take out your balance (weight) increases. Stop talking about things you know nothing of.

Yeah. I get it. You got taught the SIMPLE MATH calorie theory when a kid and haven't considered advances in scientific research since then. It's like true believers in religion. Don't bother replying. We have nothing to discuss.

Way too simple minded.

You have to understand... on this forum there are superhumans that defy any and all laws of energy because they "tell" their body so. So in their mind a product with zero calories magically turns into calories and eating "vegetables" is actually zero calories.

How about eat the correct nutrient rich foods at the right time and doing the correct exercises. In other words, eat unprocessed organic whole foods with intermittent fasting and and exercise through adopting high intensity interval training and you can't go wrong.

You have just agreed with me, however you chose to have a go at me. What an idiot you are.

Way too simple minded.

You have to understand... on this forum there are superhumans that defy any and all laws of energy because they "tell" their body so. So in their mind a product with zero calories magically turns into calories and eating "vegetables" is actually zero calories.

Stop trolling with your lies. Nobody has said zero calorie fake sugar diet has calories. There are theories as to why they do appear to promote obesity that are NOT related to calories. They've been posted here MULTIPLE times. To add, I am objective about this, and it's clear to me that a lot more research is needed for their to be definitive conclusions about the link of artificial sugar with increasing obesity.

Personally, I don't think this is rocket science.

Limit consumption of real sugars.

Don't eat fake sugars.

Wait for more evidence about fake sugars ... maybe they aren't as bad as they seem now ... but why take the risk?

Edited by Jingthing

From the CBC news

usa-sodas-california.jpg

Your link was about INCREASE in blood sugar, nothing about decreasing it. Stop trying to mix apples and trains here just to try to "prove" your zealot view.

Didn't you just state that anything other than drinking water will raise your blood glucose levels?

I have simply disproved yet another of your ridiculous statements by showing you substances that do the opposite. When I debunk your theories you just bluster away with something that I can just about make 'head or tail' of and it rather shows up your ignorance on such matters.

I can tell that you don't have a scientific mind!!

So either you know that the person would eventually get fatter even with coconut oil and refuse to admit it or you have no idea what you are on about. And of course, i should point out that the person drinking 3500-4000 kcal of coconut oil for 90 days only has about 2500 kcal caloric need a day.

Let's take a more "realistic" situation. Person X eats exactly like you say with "healthy foods". Caloric need is about 2500 kcal to maintain body weight. Each day, besides the "healthy food", person X also drinks 3000 kcal of coconut oil divided into three different times (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Are you actually saying that this person would not gain any bodyfat at all? That he might even lose weight because hey... it's coconut oil?

You have just agreed with me, however you chose to have a go at me. What an idiot you are.

I'm not having a go at you - i am simply pointing out the fact that you have over simplified it big time. You don't have to eat less, just eat the right things and do the right exercises as some exercises are a waste of valuable time and can be ineffective.

Way too simple minded.

Yeah. I get it. You got taught the SIMPLE MATH calorie theory when a kid and haven't considered advances in scientific research since then. It's like true believers in religion. Don't bother replying. We have nothing to discuss.

So you don't want me to reply to your nonsense? Sorry I can't resist. I was trained as a scientist and taught nutrition and food handling at university for four years. I know exactly how different foods affect the body. My original statement of 'eat less, move more' is correct by what ever standards you apply. You talk to Dr. Google way too much.

Edit: recalcitrant keyboard

Edited by lujanit