Average Thai consumes 26 teaspoons of sugar per day: officials

Jonathan Fairfield

you can be thin and unhealthy. chubby in average shape, and both can drink sugar all day....

you can exercise hours a day and drink 3 cans of pepsi during exercise......

you can play video games all day and only drink cans of pepsi and not eat...

i don't care diet, etc.......it's all about exercise and what else you eat, live, drink, etc....

get some blood work done if over 30 years old and use common sense.....

i think everyone should drink coffee, have some fruit, big breakfast, exercise, average lunch, stay active, light dinner, and sleep a lot

but things like work get in the way...

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twenty-six teaspoons or about 104 grams of sugar is four times more than the

recommended amount of 6 spoonfuls per day.

According to the survey, most Thais get their sugar from beverages such as

soft drinks (9 teaspoons per serving),

green tea (13 teaspoons),

coffee (10 teaspoons),

said Dr. Sutha Jiaramaneechotechai, deputy director of the Health Department

The usual Thai nonsense by the so highly qualified professionals.

Not very bright heads, are they? crazy.gif

Not quite sure why they mention that 26 teaspoons are about 4 times more

than the recommended amount of 6 spoonful per day? sick.gif

Maybe 32 is an unlucky number cheesy.gif

The article is not saying that Thais drink 1 soft drink (9) + 1 green tea (13) + 1 coffee (10) (32 teaspoons) per day. They are just used as an example to show how much sugar are in the respective beverages, hence the "most Thais get their sugar from beverages such as".

Or perhaps you think that 4 x 6 is 32? It is 24 (I confirmed with two calculators to be sure), which means that yes, 26 teaspoons is in fact about 4 times more than the recommended amount of 6 spoonfuls per day.

Now who is the dummy?

Edited by bkksteve123

Well, the current knowledge seems to be that if you eat full-fat food, you won't crave the carbs. I still have my very sweet cafe mocha in the afternoon but that's the only sweet of the day except for my orange juice at breakfast which I dilute with 50% water. It still tastes good. Actually eating lots of sugar doesn't give you diabetes. It's the overweight from eating too many calories. That said, thin people get diabetes too but keeping your weight down is a good idea for most people.

So are there any drinks sold at 7/11 that are 'healthy' and do not contain sugar, carbohydrates etc.

All I see are sweetened drinks.

Any specific drinks/brands to look out for?

A 1.5 liter of water might be the only healthy drink at 7-11. Perhaps if you look hard enough you might find a can of plain ice tea. However, they are few and far between the chemical laden offering which make up most of the selections in the store.

Edited by jaltsc

Nobody puts 10 teaspoons of sugar in their cup of coffee. Where did they come up with this number?

If you buy from the lady selling iced coffee from her stand. for 10 baht you will get a plastic cup containing "coffee", which is mostly ground up tamarind seeds and a sugar syrup over crushed ice. One taste and you will have no doubt that it contains 10 teaspoons of sugar.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Also keep in mind as an average that means many Thais are having 50 to 100!

I've been saying this for years now as Thais get fatter and fatter all the time. The difference between when I first visited here in the late 1990s and now is dramatic. Thailand is headed down the highway to MEXICO. Mexico being a similar economic level nation to Thailand with one of most severe obesity epidemics in the world.

Edited by Jingthing

I used to love Thai food but I do not enjoy it anymore.

Fried rice is sweet, soups are sweet, especially those with curry,

stir fried veggies are sweet and the oil in it tastes petrol,

everything is sweet or stuffed with MSG. Now even the (fake) crab sticks are sweet.

I cook at home from scratch now but honestly, I would like to enjoy some

traditional Thai food every once in a while.

In Bangkok it might be another story, there are so many choices available.

Not here where I live though.

Many Thai foods are easy enough to make at home and you can control the amount of sugar (and chilli!). I'm no master chef but can follow an online recipe. start with Pad Grapow - easy peasy

at this rate..they will soon equal western levels of sugar consumption !!!

Actually that puts Thailand in 2nd place in the world behind the USA at 126g and in front of Germany and Holland both at 102g.

Well if, as you say, Americans consume 126 gr of sugar a day,

then the USA is 2nd place behind Thailand wink.png .

How did you work that one out? The OP says Thais consume 104g of sugar per day.

I've been here for a few decades and REALLY enjoyed Thai food cooked everywhere. The saying went that it is not possible to come across five badly cooked meals in a year.

This - regretfully - has changed as the recipes nowadays feature absolutely unnecessary MSG (ผงชูรส) as well as sugar everywhere. This, combined with excessive use of frying oil (some dishes literally drip of oil), resulted in having Thai food only cooked at home. I have not been able to identify a decent Thai restaurant serving traditionally cooked food without MSG, sugar and/or excessive oil on Pattaya's dark side any longer - how sad!

Doesn't surprise me at all. Also keep in mind as an average that means many Thais are having 50 to 100!

I've been saying this for years now as Thais get fatter and fatter all the time. The difference between when I first visited here in the late 1990s and now is dramatic. Thailand is headed down the highway to MEXICO. Mexico being a similar economic level nation to Thailand with one of most severe obesity epidemics in the world.

You imagine. The facts don't point to that though, obesity in Thailand is low at 7% whereas in Mexico it is over 30%. Perhaps it is due to the fact that Mexicans eat three times as much fat as Thais.

The best deal is to raise the kids on sugar free education,

Create family culture no sugar consumption at home,

besides no sugar with coffees etc,, sice kids are usually adore sweets,

at home somewhat under control, but i found out that after school time they run to a shop inside the school and get what they want, since they afraid anything related to hospital or what tge doctor said because the scare of injection, started to use this idea by telling them that the doctor said they must stop eating sweets and sugar stuff, otherwise they will sick, theeth will be broken and finally will go to see doctor to get injection,,, started seeing some good results they dropped wantng sweets or asking for ice cream whenever passed seven eleven,,, workable for kindergarten ages kids a the mkment ...

Im surprised they have room for anything else! - and this is only the surface of it - this doesn't count the easily broken down short chain carbs or the fact that much of the sugar is the worst variety, high impact fructose. In many restaurants you cant even order an unsweetened ice tea now - just have to drink water. Crazy

I've been here for a few decades and REALLY enjoyed Thai food cooked everywhere. The saying went that it is not possible to come across five badly cooked meals in a year.

This - regretfully - has changed as the recipes nowadays feature absolutely unnecessary MSG (ผงชูรส) as well as sugar everywhere. This, combined with excessive use of frying oil (some dishes literally drip of oil), resulted in having Thai food only cooked at home. I have not been able to identify a decent Thai restaurant serving traditionally cooked food without MSG, sugar and/or excessive oil on Pattaya's dark side any longer - how sad!

So true. When I arrived here, I mostly had Thai food. Now, it's the exception, and I mostly cook myself.

Most schools seem to have shops that sell sweets, and it's very common for children to bring money to buy every day. Those "sweet old ladies" who sell the stuff probably have no idea what they are doing to the kids, but the teachers should. Unfortunately, most parents are totally ignorant as well, so I suppose there's little hope of improvement.

Stevia is plentiful now. Wish they would start promoting that for people who want to cut down on sugar.

I like a couple diet cokes a day. It's always the first one to sell out in the 7-11. They give it one row and regular coke about 5 rows.

most Thais get their sugar from beverages such as soft drinks (9 teaspoons per serving), green tea (13 teaspoons),

And yet the sugar free versions of those beverages are invisible in Thailand for most of the time

So are there any drinks sold at 7/11 that are 'healthy' and do not contain sugar, carbohydrates etc.

Milk, unsweetened green tea, Gatorade, water, diet drinks...

Diet Coke or Coke Zero, and sometimes you can find sugar free green tea, but not always. Also soda water or regular water. That's about it.

I like a starbucks brewed coffee, or an Americano if I am in a hurry (they always have to brew the brewed coffee). I always get stuck behind the men and women ordering their double fudge granola frappucinos topped with caramel pudding (basically an extra sweet milkshake). Probably only 1 in 5 people at Starbucks are ordering a coffee drink. Smart marketers at Starbucks!

I can't think of any food or beverage sold in 7/11 that would be regarded as healthy ( except water, maybe almonds).
One of the drinks sold at Starbucks has more than the daily calorie intake for average Thai. The iiced coffee/condensed milk abomination sold be street vendors is probably almost as bad.

And the Thais always commented on the beer guts of fat Farangs............now Thai kids have big guts.....but don't ever comment!

I just love watching on TV that high class crap "Dance Your Fat Off" it would have to be the most grotesque TV programme ever made and the Thai's love it.

1 thai word i can recognise is 'sugar'. its easy to spot on any food label. just look for the highest % of something in that food and just to the left is the small squiggly thing that reads 'sugar'.

1 particular mayonaise on sale has 58% sugar in it. thats not mayo, thats custard! and does anyone else enjoy eating spaghetti with syrup/meat sauce? i dont. and i dont want custard on my salad neither do i want my sliced bread to taste like doughnuts.

i tried to suggest to the missus that if she only added ONE spoon of chilli powder to her noodles instead of THREE then she would only need a small spoon of sugar instead of FOUR spoons to cool it back down.........and then she might even taste the ingrediants in the bowl......i get the same blank stare while she waves the spoon from pot to pot..........