Long term overstay

It cost me a lot lot more than 20,000 baht in immigration fees ,traveling costs and 90 days reporting to stay here legally,I think they should up the charge to an extra 20,000 a year on top ,sorry but it's not fair on the people who abide by the law

you right , they should pay 20 000 b a year overstay

until i move to thailand in june 2014 until now i pay 15 000B of visa , extension , border run

not fair really

• Like 2

I was not taken to any room. They dealt with the matter at their desk and while clearly and justifiably they were not happy they were completely professional and indeed nicer than I had anticipated or in fact deserved. He should dress properly and be polite and accept that he is totally in the wrong and apologise and so long as he does not have any other criminal matter against him then after he pays the fine he will be allowed to go on his way and free to return. It seems that the overstay rules are in front of the PM so he is correct to leaI woulve asap before they might get implemented. Leaving for me was not the problem and took approx 30 mins to deal with but coming back I was held and questioned for longer as was seeking a visa exempt entry thus the benefit of securing a tourist visa beforehand. By the way despite my extremely long overstay it did not prevent me from obtaining tourist visas and entering back into Thailand numerous times sibce then. Indeed last time I had another 1 day overstay and the only comment aside from being asked to pay the 500 Baht was he said that he saw that I had a very long previous overstay. By surrendering and dealing with it immigration seems to view the matter as fully settled - at least for the time being!

I would also advise him to get a tourist visa, with the caveat that a visa does not guarantee entry, that is a decision that is ultimately down to the immigration officer at the point of arrival.

• Like 1

I hope the offender is blacklisted, no excuse at all for it

i hope too; why people can stay 9 year and welcome back

Don't judge without knowing the circumstances, there are genuine reasons believe it or not why people find themselves in this situation. Hes doing the right thing now.

9 years overstay...'there are genuine reasons'......cheesy.gif ...one wonders why the latest tough immingration rules....

• Like 1

Thailand cares less about overstay than other expats, the 'new rules' about blacklisting still didn't get approved.

They care about money, and have set it up so there's almost no way for us to be a net drain on the system while we're here.

A 20k fine after 40 days is quite a decent money earner for them, equivalent to 3.3 years of 60 day tourist visas. Yet just low enough to keep people coming back and spending more money.

• Like 2

I have to agree with you. I live here by the rules and so should others.

And the rules as they are applied mean that you can overstay, present yourself at the airport and then pay a fine.

That may change, but they are the rules at the moment.

• Like 1

As you know when leaving they will check the passport, visa and stamps. Change is "he" will be questioned when leaving. and have to pay the overstay fine and in this case probably unwanted for several years.

I am sure about this because this happened to me when at the check of leaving the country the officer did oversee one page and taught I was overstaying. this was 2 weeks ago.

the overseeing happens in my case due to the way the stamps are spread one to several pages in the passport and you have to go back and forward to add up the dates.

all turned out to be in order and the Immigration Office made a note in my passport that I can show next time to the Officer so they not miss the stamps and visa's and prevent problems.

I have to agree with you. I live here by the rules and so should others.

but "the rules" are that if you go to the airport with a ticket out of Thailand and 20,000 baht you can leave, albiet with a naughty stamp, and come back without too much problem

I am curious about the mindset of people who overstay for years. Is it because once a person has overstayed for 40 days, the fine will be the same no matter what? I can imagine there could be some panic if fines change, or other penalties are introduced.

I wonder if all the posters stating he should be blacklisted etc would be brave enough to say it to the guys face?

Probably not ........

That's the only thing I can think about just now what is wrong with Thaivisa.

That is the very few, as in any forum, keyboard warriors, or as I call them keyboard cowards.

They are the type of people who, if you managed to locate them and approach them, they

would get on their knees and beg you not to hit them. You know who you are.

I'd suggest you should be careful what you wish for. You could equally well be confronting a 120 kg bodybuilder on steroids.

If you are going to measure the validity of an opinion by whether a "keyboard warrior" is willing to back it up in person, we may as well go back to living in caves.

• Like 1

As you know when leaving they will check the passport, visa and stamps. Change is "he" will be questioned when leaving. and have to pay the overstay fine and in this case probably unwanted for several years.

I am sure about this because this happened to me when at the check of leaving the country the officer did oversee one page and taught I was overstaying. this was 2 weeks ago.

the overseeing happens in my case due to the way the stamps are spread one to several pages in the passport and you have to go back and forward to add up the dates.

all turned out to be in order and the Immigration Office made a note in my passport that I can show next time to the Officer so they not miss the stamps and visa's and prevent problems.

forget to mention,

when you 'turn in yourselfs' to the immigration office before departure that you overstay is a better solution then they 'find out' at the check of the passport that you overstay.

'

I cleared an 11 year overstay and paid at the airport. Probably he will be grilled a bit on exiting but so long as has the 20k and ticket out he should not be blacklisted, He should go early to allow sufficient time to deal with the matter. If he is on a new passport it will be important to have the passport that he entered upon with the TM6 (arrival) card as this will make it easier for the immigration officers to locate him on their system. I was able to re-enter 4 days later visa exempt but was taken aside and questioned very intently for a long period by the senior i/o on duty and on reflection it would be advisable, as suggested above, that your friend obtains a visa before trying to reenter. Singapore I think is not the best place to get a tourist visa he might find it better flying to Laos and obtaining the visa there and then perhaps reentering via Nong Khai.

After 9 years of over stay, I doubt he has the TM6 Arrival card. Thai immigration will not let him in, even if he has a visa and even if the Blacklist Law

has not been passed by the Government. I agree it is better for him to go to Laos. AND STAY THERE !

It is these types of people which make problems for people who try to do it the right way in Thailand.

Bark- your comment that immigration will not let him in is factually incorrect. They may or may not however in my case even after an 11 year overstay I was re-admitted 4 days later visa exempt albeit following an interview. In addition when i exited the issue of the rules on overstay were thought to have been implemented as at the end of july 2014 there were reports that people were being marked "persona non gratia". That was not ultimately the case as those rules were not and have not to date been implemented. There is nothing to stop him from being re-admitted so long as the immigration officer is satisfied. The guy will be under no doubt sufficient stress as he prepares to go in without wholly inaccurate comments on immigration's likely reaction. As I have said while they were distinctly nonplussed they dealt with my overstay professionally and politely and on my return having spoken to the senior i/o on duty I was duly re-admitted and so there is no reason at the current time why this person will not also be re-admitted. I too am a UK passport holder. The overstay stamp was immediately noticeable as I exited on a new passport and therefore it was marked on the only used page of the passport. Therefore there was no questione that it may have been simply missed by the consulates who subsequently granted me a visa let alone to the various immigration officers who have re-admitted me on numerous occasions since August 2014. He is right to be dealing with it and the sense of relief once cleared will be tremendous.So to the op I can say from personal experience that so long as he deals with this in the correct way he should not have a problem leaving or indeed returning despite all the bad wishes of some posters on here. Good luck to him and if he wants to discuss this further I am happy to do so via pm.

I will propose to the Immigration Department that they remove the 20,000 Baht maximum fine. Then the people who want to overstay for 9 years will be given a bill for 1,642,500 Baht (500 x 365 x 9), or 9 years in jail. Up to the overstayer...

• Like 2