Long term overstay

simply cannot understand or believe anyone who states ......."there can be reasons for an overstay ".......... NOT for a 9yr overstay there isnt.

If your personal circumstances change then you have a responsibility to do whatever is necessary to legitimise your status.

I bet those who believe a 9 yr overstay in Thailand is OK ------wouldnt have the same thoughts about " foreigners" in their home country who overstayed for that long.

Can ANYONE .......................who thinks that a 9yr overstay is OK.................give me just one legitimate reason for such an overstay.............

cmon just one good reason for not following the rules and doing whatever may be necessary to legitimise your staus.

I wont hold my breath waiting .

Some people are just plain lazy when it comes to organizing themselves, and put in the too hard basket. I have a good mate like this, a really great guy to have around. He was 2 years over but i helped him to get organized and now he is on a retirement visa, happy as a dog with 2 tails, and no problem to anybody. thumbsup.gif

It cost me a lot lot more than 20,000 baht in immigration fees ,traveling costs and 90 days reporting to stay here legally,I think they should up the charge to an extra 20,000 a year on top ,sorry but it's not fair on the people who abide by the law

Really "sour grapes" nothing to do with you at all. I have been here 10 years now , just go about my business do the right thing and feel that it is between me and immigration, if someone else stuffs up with their visa i don't give a rats ass. How can it not be fair to me. coffee1.gif

It can only be unfair on people like yourself who stay within the laws of immigration when by the laws are changed due to abuse of the system,in turn possibly affecting you financially and or by way of extra inconvenience of your personal time and effort.

Let's be honest irrespective of the circumstances of overstayers it does no favours to those who continue to play by the rules,that much is obvious.

The draconian rules already in place for genuine people with families and wives or partners is under threat by persistent abusers of the visa and immigration laws,that much is evident with the recent changes being implemented to border hops and double,triple entry tourist visas.

The continued number of expats overstaying visas,lack of medical insurance and in some extreme cases lack of funds whatsoever is of no means a help to others irrespective if you care not a toss about it.

The underlying fact is that issues such as this genuine or not in the long term will affect those who stay here legally and as is often the case the majority are screwed over by the minority.

• Like 1

"No acceptable excuse" - by what measure? Legally the Thai authorities have not found overstay that egregious except for that already provided for in terms of the law. While many seem to wish ill will on some, maybe they might be advised to reflect on not so much Hemingway but rather Donne - bells do toll.

To this day I remain extremely grateful for the sound advice of Ubonjoe.- Thank you yet again should you read this.

I too am eternally grateful to Ubonjoe for his advice. Thanks Joe. wai.gif

simply cannot understand or believe anyone who states ......."there can be reasons for an overstay ".......... NOT for a 9yr overstay there isnt.

If your personal circumstances change then you have a responsibility to do whatever is necessary to legitimise your status.

I bet those who believe a 9 yr overstay in Thailand is OK ------wouldnt have the same thoughts about " foreigners" in their home country who overstayed for that long.

Can ANYONE .......................who thinks that a 9yr overstay is OK.................give me just one legitimate reason for such an overstay.............

cmon just one good reason for not following the rules and doing whatever may be necessary to legitimise your staus.

I wont hold my breath waiting .

Some people are just plain lazy when it comes to organizing themselves, and put in the too hard basket. I have a good mate like this, a really great guy to have around. He was 2 years over but i helped him to get organized and now he is on a retirement visa, happy as a dog with 2 tails, and no problem to anybody. thumbsup.gif

Are you sure that your "mate" will organise and do his 90 day reports and will he remember that his extension of stay needs renewing every year ?

The draconian rules already in place for genuine people with families and wives or partners is under threat by persistent abusers of the visa and immigration laws,that much is evident with the recent changes being implemented to border hops and double,triple entry tourist visas.

The continued number of expats overstaying visas,lack of medical insurance and in some extreme cases lack of funds whatsoever is of no means a help to others irrespective if you care not a toss about it.

The underlying fact is that issues such as this genuine or not in the long term will affect those who stay here legally and as is often the case the majority are screwed over by the minority.

Has more to do with a draconian, far right government than the 0.01% of expats overstaying. Just my opinion.

It cost me a lot lot more than 20,000 baht in immigration fees ,traveling costs and 90 days reporting to stay here legally,I think they should up the charge to an extra 20,000 a year on top ,sorry but it's not fair on the people who abide by the law

Really "sour grapes" nothing to do with you at all. I have been here 10 years now , just go about my business do the right thing and feel that it is between me and immigration, if someone else stuffs up with their visa i don't give a rats ass. How can it not be fair to me. coffee1.gif

It can only be unfair on people like yourself who stay within the laws of immigration when by the laws are changed due to abuse of the system,in turn possibly affecting you financially and or by way of extra inconvenience of your personal time and effort.

Let's be honest irrespective of the circumstances of overstayers it does no favours to those who continue to play by the rules,that much is obvious.

Sorry, but i don't see it that way. When they change visa rules, its all about getting more money, not about overstay punishment.

• Like 1

Has more to do with a draconian, far right government than the 0.01% of expats overstaying. Just my opinion.

Where does that 0.01% figure come from ?

Please provide a link to an authoritative source.

Thanks

Sorry, but i don't see it that way. When they change visa rules, its all about getting more money, not about overstay punishment.

So if that's the case why isn't overstay charged at say 1000 baht per day,or do you see it the opposite way round that they are on a good thing with those who abide by the rules and overstayers are just a sort of 20000 baht cash bonus every time one happens to pop up. Edited by stoneyboy

Does anyone know, what grief are they ngoing to give him as he exits Thailand ? The maximum fine is 20,000 baht. Now, is it a simple case of paying the 20,000 baht fine, the official signs or stamps whatever paper, and that's it, he can leave.

OR, are they going to start shouting at him in a room where nobody can see, give him a lecture on how bad he has been, and then give him the 20,000 baht fine ?

He will be treated very frienlily with polite jokes and smiles as long as he has the money for the fine,

The problem with coming back is only if the rule gets aproved regarding blacklisting before he leaves.

• Like 1

When I applied for my new UK passport it was prior to the change of dealing through Trendy. All that was required was a colour photocopy of all the pages plus completed application and fee sent directly through to the UK. I was concerned as they contacted me but it was simply due to the photographs not being the right size and requesting new ones to be sent. As others have stated there was no issue as to the overstay in issuing a new passport. One imagines that their concern was/is simply to determine whether one qualifies for the passport and not as to someone's immigration status in another jurisdiction.

"No acceptable excuse" - by what measure? Legally the Thai authorities have not found overstay that egregious except for that already provided for in terms of the law. While many seem to wish ill will on some, maybe they might be advised to reflect on not so much Hemingway but rather Donne - bells do toll.

To this day I remain extremely grateful for the sound advice of Ubonjoe.- Thank you yet again should you read this.

By a measure of say...

...8 years and 365 days. post-4641-1156693976.gif

I hope the offender is blacklisted, no excuse at all for it

We may have similar names but I feel differently. He may have dependants.

Since when and in what universe does having dependents give the green light to break the law? Hell, if anything...I would think that having a wife and/or children would give them all the more reason to abide by the host country's laws.

• Like 1

We may have similar names but I feel differently. He may have dependants.

Since when and in what universe does having dependents give the green light to break the law? Hell, if anything...I would think that having a wife and/or children would give them all the more reason to abide by the host country's laws.

Because his dependants would suffer hardship, let him be punished according to the law, which currently does not include deportation and blacklist. You appear to want punishment above and beyond the current ones, and I was concerned he may have a wife and children.

• Like 1

i hope too; why people can stay 9 year and welcome back

You >deleted< holier than thou *deleted*

I do not understand this whole yelling about blacklisting this or any other guy..

Yes, he broke a Thai law and he will be "punished" according to the current Thai law - which is 20'000 fine and nothing else, if he makes ist to the airport. Different matter if he would be caught out on the street, so the guys who overstay clearly take their risk.

If the new law comes into effect, then that is it - banned from re-entry etc... So those who will continue with overstaying / not reporting, will take those additional risks on them and therefore, clearing an overstay under the current laws is clearly advisable.

Did the overstayer do anything wrong other than reporting? We all do not know. Does overstay endanger anybodies life? I don't think so.

Even when you argue that "it is because of overstayers that Thai immigration gets tougher", I would not concur with that. Nobody is going to have a more difficult time at immigration who has their documents in order.

• Like 2

Slightly off topic .....but this reminds me of the case in Australia not long ago -----where an Englishman who had "lived" in Australia for ( what was it ) about 32yrs left the country to travel to Thailand.

When he returned to OZ ...he was refused entry as he was/ had been a "sergeant at arms" of the Bandidio bikie club ---which has been designated as an outlaw ( and hence illegal) group in Australia.

Because he had been too lazy to obtain Australian citizenship( after living in the country for 32yrs or so)...............................he was refused re-entry as an " undesirable alien".

All because he was too lazy to comply with the host country's laws.

So who can he blame but himself.

AS to the OP ---------------------------I asked many posts ago for just 1 valid reason to justify a 9yr overstay.

The ONLY response so far from anyone is --------------------------------------------- laziness which is not a valid reason to me. I mean it is not as thou it is actually that hard to jump thu the hoops the Thai's set up for us...................its just time consuming, But I thought that the one thing we all had plenty of was ------time.

AS to those asking about his passport ---------------well maybe that is one of the reasons that he is NOW seeking to correct his situation, maybe he needs a new passport...........but as stated by many , overstay is NOT an issue that the UK passport( or for that matter any other country's passport issuing authority ) is concerned with,

• Like 1

Slightly off topic .....but this reminds me of the case in Australia not long ago -----where an Englishman who had "lived" in Australia for ( what was it ) about 32yrs left the country to travel to Thailand.

When he returned to OZ ...he was refused entry as he was/ had been a "sergeant at arms" of the Bandidio bikie club ---which has been designated as an outlaw ( and hence illegal) group in Australia.

Because he had been too lazy to obtain Australian citizenship( after living in the country for 32yrs or so)...............................he was refused re-entry as an " undesirable alien".

All because he was too lazy to comply with the host country's laws.

So who can he blame but himself.

AS to the OP ---------------------------I asked many posts ago for just 1 valid reason to justify a 9yr overstay.

The ONLY response so far from anyone is --------------------------------------------- laziness which is not a valid reason to me. I mean it is not as thou it is actually that hard to jump thu the hoops the Thai's set up for us...................its just time consuming, But I thought that the one thing we all had plenty of was ------time.

AS to those asking about his passport ---------------well maybe that is one of the reasons that he is NOW seeking to correct his situation, maybe he needs a new passport...........but as stated by many , overstay is NOT an issue that the UK passport( or for that matter any other country's passport issuing authority ) is concerned with,

You haven't received a valid answer from anyone because there isn't any justifiable reason. A lot of defensive rationalizing and guesses in support of the egregious abuse...but nothing that addresses your query, nor justifies such behavior.

I asked many posts ago for just 1 valid reason to justify a 9yr overstay.

You haven't received a valid answer from anyone because there isn't any justifiable reason. A lot of defensive rationalizing and guesses in support of the egregious abuse...but nothing that addresses your query, nor justifies such behavior.

Actually because any answer would be removed as per forum rules about openly promoting anything contrary to visa laws whistling.gif

Edited by jspill

I think they should just charger 500 a day with no limit. Obviously some over stayers will not be able to afford it so they should give a one year maximum in jail in those cases. To the poster saying to not be judgmental as we don't know the circumstances... 9 years is a long time. Whatever the case is if the guy didn't have money to get a visa or figure something out you can only assume he was working illegally. How do you support yourself for 9 years otherwise?

I am not part of the moral brigade when it comes to this sort of thing normally but this guy should be made an example of. His overstay is a mockery of the system and to let him get away for less money than people that stay legitimately is wrong. People how over stay a few months and pay the 20,000 I think are fine they are paying proportionately higher fees to do so.

I think they should just charger 500 a day with no limit. Obviously some over stayers will not be able to afford it so they should give a one year maximum in jail in those cases. To the poster saying to not be judgmental as we don't know the circumstances... 9 years is a long time. Whatever the case is if the guy didn't have money to get a visa or figure something out you can only assume he was working illegally. How do you support yourself for 9 years otherwise?

I am not part of the moral brigade when it comes to this sort of thing normally but this guy should be made an example of. His overstay is a mockery of the system and to let him get away for less money than people that stay legitimately is wrong. People how over stay a few months and pay the 20,000 I think are fine they are paying proportionately higher fees to do so.

What happens though when the jail conditions are morally wrong. Inhumane conditions and deaths in immigration jail are well documented.

Also you'd be recommending one year in jail in a country where hit and run killers get off free if they have enough money.
It's hard to make a mockery of that system.

Funny the amount of guys here that have so much money, but they are done with Thailand, wouldnt lower themselves to the level of forking out for the elite visa etc.

One guy even says he could afford 20 EVs.

What puzzles me is if you have all that money why not just do what it takes and travel home once every 9 months?

I am not rich, but i can at least afford to go home every 9 months and not cry in my beer over it.

• Like 1

Every opinion (including this one) should be deleted. Post facts, not your moral stance on the law of a country that you don't even belong to.

Good point Lust. So to summarise the facts from my personal experience and correct as at this date. (1) No matter how long the overstay so long as one "surrenders" and pays the fine at an airport the maximum penalty is up to 20k fine. (2) The immigration officials handling such lengthy overstays were completely professional and polite in handling the matter. No being shouted at in any back rooms. No demands for under the table money. (3) There is currently no bar to re-enter and although I did it 4 days later via visa exempt it would perhaps be advisable to obtain a tourist visa prior to seeking re-entry. (4) Such overstay again at the present time does not prevent securing other visas, visa exempt entries or extensions - the only mention of my extremely long overstay was when I had to pay a one day overstay and it was simply remarked that he noticed that I had a long previous overstay. It had no consequence in how I was treated. Basically, immigration are a lot more tolerant of overstay at this current time than many posters on this site but this could change and therefore anyone on an overstay would be best advised to legalise their status as soon as they practically can. These seem to be the pertinent facts without any moral reflections.For anyone reading this who is on overstay I can say again from personal experience that it can be dealt with and the relief that will come afterwards is tremendous.

• Like 1

Every opinion (including this one) should be deleted. Post facts, not your moral stance on the law of a country that you don't even belong to.

Good point Lust. So to summarise the facts from my personal experience and correct as at this date. (1) No matter how long the overstay so long as one "surrenders" and pays the fine at an airport the maximum penalty is up to 20k fine. (2) The immigration officials handling such lengthy overstays were completely professional and polite in handling the matter. No being shouted at in any back rooms. No demands for under the table money. (3) There is currently no bar to re-enter and although I did it 4 days later via visa exempt it would perhaps be advisable to obtain a tourist visa prior to seeking re-entry. (4) Such overstay again at the present time does not prevent securing other visas, visa exempt entries or extensions - the only mention of my extremely long overstay was when I had to pay a one day overstay and it was simply remarked that he noticed that I had a long previous overstay. It had no consequence in how I was treated. Basically, immigration are a lot more tolerant of overstay at this current time than many posters on this site but this could change and therefore anyone on an overstay would be best advised to legalise their status as soon as they practically can. These seem to be the pertinent facts without any moral reflections.For anyone reading this who is on overstay I can say again from personal experience that it can be dealt with and the relief that will come afterwards is tremendous.

nice summery of the facts, however the question is will they still be the facts after the 13th or will the rules be changed

"Basically, immigration are a lot more tolerant of overstay at this current time than many posters on this site"

Immigration aren't tolerant at all. If you're caught on overstay you get arrested and deported!

The fact that you are treated politely when surrendering at the border just shows professionalism. Immigration let people exit at borders because there is little point arresting them sending them to court, and going through the deportation process.

• Like 1

"Basically, immigration are a lot more tolerant of overstay at this current time than many posters on this site"

Immigration aren't tolerant at all. If you're caught on overstay you get arrested and deported!

The fact that you are treated politely when surrendering at the border just shows professionalism. Immigration let people exit at borders because there is little point arresting them sending them to court, and going through the deportation process.

I know of several cases where the police were paid off and the overstayers are still here, although Im not sure if you would call that tolerance or not

• Like 1

I would agree with you if it was limited to exiting the country however I think that it is reasonable to say that at the current time the rules and the officials that implement them can be seen as tolerant as it is possible to re-enter reasonably easily after an overstay. Of course this may all become moot if the rules on bans does become active. But right now I will stick by my view that the immigration rules and procedures have been tolerant for over-stayers.

• Like 1

I would agree with you if it was limited to exiting the country however I think that it is reasonable to say that at the current time the rules and the officials that implement them can be seen as tolerant as it is possible to re-enter reasonably easily after an overstay. Of course this may all become moot if the rules on bans does become active. But right now I will stick by my view that the immigration rules and procedures have been tolerant for over-stayers.

They could have been far more strict with existing law and could have arrested even those surrendering at the border and sent everyone for deportation, but they have been fair and reasonable, which has possibly added to the appearance of tolerance. Or maybe the sheer numbers make it impossible to enforce.

Only those overstayers that are deported can be automatically excluded from re-entry and the lack of enforcing this law has also added to the attitude that overstay is tolerated. But I think it's a mistake to assume that the TIB's management is an indication of a willingness to tolerate overstaying.