Long term overstay

Usual knee jerk reaction, lets look at the "what" and not care for one minute as to the "why" !

None of you know the circumstances involved and yet are mostly screaming to "hang em high"

Dont be so quick to judge, until you know the facts, and besides, there may well be a family and dependants involved too.

One would hope that if there were a family and dependents involved then the person would have a sense of responsibility.

Overstaying by nine years brings any sense of responsibility into question.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the positive and helpful replies I will pass them on negative comments well maybe we should not judge unless we know all of the facts but thanks for taking the trouble to write a reply albeit judge mental

I agree that we should not judge but what realistic reason could there be for a 9 year overstay. It would be a classic I bet. The new rules are certainly bringing the illegals out of their hideaways. He's just lucky they're not been implemented yet otherwise he could expect more severe punishment. It really annoys me that people come on here crying in their soup when the drama was of their own volition.

I wonder if all the posters stating he should be blacklisted etc would be brave enough to say it to the guys face?

Probably not ........

What ghetto do you, and all who liked your statement, inhabit? Do you think you have to be brave to observe a simple fact and state it? If the overstayer attempted to bash anyone who mentioned his violation of the law, he is even more despicable and should be jailed for the attempt--he should also carefully choose with whom he takes this barbaric action; he may get a fat lip trying.

• Like 2

the 'new rules' about blacklisting still didn't get approved.

I thought the PM was considering it at the moment and may make an announcement on the 13th with the other visa changes?

and for all the wanna be fascists posting, join the volunteer police, its perfect for you and an alternative outlet for your frustrations instead of posting here

Edited by phycokiller

Tell your Friend to go and not to come back,,,He is BAD news and an other one on the list to make it harder for us who are doing the right thing. No sympathy if he is black listed rolleyes.gif

How does it make it harder for us who are doing the right thing? Or are you predicting a clamp-down from the Thai government, applied to ALL falangs? May or may not happen.

If you continue to do the right thing, increased penalties for overstay are irrelevant to you, n'est ce pas?

• Like 2

Usual knee jerk reaction, lets look at the "what" and not care for one minute as to the "why" !

None of you know the circumstances involved and yet are mostly screaming to "hang em high"

Dont be so quick to judge, until you know the facts, and besides, there may well be a family and dependants involved too.

I wasn't aware that "family and dependents" gives the green light to egregiously violate a host country's immigration laws...

Many thanks for the positive and helpful replies I will pass them on negative comments well maybe we should not judge unless we know all of the facts but thanks for taking the trouble to write a reply albeit judge mental

Explain some facts. Whomever it is broke the law. Fouls it up for the rest of us. There is rarely any excuse for braking the law, like none. That's why its called the law.

Save the pity party.

I wasn't aware that "family and dependents" gives the green light to egregiously violate a host country's immigration laws...

Actually I had an overstay due to family health issues. The I/O said, had I not packed the documents into my already checked bag, he'd have waived the fine.

So, if there are facts the OP could have made mention of them. He set himself up to be slammed and he got slammed. Not judged. There was no what or why. Just vague, if the OP was even real.

Maybe he spent loads of money here, no one knows.

He certainly hasn't harmed my life and I have no ill feelings towards him.

No hard feelings towards him, it is what was done and not done. I don't even know him to have any hard feelings. However, events such as these do make it more difficult for others. That's a more than long overstay. If the OP was real, you reach out for a lawyer or ubonjoe. Not posters on TV. So, my gut says BS.

There are valid reasons for overstays, family, medical, financial, or whatever...

All can be taken care of in a timely manner and a 20,000 Baht fine is not unreasonable.

But if it takes you nine years to get things in order and comply with the laws we are all held to...

I suspect you are just irresponsible and do not care!

In that case, I think 20,000 per year is not unreasonable...and questionable that you should be trusted with a second chance to enter.

sooo many people leave their 'respected' state and disrespect Thai rules. Rules are made by/from people like this all over the world; yet here, the higher class expats continuously mock them. Thanks for your 'friends' troubles while I try my best to follow the rules. Good luck with your 'friend's' next 'oops'. A tiny bit of research helps tremendously. I would have thought NINE years would have provided a bit of insight to the superior farang.

I hope the offender is blacklisted, no excuse at all for it

i hope too; why people can stay 9 year and welcome back

While I agree that 9 years is excessive, what is all the big fuss about.

The people that do overstay excessively , for what ever reasons, should not be criminalized...while the percentages are more than likely 0.0001 percent

Obviously the Thai authorities are not overly concerned about it and do not harshly enforce the rules for violating their immigration laws.

If they were, they would have or could have done so long ago.

As compared to other far more important laws and regulations needing to be enforced I can not think of anything of urgent importance being attached to someone who comes to a country and ends up staying 9 years without exiting.

But think what you want........meantime I am not concerned at all about people who overstay nor do I see them as criminals, per say, just because they overstayed.

And just for your information I am on a retirement visa....legally obtained......but others and how they do it does not bother me nor should it be my concern....rather it is the concern of the immigration authorities while the Thai people, at large, are not and or ever have been in an uproar about some people that come here and overstay for years before they leave...as they do not care about such minor issues.

The new order government and their zealousness to re-enforce the immigrations laws do have some Thais taking notice...but the overwhelming majority are not concerned nor do they take notice of a foreigner that has been around for say 30 years and think they should confront that person and ask that person or question that person as to the reasons for or the ability to stay here for so long and scrutinize that person and their immigration status.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy
  • Like 1

"No acceptable excuse" - by what measure? Legally the Thai authorities have not found overstay that egregious except for that already provided for in terms of the law. While many seem to wish ill will on some, maybe they might be advised to reflect on not so much Hemingway but rather Donne - bells do toll.

To this day I remain extremely grateful for the sound advice of Ubonjoe.- Thank you yet again should you read this.

Edited by gilo

"No acceptable excuse" - by what measure? Legally the Thai authorities have not found overstay that egregious except for that already provided already for in terms of the law. While many seem to wish ill will on some maybe they might want to reflect on not so much Hemingway but rather Donne - bells do toll.

To this day I am extremely grateful for the truly sound advice of Ubonjoe.- Thank you yet again should you read this.

Many here will have no clue so here is Donne !

"No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee."
Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 2

Gemguy...(reply tab is not working)

It is noble that you are not judgemental about what others do, but you must agree, the guy has broken the law in a pretty grand way??

Fair enough Thais dont question these things but think about the way your own countrymen view Asians staying in your country.

Maybe not you, but zenophobes back home often lament aliens working cheap, taking jobs, getting welfare handouts, public housing and benefits ect..

In many cases if they thought Asians were illegally staying in their country they would be irate.

Although we do not get the above benefits while we stay here it is no excuse to flaunt the laws.

Why should i have to pay 20k in legit visas fees to stay a year or so, when another can casually pay 20k fine at the backdoor after having abused the system for 9 free years?

As i say, your noble for not being judgemental, but if your reasoning was widespread, general law and order would soon be replaced with anarchy and chaos.

Just imagine if everyone was to think "I doesnt worry me that Bob murdered Bill, as i didnt know Bill"

Or "im not worried that Jack drives home plastered every night as hes never hit me or anyone i know"

Yes, maybe extreme examples, but why should this guy get an easy ride when everyone else has to pay, in both money and time jumping through all the hoops.

I often feel i would like to be this arrogant and contemptful, but as is my luck, everytime i even look like breaking a law, be it mistake or ignorance the law is always on my ar$e first thing.

Gemguy...(reply tab is not working)

It is noble that you are not judgemental about what others do, but you must agree, the guy has broken the law in a pretty grand way??

Fair enough Thais dont question these things but think about the way your own countrymen view Asians staying in your country.

Maybe not you, but zenophobes back home often lament aliens working cheap, taking jobs, getting welfare handouts, public housing and benefits ect..

In many cases if they thought Asians were illegally staying in their country they would be irate.

Although we do not get the above benefits while we stay here it is no excuse to flaunt the laws.

Why should i have to pay 20k in legit visas fees to stay a year or so, when another can casually pay 20k fine at the backdoor after having abused the system for 9 free years?

As i say, your noble for not being judgemental, but if your reasoning was widespread, general law and order would soon be replaced with anarchy and chaos.

Just imagine if everyone was to think "I doesnt worry me that Bob murdered Bill, as i didnt know Bill"

Or "im not worried that Jack drives home plastered every night as hes never hit me or anyone i know"

Yes, maybe extreme examples, but why should this guy get an easy ride when everyone else has to pay, in both money and time jumping through all the hoops.

I often feel i would like to be this arrogant and contemptful, but as is my luck, everytime i even look like breaking a law, be it mistake or ignorance the law is always on my ar$e first thing.

I do not condone breaking the laws.

I am just pointing out the authorities have always been lax on the immigration laws while it is their concern...not yours.....at least not legally yours...and good thing they are as it makes it all the easier to make a life here in Thailand.

I for one do not want to see the relevant authorities making it all the more difficult than it is now for people who want to stay here long term.

Or we can go your implied route and we will gradually see the evolution of a true dictatorship here in Thailand where over zealous government officials and their minions are rewarded for tracking down and persecuting over stayers while the public at large is encouraged to expose any wrong doings committed by others and handsomely rewarded for doing so.

Cheers

Agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It amazes me how many people still brag about overstaying so many months or years. The usual reply "well, you don't know their circumstances" just doesn't cut it with me. They should be banned. I hope that the PM implements the proposals soon.

How do people renew their passport when on overstay?

What do you imagine would prevent the renewal of of a passport ?

An "overstay" situation would not prevent a new passport being issued.

(I'll reply like a normal person.)

They don't check your entry stamp dates or anything. You deal with e.g. the UK visa application centre at Trendy building on Sukhumvit 13, for UK passport renewals. They are't on the lookout for overstayers or anything, they're not working for immigration.

• Like 1

It cost me a lot lot more than 20,000 baht in immigration fees ,traveling costs and 90 days reporting to stay here legally,I think they should up the charge to an extra 20,000 a year on top ,sorry but it's not fair on the people who abide by the law

Really "sour grapes" nothing to do with you at all. I have been here 10 years now , just go about my business do the right thing and feel that it is between me and immigration, if someone else stuffs up with their visa i don't give a rats ass. How can it not be fair to me. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I hope the offender is blacklisted, no excuse at all for it

i hope too; why people can stay 9 year and welcome back

Don't judge without knowing the circumstances, there are genuine reasons believe it or not why people find themselves in this situation. Hes doing the right thing now.

9 years overstay...'there are genuine reasons'......cheesy.gif ...one wonders why the latest tough immingration rules....

One word "Money" apart from that they really could'nt care less. whistling.gif