What is wrong with AIS and their service?

lostinisaan

Hello experts and expats,

I fully regret that I bought a new "intelligent phone" an android from Samsung, when my older Samsung stopped working. Until then I only used my phone for calls, texts and sometimes for some shitty photos. Right before I paid for the new phone, my old Tirac started working again.

When I phoned my relatives back home in Germoney, I only used 008 before the number I've dialed and could make a chea call when needed.

Now I've tried it and the service isn't avaiable on this phone? Okay some Googling showed that I need to register using the 00500 digits and it would work.

But hell no, it didn't. Then a visit at a small Telewiz ( Witz in German is a joke) and I told them in their own language what the problem was.

One wanted to sell me a promotion that just came in. Hell no, I did that once having the phone already for 10 years ( 5 years ago) and all in a sudden my card was only good for three months, instead of 18 months before.

Okay, being calm as I am, I told them to off and all I want is to have access to the on websites promoted possibility to call overseas for 3 baht/minute.

The boy went to a very busy woman who updated her farcebook page, no way to ask her a question, she was just shaking her head.

How can I make it happen to use this damn 00500 number, or is there another maybe better number to use for AIS GSM?

I feel totally raped being a customer since 15 years and can't get anymore bs from people who know nothing.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated. I've tried the phone thingy already with the star 1XX" then calling, but no way. It just doesn't work.

Calling AIS, you can listen to a long speech, they talk about plenty of countries, to press a button, but not even one European one.

I apologize if this topic has been discussed already a thousand times.

I'm very close to give that thing to my son and use my old Samsung that always worked until the day ot played dead, but wasn't.

I really love to use a phone for what it is. To make phone calls.

There's just too much technique, too many weird applications and when I look at my wife, she doesn't even know how to change the language at her new Samsung.

Thanks a lot in advance for any useful input. It's a Samsung J 1, not too old. wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

AIS 12call, using 003 prefix, 3 baht/min to Australia, 6 baht/min to South Africa. AA

This is not working on an Android phone. The phone doesn't support such calls and other nonsense.

I'll have to go to the main Telewiz dealer in town tomorrow to get this sorted out

I'm using Skype until this is solved. Thanks for the answer. wai2.gif

AIS 3G

009 works fine.

008 not work.

007 not work.

009 is all I need (seldom enough).

Sidenote:

Fixed lines (in Germany) have become a thing of the past.

The number of my father who died in 2009 has not been reassigned.

Both 007 and 008 are ToT operated.

ToT owns the transmitting equipment (towers etc.) that AIS uses.

The lease has expired and they are currently in a hefty legal dispute.

Maybe related?

Can some member with DTAC or True try to use 007 or 008?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Rates to Germany:

001 20 Baht
005 22 (!) Baht
00500 5 to 7 Baht (time dependent)
009 fixed 5 mobile 7 Baht

So be aware of this nice trick and DON'T leave away the "00" as you would normally do.

00500 49 -> 5 to 7 Baht

005 49 -> 22 Baht

Edited by KhunBENQ

Two things I would do.

(1) Go to a Samsung store in one of the malls to check out there is no problem with the phone. They might even be able to turn off some possible restriction.

(2) Rather than go to aTelewiz shop, call AIS Call Centre on 1175, and follow the options through to an English speaker, and explain your problem to them. I have always found them very helpful.

I don't know if it would make any difference, but you might get better help in a proper AIS outlet in one of the big malls rather than Telewiz. I know they are something to do with AIS, but you might have more luck with AIS proper. Just an idea.

AIS: 003 3THB/min, 00500 5THB/min + VAT

001, 009 via CAT

007, 008 via TOT

Edited by phetphet

Just a thought, some phones interpret the first zero dialed as a plus (+) sign. Is it possible that is happening to you?

P.S. I always wondered what companies used what prefixes for long distance calls. For last 12 years I have used AIS and only used 009 to call USA. So I understand now that is CAT. They seem to be reasonable but I have not tried other prefix codes either. So thanks to the guys that listed the various companies and codes.

Two things I would do.

(1) Go to a Samsung store in one of the malls to check out there is no problem with the phone. They might even be able to turn off some possible restriction.

(2) Rather than go to aTelewiz shop, call AIS Call Centre on 1175, and follow the options through to an English speaker, and explain your problem to them. I have always found them very helpful.

There is NO problem with the phone!

Why did I write that 007 and 008 did not work with MY phone/AIS SIM?

Independent from that, there is no rational explanation what the phone's problem would be.

Can not dial 008????

Why not let wife/family listen to the Thai language announcement when trying 008?

It is quite lenghty and probably contains a "can not ...".

When I try 006 (True) from AIS I get a clear English "unknown prefix" message.

Asking via 1175 is worth a try, especially for the question why 00500 does not work.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Nothing wrong with AIS 1-2-Call service in my experience. I have used many dumb phones and a couple of smart phones (Samsung) and the 00500 prefix for years to call the USA, Europe and Japan with 100% success and low cost. No problems with SMS either. AIS Customer Service has always provided excellent and prompt help when needed. No problems with out of country calling and no other issues that weren't resolved with a simple call to Customer Care.

Just troubleshooting here, but is the SIM registered and has it been upgraded at an AIS shop? When I cut my old SIM down to smaller size and inserted it in my Samsung Smartphone, not everything worked. I had to take it to an AIS Shop for an upgraded 3G SIM.

Edited by Skeptic7

Two things I would do.

There is NO problem with the phone!

Why did I write that 007 and 008 did not work with MY phone/AIS SIM?

Independent from that, there is no rational explanation what the phone's problem would be.

Can not dial 008????

Why not let wife/family listen to the Thai language announcement when trying 008?

It is quite lenghty and probably contains a "can not ...".

When I try 006 (True) from AIS I get a clear English "unknown prefix" message.

Asking via 1175 is worth a try, especially for the question why 00500 does not work.

I have to apologize for not getting back earlier, as my "new second hand and modified" PC took ALL my time and energy to upgrade it to Windows 10.

Started the process at school yesterday at 3.45 pm at school, then stayed at school until 8 m, trying to get "it done." Nope, said the machine.

Finally I had to take it home and sat there all night and went to bed at 8 am this morning. Too many problems occurred that I had to ask a baymonk to help me out.

( Baymonks are those who wear the lighter orange robes)

The key seemed to work, but then it didn't, my MS office "013 created a big headache that had to be cured by a lot of Paracetamol. Six of my former programs didn't work.

Sorry, for the ToT( totally off topic)/ I still can't use any of these suggested numbers and even a registration using the phone and a particular number, wasn't successful.

Now it's not my first priority and I've used my Skype to do the important call, I had to do. Our son needs a phone and I might give him my Samsung J 1 and use my 'oldie" a Samsung SGH E 590 again.

It's a nice and very small reliable phone and does what I want from a hone. To make phone calls and some texts, perhaps.

I'm not a sitting there all the time and constantly "update my farcebook profile" Therefore,I prefer to use a PC, or notebook, don't wanna go down that path to start looking at my phone, instead of talking to my wife when we eat out.

I'm quite happy that I grew up at a time where there were no cellphones. And I don't want to miss them. I really feel sorry for those who might think that's it. Technology should be used, but too many people get used by it and they don't even know it. Better to be addicted to love !!

Thanks a lot to all who've given their knowledge and time to answer my question. Regarding asking my wife to do such tasks isn't that easy, she isn't a telephone/ technique freak either.

I've experienced that most employees of a little Telexwiz at Big C do not know much about certain, usually very easy settings and changes.

Now I'm talking about speaking in their own language with them.

But I'm already used to it, no matter if it's about my phone, computer, car, or motorbike. It is as it is and that's okay.

Too may people are missing out the beauty of nature.

I couldn't look at my phone, or I might just pretend to do so when seeing the natural beauty of life.

Enjoy your Sunday, could be shorter than expected. Cheers- wai2.gif

post-158336-0-16406700-1446922892_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

AIS 12call, using 003 prefix, 3 baht/min to Australia, 6 baht/min to South Africa. AA

This is not working on an Android phone. The phone doesn't support such calls and other nonsense.

I'll have to go to the main Telewiz dealer in town tomorrow to get this sorted out

I'm using Skype until this is solved. Thanks for the answer. wai2.gif

Change carrier if unhappy, you could swap to True and keep your old number.

I have AIS for my regular number but retain a True line used only for international calls to UK landlines at 3 baht/min on 006 .

My AIS package includes data and calls but leaves out text messages, which are over-used here (people avoiding talking). I can make a free 1 minute call (free insofar as it is in my included minutes) or pay for a text. International texts are a rip-off, aimed at foreign customers, so I use my data allocation on Skype for those.

This 3G stuff is not designed to make it cheap for you, but more profitable for them, you have to play the game and start using Line, Skype and other cheaper options.... providing your data plan allows it.

I'm with you buddy on "Phones are for phoning" and I am from Isaan (but not lost!!!!!!) YET Anyway I too have new Samsung and I am with DTAC------- easy to top up in Big 'C' when shopping-------- and I use 004 to NZ and never had any problems

Just wondering what you guys do when you want to add the prefix;

I store all my contacts as country code plus number, i.e. +66 88 888 8888, +1 666 666 6666, etc.

Do you add the prefix in the contact on your phone, or edit it when you want to dial the number?

I store all my contacts as country code plus number, i.e. +66 88 888 8888, +1 666 666 6666, etc.

Do you add the prefix in the contact on your phone, or edit it when you want to dial the number?

Yes so do I ,but thats not the problem.The O P states that his phone will not accept it. So really if it is stored or not ITS NO GOOD.If I have a new No and am uncertain ,I usually dial it the first time and if OK then store

All international contacts are in the phone book twice, with +1 666 666 6666 and 009 1 666 666 6666.

Thai numbers are all with +66 88 888 8888; within Thailand it doesn't matter and overseas, only + will work anyway.

Using AIS post-paid with an Android 4.2 phone and have no problem with 009.

Calling to the USA...this is exactly how the number is stored and dialed in my Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 contact list, using AIS high quality discount prefix 00500

005001xxxxxxxxxx

"1" being US country code - xxx being 3 digit area code - xxxxxxx being the 7 digit phone number

go here to see the 00500 rates: http://www.ais.co.th/00500/en/service-rate.aspx