New Mazda CX-3

IMHO

Some details now coming through for the Thai spec models.

Prices:

2.0E: 835K

2.0C: 910K

2.0S: 975K

2.0SP: 1.045M

1.5XDL: 1.155M

All versions are 6 speed automatic.

Engines:

2.0L Skyactiv-G makes 156HP / 203Nm, with a claimed FE of 16.4 KM/L

1.5L Skyactiv-D makes 105HP / 270Nm, with a claimed FE of 23.3 KM/L

Autsch....1.155M for the 1.5 Diesel....that is a whopping 400,000 Baht over the Mazda 2 with the same engine and still not 4WD!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prices:

Engines:

Autsch....1.155M for the 1.5 Diesel....that is a whopping 400,000 Baht over the Mazda 2 with the same engine and still not 4WD!

Yeah, it's pretty clear the pricing has been drawn up to go head to head with the HR-V - undercutting it in the lower end and matching it higher up - rather than reflecting it's actual Mazda2 roots.

Anyways, it looks like I was wrong, and the HR-V is no longer positioned all by itself wink.png

I really was anticipating sharper prices than this, given the HR-V has a considerably larger interior once you get past the B Pillar.

For my wallet, it makes both the CX-3 and the HR-V a pass - they're both just too little car for the money. IMHO, your money is much better spent on the bigger Mazda3, or save 100's of K and get the Mazda2 with similar (cramped) interior space, or add just 100K Baht to the top spec CX-3 and buy an Everest 2.2L Titanium - wow - what a huge difference in what you get for your hard earned money if doing that!

Prices:

Engines:

Yeah, it's pretty clear the pricing has been drawn up to go head to head with the HR-V - undercutting it in the lower end and matching it higher up - rather than reflecting it's actual Mazda2 roots.

Anyways, it looks like I was wrong, and the HR-V is no longer positioned all by itself wink.png

I really was anticipating sharper prices than this, given the HR-V has a considerably larger interior once you get past the B Pillar.

For my wallet, it makes both the CX-3 and the HR-V a pass - they're both just too little car for the money. IMHO, your money is much better spent on the bigger Mazda3, or save 100's of K and get the Mazda2 with similar (cramped) interior space, or add just 100K Baht to the top spec CX-3 and buy an Everest 2.2L Titanium - wow - what a huge difference in what you get for your hard earned money if doing that!

Absolutely, I think that they outpriced themselves with this one. (and I am certain I will be proven wrong and many Thais will buy it because it looks 'nice'...). If they would have brought the 1.5diesel with 4WD at 1.1m that would have been a possible 'winner'. There are people still looking for 4WD cars around that price and beside the rather lethargic and outdated interior Subaru XV there is nothing.

Prices:

Engines:

IMHO, how would the 2.0E at 835 000 compare to the Ford ecosport top of the range Titanium at 844 000?

Prices:

Engines:

More metal is not always a plus. Nothing against the Everest but the HR-V drivers I know seem to shy away from the extra size of the PPV's. CR-V, X-Trail or CX-5 may be an easier sell. Only problem is the bottom model will be basic.

Why do all these SUVs have hyphenated names?

More metal is not always a plus. Nothing against the Everest but the HR-V drivers I know seem to shy away from the extra size of the PPV's. CR-V, X-Trail or CX-5 may be an easier sell. Only problem is the bottom model will be basic.

I get that - I'm just still in shock over the prices they think they can get for this thing.

In other markets, it's priced head-to-head with the Ecosport - which is a 674-844K Baht car here.. Yes, it's getting a tax hit because of the extra 0.5L engine capacity, but that doesn't help explain how it's ended up so much more expensive than it's most 'natural' competition, IMHO. Let's also not forget that the 1.5L diesel actually qualifies for eco car taxes too - and the lowest tax bracket next year because it's < 100g/KM.

I wasn't really comparing it to the EV - totally different class - I was just using that to highlight how, erm, how should I put this... "ambitiously priced" the CX-3 is.

If you're seriously looking at spending this much money on a compact SUV, do yourself a favor and have a good look at the HR-V. If shopping at the top-spec 1.5L diesel price point, and you're open to the idea of an SUV that's twice the car (literally) for just 10% more money, do yourself a favor and stop by a Ford or Mitsubishi dealership.

Question- if ordering one now, is the only way to avoid the new car tax to pay the whole sum before the deadline?

I'm quite interested in the CX3 but only if the cabin width is wider than the Mazda 2. My head was an inch from the door frame pillar

What the cx3 has over the Honda is driving dynamics. It really isn't an SUV tho, just a jacked up small premium hatchback.

Here's a nice YT review of the CX-3...looks much more aggressive and all around better looking than the pudgy CX-5 IMO.

Agree - this car oozes style - on the outside - but that's at the expense of seriously small rear seat and trunk. Inside, the styling is at best "meh", but admittedly, no worse than anything else in the segment.

I haven't yet driven it, so can't comment there.

It's possible if you can live with eco-car space levels at C segment prices, and you've fallen in love with the styling, it'll work for you.

Prices:

Engines:

HRV has as much trunk space as a fortuner i think

The mazda is all good except its priced high for the interior equivalent to a honda city(or even brio i'd say)

IMHO. You also miss the HRV sells because many dont like Clonkers in mid prced truckie things. After that T/blazer my Lads converted to SILENCE.thumbsup.gif .

Silence is relative... e.g. compared to a Trailblazer, a Kubota isn't that noisy :P

Here's a nice YT review of the CX-3...looks much more aggressive and all around better looking than the pudgy CX-5 IMO.

Agree - this car oozes style - on the outside - but that's at the expense of seriously small rear seat and trunk. Inside, the styling is at best "meh", but admittedly, no worse than anything else in the segment.

I haven't yet driven it, so can't comment there.

It's possible if you can live with eco-car space levels at C segment prices, and you've fallen in love with the styling, it'll work for you.

It sort of looks to me as if Ford, Nissan, Honda and Mazda have decided to "fragment" the mini-SUV/crossover segment, at least by pricing, though arguably none of these deserve to be in c-Segment or c-segment pricing:

HR-V and CX-3 at the top of the pricing segment

Ecosport and Juke in the middle of the pricing segment

BR-V at the entry level pricing

I'm not sure if this was by design or by accident, but I predict Honda will dominate the first sub-segment over Mazda; Ford and Nissan will split the market in the middle; and Honda will own the micro-SUV slot with the BR-V.

Of course, we haven't accounted for Chevy or other brands in this yet.

IMHO, how would the 2.0E at 835 000 compare to the Ford ecosport top of the range Titanium at 844 000?

From a purely spec-sheet perspective:

Ecosport Titanium pros:

Moonroof

Leather seats (S grade+)

Climate control AC (C grade+)

Auto headlights (S grade+)

Rain sensing wipers (S grade+)

Fog lights (C grade+)

Keyless entry (C grade+)

Reversing sensors (S grade+)

CX-3 E pros:

2.0L engine

Torque Converter AT

Note that if you step up to the C grade or higher on the CX-3, the first thing you're going to get is an improved infotainment system - that's one notable area where the Ecosport and Fiesta are both behind the game now.

You should also be aware that a minor change of the Ecosport is rolling out in India right about now. Changes are very minimal though - the big difference is the 1.5L diesel's power output -but we don't get that engine here. There is an updated front grille design, and some added highlights to the interior though.. At this stage there's no word on when/whether TH will get the update.

It seems the sweetspot models in the CX-3 model lineup are the C and S grades (but, still too much Baht for what you get) - the E just misses out on too much, IMHO, and the SP/XDL just don't offer enough added value for the prices being asked.

From a purely spec-sheet perspective:

Ecosport Titanium pros:

Moonroof

Leather seats (S grade+)

Climate control AC (C grade+)

Auto headlights (S grade+)

Rain sensing wipers (S grade+)

Fog lights (C grade+)

Keyless entry (C grade+)

Reversing sensors (S grade+)

CX-3 E pros:

2.0L engine

Torque Converter AT

Note that if you step up to the C grade or higher on the CX-3, the first thing you're going to get is an improved infotainment system - that's one notable area where the Ecosport and Fiesta are both behind the game now.

You should also be aware that a minor change of the Ecosport is rolling out in India right about now. Changes are very minimal though - the big difference is the 1.5L diesel's power output -but we don't get that engine here. There is an updated front grille design, and some added highlights to the interior though.. At this stage there's no word on when/whether TH will get the update.

It seems the sweetspot models in the CX-3 model lineup are the C and S grades (but, still too much Baht for what you get) - the E just misses out on too much, IMHO, and the SP/XDL just don't offer enough added value for the prices being asked.

Thanks for that mate, nicely done.

Archived