New Mazda CX-3

IMHO

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Test drove it a couple of months back when we were making the product information guideline for the dealers. Have to say, pretty much the best small crossover I have driven in Thailand.

I'd probably have considered it. But it only has 160 cm ground clearance and quite small in the back. Others in it's class have up to 200 cm ground clearance, which is important for flooded Bangkok roads.

Keep in mind ground clearance does not = wading depth.

I'd probably have considered it. But it only has 160 cm ground clearance and quite small in the back. Others in it's class have up to 200 cm ground clearance, which is important for flooded Bangkok roads.

Keep in mind ground clearance does not = wading depth.

That's true...but it would have to be at least it's ground clearance. I don't even know wading depth would be well publicized for these vehicles.

This model has gotten great international auto- press reviews. One of my favorite YT auto reviewers, Alex On Autos, has named the CX-3 his favorite SUV in its class.

Which are the suv s in its class - with ok maintenance facilities in Chiangmai?

This model has gotten great international auto- press reviews. One of my favorite YT auto reviewers, Alex On Autos, has named the CX-3 his favorite SUV in its class.

In it's class:

Nissan Juke

Ford Ecosport

Honda BR-V

The CX3 is simply a Mazda 2 that's been lifted a bit. I'm sure it's a fine car but an SUV it ain't. All this talk of wading depth etc is a waste of time. The only off-roading it's capable of is finding a parking space in a 'makeshift' car park.

Well the issue isn't insignificant as most people buying this car will be living in cities such as Bangkok. I have to drive on Changwattana everyday and it floods badly at times in the wet season. My colleagues toyota corolla decided it wanted to make like a boat last wet season and 'float' down the road during a rainstorm. Every cm counts I reckon. Better to get a ranger and be done with the issue:)

In it's class:

Nissan Juke

Ford Ecosport

Honda BR-V

Honda HRV too.

Just had confirmation from a Mazda contact, no AWD on the Thai lineup

No that big a deal...not seen much snow or black ice in Thailand. ?
Sure but there are a lot of unsurfaced roads where AWD could be very useful.

It's useful, just not essential. I've driven on dry and wet unpaved gravel and dirt secondary roads all around Thailand without it and never been stranded.

In it's class:

Nissan Juke

Ford Ecosport

Honda BR-V

Honda HRV too.

Let's see what pricing is like first... the top-spec HR-V at 1.05M Baht really is in a class all by itself right now..

If we get a 2.0L gasoline version of the CX-3, then yes - if we only get Skyactiv 1.5's then most likely, no, the HR-V will continue to be positioned off-centre.

Just had confirmation from a Mazda contact, no AWD on the Thai lineup

No that big a deal...not seen much snow or black ice in Thailand. ?
Sure but there are a lot of unsurfaced roads where AWD could be very useful.

It's useful, just not essential. I've driven on dry and wet unpaved gravel and dirt secondary roads all around Thailand without it and never been stranded.

Everyone's milage varies of course. I have land that you simply can't visit for ~4 months a year if you don't have 4 wheels powered. A 4WD Ecosport, Juke, or CX-3 would make the journey though.

Edited by IMHO

In it's class:

Nissan Juke

Ford Ecosport

Honda BR-V

Honda HRV too.

hardly.

Those 3 are shaky plastic toys

HRV is a compact quality crossover with way more safety/technology

Some details now coming through for the Thai spec models.

Prices:

2.0E: 835K

2.0C: 910K

2.0S: 975K

2.0SP: 1.045M

1.5XDL: 1.155M

All versions are 6 speed automatic.

Engines:

2.0L Skyactiv-G makes 156HP / 203Nm, with a claimed FE of 16.4 KM/L

1.5L Skyactiv-D makes 105HP / 270Nm, with a claimed FE of 23.3 KM/L