METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

" he wants to just LIVE there for as long as he chooses. does the UK allow that? "

but they already allow this with people over 50 by just having a sum of money in the bank?blink.png

What difference does it make if it's a younger person as long as they can prove they have the financial means to support themselves adequately?

The difference is that they stay.

Why have farangs staying all year round and exacerbating xenophobia,when you can have a constant renewal of 2 week holidays Chinese spending 3 or 4 times what a farang would spend living here?

In that case, why have one rule for those over 50, and remove the ones under 50 ?

How about CONSISTENCY, remove them all, or remove none of them ?

As posted before, visa runs are finished. If you are wanting to stay in Thailand for an extended period then get the correct visa for which your purpose of stay correlates to.

Apply for a tourist visa from your home Thailand consulate. The visa run days of back to back are history. Get the correct visa.

So what about when you really are just a long term tourist in Thailand? I mean it's been discussed to death, but there is no "correct visa" available for a young person who receives an income from abroad or online and wishes to stay in Thailand.

Lets take my situation for example, what would be the "correct visa"?

-I live in Thailand, because I like staying here and traveling around

-I study for a UK distance learning course so I'm location independent (can't get ED visa for this)

-I receive a steady income from abroad, however I'm not working in Thailand

-I don't want to get married and don't have time to study Thai either..

why would you expect a country to allow young people from anywhere else in the world who happen to be financially independent to just go and live there just because they feel like it? does your home country allow that?

You're right, my home country does not allow this. But in Thailand's case, a vast number of these foreigners want to be here, they are here, and they spend a fair amount of money. Each one of them might not spend a lot, but it all adds up, the total amount of Thai baht that flows into Thailand from these foreigners (we're talking about the ones who are under 50, don't want to work, don't want to get married, etc) is surely, considerable ?

If the new rules get implemented, I think it will force a fair amount of people to leave Thailand, and the money goes as well. I've noticed a number of foreigners who are English language teachers, who are being told that their qualifications are simply not good enough to qualify for a work permit/visa, and they will have to go as well. Is Thailand doing itself a favour by carrying out these policies ?

By all means, target the foreigners who are "trouble makers" and remove them, but why target the others (the vast majority of us foreigners inThailand are not actually "trouble makers") and remove them as well ?

One more note, if lots of people from Germany and France want to simply live in the UK, they don't wish to work, (and let's say they can't claim social security), they just want to live there and spend their money. Well, surely, this benefits the UK ? Why remove these people ?

We have free movement in the EU, all member states can move to another country if they choose, there are limits on benefits when you first enter the UK. Lots of Germans and French do live in the UK, but Thailand is not the EU and plays by different rules.

Edited by tribalfusion001

" he wants to just LIVE there for as long as he chooses. does the UK allow that? "

but they already allow this with people over 50 by just having a sum of money in the bank?blink.png

What difference does it make if it's a younger person as long as they can prove they have the financial means to support themselves adequately?

because they want retirees. they dont want or trust young people. their perogative. I'll wager his country doesnt allow any age to live there indefinitely.

Thousands of foreigners living here permanently, without proper funds, using Non-Imm O visas/extensions.

They should be kicked out too?

Evidence for that assertion can be found where ?

All over this forum, where people who say they don't have the money for a Non-O Marriage visa are directed to run to Savanahket for a Multi. I am glad this "loophole" allows their families to stay together, and would guess many more will now be getting married to use this, until the avenue is closed.

At that point, I assume they will head for the loan-shark / brokers, given their choices will be:

1. Abandon your family.

2. Take a dodgy loan to meet immigration requirements.

The METV will force similar "line-of-credit" solutions for many - though not in Thai jurisdiction, so not illegal.

As posted before, visa runs are finished. If you are wanting to stay in Thailand for an extended period then get the correct visa for which your purpose of stay correlates to.

Apply for a tourist visa from your home Thailand consulate. The visa run days of back to back are history. Get the correct visa.

So what about when you really are just a long term tourist in Thailand? I mean it's been discussed to death, but there is no "correct visa" available for a young person who receives an income from abroad or online and wishes to stay in Thailand.

-I study for a UK distance learning course so I'm location independent (can't get ED visa for this)

why would you expect a country to allow young people from anywhere else in the world who happen to be financially independent to just go and live there just because they feel like it? does your home country allow that?

You're right, my home country does not allow this. But in Thailand's case, a vast number of these foreigners want to be here, they are here, and they spend a fair amount of money. Each one of them might not spend a lot, but it all adds up, the total amount of Thai baht that flows into Thailand from these foreigners (we're talking about the ones who are under 50, don't want to work, don't want to get married, etc) is surely, considerable ?

If the new rules get implemented, I think it will force a fair amount of people to leave Thailand, and the money goes as well. I've noticed a number of foreigners who are English language teachers, who are being told that their qualifications are simply not good enough to qualify for a work permit/visa, and they will have to go as well. Is Thailand doing itself a favour by carrying out these policies ?

By all means, target the foreigners who are "trouble makers" and remove them, but why target the others (the vast majority of us foreigners inThailand are not actually "trouble makers") and remove them as well ?

One more note, if lots of people from Germany and France want to simply live in the UK, they don't wish to work, (and let's say they can't claim social security), they just want to live there and spend their money. Well, surely, this benefits the UK ? Why remove these people ?

does the UK allow american and canadians to just come and stay? surely this would benefit the UK. why dont they do it?

• Like 2

Well, if u havent got 200k then why on earth you taking 6 months holidays... No other country will allow you in, without proving you can take care of yourself...

Thousands of foreigners living here permanently, without proper funds, using Non-Imm O visas/extensions.

How about the foreigner shows a bank account with 200,000 baht (4,000 pounds) that's been there for six months, and they get given a six month tourist visa ? And when that visa runs out, Mr Foreigner shows the bank account again, it's got more than 200,000 baht and it's been there for six months, and he gets a six months extension on his tourist visa ?

See, the latest rules appear to be trying to say "we don't care if you've got some money, we don't actually want you here if you are under 50".

Well, if u havent got 200k then why on earth you taking 6 months holidays... No other country will allow you in, without proving you can take care of yourself...

How about the foreigner shows a bank account with 200,000 baht (4,000 pounds) that's been there for six months, and they get given a six month tourist visa ? And when that visa runs out, Mr Foreigner shows the bank account again, it's got more than 200,000 baht and it's been there for six months, and he gets a six months extension on his tourist visa ?

See, the latest rules appear to be trying to say "we don't care if you've got some money, we don't actually want you here if you are under 50".

APPEAR to be trying to say?? lol. thats exactly what theyre saying, and so do most countries.

does the UK allow american and canadians to just come and stay? surely this would benefit the UK. why dont they do it?

We use to, but not anymore, they have to go the visa process to get into the UK, the same as any other non EU citizen, (but slightly easier visa process, than for Thai nationals).

Do i miss something...arn't Laotians allowed to enter Thailand on a ASEAN agreed 30 day entry free of charge with the new restrictions of 90 days per year.......?

It's late so forgive my ignorence.

Yes. And currently the 90 days a year limit is only being applied at the Cambodian border. I can't see many/any Laotians applying for a METV.

We have free movement in the EU, all member states can move to another country if they choose, there are limits on benefits when you first enter the UK. Lots of Germans and French do live in the UK, but Thailand is not the EU and plays by different rules.

Yes. I'm trying to say that if EU citizens turn up in Britain, IF they are banned from collecting any social security, if they are banned from NHS services and public housing, they don't want to work, they do have some money, and they simply want to live in Britain, well surely, Britain will/does benefit from these people ? And from that, when foreigners turn up in Thailand, they are in the same situation as mentioned just now, they will also benefit Thailand ?

As posted before, visa runs are finished. If you are wanting to stay in Thailand for an extended period then get a fake marriage

fixed that for you :)

seriously though, (some) people love thailand, (some) people will do anything to stay, fair means or foul. it doesnt matter what loopholes they try and close its a game of whack a mole for thai immigration

• Like 1

Yes. I'm trying to say that if EU citizens turn up in Britain, IF they are banned from collecting any social security, if they are banned from NHS services and public housing, they don't want to work, they do have some money, and they simply want to live in Britain, well surely, Britain will/does benefit from these people ? And from that, when foreigners turn up in Thailand, they are in the same situation as mentioned just now, they will also benefit Thailand ?

It's only the first 3 months that they cannot claim benefits, but can access NHS straight away. I think you will find a lot of British people don't like foreigners, but the UK government likes to play the pc card and says they benefit the economy, in fact it's the reverse of Thailand 555

@Lampang2
Re: "Thailand clearly wants to snap out of Disneyland mode."

@tribalfusion001
Re: "I don't think the administration is too bothered about losing a few thousand farang, especially when you have a multitude of Chinese tourists on package tours. Nice package tours, malls, cultural places, hotels and no beer bars, go go bars or giving money to poor Isaan girls/families."

@Kitsune
Re: "Why have farangs staying all year round and exacerbating xenophobia,when you can have a constant renewal of 2 week holidays Chinese spending 3 or 4 times what a farang would spend living here?"
-----------

The Westerners who stay actually learn the language, etc. Tell me those groups following the guy with the flag on a stick are not "playing disneyland" with Thailand. "No beer-bars" would take a leg off of their tour. Granted, they don't "spend money" there (and do any good for Thailand in the process) - but it is part of the tour. Don't forget 7-11 for meals and souvenirs. Very correct that they won't be helping poor Thai families, like Westerners do. Fact is, most Chinese on cheap package-tours spend less in than a Westerner. Subtract airfare to the Chinese Airline, and do you really think they have that much cash left to spread around?

Back to the point, how does the METV help those Chinese tourists and/or how are the Westerners being inconvenienced by its rules in any way interfering in Chinese tourism? They come to to see Thailand "As It Is" - otherwise they could go to Lao and get the clean "temples and monuments only" tour.

It's only the first 3 months that they cannot claim benefits, but can access NHS straight away. I think you will find a lot of British people don't like foreigners, but the UK government likes to play the pc card and says they benefit the economy, in fact it's the reverse of Thailand 555

They do benefit the economy, it's not just something they say: do a little research on the subject.

Any country that doesn't realise attracting young immigrants is the only practical solution to a rapidly ageing population will find out the truth sooner or later, probably too late for them to do anything about it though. As far as I recall, Thailand's population is quite old by Asian standards so they ought to be encouraging immigration if they want to remain economically viable as a country in the long term.

Many people may not realize that each Thai Consulate pays for its associated costs by way of consulate services offered.

The Thai government grants them the means to be restricted services or full service providers

Either way they issue visas at their discretion and each consular general decides if that Consulate will or will not issue a variety of Visas or provide other Consular related services

Long story short: The more visas they issue the more money they generate...so if the revenue flow falls significantly by way of new rulings that curb the flow of revenues you can understand if and when the Rules are bent and or corrupted ...somehow ....some way.

When you start crunching the numbers you begin to realize some of the regional Consulates / Embassies generate significant amounts of money.

For the Consulate General posted to each Consulate you can surmise the cash flow revenues are very persuading such that the rules are often ignored ...someway...somehow.....if you know what I mean

Cheers

Consulates (especially honorary consulates) are allowed much less leeway now than was true a few years ago. Many classes of visa can only be issued by the embassy, or must be endorsed by the embassy each time before being issued.

The Thai Embassy in Washington, USA already has a similar worded announcment.

I would say that this is world-wide.

the Thai Embassys in Britain allow for Postal Applications (if sent to a british address) friend or parents.

maybe a possibility to send passport to the UK,,, get your family or friends to re-post the passport application to the consulate and get visa.

then send passport (DHL) back to you in Thailand with the appropriate visa....

• Do you think the fact that it has to be sent to a British address might be a clue why you are not supposed to do what you suggest.

You must be resident and present in the country to qualify. Anyone doing this would be bonkers!

- the fact that it has to be sent to a British address might be a clue why you are not supposed to do what you suggest.

Nonsense. applying by post does not ask that you are in the country. they just assume you are, but not request it.

a british address is because it is a DOMESTIC consulate. it does not have legal right to issue any visas to another country where there is already another consulate.

UK consulates are for UK applications and a UK application is satisfied with a UK address.

In the case of the UK do not "assume" you are in-country at all. They published a "how to apply when not" - which I posted earlier - taken from an older thread on this subject:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868729-metv-visa-vientiane-laos-its-official/page-9#entry10049407

I see nothing on the USA-DC or other consulates saying anything about "being in the country at the time of application" either. Nothing in the USA-passport laws prevent it. No rules or laws are broken here, unless the 3rd country where you stay while doing the mail-in has an issue. If consulates start "making up their own rules" (golly, that's never happened before) and looking for open-stamps to 3rd countries, using Hong Kong (no entry stamp) will solve this. I think flying all the way back to <deleted> would be bonkers.

---

@SS1

Re: "Lets take my situation for example, what would be the "correct visa"? / "I study for a UK distance learning course ..."

See if the UK regs allow "student" in place of "place of employment" like the DC regs do. This may depend on how many hours you enroll / semester. If not, you many need to set up a legal company there. Note, you do not need to prove that company (or even you) has "income".

Under this scheme, we will have many people using shell-companies or Distance-Learning courses combined with lines of credit to get METVs (not saying that applies to you). It is unfortunate they did not simply ask us to show money flowing into a Thai account from overseas, which would actually mean something, in this equation .

I think it is 6 for EU applicants only.

As for health every citizen has the same rights in any EU country. Try Spain where you have a million retirees.

Regarding US the rules are ridiculous but this is another matter. Lets go back to our main issue.

Anyone who has funds can stay in LOS as long as he/she likes. Thats the bottom line, and it doesnt change for the rest of the world.

• Like 1

Interesting they include proof of marriage as one of the options, as usually such people would apply for a non-o. A 12 month ME non-o will cost about the same? Much better option compared to this 6 month METV.

The real gotcha here is the requirement to show proof of funds, and employment, not limited to the country of your pp, but you need to be living and working (legally) in the country where you apply.

Perhaps a flood of motorbikes, cars, huge tvs and many other 'toys' for sale soon? High-end desktops and sound systems are on my radar... laugh.png

So if for instance I am an Australian over 60 but retired early, I need to be able to prove I am employed in Australia to obtain I double-entry tourist visa in my country? Even though I have no job but have enough money to support myself?

There will be no double-entry tourist visa, only singles or METV.

You will only get a single

Regardless of the writing on the walls of the various consulates/embassies, I doubt someone who can prove they are retired and meet the financial requirements will be refused a METV.

You need to ask at what stage of a person's life would be the most likely, for tourist reasons, to take 6 months out, while you are still working or when you are retired?

If the MFA have not considered this, then IMO there are major flaws with their target applicants.

This is written with 'normal' tourists in mind and not for someone trying to circumvent the system to stay long time in Thailand.

• Like 2

It's not surprising at all they just follow suit.

You can stay in Thailand for a total of 5 months without getting

stopped at the Immigration if you arrive here by air to get a visa-

exempt stamp of 30-day stay, extend it for 30 days, go to one of

the Thai Embassies or Consulates for a single-entry 60-day TV

and extend it for 30 days, which will all cost you 4,800B.

Where are the Thai embassies or consulates in Thailand?\

Don't think you are staying in Thailand with your logic. You must leave at one point in the 5 months.

You must leave every 60 days on the METV option anyway.

-----------

The Westerners who stay actually learn the language, etc. Tell me those groups following the guy with the flag on a stick are not "playing disneyland" with Thailand. "No beer-bars" would take a leg off of their tour. Granted, they don't "spend money" there (and do any good for Thailand in the process) - but it is part of the tour. Don't forget 7-11 for meals and souvenirs. Very correct that they won't be helping poor Thai families, like Westerners do. Fact is, most Chinese on cheap package-tours spend less in than a Westerner. Subtract airfare to the Chinese Airline, and do you really think they have that much cash left to spread around?

Back to the point, how does the METV help those Chinese tourists and/or how are the Westerners being inconvenienced by its rules in any way interfering in Chinese tourism? They come to to see Thailand "As It Is" - otherwise they could go to Lao and get the clean "temples and monuments only" tour.

You are looking for tortuous explanations, when reality is much simpler -and unfortunately much uglier-

They used to want us -long staying farangs- as well as Chinese. Now with 7.8 Millions of Chinese tourists per year, they can afford to get rid of us.

It is simple as that.

Thai people opinion has been switched regarding foreigners: They used to worship us as semi-deities, they now held us responsible for all the problems this country has. Getting rid of most foreigners here, is a very popular opinion among the majority of Thais.

You only have to read the haters comments here to get an idea - a pale idea- of what the locals think of us....Where do you think they get it from?

-----------

You are looking for tortuous explanations, when reality is much simpler -and unfortunately much uglier-

They used to want us -long staying farangs- as well as Chinese. Now with 7.8 Millions of Chinese tourists per year, they can afford to get rid of us.

It is simple as that.

Thai people opinion has been switched regarding foreigners: They used to worship us as semi-deities, they now held us responsible for all the problems this country has. Getting rid of most foreigners here, is a very popular opinion among the majority of Thais.

You only have to read the haters comments here to get an idea - a pale idea- of what the locals think of us....Where do you think they get it from?

One of the daftest posts I've read in a long time. Semi - deities?

• Like 2

Maybe because criminals will find it just as convenient.

Thailand does not need young people, they have enough problems with their own. Inviting spoiled self-entitled layabouts to live here is not benefiting this country one bit.

Can anyone do this in your country? If your answer is 'yes' then is that why you cannot live and work there?

How is it the same group that moans about foreigners flooding their country, taking jobs and destroying the culture feel entitled to do the same here?

• Like 2

It is simple as that.

I have numerous accounts of being treated like deity, did not particularly liked it but that's how it was 15 years ago. Now it's the opposite

When I arrived in Thailand in 2000, I was not allowed to queue. Anywhere.

Every time I would go and join a queue at a BTS, a bank, a food stall, any shop, people will always make a fuss that as a foreign guest I should never queue. I found it quite embarrassing actually and tried to refuse to be jumping queues but people insisted.

Whenever I was fumbling my pockets looking for coins to put on the BTS machine, some Thai person would come along and give me their change.

On many occasions i was given the best seats everywhere I would go,sometimes dislodging old grannies, it was sooo embarrassing.

• Like 2

One last hope for Vietnam & Indonesia, but not holding breath...

The Thai Embassy in Washington, USA already has a similar worded announcment.

I would say that this is world-wide.

the Thai Embassys in Britain allow for Postal Applications (if sent to a british address) friend or parents.

maybe a possibility to send passport to the UK,,, get your family or friends to re-post the passport application to the consulate and get visa.

then send passport (DHL) back to you in Thailand with the appropriate visa.

then you do a visa run to Poipet and ACTIVATE this visa..

will my idea work ? can you see any flaw in my idea ?

apart from not having your passport on you for a few weeks, not really a big deal.

and DHL or UPS will make sure passport is safe in transit.

seriously, will my idea work? (if you are british).

maybe USA and other countries also have local visa applications by post.

• Do you think the fact that it has to be sent to a British address might be a clue why you are not supposed to do what you suggest.
  • And what happens when the person issuing the METV notices that you're stamped in to Thailand?
  • And what happens when you enter Thailand and the IO notices that the visa was issued in the UK when you were in Thailand?
  • And what happens if you're stopped and asked to produce your passport during it's trip to and from the UK?
You must be resident and present in the country to qualify.

Anyone doing this would be bonkers!

- what happens when the person issuing the METV notices that you're stamped in to Thailand?

Ok, so i (or anyone) can EXIT Thailand and take a 2 week trip in Lao or another country, thus having an EXIT STAMP and apply from Lao (or other country) by Post.

- what happens when you enter Thailand and the IO notices that the visa was issued in the UK when you were in Thailand?

see above answer.

- what happens if you're stopped and asked to produce your passport during it's trip to and from the UK?

What happens when youre stopped and need to produce a passport when you are in the midst of applying for a new passport, or have a lost passport? besides, almost all police accept photo ID, (Driving license) this has Never been an issue for me in thailand for more than 10 years.

anyway. because of the EXIT STAMP issue, it is all SOLVED by applying from a near-by country, Thus exiting thailand and all your points are now answered due to the fact that i can do this from ABROAD. (without having to go to England).

- the fact that it has to be sent to a British address might be a clue why you are not supposed to do what you suggest.

Nonsense. applying by post does not ask that you are in the country. they just assume you are, but not request it.

a british address is because it is a DOMESTIC consulate. it does not have legal right to issue any visas to another country where there is already another consulate.

UK consulates are for UK applications.

and a UK application is satisfied with a UK address.

What do you take immi for,idiots.They will ask at the border how you got METV in Laos without being a Laotion resident and no evidence of going to UK.There is also the matter of showing 200k baht in your bank for 6 months,and showing you have a job,in the UK.You are stuffed and sounding rather desperate.You are exactly the reason this visa was introduced,you are a rorter.

Consulates (especially honorary consulates) are allowed much less leeway now than was true a few years ago. Many classes of visa can only be issued by the embassy, or must be endorsed by the embassy each time before being issued.

Yes...this is more or less true while the Consulates or Embassies are, in theory, supposed to tow the line set by the Thai government relative to the Government authorities concern immigration issues....who ever they are and how many sectors of the Thai government are involved.

Meantime many of the Thai embassies or consulates do not tow the line

Without going into the details:

Less than 12 hours ago ......A person I know just arrived back from a "Organized" prepaid visa run to Vientiane...all paid for up front and near guaranteed ( as in, no one is turned down ...but they could be turned down ) to receive a 2 journey x 60 day tourist visa.

The person told be multiple vans leave a designated place and take the clients to Vientiane Laos and they take care of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE receives their passports back and everyone has received the 2 journeys x 60 days per journey tourist visa known as a multiple entry x 2, 60 days stay before having to exit the county on or before the end of the 1st journey ...and you know the rest of how it works.

I was told foreigners, other than Asians, are charged about 2.5 times more for the exact same services while they are all conveniently kept separate with separate vans and separate hotels and considerable effort made to keep the foreigners from knowing how much more they pay as compared to how much less the Asian clientele are paying

Hmmmmmm...so nice knowing the same service company charges more for being a white skin foreigner verses a brown skinned Asian foreigner.

The person told me, they were told, that after 5 times doing the visa run arrangement, to the knowledge of the Visa Run agent ....a person could be tuned down by the consulate ...but so far it is not happened while there is more than likely not all that many people having a passport with say 10 or 15 or 20 times seen multiple journey 60 day visas stamped in their passport.

So...as I have always said: The rules are ignored or circumvented or they are bent in a manner that the Consulates and or Embassies still issue what is believed to be unobtainable ...or...now difficult to obtain.....according to the published information...but in reality...often it is different.

I will leave it up to the readers to surmise just how this prepaid Visa run arrangement works that is organized by THAI PEOPLE, who make a tidy sum of money from this service, concerning how the whole affair actually works and how could this be...you may be asking....while you just have to use your imagination just a little bit to figure it all out.

Cheers

I read yesterday about France's new tourist target of 100 million per year!......the bulk of the increase coming from you know where.....China.

No different here. To all those OPs who say they need us.......Nah. Not anymore (not that they ever did.)

Medical tourists and short term farang, middle eastern or African tourists welcome. Spend your money then goodbye.

If western sanctions go ahead on account of human trafficking or failure to have democracy then we can expect the reception to get even cooler than it is now.

It is simple as that.

I have numerous accounts of being treated like deity, did not particularly liked it but that's how it was 15 years ago. Now it's the opposite

When I arrived in Thailand in 2000, I was not allowed to queue. Anywhere.

Every time I would go and join a queue at a BTS, a bank, a food stall, any shop, people will always make a fuss that as a foreign guest I should never queue. I found it quite embarrassing actually and tried to refuse to be jumping queues but people insisted.

Whenever I was fumbling my pockets looking for coins to put on the BTS machine, some Thai person would come along and give me their change.

On many occasions i was given the best seats everywhere I would go,sometimes dislodging old grannies, it was sooo embarrassing.

You are seriously delusional - check the dosage of your meds - there seems to be a problem.

The number of tourist arrivals in 2000 was 10 million... LINK

• Like 1

... how does the METV help those Chinese tourists and/or how are the Westerners being inconvenienced by its rules in any way interfering in Chinese tourism? They come to to see Thailand "As It Is" - otherwise they could go to Lao and get the clean "temples and monuments only" tour.

They used to want us -long staying farangs- as well as Chinese. Now with 7.8 Millions of Chinese tourists per year, they can afford to get rid of us. It is simple as that.

The haters comments seem (to me) to be the usual generational-resentment of younger people - in this case, having better life-options at an earlier age - little to do with Thai opinions. I read the government speeches and announcements, and I have not heard any general demonization of foreingers. Yes, "bad ones out" - overstayers, people taking Thai jobs, etc. I have no issue with arresting and booting these types, as I wish they would in my country.

But notice the new rules do not set limits on TVs?. If they wanted us gone, a limit on TVs in mo/yr would do it nicely. Therefore, "Quality Tourist" = "can prove they have the money" and hold onto it for 6 mo. Under-50s with money (5x a Thai salary and up) are OK. Those in the 3x Thai salary range and below may have a hard time now, and may be "filtered" into other countries, though the creative ones will still make it. Even those who don't can save money in Camobdia (rooms start at $40/mo and fish is dirt-cheap), then come back, given there is no "income requirement" in the new rules.

How is it the same group that moans about foreigners flooding their country, taking jobs and destroying the culture feel entitled to do the same here?

I haven't seen any complaints about immigrants "destroying the culture." As to jobs, those bringing in foreign-capital from a global-marketplace do not "compete with Thais" by living here. Their leaving Thailand does not remove them from the global marketplace for more than one day. As soon as their Cambodian 3G-Sim is installed in place of the Thai one, they are right back in business. In fact, if they move to Cambodia, this lowers their cost of living, making it more difficult for Thais to compete with them.

• Like 1

-----------

It is simple as that.

You have it arse about face.If Thai's read,as some most certainly do,how a lot of posters on this forum hate them so much,deride them at every oportunity and call them monkeys,no wonder they want to get rid of us.By the way,i am still semi deity in the small fishbowl where i live.