METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Interesting they include proof of marriage as one of the options, as usually such people would apply for a non-o. A 12 month ME non-o will cost about the same? Much better option compared to this 6 month METV.

The real gotcha here is the requirement to show proof of funds, and employment, not limited to the country of your pp, but you need to be living and working (legally) in the country where you apply.

Perhaps a flood of motorbikes, cars, huge tvs and many other 'toys' for sale soon? High-end desktops and sound systems are on my radar... laugh.png

So if for instance I am an Australian over 60 but retired early, I need to be able to prove I am employed in Australia to obtain I double-entry tourist visa in my country? Even though I have no job but have enough money to support myself?

I wrote away to my Embassy asking the same question but no reply yet. My lawyer told me to start up a shelf company and write your own letter of employment. Still, I have found another way to stay long term here legally without using a TE Visa now via a business partner.

You just have to play with the ground rules you are given. It is either pay up or shut up and go home.

I highly doubt that what you are doing is legal .

Guys, do you really believe that all these nationalities are present in such high numbers as residents in Indonesia that they have to make a list for them to apply solely in Jakarta?

That would make no sense

Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Central African Republic, DR Congo, Republic of Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Guinea, India, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Liberia, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen

Yes, but when they make rules, they have to make rules for ALL Nationalities

They do...just some rules for some nationalities are different to others

Is this hard to understand.....or does it seem unfair to you?

Interesting they include proof of marriage as one of the options, as usually such people would apply for a non-o. A 12 month ME non-o will cost about the same? Much better option compared to this 6 month METV.

The real gotcha here is the requirement to show proof of funds, and employment, not limited to the country of your pp, but you need to be living and working (legally) in the country where you apply.

Perhaps a flood of motorbikes, cars, huge tvs and many other 'toys' for sale soon? High-end desktops and sound systems are on my radar... laugh.png

So if for instance I am an Australian over 60 but retired early, I need to be able to prove I am employed in Australia to obtain I double-entry tourist visa in my country? Even though I have no job but have enough money to support myself?

There will be no double-entry tourist visa, only singles or METV.

You will only get a single

Edited by Maestro
corrected terminology

I can see a mass migration home over the next 6 months....

Why "home"? That's close to the bottom of my "to visit" list. Many will go to Cambodia and the Philippines, who will make millions more $$ / mo in sales and foreign-currency xfers. And to apply for the METV visa from a consulate in your home-country does not mean taking your "body" there, even temporarily - only your passport need travel there, with the requisite paperwork.

... Number of hanger ons that cannot get a long-term visa but refuse to leave voluntarily, lots and lots. ... As the Gen has said "Good foreigners in, bad foreigners out"

I am not sure what you mean about "refuse to leave voluntarily..." I had to leave every 90 days on TVs, obtained legal visas as required, and was permitted to return. All was "voluntary" on the part of all parties involved. Fortunately, those staying long-term on TVs have not at all been labeled "bad" - only required to produce proof of funds plus a business license.

Continued use of Tourist visas as a means of living(and working?) in Thailand was bound to result , eventually, in preventive action by the Authorities.

They could always go to the schools and catch the workers - but I generally agree on that point. As to those "living" here, there is no stipulation in any new rules which would prevent spending ~350 days/yr in Thailand on TVs - SEs, METVs, and VisaExmpts. One only has to meet the requirements, just like retirement, marriage, or other types of visas.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

It's not surprising at all they just follow suit.

You can stay in Thailand for a total of 5 months without getting

stopped at the Immigration if you arrive here by air to get a visa-

exempt stamp of 30-day stay, extend it for 30 days, go to one of

the Thai Embassies or Consulates for a single-entry 60-day TV

and extend it for 30 days, which will all cost you 4,800B.

Where are the Thai embassies or consulates in Thailand?\

Don't think you are staying in Thailand with your logic. You must leave at one point in the 5 months.

I want a job as a METV officer in Vientiane !

Loads of time on Facebook ! biggrin.png

The consular staff in Vientiane will not be happy with this.

You kidding?

It's the official end of their nightmare,they used to be constantly swamped!

So if people have to go there twice as often (every three months rather than every six months) you think they will be less swamped?

yes because Vientiane's rule is already 3 TR visa max.

if you are over sixty do a search on many of the threads on the forum. You could easily get a non O visa that you could extend on the basis of retirement for years to come provided you meet the financial requirements which aren't that onerous - about 33k dollars in the bank. Don't count on any Aussie support though, pension etc, once you are here.

• Like 1

Someone earlier someone asked me when I said a step backwards. probable a tourist visa hater.

I have been coming to Thailand 10 years.

Now Lived In Chiangmai 2 years.

Kept a old lady with and small guest house going for 2 years with a monthly rent.

A small bike rental company going for 2 years with a monthly rent.

There has been hardly any tourist staying at my place of residence.

But I am a bad person a visa runner.

Not retired but fortunate to stay here due to medical reasons.

Shame on those ......idiots

My landlady had been internally grateful for my length of stay. which is now coming to end by the bureaucrat idiots of Thailand and a government that's taking this country 20 years backward.

Touching but irrelevant, they dont care, they are getting 5.2 Millions of kicking baby tigers Chinese tourists in nov-dec alone this year.

And that whom they prefer you to.

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/chinese-tourist-condemned-for-kicking-baby-tigers-cage/119524/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868466-52-million-tourists-mostly-chinese-are-expected-to-visit-thailand-in-november-december/#entry10046546

I arrive in Vientiane early on the 12th of November and was intending to apply for the old Double Entry tourist visa which I have used 4 times in the last 3 years. Will it still be availble then, 1 day before the changes come into place?

4). Erosion of Thainess by cultural long term foreigners staying here

- Possibly, but then this is not a problem being solved, but rather a fear being prevented and would be more similar to the recent stopping alcohol sales rule 300 meters of a school, which is more a moral judgement and not really problem solving.

There's been plenty of examples of 'Thainess' in the news this week...

I wrote away to my Embassy asking the same question but no reply yet. My lawyer told me to start up a shelf company and write your own letter of employment. Still, I have found another way to stay long term here legally without using a TE Visa now via a business partner.

You just have to play with the ground rules you are given. It is either pay up or shut up and go home.

" My lawyer told me to start up a shelf company and write your own letter of employment "

would you care to share with us how you got around all the requirements to get a work permit (e.g. 2 million baht paid up capital and four Thai employees)?

So if people have to go there twice as often (every three months rather than every six months) you think they will be less swamped?

Maybe Vientiene will finally let us know what the financial-specifics are for the "blue stamp" - and then see more of us 2x as often?

It would be easier to show "my papers" there, than have to Fed-Ex them back home with my passport for the METV, which still requires I take regular trips out of the country while using it.

I just came from 7-11, where a Chinese tour-group were enjoying dinner from the microwave, and doing a big "ohh ahh" over the little cosmetics section. I passed many business fronts "for sale" on the way. Chinese tourists will not fill condos, nice restaraunts, etc - no matter how many come on pre-paid tours with discount low-rate hotel-bookings. They also will not support a Thai family, even though they cannot "marry-in," due to the cultural / financial differences, impossible to own a house, etc.

People like me do those things - as well as many who make considerably less than what I make, but still many times a Thai's salary. Many of those will now have to leave. There will be a lot of Tears - mostly Thai tears - thanks to this policy.

I agree in terms of filling up condos, for now anyway.

Yes 1.42 trillions baht that won't go anywhere near the pocket of your grannie landlord, it's all going to be chain hotels, restaurants and yes 7-11.

But does Thai government care about old grannies?

The number of tourists visiting Thailand for the whole year this year is expected to reach 29.5 million, about 700,000 above an earlier forecast of 28.8 million generating revenues totaling about 1.42 trillion baht – an increase of 20 billion baht from earlier forecast of 1.4 trillion baht.

Maybe Vientiene will finally let us know what the financial-specifics are for the "blue stamp" - and then see more of us 2x as often?

It would be easier to show "my papers" there, than have to Fed-Ex them back home with my passport for the METV, which still requires I take regular trips out of the country while using it.

That's precisely the point of METV; make you go back to your own country after a couple of SETV, where your credentials (employment, bank letters, residency, etc) can be properly assessed.

They used to complain they could not verify foreign docs, now they won't have to, they will just point us out to METV back home.

I am hoping there is still a way to get the METV for those offshore workers with 2 passports.

Someone could apply by post in the UK for me then FedEx me the passport with new visa.

I would then have to leave thailand on my old passport and re enter on my new one.

Unless I have missed something?...

One last hope for Vietnam & Indonesia, but not holding breath...

The Thai Embassy in Washington, USA already has a similar worded announcment.

I would say that this is world-wide.

the Thai Embassys in Britain allow for Postal Applications (if sent to a british address) friend or parents.

maybe a possibility to send passport to the UK,,, get your family or friends to re-post the passport application to the consulate and get visa.

then send passport (DHL) back to you in Thailand with the appropriate visa.

then you do a visa run to Poipet and ACTIVATE this visa..

will my idea work ? can you see any flaw in my idea ?

apart from not having your passport on you for a few weeks, not really a big deal.

and DHL or UPS will make sure passport is safe in transit.

seriously, will my idea work? (if you are british).

maybe USA and other countries also have local visa applications by post.

Edited by easybullet3
  • Like 1

" My lawyer told me to start up a shelf company and write your own letter of employment "

would you care to share with us how you got around all the requirements to get a work permit (e.g. 2 million baht paid up capital and four Thai employees)?

Not really but I can tell you I will need to get a legal work permit and I will have to come out of retirement for a few years, but such is life as you cannot have it all your way. I have a Degree and I might as well use it again.

I still have not decided anything as I am still considering the TE Visa as I like my life the way it is now and the hassle of going back to work is something I need to think about.

Last thing I want to do is do anything illegal here and I want Thailand to be my long term home once I reach 50 in just a few short years. The last thing I want to do is jeopardize that!

I arrive in Vientiane early on the 12th of November and was intending to apply for the old Double Entry tourist visa which I have used 4 times in the last 3 years. Will it still be availble then, 1 day before the changes come into place?

They are usually telling to bugger off after three, but these times being pre-METV,some posters have reported general leniency regarding DETR.

Try it!

Although technically the visa will only be issued the next working day which makes it the 13th,so could be refused

One last hope for Vietnam & Indonesia, but not holding breath...

the Thai Embassys in Britain allow for Postal Applications (if sent to a british address) friend or parents.

maybe a possibility to send passport to the UK,,, get your family or friends to re-post the passport application to the consulate and get visa.

apart from not having your passport on you for a few weeks, not really a big deal.

and DHL or UPS will make sure passport is safe in transit.

seriously, will my idea work? (if you are british).

maybe USA and other countries also have local visa applications by post.

You would missed the exit-stamp.

You would missed the exit-stamp.

And leaving on an old Thai visa, with a new Thai visa in your passport - "two visas at once." Those with 2 passports could do this easily - but the rest of us must go to a 3rd country. We can "be in Thailand without a passport" while it is being renewed - so maybe yes, but maybe no.

If the issue is really "verification of documents" at consulates - then this is perfectly in-line with the intents and purposes of the "apply in home country" restriction. Note that the married and retired verify their post 90-days documents at Immigration - a different system entirely from the consulates.

Edited by JackThompson

They are usually telling to bugger off after three, but these times being pre-METV,some posters have reported general leniency regarding DETR.

Try it!

Although technically the visa will only be issued the next working day which makes it the 13th,so could be refused

Ok thanks, sounds like a massive risk I will try change my flights to arrive early on the 11th I think. Would like to give my self the best chance possible.

I am getting a bit fed up with reading on all these threads that just because I am longer term here on tourist visa's I am not a genuine tourist.

The oxford dictionaries definition of a tourist is:

'A person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure'

There is no time limit specified in this definition.

I am in Thailand purely for PLEASURE and I have a base here in a condo I own legally in my name and TRAVEL around regularly in a car I legally own in my name.

The closed thing I do to work is check my bank account online every few weeks check the money from my investments in the UK has been paid on time.

TBH as long as I can get single entry tourist visa's still and a new METV visa on my annual visit to my home country I am not too bothered by this new tourist visa regime, but it will mean I spend less of my income (about 100,000 baht a month) in Thailand and more in the city's of other Asian countries while I am getting a single entry every 3 months.

Good luck to everyone except the haters

I think Thailand considers tourists exactly as your definition. I think when people on TV refer to genuine tourists they are also mean that definition of tourist.

Your complaint should be with people that aren't genuine tourists who have abused the system and now make it harder for genuine long term tourists like yourself.