METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Yes. I'm trying to say that if EU citizens turn up in Britain, IF they are banned from collecting any social security, if they are banned from NHS services and public housing, they don't want to work, they do have some money, and they simply want to live in Britain, well surely, Britain will/does benefit from these people ? And from that, when foreigners turn up in Thailand, they are in the same situation as mentioned just now, they will also benefit Thailand ?

It's only the first 3 months that they cannot claim benefits, but can access NHS straight away. I think you will find a lot of British people don't like foreigners, but the UK government likes to play the pc card and says they benefit the economy, in fact it's the reverse of Thailand 555

They do benefit the economy, it's not just something they say: do a little research on the subject.

Any country that doesn't realise attracting young immigrants is the only practical solution to a rapidly ageing population will find out the truth sooner or later, probably too late for them to do anything about it though. As far as I recall, Thailand's population is quite old by Asian standards so they ought to be encouraging immigration if they want to remain economically viable as a country in the long term.

We're getting away from the point here. IF foreigners turn up in Britain, IF they are banned from collecting any social security, IF they are not allowed NHS or public housing, and they have money. They just want to live in Britain, they don't want to work, well, surely, these people do benefit Britain ?

And if foreigners turn up in Thailand, they are in the same situation, they've got money, they don't want to work, they're not going to get government health-care in Thailand, they're not being subsidised in any way, surely, they are benefitting Thailand ?

As posted before, visa runs are finished. If you are wanting to stay in Thailand for an extended period then get the correct visa for which your purpose of stay correlates to.

Apply for a tourist visa from your home Thailand consulate. The visa run days of back to back are history. Get the correct visa.

So what about when you really are just a long term tourist in Thailand? I mean it's been discussed to death, but there is no "correct visa" available for a young person who receives an income from abroad or online and wishes to stay in Thailand.

Lets take my situation for example, what would be the "correct visa"?

-I live in Thailand, because I like staying here and traveling around

-I study for a UK distance learning course so I'm location independent (can't get ED visa for this)

-I receive a steady income from abroad, however I'm not working in Thailand

-I don't want to get married and don't have time to study Thai either..

Yes, been discussed endlessly before.

However, it really is a different world to that I grew up in. The number of people fitting that category in my country when I was young would probably have been zero.

Regardless, the number of people with money ( that the Thais want- not talking about hippies, if they even exist anymore ) that fit that category would be very small, even now, so they probably don't even figure in the upper echelons of Thai officialdom.

What do you take immi for,idiots.They will ask at the border how you got METV in Laos without being a Laotion resident and no evidence of going to UK.There is also the matter of showing 200k baht in your bank for 6 months,and showing you have a job,in the UK.You are stuffed and sounding rather desperate.You are exactly the reason this visa was introduced,you are a rorter.

In the unlikely event they said anything, and assuming one did not use Hong Kong, which (with no entry-stamp given) would eliminate any way for the IO to make this assumption ...

I would reply, very politely, that there is no requirement I go to (insert home-county) in the rules, and that the consulate in my home-country (not Laos) verified I met the needed requirements to obtain the visa presented, and issued it. Yes, the applicant will need the 200K plus evidence they own their own business or are a full-time student (distance-learning counts), etc.

Why would obeying the laws and rules, and presenting all required documents, make anyone a "rorter"?? This seems to be an attitude based on reading something into the METV rules which simply are not there. If anyone here is not satifisfied with the new rules, they should address their complaints to the relevant authorities, rather than name-call people finding ways to meet the requriements, legally. OTOH, if some law or rule is being violated, please quote the relevant portion, so we do not make an error.

• Like 1

Yes. I'm trying to say that if EU citizens turn up in Britain, IF they are banned from collecting any social security, if they are banned from NHS services and public housing, they don't want to work, they do have some money, and they simply want to live in Britain, well surely, Britain will/does benefit from these people ? And from that, when foreigners turn up in Thailand, they are in the same situation as mentioned just now, they will also benefit Thailand ?

It's only the first 3 months that they cannot claim benefits, but can access NHS straight away. I think you will find a lot of British people don't like foreigners, but the UK government likes to play the pc card and says they benefit the economy, in fact it's the reverse of Thailand 555

They do benefit the economy, it's not just something they say: do a little research on the subject.

Any country that doesn't realise attracting young immigrants is the only practical solution to a rapidly ageing population will find out the truth sooner or later, probably too late for them to do anything about it though. As far as I recall, Thailand's population is quite old by Asian standards so they ought to be encouraging immigration if they want to remain economically viable as a country in the long term.

We're getting away from the point here. IF foreigners turn up in Britain, IF they are banned from collecting any social security, IF they are not allowed NHS or public housing, and they have money. They just want to live in Britain, they don't want to work, well, surely, these people do benefit Britain ?

And if foreigners turn up in Thailand, they are in the same situation, they've got money, they don't want to work, they're not going to get government health-care in Thailand, they're not being subsidised in any way, surely, they are benefitting Thailand ?

EU nationals are entitled to live in the UK, or anywhere else the EU laws permit.

Try turning up and squatting as a non-EU person...

Perhaps one day the ASEAN region will offer the same entitlement to it's citizens - how will that affect EU citizens?

When that happens should ASEAN nationals start demanding the same right in the EU...

You are looking for tortuous explanations, when reality is much simpler -and unfortunately much uglier-

They used to want us -long staying farangs- as well as Chinese. Now with 7.8 Millions of Chinese tourists per year, they can afford to get rid of us.

It is simple as that.

Thai people opinion has been switched regarding foreigners: They used to worship us as semi-deities, they now held us responsible for all the problems this country has. Getting rid of most foreigners here, is a very popular opinion among the majority of Thais.

You only have to read the haters comments here to get an idea - a pale idea- of what the locals think of us....Where do you think they get it from?

One of the daftest posts I've read in a long time. Semi - deities?

I have numerous accounts of being treated like deity, did not particularly liked it but that's how it was 15 years ago. Now it's the opposite

When I arrived in Thailand in 2000, I was not allowed to queue. Anywhere.

Every time I would go and join a queue at a BTS, a bank, a food stall, any shop, people will always make a fuss that as a foreign guest I should never queue. I found it quite embarrassing actually and tried to refuse to be jumping queues but people insisted.

Whenever I was fumbling my pockets looking for coins to put on the BTS machine, some Thai person would come along and give me their change.

On many occasions i was given the best seats everywhere I would go,sometimes dislodging old grannies, it was sooo embarrassing.

You are seriously delusional - check the dosage of your meds - there seems to be a problem.

The number of tourist arrivals in 2000 was 10 million... LINK

Yes there were 10 millions of us and we were treated like royals, but it was another decade another political system. I know it's hard to believe now but that's how it was.

A/ Since 2000 the numbers of tourists have been multiplied by 3 and B/ Politically the country has changed enormously

In 2003 you could get one year visa by just having a girl friend here, that's how much it changed...

• Like 1

You are seriously delusional - check the dosage of your meds - there seems to be a problem.

Yes there were 10 millions of us and we were treated like royals, but it was another decade another political system. I know it's hard to believe now but that's how it was.

A/ Since 2000 the numbers of tourists have been multiplied by 3 and B/ Politically the country has changed enormously

In 2003 you could get one year visa by just having a girl friend here, that's how much it changed...

Funny how different it was when I arrived a year later - there must have been a sea-change in the politics, as from the moment I walked out the airport I was met by the usual sullen rip-off artists fighting for my business.

Taxi fares (and attitude) were ridiculous then and still are today. Rip-off artists were everywhere, it was the least law-abiding country I had ever been to. (I am from Africa, so take a moment to reflect...) Everywhere I went I could feel there was arrogance and animosity behind the 'Thai smile' - just as there is today.

Are you sure this was Thailand, or do people just worship you wherever you go? Must be nice to be a deity - in your own mind laugh.png Mommy tell you, you are special?

Funny how different it was when I arrived a year later - there must have been a sea-change in the politics, as from the moment I walked out the airport I was met by the usual sullen rip-off artists fighting for my business.

Taxi fares (and attitude) were ridiculous then and still are today. Rip-off artists were everywhere, it was the least law-abiding country I had ever been to. (I am from Africa, so take a moment to reflect...) Everywhere I went I could feel there was arrogance and animosity behind the 'Thai smile' - just as there is today.

Are you sure this was Thailand, or do people just worship you wherever you go? Must be nice to be a deity - in your own mind laugh.png Mommy tell you, you are special?

well you certainly have had some bad luck. I been comin for decades without any such sad experiences. are you being polite? bathe regularly? tip well?

One of the daftest posts I've read in a long time. Semi - deities?

I have numerous accounts of being treated like deity, did not particularly liked it but that's how it was 15 years ago. Now it's the opposite

Every time I would go and join a queue at a BTS, a bank, a food stall, any shop, people will always make a fuss that as a foreign guest I should never queue. I found it quite embarrassing actually and tried to refuse to be jumping queues but people insisted.

Whenever I was fumbling my pockets looking for coins to put on the BTS machine, some Thai person would come along and give me their change.

On many occasions i was given the best seats everywhere I would go,sometimes dislodging old grannies, it was sooo embarrassing.

I know it's hard to believe now but that's how it was.

Unfortunately for you, not everyone on here arrived in Thailand yesterday. I was in LOS twice as long ago, and more, than that and it wasn't like that at all. Perhaps in a different country you thought was Thailand.

However, when I first came, people really did smile, and the developers hadn't raped every nice beach in hopes of making lots of money.

Airport taxi fares are rediculous? You come from Africa so may be so. Had to pay 10,000 baht for a taxi from Heathrow to home a couple of years ago and he discounted it a lot.

I am not trying to brag, it was like that then, I did not like it no more than the bad attitude I get now.

Sorry to say but black people have always had it rougher than anyone in the LOS, it's not new, not saying it's ok, just saying it's no surprise .

As an "aryan" young female although I hate the term, I was treated better than most, and especially black people, its horrible but thats the way here.

Taxi fares from airport ridiculous???? I never paid more than 300 ( plus tip if they were good drivers ), and unless you arrive after midnight there are cheap public transport options available.

Airport taxi fares are rediculous? You come from Africa so may be so. Had to pay 10,000 baht for a taxi from Heathrow to home a couple of years ago and he discounted it a lot.

Yes, that is true. I also recall that all the taxis at Schipol were Mercedes last time I was there and it cost 150 Euros to get to Utrecht... In Baht that is seriously expensive but not so much to EU nationals...

Bangkok taxi fares are not outrageous but are not dirt cheap as visitors like to think:- don't compare pricing by converting to another currency - rather compare against the average wage the locals have to survive on:

A good estimate in Bangkok is 10,000 THB per month for a menial office job. In Holland a worker can be expected to earn say 5,000 Euros for a similar office job? Compare taxi fare BKK to Pattaya 1000 baht trip, on a 10k salary (10%) vs 150 Euro trip on a 5k salary (3%). Taxis in BKK are 3-4 times more expensive - to locals.

It is precisely because of such disparities between western currencies and the Thai baht that so many want to live here and earn USD/EUR/GBP. Add to that the benefit of not paying tax and the true allure is obvious.

Nothing at all to do with professed love for Thailand, Thai people, Thai culture.

• Like 1

I am not trying to brag, it was like that then, I did not like it no more than the bad attitude I get now.

Sorry to say but black people have always had it rougher than anyone in the LOS, it's not new, not saying it's ok, just saying it's no surprise .

As an "aryan" young female although I hate the term, I was treated better than most, and especially black people, its horrible but thats the way here.

So these days it's awfull but you want to stay here?

Kitsune wrote

look! just face the facts. you stink! Edited by FAAAT Geeza
  • Like 2

There is no getting around the fact

The financial loss for Thailand on losing the long stay tourists will be massively outweighed by the surge in Chinese replacements.

• Chinese tourist for 2015 expects a record 7.45 million (up 62 percent on 2014) and Thailand is current their top overseas destination. Tactically Thailand has seen the opportunity and introduced a three-month visa fee exemption August 2014 and as a result the market has grown faster than predicted.

While the headline numbers look good - The actual impact on Thailand has been a lot less profitable.

The Chinese phenomenon also introduced a disproportionate increase in packaged travel products that contain flight, transport, hotel, excursions and entertainments. As a result its now the China tour operators that are increasingly taking more of profit on the growing Thailand tourist revenues. China is buying more bulk wholesale products from Thailand than any other country, but leaving less profit for Thailand businesses than most other countries. In short the China phenomenon in Tourism might end up being more profitable for China than Thailand and could end up more dependent on a single supply that uses its power to squeeze increasing profits out supply while at the same time leaving many small traditional Thai businesses no access to these markets.

This myopia for China tourists should maybe be more guarded since China history shows an exceptional talent of getting into value driven markets fast, but also with equal agility extracting themselves just as fast when needed. Since the China economy is currently in a rapid slowdown then anything could happen in the next 12 months to make a hard landing in tourism figures out of China end faster than they actually started.

Its a Change that will continue

There is no question that the new visa rules will better streamline the processing of this kind packaged tourist since they are able to capture revenues more efficiently as foreigners pass through 'The Thailand experience'.

But Thailand also has decided that the old ways of tourism must change at the same time. Seems now there is no longer room for a legacy tourist who started out on this Thailand experience with little more than a rucksack, a desire for exploring and a shinny passport with the now rare Thailand Visa. But then this tourist stayed not because of lack of choice, but because of a feeling of being at home in a foreign place and developing a deeper connection to Thailand in the process.

​Its undeniable that the economics of the new Visa rules decision will create opportunity for a more effective deployment of resources within tourist management since these resources can be more accurately aimed in this streamlined system. But with the turbulence in the China markets this future might just become something that is short lived and in the process leave a deeper scar of losing those foreigners that were not just passing through, but stayed because they had a much more sustainable commitment to contributing more.

• Like 1

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

So now I am black because I am from Africa? What a leap...

Okay, my turn - you are not from the UK as your English is atrocious? Are you French by any chance?

I married an exceptional Thai woman 10 years ago and live very happily embedded in Thai working class community, respected by the people who know me. I have no false illusions about Thai people and the way they feel towards arrogant, self-obsessed foreigners who feel entitled to whatever they want in life as their privileged upbringing meant they never understood the meaning of no. People who throw around money and joke about how cheap it is but did not have to earn it in a truly competitive environment. People who cannot be differentiated from criminal types, unwanted (or maybe very wanted) in their own country.

So, don't care how long you have been here but I doubt there is much 'Thainess' in your lifestyle.

But - I just noticed the 'young female' in your post. That changes things only in that I am now more convinced you are delusional - if there is one thing that has not changed in 200 years here it is the male attitude towards women. Throughout Asia men are pigs toward women (okay, only 90%) so I doubt all your experiences have been so pure and spiritual. whistling.gif

As I said, being treated overly nice or overly bad is all the same.

It shows we don't belong here and never will be treated as equal, which, for me, does not make any sense anyway.

So like everything here you take it with a pinch of salt.

It shows we don't belong here and never will be treated as equal, which, for me, does not make any sense anyway.

I live here and just consider it a nice country. Treated this way or that is normal anywhere isn't it?

• Like 1

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

So now I am black because I am from Africa? What a leap...

Okay, my turn - you are not from the UK as your English is atrocious? Are you French by any chance?

I married an exceptional Thai woman 10 years ago and live very happily embedded in Thai working class community, respected by the people who know me. I have no false illusions about Thai people and the way they feel towards arrogant, self-obsessed foreigners who feel entitled to whatever they want in life as their privileged upbringing meant they never understood the meaning of no. People who throw around money and joke about how cheap it is but did not have to earn it in a truly competitive environment. People who cannot be differentiated from criminal types, unwanted (or maybe very wanted) in their own country.

So, don't care how long you have been here but I doubt there is much 'Thainess' in your lifestyle.

But - I just noticed the 'young female' in your post. That changes things only in that I am now more convinced you are delusional - if there is one thing that has not changed in 200 years here it is the male attitude towards women. Throughout Asia men are pigs toward women (okay, only 90%) so I doubt all your experiences have been so pure and spiritual. whistling.gif

Thank you for calling my English atrocious this is one of the clauses of forum rules, not to comment on peoples English, so I advise you to take it directly to moderation

If you must know I never had any sexual encounter with a Thai person male or female, so no, nothing to do with that.

Most people who were overly nice to me were actually women.

I am not sure what is Thainess... may be, I have not got any, but what does it have to do with people treating me good then bad? I doubt that I had Thainess before...

• Like 1

I live here and just consider it a nice country. Treated this way or that is normal anywhere isn't it?

I am only noticing the huge shift towards foreigners in this country, which is understandably reflected in visas regulations.

Regulations dont come out of the blue.

It is precisely because of such disparities between western currencies and the Thai baht that so many want to live here and earn USD/EUR/GBP. Add to that the benefit of not paying tax and the true allure is obvious.

Nothing at all to do with professed love for Thailand, Thai people, Thai culture.

Yes on the first part, but I disagree on the second. If not for my love of Thailand, I would simply buy a 1-year visa in Cambodia, or stay in the Philippines 14 months at a time. That was true 3 years ago, and more so today. I knew the rules were a pain to stay in Thailand under 50, before I ever set foot here. I "discovered" Thailand while traveling from Malaysia to Cambodia, passing through on 15-day Visa Exempts (pre G7-30s). Only then, I began exploring options to stay here for longer periods.

I cannot imagine why anyone would choose to stay in Thailand, if only doing it for the purchasing-power.

I suspect you are dark skinned. Unfortunately, the Thais have always had a racist streak, with dark skinned individuals being looked down on.

As far as caucasians are concerned, there is a big difference in attitude depending on where they encounter Thais. The attitude in places like Pattaya, Kaosan Road, and other tourist ghettos has been pretty negative for as long as I can remember (though they respond a bit better if you are polite and speak Thai). They suffer from tourist fatigue, and tend to remember their worst experiences of rude, unkempt foreigners. Thais who rarely encounter white skinned foreigners, even today and much more so in the past, treat them a bit like movie stars. They are eager to help you, and very curious about the extent to which you measure up to what they have seen in movies.

But you were special enough to be treated as a deity... What part of condescension do you not understand?

People treating you good (sic) is just good manners and yes, it is pretty common to come across well mannered people in Thailand. To consider they worship you and treat you akin to one of their many, many goddesses is stretching things to beyond believable, especially when you talk about the year 2000 onwards biggrin.png I'm surprised some of the Nam guys haven't waded in here to tell you that westerners started destroying Thai culture in the 1970's and by the 2000's I am pretty sure the sight of a young western woman was hardly something to be noticed...

Come on, I don't want to fight with you, be honest - your beautiful memories have more to do with the availability of weed in those days than how special you really were. tongue.png

I am only noticing the huge shift towards foreigners in this country, which is understandably reflected in visas regulations.

Regulations dont come out of the blue.

Sorry but I have been here a shade longer than you, yes things change, still very nice. Who exactly treats you badly now?

But you were special enough to be treated as a deity... What part of condescension do you not understand?

People treating you good (sic) is just good manners and yes, it is pretty common to come across well mannered people in Thailand. To consider they worship you and treat you akin to one of their many, many goddesses is stretching things to beyond believable, especially when you talk about the year 2000 onwards biggrin.png I'm surprised some of the Nam guys haven't waded in here to tell you that westerners started destroying Thai culture in the 1970's and by the 2000's I am pretty sure the sight of a young western woman was hardly something to be noticed...

Come on, I don't want to fight with you, be honest - your beautiful memories have more to do with the availability of weed in those days than how special you really were. tongue.png

Just to get that out of the way : I never used drugs in this country EVER.

Not one joint, not even a puff of a joint, not one space cake, nothing.

I understand that you find it hard to believe, that people used to treat us so differently, I too never thought it was "real" back then and knew it could go the opposite one day, but I did not think it would happened so fast.

Especially with what's happening today, it's all the more weird to me as well, but really Im not making this up.

• Like 2

Those looking to get METV visas by posting the passport to framily in the UK should consider the meaning of statements like the following:

Visa Application by post (Applicants must reside permanently in the UK)

Source: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

No doubt some will convince themselves that this does not apply to UK nationals, but I once inquired and was told yes, it does mean you must be in country.

Flying to Hong Kong and sending the passport to family in the UK for them to make a postal application on your behalf may well work. However, it is against the rules and an alert immigration official may notice that you are flying in from Hong Kong and wonder if you are trying to pull a fast one.

• Like 1

Sorry but I have been here a shade longer than you, yes things change, still very nice. Who exactly treats you badly now?

One striking example is queues: You might not believe it, but I never used to queue ever, as I said people used to insist and double insist on letting me go first on any line (BTS, shops, supermarkets, etc ), as said previously I found it very embarrassing and was always trying to tell them I wanted queue like everyone else. I was on bloody holidays, these people were probably working.

Now it''s the opposite lol! Number of times, I had people going right in front of me at Tops or BigC and the cashier serving them before me as if it was "normal'

I suspect you are dark skinned. Unfortunately, the Thais have always had a racist streak, with dark skinned individuals being looked down on.

As far as caucasians are concerned, there is a big difference in attitude depending on where they encounter Thais. The attitude in places like Pattaya, Kaosan Road, and other tourist ghettos has been pretty negative for as long as I can remember (though they respond a bit better if you are polite and speak Thai). They suffer from tourist fatigue, and tend to remember their worst experiences of rude, unkempt foreigners. Thais who rarely encounter white skinned foreigners, even today and much more so in the past, treat them a bit like movie stars. They are eager to help you, and very curious about the extent to which you measure up to what they have seen in movies.

i am a dark skinned unkempt individual caucasian speak minimal Thai. when i walk up the street, unknown to me thais, will call out to me in a welcoming/greeting manner (no not referring to taxi/tuktuk/moto characters just ordinary everyday thais). this happens virtually everywhere i go in thailand. sure there are the detractors too and they seem to be getting more frequent as has been noted but still overwhelmingly positive. so look more at yourself to find the answerers if you are getting a bad reception.