METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Its funny that many blame the long stayers for somehow "abusing" a system that was completely legal.

This is a very convenient way for them to flush out the Invisible overstayers, who are more likely to be involved in crime and working illegally.

At the same time they can shut the gate on English teachers, without having the blame fall on the schools and agencies that more or less forced the foriegners to work on DE tourist visa...cos "everyone does it"

These agencies, and also these thai english/summercamp people exploiting foriegners for slave wages..

no sympathy. Hope they die a slow financial death

• Like 1

Do i miss something...arn't Laotians allowed to enter Thailand on a ASEAN agreed 30 day entry free of charge with the new restrictions of 90 days per year.......?

It's late so forgive my ignorence.

Hold on a minute. You need to show a letter of employment ? Some people don't actually work, but do actually have over 200,000 baht (4,000 pounds) in their bank account. Then what ?

That's the point, isn't it? Make the visa unobtainable, or not worth the effort so for many people, while doing away with double and triple-entry tourist visas...

This is a move to shape the tourist profile, based on bigotry, xenophobia, and greed. No pretense that it will benefit Thai people, who will feel the pinch in empty rentals, empty shops and restaurants that are fed by long-term tourists, who have been abiding by existing law, i.e. obtaining legal double and triple-entry tourist visas.

Also note that no end of nasty self-righteous posts are apparently allowed here, even supported, by people who have their long-term situation sorted, to include people in the employ of this board.

They're mostly the same ones who complain about sidewalk vendors, sexpats, and how Thailand needs more laws and to become more like their own benighted countries.

The junta will eventually get around to them, too...twist a pig's ear, watch him squeal...

Are you predicting a downturn in the Thai tourist market as a direct result of the METV being introduced?

Hold on a minute. You need to show a letter of employment ? Some people don't actually work, but do actually have over 200,000 baht (4,000 pounds) in their bank account. Then what ?

That's the point, isn't it? Make the visa unobtainable, or not worth the effort so for many people, while doing away with double and triple-entry tourist visas...

This is a move to shape the tourist profile, based on bigotry, xenophobia, and greed. No pretense that it will benefit Thai people, who will feel the pinch in empty rentals, empty shops and restaurants that are fed by long-term tourists, who have been abiding by existing law, i.e. obtaining legal double and triple-entry tourist visas.

Also note that no end of nasty self-righteous posts are apparently allowed here, even supported, by people who have their long-term situation sorted, to include people in the employ of this board.

They're mostly the same ones who complain about sidewalk vendors, sexpats, and how Thailand needs more laws and to become more like their own benighted countries.

The junta will eventually get around to them, too...twist a pig's ear, watch him squeal...

Are you predicting a downturn in the Thai tourist market as a direct result of the METV being introduced?

I don't think the administration is too bothered about losing a few thousand farang, especially when you have a multitude of Chinese tourists on package tours. Nice package tours, malls, cultural places, hotels and no beer bars, go go bars or giving money to poor Isaan girls/families.

One last hope for Vietnam & Indonesia, but not holding breath...

The Thai Embassy in Washington, USA already has a similar worded announcment.

I would say that this is world-wide.

the Thai Embassys in Britain allow for Postal Applications (if sent to a british address) friend or parents.

maybe a possibility to send passport to the UK,,, get your family or friends to re-post the passport application to the consulate and get visa.

then send passport (DHL) back to you in Thailand with the appropriate visa.

then you do a visa run to Poipet and ACTIVATE this visa..

will my idea work ? can you see any flaw in my idea ?

apart from not having your passport on you for a few weeks, not really a big deal.

and DHL or UPS will make sure passport is safe in transit.

seriously, will my idea work? (if you are british).

maybe USA and other countries also have local visa applications by post.

What about your job and your 200k in your bank.Nice try.

in England, not everyone is employed by a company. there are plenty of self-employed people or freelance workers.

So I will assume that a letter from my own headed paper, or other proof of work would suffice.. (otherwise only company workers would ever be able to get this visa, and company owners and self employed and freelance workers cant get this visa!)

So I am sure it will not be an issue.

also: 200k Baht in the bank ?? how is that an issue ? its about 4,000 Pounds.

but the MAIN issues were pointed out already to me by others:

Namely: the Consulate in the UK will see that the Thai Visa Stamp in the passport is still active. and the passport holder was not stamped out of thailand.

so, to get around this, one must EXIT thailand and then do my Above steps (from outside of thailand).

maybe a few weeks holiday in laos or Cambodia or somewhere...

then you are officially 'out of thailand' and no active visa, and can do my above plan.

and breaks no law as one does not need to apply in person.

Maybe the key is, try some of the other countries in Southeast Asia for 1 or 2 months each time and repeat the cycle, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Mynamar, Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines, Singapore, China, South Korea, plenty of places to come and go from. Thailand is not everything.

• Like 1

As posted before, visa runs are finished. If you are wanting to stay in Thailand for an extended period then get the correct visa for which your purpose of stay correlates to.

Apply for a tourist visa from your home Thailand consulate. The visa run days of back to back are history. Get the correct visa.

So what about when you really are just a long term tourist in Thailand? I mean it's been discussed to death, but there is no "correct visa" available for a young person who receives an income from abroad or online and wishes to stay in Thailand.

Lets take my situation for example, what would be the "correct visa"?

-I live in Thailand, because I like staying here and traveling around

-I study for a UK distance learning course so I'm location independent (can't get ED visa for this)

-I receive a steady income from abroad, however I'm not working in Thailand

-I don't want to get married and don't have time to study Thai either..

why would you expect a country to allow young people from anywhere else in the world who happen to be financially independent to just go and live there just because they feel like it? does your home country allow that?

How very true, Thai's can't just move to the UK because they want to, there is a visa process to go through. Maybe the days of turning up and living in Thailand are over. Time moves on, you have to move with the time...

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1

So, the only loophole available for 3-week-on/3-week-off oil workers is now entry visa exempt through airports. This is tough for Thailand to prevent as the requirements for air tickets and money is satisfied. Having a limit of 90 days per year (as at land borders) is not really practicable. All they could do, perhaps, is have a red stamp on exit like "no visa exempt entry allowed until ...." that airlines had to look for. Otherwise, the xenophobes are winning.

I have several friends working on the oil industry and always come and go on visa exempt which never had an issue. Also most of my friends typically work more than 3 weeks on 3 weeks off, it's more like 4-5 weeks on off, the 90 day rule I believe was dropped many many years ago.

So, the only loophole available for 3-week-on/3-week-off oil workers is now entry visa exempt through airports. This is tough for Thailand to prevent as the requirements for air tickets and money is satisfied. Having a limit of 90 days per year (as at land borders) is not really practicable. All they could do, perhaps, is have a red stamp on exit like "no visa exempt entry allowed until ...." that airlines had to look for. Otherwise, the xenophobes are winning.

I have several friends working on the oil industry and always come and go on visa exempt which never had an issue. Also most of my friends typically work more than 3 weeks on 3 weeks off, it's more like 4-5 weeks on off, the 90 day rule I believe was dropped many many years ago.

I have a friend who works in the O&G industry.

He is married to a Thai lady. He always uses VE entries and never stays more than 28 days,

My friend has never had a problem but if challenged he can prove

1. He is not working in Thailand.

And

2. He has adequate financial resource both in cash and within a Thai bank.

He will continue to use VE entry's.

As posted before, visa runs are finished. If you are wanting to stay in Thailand for an extended period then get the correct visa for which your purpose of stay correlates to.

Apply for a tourist visa from your home Thailand consulate. The visa run days of back to back are history. Get the correct visa.

So what about when you really are just a long term tourist in Thailand? I mean it's been discussed to death, but there is no "correct visa" available for a young person who receives an income from abroad or online and wishes to stay in Thailand.

-I study for a UK distance learning course so I'm location independent (can't get ED visa for this)

why would you expect a country to allow young people from anywhere else in the world who happen to be financially independent to just go and live there just because they feel like it? does your home country allow that?

I think people are just wishing that Thailand was coming into a modern age, instead of rejecting it in xenophobia. Living forever somewhere no questions asked - of course not. But options available for decent people, why not? It's good for the economy, and all of it. In fact, for years and years, Thailand did do exactly that, and I think the economy benefitted greatly.

And somewhat similarly, I just entered UK with 6 months granted - I didn't have to prove (beyond answering some questions) that I wasn't working, or show my bank account to someone. I didn't have to register an address, or report somewhere repeatedly. I can also enter anywhere in EU for 3 months at a time - essentially only answering a few questions - and after 3 months out, can return again for another 3 months. And, if I had my ducks in a row, could apply in EU for a self-employment visa and stay for extended times. Why can't Thailand have a self-employment visa, for regular people who still aren't massively wealthy? Again, it would be good for the economy.

Please provide detail about the EU "self employment visa"....................

Maybe you have a link you can share ?

• Like 1

I think people are just wishing that Thailand was coming into a modern age, instead of rejecting it in xenophobia. Living forever somewhere no questions asked - of course not. But options available for decent people, why not? It's good for the economy, and all of it. In fact, for years and years, Thailand did do exactly that, and I think the economy benefitted greatly.

And somewhat similarly, I just entered UK with 6 months granted - I didn't have to prove (beyond answering some questions) that I wasn't working, or show my bank account to someone. I didn't have to register an address, or report somewhere repeatedly. I can also enter anywhere in EU for 3 months at a time - essentially only answering a few questions - and after 3 months out, can return again for another 3 months. And, if I had my ducks in a row, could apply in EU for a self-employment visa and stay for extended times. Why can't Thailand have a self-employment visa, for regular people who still aren't massively wealthy? Again, it would be good for the economy.

does america allow that? canada? mexico? costa rica? brazil? argentina? of course not. and besides, this guy isnt self employed in thailand, he wants to just LIVE there for as long as he chooses. does the UK allow that?

• Like 1

Would anyone have have expected the METV to look like this when they first announced they were considering a 6 month multi entry tourist visa? I fear the rest of us are next on the Thai hit list.

Yeah to think everyone was rejoicing to the coming of METV... where are they now?

signing up to study Thai with McWalen. biggrin.png

Walen gets you 1 month extension at Bkk immi

Surely immigration will notice if more people start applying for ED visas from tourist visas, then crackdown on ED visas again or is that being logical?

They already made everyone go from ED visa to TRvisa, now they are pulling the rug under our feet, so they are very aware.

Its funny that many blame the long stayers for somehow "abusing" a system that was completely legal.

This is a very convenient way for them to flush out the Invisible overstayers, who are more likely to be involved in crime and working illegally.

At the same time they can shut the gate on English teachers, without having the blame fall on the schools and agencies that more or less forced the foriegners to work on DE tourist visa...cos "everyone does it"

These agencies, and also these thai english/summercamp people exploiting foriegners for slave wages..

no sympathy. Hope they die a slow financial death

I agree with most of your post, except this:

I think the abolition of double/triple entry tourist visas, without replacing them with anything easy to comply with, will deter overstayers from becoming legal. Indeed, if they intend to introduce increased penalties for overstays, the timing is stupid. An announcement that increased penalties to be introduced in 45 days, without removing easy ways to become legal, would have persuaded quite a few to terminate their overstays. Removal of double/triple entry tourist visas and the realization that visa exempt entries are not a practical option will induce most chronic overstayers to stay put and hope for the best (in spite of serious repercussions if they are caughtt).

Further, although a quite a few overstayers are working illegaly, especially as teachers, I do not think many are involved in crime. A random sample of Nana Plaza revellers would probably net more criminals than a random sample of overstayers.

I have a friend who works in the O&G industry.

He is married to a Thai lady. He always uses VE entries and never stays more than 28 days,

My friend has never had a problem but if challenged he can prove

1. He is not working in Thailand.

And

2. He has adequate financial resource both in cash and within a Thai bank.

He will continue to use VE entry's.

You may be correct. However, I think the main reason visa exempt entries are not formally restricted when entering through airports is the practical difficulty involved. They would need a system that can easily be verified by airlines before allowing boarding. Perhaps, at some point, they will introduce a stamp on exit from Thailand stating visa exempt entry will not be permitted until a specified date. This could reasonably be checked for by airlines.

Edited by BritTim

the Thai Embassys in Britain allow for Postal Applications (if sent to a british address) friend or parents.

maybe a possibility to send passport to the UK,,, get your family or friends to re-post the passport application to the consulate and get visa.

apart from not having your passport on you for a few weeks, not really a big deal.

• Do you think the fact that it has to be sent to a British address might be a clue why you are not supposed to do what you suggest.
  • And what happens when the person issuing the METV notices that you're stamped in to Thailand?
  • And what happens when you enter Thailand and the IO notices that the visa was issued in the UK when you were in Thailand?
  • And what happens if you're stopped and asked to produce your passport during it's trip to and from the UK?

You must be resident and present in the country to qualify.

Anyone doing this would be bonkers!

- what happens when the person issuing the METV notices that you're stamped in to Thailand?

Ok, so i (or anyone) can EXIT Thailand and take a 2 week trip in Lao or another country, thus having an EXIT STAMP and apply from Lao (or other country) by Post.

- what happens when you enter Thailand and the IO notices that the visa was issued in the UK when you were in Thailand?

see above answer.

- what happens if you're stopped and asked to produce your passport during it's trip to and from the UK?

What happens when youre stopped and need to produce a passport when you are in the midst of applying for a new passport, or have a lost passport? besides, almost all police accept photo ID, (Driving license) this has Never been an issue for me in thailand for more than 10 years.

anyway. because of the EXIT STAMP issue, it is all SOLVED by applying from a near-by country, Thus exiting thailand and all your points are now answered due to the fact that i can do this from ABROAD. (without having to go to England).

- the fact that it has to be sent to a British address might be a clue why you are not supposed to do what you suggest.

Nonsense. applying by post does not ask that you are in the country. they just assume you are, but not request it.

a british address is because it is a DOMESTIC consulate. it does not have legal right to issue any visas to another country where there is already another consulate.

UK consulates are for UK applications.

and a UK application is satisfied with a UK address.

does america allow that? canada? mexico? costa rica? brazil? argentina? of course not. and besides, this guy isnt self employed in thailand, he wants to just LIVE there for as long as he chooses. does the UK allow that?

" he wants to just LIVE there for as long as he chooses. does the UK allow that? "

but they already allow this with people over 50 by just having a sum of money in the bank?blink.png

What difference does it make if it's a younger person as long as they can prove they have the financial means to support themselves adequately?

• Like 1

" he wants to just LIVE there for as long as he chooses. does the UK allow that? "

but they already allow this with people over 50 by just having a sum of money in the bank?blink.png

What difference does it make if it's a younger person as long as they can prove they have the financial means to support themselves adequately?

The difference is that they stay.

Why have farangs staying all year round and exacerbating xenophobia,when you can have a constant renewal of 2 week holidays Chinese spending 3 or 4 times what a farang would spend living here?

You're right, my home country does not allow this. But in Thailand's case, a vast number of these foreigners want to be here, they are here, and they spend a fair amount of money. Each one of them might not spend a lot, but it all adds up, the total amount of Thai baht that flows into Thailand from these foreigners (we're talking about the ones who are under 50, don't want to work, don't want to get married, etc) is surely, considerable ?

If the new rules get implemented, I think it will force a fair amount of people to leave Thailand, and the money goes as well. I've noticed a number of foreigners who are English language teachers, who are being told that their qualifications are simply not good enough to qualify for a work permit/visa, and they will have to go as well. Is Thailand doing itself a favour by carrying out these policies ?

By all means, target the foreigners who are "trouble makers" and remove them, but why target the others (the vast majority of us foreigners inThailand are not actually "trouble makers") and remove them as well ?

One more note, if lots of people from Germany and France want to simply live in the UK, they don't wish to work, (and let's say they can't claim social security), they just want to live there and spend their money. Well, surely, this benefits the UK ? Why remove these people ?

• Do you think the fact that it has to be sent to a British address might be a clue why you are not supposed to do what you suggest.
  • And what happens when the person issuing the METV notices that you're stamped in to Thailand?
  • And what happens when you enter Thailand and the IO notices that the visa was issued in the UK when you were in Thailand?
  • And what happens if you're stopped and asked to produce your passport during it's trip to and from the UK?

You must be resident and present in the country to qualify.

Anyone doing this would be bonkers!

- what happens when the person issuing the METV notices that you're stamped in to Thailand?

Ok, so i (or anyone) can EXIT Thailand and take a 2 week trip in Lao or another country, thus having an EXIT STAMP and apply from Lao (or other country) by Post.

- what happens when you enter Thailand and the IO notices that the visa was issued in the UK when you were in Thailand?

see above answer.

- what happens if you're stopped and asked to produce your passport during it's trip to and from the UK?

What happens when youre stopped and need to produce a passport when you are in the midst of applying for a new passport, or have a lost passport? besides, almost all police accept photo ID, (Driving license) this has Never been an issue for me in thailand for more than 10 years.

anyway. because of the EXIT STAMP issue, it is all SOLVED by applying from a near-by country, Thus exiting thailand and all your points are now answered due to the fact that i can do this from ABROAD. (without having to go to England).

- the fact that it has to be sent to a British address might be a clue why you are not supposed to do what you suggest.

Nonsense. applying by post does not ask that you are in the country. they just assume you are, but not request it.

a british address is because it is a DOMESTIC consulate. it does not have legal right to issue any visas to another country where there is already another consulate.

UK consulates are for UK applications.

and a UK application is satisfied with a UK address.

a lost or stolen passport is reported to police and they give you a police report acknowledging that fact.