METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

what"s the problem ?????

the new METV replace the old 2/multiple entry visa, and what ?????

Sorry to point out there never was a "2/multiple entry visa" ............

The METV is the first multiple entry tourist visa ever to be offered !

okay , now you can apply for single entry visa (up to 3 months stay) or for the new metv (up to 6/8 months) ... is it not more simple ??????

So, the only loophole available for 3-week-on/3-week-off oil workers is now entry visa exempt through airports. This is tough for Thailand to prevent as the requirements for air tickets and money is satisfied. Having a limit of 90 days per year (as at land borders) is not really practicable. All they could do, perhaps, is have a red stamp on exit like "no visa exempt entry allowed until ...." that airlines had to look for. Otherwise, the xenophobes are winning.

The Thai authorities are not in the slightest bit worried about oil workers on month on/off and will continue to welcome them in.

Back to back Tourist visa runners working illegally in Thailand are going to get their azzes kicked.

I think they have done a great job with this. clap2.gif

what"s the problem ?????

okay , now you can apply for single entry visa (up to 3 months stay) or for the new metv (up to 6/8 months) ... is it not more simple ??????

Thai embassy website in the UK says, 3 months for SETV and 6 months for METV. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/76

what"s the problem ?????

Thai embassy website in the UK says, 3 months for SETV and 6 months for METV. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/76

okay ! where is the problem , sir ????? are you going to answer my question ?

what"s the problem ?????

okay ! i repeat my self :

- 1 month : visa exempt for lot of foreigncountries citizens

- 1 to 3 months : single entry visa

- up to 6/8 months : the new METV

what can be clearer and more simple than the 3 possibilities thailand offers to (real) tourists whistling.gif ????

(whatever the thai or western meaning of tourist)

i really think that lot of people here are making difficult...facepalm.gif it's everyones life coffee1.gif

what"s the problem ?????

okay ! i repeat my self :

- 1 month : visa exempt for lot of foreigncountries citizens

- 1 to 3 months : single entry visa

- up to 6/8 months : the new METV

what can be clearer and more simple than the 3 possibilities thailand offers to (real) tourists whistling.gif ????

(whatever the thai or western meaning of tourist)

i really think that lot of people here are making difficult...facepalm.gif it's everyones life coffee1.gif

it will be difficult for many depending on what country theyre from

And I will try again, a couple of single entry ones should be ok no?

Since they haven't stated anything about restricting the number of back to back applications, it should be fine yes.

So, in the future, you leave Thailand, go to Laos, and apply for the single entry tourist visa. You then come back into Thailand for sixty days. Extend that for 30 days, it will cost 1,900 baht. That's three months. You then take a bus trip to the Laos or Cambodian border (or Malaysia), and you then walk back into Thailand and get a 30 day stamp. That's four months. Once the four months is almost over, you then go back to Laos and get another single entry tourist visa, and do it all over again.

So, every year, go to the Thai embassy in Laos three times, and you've also got to go to the border three times (a border run) a year. Can this be done ? Can you have three single entry tourist visas in one year, and also three 30 day on entry stamps (VOA, visa on arrival) in the same year ?

I knew loads of guys who lived in Pattaya, they would go to Cambodia for a border run every 30 days, and they did this for years ! :)

The biggest problem group are those who have lived here many years and became complacent, since Education and tourist visas were seemingly open ended.

I would guess 8 times out of 10 you will hear these people say they never want to go home.

I know a fair few like that and i really feel for them. Some have dependents and wives, own condos or have forked out for houses.

The cruellest is even those married that could possibly have marriage visa but cannot, as they rely on pension and havent the funds to show for the visa.

If it looks like these people have to travel back to the UK or USA every 8 months, there is just no way that is practical.

I imagine there are possibly 1000s of all nationalities that have some gutwrenching decisions to make.

I fear many of the above will actually be forced to overstay and hope for the best.

It would be one thing if the rules were always this way, but to allow people to form a life like this and suddenly pull the rug out from them is disgusting in my opinion.

As it is, I am not effected by this personally as i have the freedom to come and go often these days but even so i am questioning whether i want to spend any time whatsover here

-Most will not be able to afford to do that year after year.

-Nearly all have no family/ contacts or place to stay back home

Just because people were staying here without the correct visa for their true reason of stay, does not mean the "rug has been pulled out", it just means that people will need to maybe plan financially and consider if they can afford to stay in Thailand with the correct visa/extension of stay.

• Like 2

And I will try again, a couple of single entry ones should be ok no?

Since they haven't stated anything about restricting the number of back to back applications, it should be fine yes.

So, in the future, you leave Thailand, go to Laos, and apply for the single entry tourist visa. You then come back into Thailand for sixty days. Extend that for 30 days, it will cost 1,900 baht. That's three months. You then take a bus trip to the Laos or Cambodian border (or Malaysia), and you then walk back into Thailand and get a 30 day stamp. That's four months. Once the four months is almost over, you then go back to Laos and get another single entry tourist visa, and do it all over again.

So, every year, go to the Thai embassy in Laos three times, and you've also got to go to the border three times (a border run) a year. Can this be done ? Can you have three single entry tourist visas in one year, and also three 30 day on entry stamps (VOA, visa on arrival) in the same year ?

I knew loads of guys who lived in Pattaya, they would go to Cambodia for a border run every 30 days, and they did this for years ! :)

I'm not sure how long that would last before you were red stamped.

I knew loads of guys who lived in Pattaya, they would go to Cambodia for a border run every 30 days, and they did this for years ! smile.png

We can't be sure yet until someone tries it.

30 day visa waivers - no official set limits, apart from not allowing exactly back to back 30 day visa-free stay anymore. But if they're spaced apart there's no set limit, you get grilled for proof of funds and advance flight bookings after around 6 in a year. Note that you can now extend them to 60 days, so add that to your first paragraph to make 5 months not 4.

The old double entry tourist visas - no official set limits, some places e.g. Penang set a limit of 3, Vientiane the friendliest set a limit of 3 - 4 ish unless you provided proof of residence in Thailand and proof of income, then you could get more. As discussed in this thread - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/715011-red-stamp-in-vientiane-advice-needed/ But most just went to a different consulate at that point to 'break the chain' and keep getting them. I know people on their 6th in a row with no issues. Some posters report staying over a decade on them, under previous governments.

Single entries up to now - haven't heard of anyone ever trying it because they went for doubles and triples instead

Single entries after these changes - hasn't been tried yet

New METVs back to back - hasn't been tried yet, and no limits announced yet

Maybe next week they'll announce something, or deliberately leave it ambiguous and on a case by case basis by person, nationality and consulate.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

Call me a conspiracy theory loonie but i have a very different theory on why this is happening and its all diplomatic.

Our own countries, for a long time have had a hard-on for their citizens being away long term. You can see evidence of this in the tax laws, the pension provision rules, how they cut you out of health care system, how they instruct banks to charge you extra tax and charges..and so on..

all because you have a nerve to choose a different life that involves less tax for them and money going out of the country.

I dont buy it. The Thais arent idiots and know this will cost them. Also Vientane and most of Lao will be ghost towns in 6 months without foriegners goung there

I firmly believe the pressure was put on the ASEAN committees, through diplomatic channels, (ie white faces in black suits) hat they had to unify their visa system to fit in with the rest of the worlds immigration policy.

They would have used the excuse of internatinal crime, people smuggling, drug syndicates laundering money, and all the rest of it, but the truth is they hate loosing taxpayers, western $ flooding into other currencies.

The last 10 - 15 years has seen unregulated freedom of travel and they certainly dont want to pass that example onto the next generation.

I don't think this is a "wild conspiracy" - not saying it "is true" either - but certainly within the realm of possibility. Historical precedents reveal back-channel negotiations, secret-treaties, etc - not revealed to the public for 30 to 50 years after the fact. In a negotiation of this sort, we would be relatively easy "concession pawns" to sacrifice.

Clearly the METV is not intended to be "actually used" by very many people, so we could speculate on whether it is the West, China, or both that would seek this - but no way to know for sure until someone tells the tales in 30-50 years - unless wiki-leaks gets handed something sooner.

Given the state of my country, I have a long list of "where to go next" nations as long as my arm, all of which would be my "next destination" before I would ever return to that nightmare. Cambodia is close and easy for now - maybe they will succomb to similar pressures - but I think not soon, as pushing English there (vs Chinese) seems to be a Western priority; just follow the "USAid" money. But if I have to go back to speaking Spanish - I will.

My country can have my cold dead body back in the end, if the sellouts who run the place want it. As the Klingons say, "Dispose of it as you wish - it is but an empty husk now."

i worked hard and saved one million USD. i've never had any of these problems you speak of....

just go back and make more money.....problem solved!!!

Glad you were successful, but not so fast with the assumptions. Depending on where one is 'from', and what one's skills are, going back could be a significant detriment to 'saving money'. Fact is, many young folks can, and do, save significantly more money working for companies in Australia, Canada, Europe, and the USA, while living in lower-overhead nations.

That scheme is how I put together my business, while living in Latin America with ultra-low overhead. Now I can afford to live in SE Asia, though I would need at least 2 Million USD in cash, before I would consider the Elite option.

• Like 1

okay ! where is the problem , sir ????? are you going to answer my question ?

Well you wrote 6/8 for METV, that is speculation that you can extend it.

There is no need to extend to reach an amount of days very close to 240 days. This is a multiple entry visa, so when the holder does a border run a day before his visa expires, that holder would still be stamped in for 60 days.

I personally see no reason why someone on a 60 day entry stamp would suddenly not be allowed to extend that stamp with another 30 days given close to 270 days usage out of the visa. 240 days or close is certain and not speculation.

• Like 1

I want a job as a METV officer in Vientiane !

Loads of time on Facebook ! biggrin.png

The consular staff in Vientiane will not be happy with this.

You kidding?

It's the official end of their nightmare,they used to be constantly swamped!

So if people have to go there twice as often (every three months rather than every six months) you think they will be less swamped?

yes because Vientiane's rule is already 3 TR visa max.

@Kitsune: 3 TR visa max issued by embassy in Vientiane, or 3 TR visas in passport from other embassies? I have two visas from Thai embassies in EU and now thinking to go to Vientiane for the first time in my life to apply for one single entry visa. The question is if it is good idea to go there, to obrain visa and not get any blue or red stamp in passport..

I realized already well covered in the previous zillion pages, however, what is of real interest now is how many back to back SETV can some people obtain. This is of serious interest to those that are not covered by the various non o etc.

In reality very few % wise will obtain the new METV. Even young folk taking a gap year etc seem to travel through various asian countries. Cant imagine the chineese and most other tourists taking the metv option. I was completely blindsided by them only being issued in own country. Many times i stated that they would probably be available in places like Vientiane. Was wrong. If i didnt have a non o , I would be anxiously awaiting any shift in attitude to runs surrounding setv. Currently no restriction on how many. Except for back to back at some consulates. Hope the younger folk dont have to look outside los.

• Like 1

What do you take immi for,idiots.They will ask at the border how you got METV in Laos without being a Laotion resident and no evidence of going to UK.There is also the matter of showing 200k baht in your bank for 6 months,and showing you have a job,in the UK.You are stuffed and sounding rather desperate.You are exactly the reason this visa was introduced,you are a rorter.

i am a 'Rorter' ? Lol (funny word) :)

so you suggest I just fly to England every 6 months to do a visa run ?

that would be insane and a waste of time and money.

as others have mentioned before already, there is nothing illegal in applying to my UK embassy by Post.

I still dont understand why you are going on about the 200k baht in my bank for a period of 6 months.

this is such a small amount.. its already in my bank.

i'm a self employed graphic designer with a UK English client base, which is paid into my UK bank account.

none of this is a problem for me.

you said that I sound desperate:

yes: i am desperate to find a better option than visa-runs to laos every 3 months.

if I can find a way to make the 6mth visa work, then its half the visa runs per year.

i highly doubt I am the reason the visa was introduced.

i only SPEND money in thailand, I have never made a penny here.

but yes, I will keep trying to find out the ins and outs of the above situation so that I can best determine how to do my future visas.

I am NOT prepared to marry someone here, so i am alone with my tourist visas and searching a better option.

• Like 1

I realized already well covered in the previous zillion pages, however, what is of real interest now is how many back to back SETV can some people obtain. This is of serious interest to those that are not covered by the various non o etc.

In reality very few % wise will obtain the new METV. Even young folk taking a gap year etc seem to travel through various asian countries. Cant imagine the chineese and most other tourists taking the metv option. I was completely blindsided by them only being issued in own country. Many times i stated that they would probably be available in places like Vientiane. Was wrong. If i didnt have a non o , I would be anxiously awaiting any shift in attitude to runs surrounding setv. Currently no restriction on how many. Except for back to back at some consulates. Hope the younger folk dont have to look outside los.

We will have to wait and see but IMO back to back SETV's will definitely be limited. Maybe not at all embassies/consulates but certainly at those neighbouring Thailand. Otherwise there would be little point in replacing double-entry and triple-entry tourist visas with the new METV.

Embassies/consulates already have the power to decide their own policy/limits so I doubt we'll see limits announced by the MFA.

Edited by Maestro
corrected terminology

What do you take immi for,idiots.They will ask at the border how you got METV in Laos without being a Laotion resident and no evidence of going to UK.There is also the matter of showing 200k baht in your bank for 6 months,and showing you have a job,in the UK.You are stuffed and sounding rather desperate.You are exactly the reason this visa was introduced,you are a rorter.

i am a 'Rorter' ? Lol (funny word) smile.png

so you suggest I just fly to England every 6 months to do a visa run ?

that would be insane and a waste of time and money.

as others have mentioned before already, there is nothing illegal in applying to my UK embassy by Post.

The fact that you do not reside permanently in the UK disqualifies you from applying by post.

What is being suggested may or may not be illegal, but it would be, at the very least, obtaining a visa dishonestly.

Elviajero, sadly i like your correct. Partly my thinking that some neighbouring countries would issue the metv to people not resident was that there seems very little point to have the metv without limits to number if back to back setv. Sadly this may hit hard the people not able to obtain other options to remain. I wonder how many may opt to just overstay. Many have developed relationships etc. Hope they can stay somehow.

Elviajero, sadly i like your correct. Partly my thinking that some neighbouring countries would issue the metv to people not resident was that there seems very little point to have the metv without limits to number if back to back setv. Sadly this may hit hard the people not able to obtain other options to remain. I wonder how many may opt to just overstay. Many have developed relationships etc. Hope they can stay somehow.

There are options for people to stay---legal options which involve working legally or studying and abiding by the terms of them Ed visa ect.

The fact that you do not reside permanently in the UK disqualifies you from applying by post.

What is being suggested may or may not be illegal, but it would be, at the very least, obtaining a visa dishonestly.

We aren't sure of that yet. It might be that their wording means that one needs to be a naturalised citizen with permanent residence status, if not a UK national (who already obviously have that status).

The logic being then bank statements and employment proof if asked for would be easily verified.

And/or their way of ensuring one has an address in the UK to return the passport to.

In which case what he's suggesting isn't dishonest.

I linked a webpage earlier to you saying UK nationals never lose their indefinite leave to remain (aka permanent residence) no matter how long they're out of the country:

http://www.visalogic.net/uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain/4/50

And here's another link that states 'To qualify as a UK or Irish resident, your country of permanent residence is where you are a UK or Irish citizen with a passport, a residential home address in the UK or Ireland and unrestricted right of entry back into this country once you depart. You may be currently at home, travelling or residing in another country at the time'

http://service.worldnomads.com/customer/portal/articles/1063080-what-is-my-country-of-residence-

Let's wait and see.

I have sympathy for those with families that will find it harder to stay legally, but we are already seeing an attempt to crack down on overstaying and i think that as time goes on it will become less of an option. Immigration are getting tougher with owners etc reporting foreigners and I can see immigration police getting more proactive in tracking down overstayers.

• Like 1

They were actually harder on overstayers in the past, in 2010 introducing compulsory prison time even for those surrendering at the airport. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/400387-thai-immigration-introduces-jail-time-for-overstayers/

These things come and go with different governments, there's not necessarily progression over time.

Edited by jspill