Cambodia ends privatization of Angkor Wat Temple: PM

geovalin

PHNOM PENH, Nov. 6 (Xinhua) -- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Friday that the government has ended the privatization of the famed Angkor Wat Temple complex and a public enterprise will be established to control revenue from ticket sales at the temple complex from next year.

"A piece of important news for the Cambodian people across the country: from 2016, the royal government of Cambodia will control and manage the whole Angkor Wat Temple, including staff, revenue and expense," he wrote on his official Facebook page.

Information Minister Khieu Kanharith wrote on his Facebook account that during a weekly cabinet meeting on Friday, Hun Sen said Sok Kong's company had returned its right to sell tickets for entering Angkor complex to the government.

He said a state enterprise would be established to continue managing the revenue from selling tickets to foreign tourists visiting the temple.

The Sokha Hotel Company, owned by influential businessman Sok Kong, had been hired to collect revenue from selling tickets to visit the Angkor since 1999.

Last year, the company earned the gross revenue of 59 million U.S. dollars from ticket sales and in the first 10 months of this year, it made the revenue of nearly 48 million U.S. dollars, according to government reports.

Located in northwestern Siem Reap province, Angkor Wat Temple, is the kingdom's most popular tourist destination.

source: http://www.globalpost.com/article/6682586/2015/11/06/cambodia-ends-privatization-angkor-wat-temple-pm

Do they have the Thai style double prize system? If so I will watch it on TV and Google Earth.

I'd be okay with 'double' in los but that is not the case, its 5X, 10X even 20 X, government sanctioned to boot.

AND

Thailand has nothing remotely impressive as Ankor

Interesting! A few days ago I read of the huge amount

generated by Angkor ticket receipts annually and today

the that pearl of a gent Hun Sen notifies the populace

that his government will now be running the show, lock,

stock and barrel. Methinks he read the same info and

figures he should be making sure those hefty $$$$'s

have the proper management. Whatta' guy clap2.gif

Funny that Sen still insists on calling his government royal. They exiled King Sihanouk decades ago. When he finally returned he was stripped of most of his fortune, and left with no power whatsoever. His son King Sihamoni was equally stripped of power or influence. Sen despised the influence he had over his people, and was completely intolerant of any rivals to his power base. So, calling their country royal, despite the fact that zero respect is shown to the Royal family, is a bit hypocritical, as is everything this madman does. He is one of the most hated men on the planet. His behavior is an abomination against his people. The last thing in the world that Cambodia is, is a democracy. Why the UN goes along with that charade is beyond my comprehension.

Why the UN goes along with that charade is beyond my comprehension.

Pretty sad use of many countries peoples taxes.

Is there an ASEAN country is not like that? (not rhetorical).

Undoubtedly, the two worst offenders are Cambodia and Burma. Both of their governments are positively heinous. Black hearted, without boundaries. Hun Sen, and Than Shwe (nobody can convince me he does not still control the country and the military) are both despotic, super greedy, power hungry pigs, who know no boundaries, ethics nor morality.