The Russians are coming back to Pattaya?

dabhand

As a generalization, the Russians here appear MUCH MUCH warmer towards other Russian speakers. I understand how that makes sense with the language barriers. The problem I have is is the extreme brutish behavior towards non-Russians. Being indifferent is one thing. This goes further.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its pretty easy to get past security at the airport here if you have the right friends or money, a policeman recently carried a gun in his hand laugage without being stopped, and there was a terrorist attack in Bangkok not long ago (altho the public werent informed who was behind it) so I dont see Thailand as being any less risky

As a generalization, the Russians here appear MUCH MUCH warmer towards other Russian speakers. I understand how that makes sense with the language barriers. The problem I have is is the extreme brutish behavior towards non-Russians. Being indifferent is one thing. This goes further.

My wife is often shoved out of the way at the markets by Russian women who push their way through to get to items. She doesn't put up with it though and shoves back LOL.

My wife is often shoved out of the way at the markets by Russian women who push their way through to get to items. She doesn't put up with it though and shoves back LOL.

Be prepared when heading to the Russian hotel buffet scrum. Protective gear recommended, elbow pads, head gear, raincoat, steel toe boots, etc..

Race yes. Culture and behavior ... hmm.

Culture and behaviour are as diverse as race. The lack of please and thank you in Russia shocked me initially but

it is not a mark of impoliteness, just a cultural difference.

Those unable to accept behavioural or cultural differences should really stay in their own country.

It is the differences in both that make living in a multicultural society so interesting.

I'm not a moron, dude.

I know all about Russian cultural differences. Duh. Such as the not smiling.

My grandparents all spoke Russian and made really good borscht, much better than I've had in Pattaya.

But am I correct that you don't live in Pattaya and take the baht buses regularly when the Russkies are in town?

The way they act, many of them, not all, is truly atrocious.

They push and shove to get on the buses at the Jomtien queue much worse than any nationality here.

The queue minders need to carry weapons and I kind of don't blame them.

Then they don't make space for others when it's crowded.

I was NOT joking about sitting on them. To get a seat, I REALLY do quite often need to sit on them.

And the people I sit on are ALWAYS Russians. Coincidence? Not a chance.

It's like they are 100 percent oblivious to anyone outside their group, unless they are also RUSSKIES.

No, this is real.

The American way of describing such obnoxious brutish behavior is asking: WERE YOU RAISED IN A BARN?

Yes, dude, as I said I'm not a moron.

I know there are cultured, educated, and polite Russians.

I have worked with some of them.

Not talking about them.

Talking about the RUSSKIE HERDS here in Pattaya.

Again, you don't live here, do you?

I get it. You want to be culturally sensitive, multi-culti, tolerant, "PC" etc.

I'm sorry. In this case that does not wash. The behavior I described is objectively very RUDE and awful. Can you even admit that?

I apologize if I have offended any Russians reading this who are not that way. I know you are not all that way. But I'm sorry, the behavior I described is simply beyond being "tolerant" about.

Thank you so much for stating twice in one post that yu are not a moron, that will remove all doubt..possibly.

I lived in Pattaya whilst I had commercial interests there (not a bar) but the daily digest of farangs in wife beater shirts and socks with open toe sandals ( mostly American, I'm sorry to say) and

stomaches that bounced lower than their knees as they waddled was just too much to bear.

How do you know they are all Russians and not from a former Eastern bloc country like Ukraine? Do you demand a passport when you sit on them?

Finally, I do appreciate your reminder of that intellectual hillbilly put down.

Dude, have a good day.

It has all to do with Geography and how you are prepared to fly packed in a metal tube.

Most of the "Former Soviets" you see here in Pattaya/Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia fly from Siberia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan.....Direct to Uta Pao Airport on charter flights for the one's coming here.

They prefer all inclusive holidays.

The Soviets that were in Sharm flew from the West. St Petersburg, Moscow. Latvians, Estonians, Georgians, Azeris mostly head for Sharm and also previously to Turkeys' Eastern Med resorts, but this place has died a death due to the mass invasion from the south from Syria.

The start of this thread stated 45,000 were in Sharm.....today I read that 11,000 are flying back so i think that first number was a tad high.

Also, the Chinese numbers here are appear to be down.....less coaches (still too many I know) my thinking behind this is that word is getting back to the rest of them in China that this place aint what they expected....crap awful filthy beaches, buckled roads and highways, moderate to poor resorts/hotels jammed with more of their kind. Endless days on busses. being fed Chinese food in special food courts catering only for them all the time that is maybe not upto what Mama Li makes back home. As for Lady Boys and the Gay scene...well until a few months ago China considered it a mental illness soooo ......not exaclty paradise here is it..?

As for Russians heading back to Pattaya in droves - I doubt it the Ruble is toast.

It has all to do with Geography and how you are prepared to fly packed in a metal tube.

Most of the "Former Soviets" you see here in Pattaya/Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia fly from Siberia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan.....Direct to Uta Pao Airport on charter flights for the one's coming here.

They prefer all inclusive holidays.

The Soviets that were in Sharm flew from the West. St Petersburg, Moscow. Latvians, Estonians, Georgians, Azeris mostly head for Sharm and also previously to Turkeys' Eastern Med resorts, but this place has died a death due to the mass invasion from the south from Syria.

The start of this thread stated 45,000 were in Sharm.....today I read that 11,000 are flying back so i think that first number was a tad high.

Also, the Chinese numbers here are appear to be down.....less coaches (still too many I know) my thinking behind this is that word is getting back to the rest of them in China that this place aint what they expected....crap awful filthy beaches, buckled roads and highways, moderate to poor resorts/hotels jammed with more of their kind. Endless days on busses. being fed Chinese food in special food courts catering only for them all the time that is maybe not upto what Mama Li makes back home. As for Lady Boys and the Gay scene...well until a few months ago China considered it a mental illness soooo ......not exaclty paradise here is it..?

As for Russians heading back to Pattaya in droves - I doubt it the Ruble is toast.

The 11,000 flying back are actually those that have been repatriated in the first 24hours of the operation. Some mention that there are a total of 80,000 Russians to be sent back, but this may also include other parts of Egypt, although Sharm will have the majority.

Quite impressive when the Brits were struggling to achieve a figure of around 1,500 on their first day. Not sure how the Russians are dealing with the issue of hold baggage - that seemed to have been the main reason for the delay to the Brits arrangements.

your kidding right?

We'll get Russians this season.

Many already here.

Clearly not nearly as many as previous recent years.

How to measure how many because of Egypt?

Maybe there will be news about this from the travel industry. Maybe there won't be.

Taking it from previous posts from you, you have traveled S/E Asia extensively. Good for you.

Why is it that Russian Tourists (or Investors) have accumulated such a negative image of themselves in such a relatively short period of time ?

Thailand is a truly cosmopolitan turf. All nations of the world congregate here.

Only problem is: It seems,nobody likes Russians, And Russians don't like the rest of the word That may well be the root of the problem.

Cheers.

just the effects of coldwar propaganda I think, most Thai probably couldnt tell the difference, and as a non US westerner they seem no different to any other eastern european to me

Those are Euros. Sorry Americans tend to dress much better than the slobs you speak of.

Race yes. Culture and behavior ... hmm.

Culture and behaviour are as diverse as race. The lack of please and thank you in Russia shocked me initially but

it is not a mark of impoliteness, just a cultural difference.

Those unable to accept behavioural or cultural differences should really stay in their own country.

It is the differences in both that make living in a multicultural society so interesting.

I'm not a moron, dude.

I know all about Russian cultural differences. Duh. Such as the not smiling.

My grandparents all spoke Russian and made really good borscht, much better than I've had in Pattaya.

But am I correct that you don't live in Pattaya and take the baht buses regularly when the Russkies are in town?

The way they act, many of them, not all, is truly atrocious.

They push and shove to get on the buses at the Jomtien queue much worse than any nationality here.

The queue minders need to carry weapons and I kind of don't blame them.

Then they don't make space for others when it's crowded.

I was NOT joking about sitting on them. To get a seat, I REALLY do quite often need to sit on them.

And the people I sit on are ALWAYS Russians. Coincidence? Not a chance.

It's like they are 100 percent oblivious to anyone outside their group, unless they are also RUSSKIES.

No, this is real.

The American way of describing such obnoxious brutish behavior is asking: WERE YOU RAISED IN A BARN?

Yes, dude, as I said I'm not a moron.

I know there are cultured, educated, and polite Russians.

I have worked with some of them.

Not talking about them.

Talking about the RUSSKIE HERDS here in Pattaya.

Again, you don't live here, do you?

I get it. You want to be culturally sensitive, multi-culti, tolerant, "PC" etc.

I'm sorry. In this case that does not wash. The behavior I described is objectively very RUDE and awful. Can you even admit that?

I apologize if I have offended any Russians reading this who are not that way. I know you are not all that way. But I'm sorry, the behavior I described is simply beyond being "tolerant" about.

Thank you so much for stating twice in one post that yu are not a moron, that will remove all doubt..possibly.

I lived in Pattaya whilst I had commercial interests there (not a bar) but the daily digest of farangs in wife beater shirts and socks with open toe sandals ( mostly American, I'm sorry to say) and

stomaches that bounced lower than their knees as they waddled was just too much to bear.

How do you know they are all Russians and not from a former Eastern bloc country like Ukraine? Do you demand a passport when you sit on them?

Finally, I do appreciate your reminder of that intellectual hillbilly put down.

Dude, have a good day.

The fact that there were so many Russian Holiday Makers in Sharm El Sheik shows that they have found a way around the currency quagmire.

Of course they will return to Thailand en masse once they get their canceled holiday refunds. It's likely to be a lot of last minute switching..

Nope, no way around the collapsed Rubble, it has lost half, and stays that way. There are not so many Russians holiday makers at all in Sharm, 25.000 Russians when the disaster happened, that is not many for the country of 200 Million.

Since Egypt and Turkey are the only package tourism destinations for Russians of European part of Russia, the very low numbers of Russians in Sharm show where Russian tourism is at.

There will be no en masse switching to Thailand, people who planned vacationing in Sharm simply can't switch to any place else, Turkey's season is ending at the end of November.

And they can't switch to Thailand because of the cost, the all inclusive package (hotel, meals, often drinks) to Sharm in Egypt is around 300 Euros from western parts of Russia, but the air fare alone to Thailand from St. Petersburg is 500 - 600 Eur, add hotel and walking around money.

It is only people from western parts of Russia who fly to Egypt and Turkey, 1 week all inculsive package costs 300 Euros, last minute deals 200 Eur.

People from east of Urals do not fly to to Egypt and Turkey, flight to Thailand is cheaper for them, and these are the people we see here. Siberians.

There are exceptions, Royal Cliff always has ton of Russians from Moscow and St. Petersburg, but you won't meet these Russians on Beach Rd, shouting and screaming, they play tennis at Royal Cliff, and they make fun of their country men who wonder around Central, wearing Speedos.

So there will be no last minute switching, no spending the Sharm refund money on holidays in Thailand, because the refund of 300 Euros doesn't get them here.

There will be Russians, but those are people who can afford to pay double for everything, not many, no invasion.

You are all abviously meeting the wrong Russians. Perfect manners, never scared of getting their CC out and paying....total different culture to most Westernised foreigners

You must be hanging around the wrong westernised foreigners if they are scared to get out their CC and pay.coffee1.gif

Today I actually saw a handful of Russians on the beach and around the streets of Pattaya, maybe they are returning after the Egypt plane crash. Even Cherry bar at 6.30 has a few early punters.

My photo blog,

Edited by Rimmer
Blog link removed:Please see forum rule 18, thank you

Be prepared when heading to the Russian hotel buffet scrum. Protective gear recommended, elbow pads, head gear, raincoat, steel toe boots, etc..

Somehow they missed playing rugby, should be second nature to them

The Russians will come back as soon as the "Ruble" recovers. It;s a currency exchange matter. In the meantime, all the massage parlors that have changed their advertising from "Thai Massage" to :"MACCAX" have been betting on the wrong horse.

Cheers.

Not to mention all the restaurants that changed their menus to include Russian.

The fact that there were so many Russian Holiday Makers in Sharm El Sheik shows that they have found a way around the currency quagmire.

Of course they will return to Thailand en masse once they get their canceled holiday refunds. It's likely to be a lot of last minute switching..

Nope, no way around the collapsed Rubble, it has lost half, and stays that way. There are not so many Russians holiday makers at all in Sharm, 25.000 Russians when the disaster happened, that is not many for the country of 200 Million.

Since Egypt and Turkey are the only package tourism destinations for Russians of European part of Russia, the very low numbers of Russians in Sharm show where Russian tourism is at.

There will be no en masse switching to Thailand, people who planned vacationing in Sharm simply can't switch to any place else, Turkey's season is ending at the end of November.

And they can't switch to Thailand because of the cost, the all inclusive package (hotel, meals, often drinks) to Sharm in Egypt is around 300 Euros from western parts of Russia, but the air fare alone to Thailand from St. Petersburg is 500 - 600 Eur, add hotel and walking around money.

It is only people from western parts of Russia who fly to Egypt and Turkey, 1 week all inculsive package costs 300 Euros, last minute deals 200 Eur.

People from east of Urals do not fly to to Egypt and Turkey, flight to Thailand is cheaper for them, and these are the people we see here. Siberians.

There are exceptions, Royal Cliff always has ton of Russians from Moscow and St. Petersburg, but you won't meet these Russians on Beach Rd, shouting and screaming, they play tennis at Royal Cliff, and they make fun of their country men who wonder around Central, wearing Speedos.

So there will be no last minute switching, no spending the Sharm refund money on holidays in Thailand, because the refund of 300 Euros doesn't get them here.

There will be Russians, but those are people who can afford to pay double for everything, not many, no invasion.

Spot on, my friend's Russia wife says just the same about the Siberian crew!!!!

Pattaya will boom if more Russian planes are down!

Most of the Russian women friends i know .. prefer to visit Turkey .. as per the Ruble rate is better than Thailand .. so maybe they will go there instead of Egypt... i know they say .. Thailand is such a long flight ....

Not from Siberia.

Actually Jingthing.. the woman i was talking about came from Irkutsk - Siberia ,,,, yes but i get your point .. it is about the same flight time as Thailand ,, so i remember ... she`s been 3 times.. with daughter ...... :-)

I think Turkey`s Currency will be getting very cheap soon for them,, they are having Big problems with their Economy lately ... so maybe prudent Russians will be attracted to the Cheap deals ,, if the flight is the same time and Exchange rate cheaper than Thailand ...