Benefit of Rabies Vaccine Pre-Bite

junkofdavid2

I don't see how much benefit rabies pre-exposure vaccine is... 3 vaccines pre exposure and if you get bitten you still have to get another 2 .

Whereas if you don't have a pre-exposure vaccine you must get 4-5 vaccines if bitten (can choose the 2-1-1 regimen instead of 1 x 5 separate days).

So it's kinda the same, right? What am I missing? sad.png

Edited by junkofdavid2

Whereas if you don't have a pre-exposure vaccine you must get 4 vaccines if bitten (if you choose the 2-1-1 regimen instead of 1 x 5 separate days).

I've just had a series of post exposure jabs. First was 2 jabs (1 in each shoulder) + 2 allergy jabs (1 in each forearm.)

Then 2 follow up jabs a couple of days later

A week later another 2 jabs.

There is an option of a further 2 booster jabs at 28 days but the Dr didn't think I needed them.

The jabs are painless and no after effects for me. I believe prices vary dependent on your weight. 2 x jabs cost me 400 B at a govt hospital.

Thanks for the info.

But makes me wonder even more on whether it's worth getting a pre-exposure vaccine (I've been on a vaccine binge lately, taking advantage of cheap shots at Red Cross).

I've lived here 10 years and never been bitten.

Vaguely remember being "kinda" bitten as a child by my aunt's dogs (no rabies for sure), long time ago.

If not having had pre-exposure vaccination you should also have human rabies immune globulin (HRIG) to be absolutely safe. If having had the pre-exposure vaccinations this is not needed. I believe the HRIG is more expensive and not as widely available as the normal vaccines.

I paid 40 Baht per vaccination when I had them at the local health centre in Bangkok in 2011.

Sophon

If not having had pre-exposure vaccination you should also have human rabies immune globulin (HRIG) to be absolutely safe. If having had the pre-exposure vaccinations this is not needed. I believe the HRIG is more expensive and not as widely available as the normal vaccines.

I paid 40 Baht per vaccination when I had them at the local health centre in Bangkok in 2011.

Sophon

In my case I can well-afford vaccines and am never far from a hospital (I'm a city person). I wonder if it's still worth getting a pre-exposure vaccine..? sad.png

If not having had pre-exposure vaccination you should also have human rabies immune globulin (HRIG) to be absolutely safe. If having had the pre-exposure vaccinations this is not needed. I believe the HRIG is more expensive ....

Correct, plus the immune globulin carries with it some significant risks (including anaphylactoc shock) . Avoiding the need for this, in addition to reducing the number of post-exposure vaccines needed, is the main advantage to getting the pre-exposure vaccine.

An additional concern in Thailand is that the "mai pen rai" philosophy makes its way into medical practices and it is not unusual for a doctor to waive aside the (very important) need for administering the immune globulin onto the wound.

Another consideration is that, while 2 additional shots post-bite are still recommended, should it for some reason not be possible to get it right away your are at less risk than if unvaccinated.

Sophon

In my case I can well-afford vaccines and am never far from a hospital (I'm a city person). I wonder if it's still worth getting a pre-exposure vaccine..? sad.png

In my opinion (for what it is worth!) if living in a country where Rabies is endemic pre-exposure vaccination offers more potential benefit than risk.

It is worth remembering that rabies in humans is almost always fatal.