Thailand's Labour Ministry cracks down on foreign models working without work permits

webfact

Foreign model? Who needs them, Thai women are the most beautiful, stunning, gorgeous women in the world. You don't have to search long to find a beauty in Thailand. Perfect in everyway.

Funny how most foreigners only date the ugly ones

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreign model? Who needs them, Thai women are the most beautiful, stunning, gorgeous women in the world. You don't have to search long to find a beauty in Thailand. Perfect in everyway.

Especially all those "luk krueng " who had many surgeries to redress the nose, the lips, breasts etc.

It is rare to find a successful Thai model who is actually 100% Thai in appearance. Dark skin is still a big No No in Thai fashion

How about just make it easier to hire them legally?

Clearly the fashion business (which i assume is why the model are here) being a global business requires models from around the globe for marketing and advertising purposes.

So rather than get all flustered stop with the patriotic filibustering and listen to what your companies need, in this instance - a flexible pool of foreign models, and make it easy for them to be employed quickly, efficiently and legally. So your companies can be more successful globally.

That would be indeed a sensible and intelligent solution.

Would bring Thailand a greater benefit in the globalized world and its fashion industry.

Unfortunately here are currently the crack downs on foreigners more in fashion, than intelligent solutions.

Officials threaten to jail foreign models without work permits
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- All those pretty faces seen in catalogues and at notorious “models’ nights” could be facing a prison sentence of up to five years after Thai officials vowed to crack down on unlicensed foreign models.

The Labor Ministry has teamed up with the Thai Modelling Industry and Agencies Association to campaign against hiring foreign models without proper work permits.

The illegal models, many from Ukraine, Brazil and Israel, enter Thailand on a tourist visa but then accept modeling gigs without work permits, said Director-general of the Ministry’s Employment Department, Arak Prommanee.

Some models are paid as much as THB50,000 an hour without having to pay tax, he added.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/09/officials-threaten-jail-foreign-models-without-work-permits

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-09

When the Thai come to Europe they all make pictures all the time! That's working without a visa as well, they use them for promotion purposes on Fayboo.

But Allright, from now all European models should refuse to go to Thailand and go to Bali to do shootings for the magazines. It's much cheaper there anyway.

Silly people. Guaranteed this is the result of some Thai Hi-So's ugly daughter not getting a modeling job that went to a Scandinavian model. That's all this is.

5006d1306511180-winway-atv800cc-new-mode

Don't let them tell you that you're not beautiful enough to be a model. I'll fix it.

What's next?

How it is with athletes?, soccer teams?, concert musicians?, music groups?, snooker professionals?, darts players, racers?

Have all a Work Permit?

Many earn more than 50,000 baht per hour.

Crack down on them too?

If they are staying long- term then yes of course they need to get work permits. There are performer's visa for those staying for a few nights- visiting sports teams, djs etc. Have you not heard of numerous musicians in the world struggling to get into country x or y because of previous criminal convictions? Do you think they are applying for tourist visa in those countries? Do you have the same disdain for the US, Uk, Canada, Netherlands and numerous others for forcing people to get the same visas and not just allowing everyone to come in on tourist visas and indulge in whatever other work they fancy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/arts/us-visa-rules-frustrate-foreign-performers.html?_r=0

It's about time to get these illegal workers.

As a business owner, I've got my proper visa, wp and I pay my taxes here in Thailand.

I've met several foreign models and actors. Most of them were hanging out at Soi 11 every evening bragging about how much money they made on their jobs. All of them were here on Tourist Visa. I told them years ago that they could get arrested for working illegally in Thailand. They denied this and that is was allowed by government. I knew they were all lying after I told them that I was a business owner. They all wanted to work and get a wp in name of mycompany what is in B2B e-Commerce solutions. I only hire experts which are very hard to find in Thailand.

So if immigration is smart they will contact an agency like Model Inc Soi 4 for example and set them up with a casting for some soap or movie, where they need extras and actors. Locking them all up for 5 years or so, agencies included. It will be very quiet in Soi 11 after.

Edited by FredNL

Last time I went to Vientiane one of the people sharing van was a German kid (18-19). He told us that he worked as a model and in 3 months he had worked 3 days in 3 different places/provinces. And with the Thai laws being as they are it would be nearly impossible for him get it right:

1. Get all documents needed to apply for a non-B visa for 1 photo session.

2. Apply for the non-B visa in Laos (or other country)

3. Get back and apply for the WP (wait up to 14 days to get it approved...)

4. Have the photo session.

6. Leave Thailand and obtain a tourist visa (as the visa and WP would be void after the photo session...)

7. Go back to Thailand and wait to be contracted for next photo session and start all over again...

The agency he worked for had tried to get him a non-B with 1 year extension and 1 year WP but with each photo session having a new contract with a new company and being at different locations it was impossible to do!

In the end he did his work on tourist visa...

As a business owner, I've got my proper visa, wp and I pay my taxes here in Thailand.

I've met several foreign models and actors. Most of them were hanging out at Soi 11 every evening bragging about how much money they made on their jobs. All of them were here on Tourist Visa. I told them years ago that they could get arrested for working illegally in Thailand. They denied this and that is was allowed by government. I knew they were all lying after I told them that I was a business owner. They all wanted to work and get a wp in name of mycompany what is in B2B e-Commerce solutions. I only hire experts which are very hard to find in Thailand.

So if immigration is smart they will contact an agency like Model Inc Soi 4 for example and set them up with a casting for some soap or movie, where they need extras and actors. Locking them all up for 5 years or so, agencies included. It will be very quiet in Soi 11 after.

awww jealous somewhat? So what if you are a business owner - have a gold star and kiss immigration's arse some more.

What's next?

How it is with athletes?, soccer teams?, concert musicians?, music groups?, snooker professionals?, darts players, racers?

Have all a Work Permit?

Many earn more than 50,000 baht per hour.

Crack down on them too?

If they are staying long- term then yes of course they need to get work permits. There are performer's visa for those staying for a few nights- visiting sports teams, djs etc. Have you not heard of numerous musicians in the world struggling to get into country x or y because of previous criminal convictions? Do you think they are applying for tourist visa in those countries? Do you have the same disdain for the US, Uk, Canada, Netherlands and numerous others for forcing people to get the same visas and not just allowing everyone to come in on tourist visas and indulge in whatever other work they fancy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/arts/us-visa-rules-frustrate-foreign-performers.html?_r=0

Yes, I have the same disdain :)

Its a silly rule that should be relaxed….these models bring an 'exotic' quality to adverts they are placed in….making a product or service look more international and aspirational to the thais….but I do agree that tax needs to be paid…..how else can the paying company write it off as a legitimate business expense?

Asia is the land of 6s and 7s.

Finding an 8 here is a rare thing.

They have great bodies though... and are easy to lay... (which in many desperate men's eyes makes them a ten) but best of all they have a lovely femininity sadly lacking in the West.

Nordic beauties leave Asia in the dust by a very long way indeed... in all departments...

Edited by Joe Reality

You sound like the typical bitter TV member I've come to expect on these forums.

Yes, let's crack down on these people because I found it difficult to get a work permit!!

Why not advocate for the Thai government making work permits easier to get? Because they hurt your feelings bragging about how much money they made? Get over it.

Another crackdown which should be reciprocated by western governments or modeling agencies , they are so one eyed here , it getting stupid.

You really think the US or Europe is importing Thai models? LOL

Don't get me wrong, I think Thai women are beautiful. But most do not have the physical attributes to be models.

In fact, has that ever even happened? How many native Thai runway models have you seen in Paris, Milan, or NYC?

When is the last time you've seen an Asian model who is not at least second generation American (or British, or whatever)? It's pretty rare.

My daughter is a model. She is a Thai citizen and does photo shoots, fashion, catwalk, TV commercials, music videos etc. Many Thai school children do this,

Sometimes companies run different casting auditions at the same venue / time. On two recent occasions there were many East Europeans, mainly girls but some men, auditioning for a commercial. Many of these commercials are filmed in Thailand for overseas directors and producers and aimed at overseas markets. My daughter has done them for Indonesia, India, Pakistan and the US. All produced here and edited overseas,

Many of the East Europeans - Ukrainian, Russian mainly, some Romanian, all said it was o k to do as the advert would be shown overseas. They put their own interpretation on things and really wanted to believe as long as they avoided Thai TV, magazine's or cat walk work they would be fine without the appropriate visa and WP. They were on Education visa's (some were studying), tourist visas or overstay. A couple of the girls were keen to chat and made it very clear how they also earned extra income, should I or a friend be interested!

I wondered when this would be cracked down on as more and more of the Thais I saw at castings were getting fed up with the amount of foreigners turning up.

My friend's (foreigner) son was doing many auditions in the past. Standard rate is 16.000 Thb/day. Not bad but this is occasionally. Until yesterday, he went to an audition and when he arrived all participants were told no audition today. This morning when I saw the article in the newspaper I understood what happened.

Perfect in every way?

C'mon now...

Huh!?

Perfect as the way you pay

I just taught 100 kids to learn English for 320 hours and still haven't reached 50,000 baht!!!

tommorow i talk with accent and ain't gonna work no man i no big money for u and now i am lost the plot....

Yes teacher. Thank-you teacher.

See you dtoo-moor vow teacher.

Another crackdown which should be reciprocated by western governments or modeling agencies , they are so one eyed here , it getting stupid.

You really think the US or Europe is importing Thai models? LOL

Don't get me wrong, I think Thai women are beautiful. But most do not have the physical attributes to be models.

In fact, has that ever even happened? How many native Thai runway models have you seen in Paris, Milan, or NYC?

When is the last time you've seen an Asian model who is not at least second generation American (or British, or whatever)? It's pretty rare.

Metinee Kingpayom

http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/7-asian-models-face-fashion/