Thai Cabinet to consider declaring Dec 11 a public holiday

webfact

Cabinet to consider declaring Dec 11 a public holiday

bfd.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Deputy Prime Minister is preparing to submit a proposal to the Cabinet calling for December 11, the date of BIKE FOR DAD, to be a public holiday.

Deputy Prime Minister General Tanasak Patimapragorn reiterated that the government has not yet announced December 11 to be a public holiday. On December 11, the Kingdom of Thailand, as well as Thais living abroad, will celebrate His Majesty the King's 88th birthday anniversary with the cycling event, BIKE FOR DAD.

Related agencies from the public and private sector have said that if December 11 is declared a public holiday, then it will ease the administration of the activity. However, all parties have reported readiness and have focused on the safety and convenience of participants.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-11-09 footer_n.gif

Not disregarding the importance of the 10th, the smart thing to do would move the celebrations to the 11th including the bike ride and treat the 10th as a working day.

I am pretty certain HMK would not disapprove of such a move in the interest of the Thai businesses.

I'm obviously missing something here. But isn't the King's birthday on 05 December? It's a Saturday and would seem like the perfect day to have the festivities.

Correct, my mistake - actually that makes it easier change the day from 10 to 11.

at this rate thailand might as well open for just 2 days a years and they will most prob have 4 hour lunch breaks...stupidity at its finnest blink.png (how long are they going to make the NY break which will start 2 weeks after the 10/11 holiday???) facepalm.gif

I find this type of news frustrating. It is the last minute, yet again. There are already far too many holidays in the year and in December. Schools and businesses are already behind, so adding another holiday seems pointless, unless you don't mind having more holidays.

A decision was made on this months ago and it was no. Stick with that and don't be pressurized.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

I'm obviously missing something here. But isn't the King's birthday on 05 December? It's a Saturday and would seem like the perfect day to have the festivities.

The people who administer the ride, and the people on the bikes would much rather have 'real' day off to do this. TIT

Why choose a Friday in the first place? 5th or 6th would have been perfect, the King's actual birthday weekend and days when kids aren't at school, many people aren't at work and the traffic isn't going to be interrupted so badly..

The lack of logic in this country does make me despair sometimes.

Why choose a Friday in the first place? 5th or 6th would have been perfect, the King's actual birthday weekend and days when kids aren't at school, many people aren't at work and the traffic isn't going to be interrupted so badly..

The authorities know that the weekend of the King's birthday many Thais will go home to the provinces to see their own fathers.

Bangkok will be quiet that weekend so it's not a good idea to hold the Bike for Dad event then. Very logical.

The authorities know that the weekend of the King's birthday many Thais will go home to the provinces to see their own fathers.

Bangkok will be quiet that weekend so it's not a good idea to hold the Bike for Dad event then. Very logical.

But a working Friday?

With all this biking for whoever I think its time to open a bike shop! or a t shirt printing business

2 years ago here in PKK there were 2 bike shops now at least 8!

Oh I would be very very very careful not to go anywhere near merchandise associated with these biking events!