Advice on Extending Stay Beyond 90 Days

Hi, I have a Brazilian passport and was granted a 90 day visa exemption stamp upon my arrival in Thailand 2 months ago.

I would like to extend my stay beyond 90 days and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about the steps that I need to take.

Question:

If I go to Indonesia at the end of the 90 days and spend a few weeks there, what do I need to do to get back into Thailand? Should I apply for a visa over there or will I be granted another 90 exemption upon my arrival in Thailand? Any easier/cheaper ways to extend my stay without having to travel to Indonesia for a few weeks? Is Cambodia a better option?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it was my first visa exempt entry. To be clear, I've only been in Thailand for a total of about 60 days this year.

Are you saying that if I leave Thailand and come back a few weeks later, I will get another 90 day visa exemption at the airport?

Yes.

You visa exempt entry is not extendable.

If this was your first visa exempt entry you should be able to get another without difficulty..

" You visa exempt entry is not extendable "

I believe you are wrong about this but I'm no expert and I will wait for someone with more knowledge to confirm what I have read

" The Thai Immigration have released an update to regulations regarding applications for a temporary stay in Thailand (No. 327/2557). The overview is that 48 countries with a visa exemption stamp can now get a 30 day extension for 1,900 Baht "

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2014/08/new-regulations-for-visa-extension-in-thailand/

If this was your first visa exempt entry you should be able to get another without difficulty..

I believe you are wrong about this but I'm no expert and I will wait for someone with more knowledge to confirm what I have read

" The Thai Immigration have released an update to regulations regarding applications for a temporary stay in Thailand (No. 327/2557). The overview is that 48 countries with a visa exemption stamp can now get a 30 day extension for 1,900 Baht "

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2014/08/new-regulations-for-visa-extension-in-thailand/

The OP has a Brazilian Passport. Because Thailand and Brazil have a Bi-Lateral agreement the OP is entitled to a 90 day visa exempt entry which is NOT extendable.

I am not wrong but you are "mistaken" and your link is to a non official web site.

• Like 1

The OP has a Brazilian Passport. Because Thailand and Brazil have a Bi-Lateral agreement the OP is entitled to a 90 day visa exempt entry which is NOT extendable.

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

I know that I'll have to leave Thailand at the end of the 90 days. I just wasn't sure if I needed to apply for a visa outside the country or if I would be granted another 90 day visa exemption upon my return.

I read that visa exemptions are not granted at the land borders, so I figured that I'd just fly to Indonesia for a few weeks and then come back.

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

I know that I'll have to leave Thailand at the end of the 90 days. I just wasn't sure if I needed to apply for a visa outside the country or if I would be granted another 90 day visa exemption upon my return.

I read that visa exemptions are not granted at the land borders, so I figured that I'd just fly to Indonesia for a few weeks and then come back.

You will be given a second visa exempt entry.

Do not worry !

• Like 1

Brazilians qualify for entry under the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme (30 days) and Bilateral Agreement (90 days). Brasil is on the list that can apply for a 30 day extension but would only qualify if granted a 30 stay on entry. If the OP was granted 90 days they cannot apply for an extension.