Place to hang out for thirty year olds?

TheFox

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought your problem was going to be how to avoid all the oldies! Thirty years old and you feel you are too old to hang out with twenty year olds. Oh yes - I remember fondly. Don't worry though, wait til your 40 then you have the best decade of your life ahead. More money, more confidence, more perspective!

Lots of thai bars to choose from....however, same problem...tons of people in a few hot spots (yellow zoe, warm up bar and tawan daeng) I understand promenada has a pleasant outdoor type venue on friday and saturday. I suppose you can dance anywhere you want...if you are not shy. We do. I look like a darn fool at sixty..but we just do our thing anyways. If you are looking for farang discos...and you nixed yellow zoe, then you may not like warm-up bar either. Tawan daeng is very, very thai...but we like it. Big crowds though. There is Riverside and Goodview....(and another live band place across the street). That sounds like your speed. Can dance a bit, but you may be the only ones.

What's that bar in Maya? I'm intrigued.

rooftop bar....same musicians play at the Dayli....they said it was expensive, which likely means 80 for a small.

its 80bht for big,and its a far more lively and enjoyable place than that dark and dismal dayli.with its rickety furniture and soil floors, in fact kamrai bar has more going for it than dayli

If you want good beer, Beer Lab on Nimman isn't a bad choice. It's all imported so a lot more expensive than local beers, but that also weeds out a certain demographic. No backpackers, although still a fair amount of tourists. No dance floor, but it's relaxed and never too crowded.

Not Bangkok but Pattaya is where its at .Can now fly directly there from C.M ,by- passing bkk ;-),with Kan Air ,and now AirAsia .

C.M is increasingly for old guys like myself who are in bed by midnight .

Ha! Yes, or those of us not permitted out by ourselves after dark because we are weak males and there are so many available Thai females looking for good men. OK, that is what I am told by the wife.

If you want good beer, Beer Lab on Nimman isn't a bad choice. It's all imported so a lot more expensive than local beers, but that also weeds out a certain demographic. No backpackers, although still a fair amount of tourists. No dance floor, but it's relaxed and never too crowded.

Terrible choice. The service is crap (waiters doing their best to ignore the handful of customers in there), the food mediocre and the prices since their relaunch from HOBS are a joke.

At least the prices at Beer Republic are 'understandable' and easier to put up with the mediocre food and them trying to pad your bill.

The bottle shop sells proper unlike Dayli (I presume) and they don't take the P on pricing unlike Beer Lab.

Dayli has Carlsberg, but to pay 50 thb more for german beer (per bottle) at the bottle shop, than I pay in the US, to sit on plastic stools by a congested street begs the question, why come to Thailand to begin with? Tiger and Heineken are good enough, without getting reamed by the Excise Department.

Just because I live in Thailand doesn't mean I have to lower my tastes. Local beer is cack at best and the UK beers will usually cost more in the UK than in the Bottle Shop.

Thank you for my laugh of the day. Coming from a guy who thinks SUV's have style, the remark about not having to lower your tastes was riotous.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Blar Blar Bar on Nimman Soi 7 & 5 (2 Street fronts) has decent cover bands on nightly, great food, with off street parking handy. They have an indoor bar with live music, DJ and a dance floor. Outdoor stage has live bands too. Lism Cafe on Nimman Soi 5 is fun for live music, although no dance floor, good service and lovely Thai food with secure parking handy. There's a place called the Pub on Huay Kaew Rd which my partner said was good for live music and English style meals, it's just past Rin Kham intersection, past the Eastin Tan Hotel at Think Park. Oh and there's Dogaholic bar in Think Park, but you will need to arrive early if you want a table. However, you can sit on the bench seats just outside the bar too. No frills, or dance floor here just live music. I admit that most of these spots are pretty popular with the local uni students, but they're a very relaxed crowd. My partner and I enjoy these venues for a feed and live music even though we're a little older than you TheFox ;-) Good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for!

Edited by Dassie

If I were a young Thai person I'm sure I'd love Lism, but....

I like Blar Blar on weekdays when it isn't too crowded, or early on Fridays and Saturdays. Like most Thai places it's better to go with friends, and better still if some of the friends are Thai.

Terrible choice. The service is crap (waiters doing their best to ignore the handful of customers in there), the food mediocre and the prices since their relaunch from HOBS are a joke.

At least the prices at Beer Republic are 'understandable' and easier to put up with the mediocre food and them trying to pad your bill.

I always get great service, learn to tip maybe. I agree that the food is mediocre, but I don't go there to eat.

Beer Republic has roughly the same prices, and about 1/10 the selection, if that. No craft beers at Beer Republic, it's just the standard German/Belgian selection. In terms of beer selection Beer Lab is the best in Chiang Mai that I've found.

I always get great service, learn to tip maybe. I agree that the food is mediocre, but I don't go there to eat.

Beer Republic has roughly the same prices, and about 1/10 the selection, if that. No craft beers at Beer Republic, it's just the standard German/Belgian selection. In terms of beer selection Beer Lab is the best in Chiang Mai that I've found.

I thought you tipped after getting service, not before?

Fair point on the craft beers - I find most of them heavy going and tend to stick to UK bitters.

Beer Box and Cube are worth a look if you like trying different beers in the Nimman area.

Fair point on the craft beers - I find most of them heavy going and tend to stick to UK bitters.

Beer Box and Cube are worth a look if you like trying different beers in the Nimman area.

Honestly my experience with service there the first time was fine, but as with most places, if you tip well once they usually remember and you get good service when returning.

Personally I love IPAs, and Beer Lab has the best selection I've found so far. Haven't tried the other two places you mentioned though, will give them a look.

Beer Box is no longer on soi 9, it's either relocated or out of business. Where is Cube? I got different locations when I did an internet search.

Maybe this is another case of "same name, different places".

I found this map putting a Cube near Neighborhood Bar on Nimmanhamin soi 17 http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d6888533-Reviews-CUBE_Coffee_Unique_n_Beer_Experience-Chiang_Mai.html#MAPVIEW

This Cube on the other side of Sirimungklajarn on soi 11 https://foursquare.com/v/cube--coffeeuniquenbeerexperience/51642df3e4b0bcb0c9b3fed2

Now I've come across a Cube near the center of the old city https://www.facebook.com/pages/C-U-B-E/178447075649530

I'm curious which, if any, of these are worth checking out.

Edited by heybruce

But they are happy to order from el Tapio or whatever next door and they have some superb tapas nibbles..

Honestly my experience with service there the first time was fine, but as with most places, if you tip well once they usually remember and you get good service when returning.

Personally I love IPAs, and Beer Lab has the best selection I've found so far. Haven't tried the other two places you mentioned though, will give them a look.

Try namtoms.. small selection but great people and a real love of beers..

Also connected to the local brew scene and has occasional invite partys..