Facebook given 48 hours to quit tracking Internet users in Belgium

webfact

Facebook given 48 hours to quit tracking Internet users in Belgium

606x341_316771.jpg

BRUSSELS: -- Facebook has been given 48 hours by a Belgian court to stop tracking Internet users who don’t have profiles with the social media company, or face fines of up to 250,000 euros a day.

The order follows a case lodged by Belgium’s privacy watchdog in June which said Facebook indiscriminately tracks Internet users when they visit pages on the site or click “like” or “share”, even if they are not members, the court said.

Facebook said it would appeal against the decision.

“Today the judge… ordered the social network Facebook to stop tracking and registering Internet usage by people who surf the Internet in Belgium, in the 48 hours which follow this statement,” the court said.

“If Facebook ignores this order it must pay a fine of 250,000 euros a day to the Belgian Privacy Commission.”

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-10

Quote: >...said Facebook indiscriminately tracks Internet users when they visit pages on the site or click “like” or “share”, even if they are not members, the court said.

How can anyone 'like' or 'share' if they are not members of Facebook?

One more reason I never use facebook,

Agree, I did open a fb account but closed it when I discovered that automatically 'friends' had been added to my friends list without my permission and in some cases the friends were not people or organizations I knew and in fact wouldn't want to have any connection too.

Many of these social media apps are very active in terms of invading privacy.

Really ... if you don't like it, don't go to the site. The site is their property and they can do what they want with the data on their site. If I was Facebook I would tell Belgium if they don't like it, block me... see how their people react...