Dept of Land Transport to revise automobile policies to enhance credibility

webfact

Dept of Land Transport to revise automobile policies to enhance credibility

BANGKOK, 10 November 2015 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport will revise its public and private automobile policies in a bid to increase the public’s confidence in the country’s land transportation policies and services.

Sanit Promwong, Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, spoke today of the department’s 2016 policy which will emphasize fast and efficient services.

He said the department aims to enhance its automotive engineering industry to match international standards to ensure the safety of public transportation vehicles. The department will also install GPS navigation systems on public vehicles and clearly display the identification cards of the drivers.

As for private vehicles, the department will enforce inspection policies of vehicles and enhance the credibility of driver licenses by revising the content tests and the standards of driving schools.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-11-10 footer_n.gif

Anyone wonder if "enforcing inspection policies for private vehicles" will signal an end to the endless stream of motorcycles/cars with headlights/brake lights missing? As if..........

And totally remove the taxis which are very obviously unroadworthy, have gaping holes from rust, etc etc.

This year was the first year I had to have my SUV inspected to renew my annual vehicle registration since my SUV reached 7 years of age. What a joke the inspection was.

They did a quick check on braking capability, sound test at the exhaust tail pipe to ensure the muffler wasn't too loud, and did an emissions check at the exhaust tale pipe for about two seconds. That was it...they didn't check the lights, tires, etc. Bt200 paid for the inspection. Supposedly I could have had the inspection done at the Land Transport Office for Bt50 but it takes longer due to the queue/bureaucracy.

I was given a signed/stamped inspection letter to give the land transport office...I then drove over to the land transport office drive-thru to pay my registration...handed them my registration paper work (ie., insurance, vehicle blue book, inspection letter, and registration money). A minute later I'm handed my new registration sticker...done for another year. Yeap, the safety inspection was a joke.

This year was the first year I had to have my SUV inspected to renew my annual vehicle registration since my SUV reached 7 years of age. What a joke the inspection was.

They did a quick check on braking capability, sound test at the exhaust tail pipe to ensure the muffler wasn't too loud, and did an emissions check at the exhaust tale pipe for about two seconds. That was it...they didn't check the lights, tires, etc. Bt200 paid for the inspection. Supposedly I could have had the inspection done at the Land Transport Office for Bt50 but it takes longer due to the queue/bureaucracy.

I was given a signed/stamped inspection letter to give the land transport office...I then drove over to the land transport office drive-thru to pay my registration...handed them my registration paper work (ie., insurance, vehicle blue book, inspection letter, and registration money). A minute later I'm handed my new registration sticker...done for another year. Yeap, the safety inspection was a joke.

It looks good and legit on paper..........That's all it matters. unsure.png

The inspection was carried out , what is your problem .cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It is disturbing when you analyze the word credibility , have they ever had one , did they have one and lost it and if they had credibility why did they lose it , this is a concern with most Thai Government Administrations , to admit that there is a credibility problem is to admit that the department has been operating far from satisfactory , however they are not an orphan , most departments have a credibility problem.....................coffee1.gif .

They do not have a national database of registered cars because...the elite refuse to pay taxes on their imports.

It's the fat china-white elephant in the room.

You have a serious problem.

That chip on your shoulder is huge even by red-shirt standards. Get down the hospital and see if they can remove it.

There are making great head way in there policies but the forgot one major point. Any transport driver should have a drug test and then a random test once a month. All the drivers who had major accidents ran because they knew they would be arrested to showing positive from a drug test. Transportation should be free of drugs to make all commuters on there transport system feel safe while traveling! Not that hard to do. The police do it to farangs walking on the street with no warning.

The inspection was carried out , what is your problem .cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

No problem for me as I keep my vehicle in safe condition regardless of any yearly safety inspection. But I think the "joke" inspection is why you have so many vehicles on Thai roads that are rolling safety hazards and that's nothing to laugh at.

They did what????3 times I have gone to get and on arrival the inspection report was prepared and waiting due to a call advising plate number of vehicle on the way. Time saving effective,cost normal, safety issues unknown. At least your brakes worked according to test.... yes? Surprised you did not mention a discount offer for the fitting of a megaphone exhaust enhancer!facepalm.gif