Do I have to transfer funds from my Direct-Deposit Bankgkok Bank account (US based) to Thailand...

... in order to qualify for having sufficient funds to qualify for a Retirement Visa?

Hi, all...

I recently set up a Direct Deposit bank account with Bangkok Bank, USA, for the purposes of my (soon to be started) Social Security monthly retirement benefit funds to be Directly Deposited by the US Government...

All this for the explicate purpose of establishing the paper-trail requirements to qualify for obtaining a Retirement Visa. (I currently have a work permit here, and am full-time employed here in Thailand. AND the monthly SS benefits will exceed the 65,000 monthly requirement set by Thai Immigration, to qualify for obtaining a Retirement Visa.)

I figure the answer to this will be "Yes, you have to transfer the funds to the Bangkok-based branch." BUT I thought it would be wise to run this by the Visa experts here on TV... and also to pick up any additional peculiarities I might not have thought of....

Any idea, too, for how long I need to show this SS monthly transfer of retirement benefits, before the Thai officials consider it valid (for granting the Retirement Visa)?

Thanks in advance,

Pawpcorn

Are you sure you have a "Direct Deposit bank account with Bangkok Bank, USA," ?

The Bangkok bank in NY is not a retail bank and does not usually offer personal accounts.

Perhaps reading the content of the link will help remove confusion.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

• Like 2

I have to show proof of 800,000 thai baht aprox to show proof of wealth/sufficient funds for a pension visa. However, do I have to have the money in m Thai account or can I show 20,000 in sterling in my UK account? Or must the money be in Thailand? Thanks in advance for answer.

I have to show proof of 800,000 thai baht aprox to show proof of wealth/sufficient funds for a pension visa. However, do I have to have the money in m Thai account or can I show 20,000 in sterling in my UK account? Or must the money be in Thailand? Thanks in advance for answer.

If applying for an "extension of stay" based on retirement the 800K must be in a Thai bank.

If you want an O/A visa the money can be in a UK bank

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

For those posters saying the Bangkok Bank "New York" branch don't accept retail accounts you are correct. However, but, that has nothing to do in using their ABA/ACH routing number to transfer funds to your "in-Thailand" Bangkok Bank branch account. This transfer method using the NY branch has been in affect for many years, used by thousands of U.S. folks (like me) to cheaply accomplish ad-hoc or scheduled transfers from their banks, monthly pension payments from private companies and U.S. govt agencies, etc.

A Bangkok Bank "Direct Deposit" Savings account is an account at your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank branch and the money can be accessed at anytime but you must "personally" go to a branch to withdraw the funds...you must show-up in person...prove you are still breathing.. You are not given debit card access nor can you do any ibanking withdrawal...but you can deposit to the Direct Deposit account via ibanking, incoming international transfers such as pension payments, etc. It's a regular savings account in almost all respects "but" comes without debt card, no ibanking withdrawals--you must take your body to a branch to accomplish withdrawals. I opened one for my military retirement pension years back but only used it for 3 months or so before switching back to just having the money go to my U.S. bank account as I oscillated in how to best and most cheaply get funds from the U.S. to Thailand...part of that decision was based on me opening some new U.S. bank accounts and getting some no foreign transaction fee debit/credit cards which just changed how I managed and received my money. I still have the Direct Deposit account as I may use it again in the future.

The income affidavit obtained from the U.S. Consulate would provide the basis of the required monthly income, but if an immigration office wanted more proof (which some do sometimes based on ThaiVisa posts) then the person could just show them their Bangkok Bank passbook/statement which shows the monthly foreign payment arriving their account, their pension payment documentation from the paying company/govt agencies, etc....but I expect the Bangkok Bank passbook/statement showing the monthly payment arriving would be the preferred proof.

For my first three or so retirement extension of stays renewals I just used the income affidavit approach...was never asked for any additional proof. Then I got tired of paying the $50 to get the income affidavit and making the trip to the consulate each year to get it, so I just switch to the Bt800K in a Thai bank account for the last 4 years or so. I keep this money in a "fixed" saving account since it earns a lot more interest than a regular savings account, Direct Deposit account, etc. With a fixed account you can still access the money at any time, but if you access it before maturity you lose a most of the interest earning. I just roll the funds over to a new fixed deposit once the current one matures...and I don't add or take any money out...it just sets in the account and grows in size from interest. It also serves as my emergency pot of big money if ever needed "now/right now/today." Immigration has never had an issue...they just grant my retirement extension.

This is what the OP claims !

"I recently set up a Direct Deposit bank account with Bangkok Bank, USA" !

He probably has done no such thing and needs to understand exactly how the system works which is why I provided an informative link.

I have used the Bangkok Bank in London to effect money transfers to my Thailand based account for some years now.

I use the 800,000 baht method for my extension of stay based on retirement. I have two pensions that I have elected to be directly deposited into my USA home town bank account. Although I am eligible for social security I have elected not to collect it because the longer I defer it the more I will eventually collect on a monthly basic. My personal USA bank account does not charge me to transfer money to the New York Branch of Bangkok Bank, hence to my Bangkok Bank account here in Bangkok. I feel it is best to when I do decide to collect my social security, to continue having it deposited in my USA home town bank account because of the cost to make each monthly transfer to Bangkok Bank New York. Why do it on a monthly basis and pay the transfer fee every month if I can do a larger transfer either yearly or every two years and pay the bank fees only once instead of 12 times a year. The fees per transfer are somewhere around $15, times 12 that is $180 dollar a year, that adds up when one large transfer would be $15 a year or even maybe two years. Sorry OP if this is off topic, I am just replying to previously posted comments.

• Like 1

I charge my rent, utilities and large purchases to my Navy Fed no-foreign-transaction-fee credit card and always get the current Visa Card rate. For other expenditures, I occasionally withdraw cash at the Bangkok Bank inside counter and again get the Visa rate. I keep small amounts in my Thai bank accounts but have never needed to use that money. Navy Fed is great. They are very prompt in replying to questions or complaints. So far, I have not needed a Thai bank account for anything. I feel more secure keeping my funds and investments in the US where I am protected against loss to some degree. Then too, dollars are negotiable anywhere and the Navy Fed card is accepted everywhere I have travelled. It's a simple solution- keep your money in a good US bank and spend it anywhere using simple dollar to local currency exchange rates.

• Like 2

I want to apply for a retirement visa. I have to show proof of 800,000 thai baht aprox to show proof of wealth/sufficient funds for a pension visa. However, do I have to have the money in my Thai account or can I show 20,000 in sterling in my UK account? Or must the money be in Thailand? Thanks in advance for answer.

• Like 1

If applying for an "extension of stay" based on retirement the 800K must be in a Thai bank.

If you want an O/A visa the money can be in a UK bank

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

Is O/A visa the same as a retirement visa?

I want to apply for a retirement visa. I have to show proof of 800,000 thai baht aprox to show proof of wealth/sufficient funds for a pension visa. However, do I have to have the money in my Thai account or can I show 20,000 in sterling in my UK account? Or must the money be in Thailand? Thanks in advance for answer.

There is no "retirement" visa .

If you want an O/A long stay visa you can show money in a UK bank.

If you wish to apply for an "extension of stay based on retirement " (it is not a visa) you must show the 800k in a Thai bank.

The Bangkok bank in NY is not a retail bank and does not usually offer personal accounts.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

Yes, you cannot hold funds in any type of personal account at the NY branch of Bangkok Bank. You need to have established an account at a branch of Bangkok Bank in Thailand first and any deposits sent to the NY branch will automatically be credited to your Thai account in baht within a few days.

• Like 2

My point is you do not require such direct deposit account to use ACH transfers - it is only required if using for direct deposit of government payments - for me it makes much more sense to keep a US account for use when needed and have the bank do transfers by internet request/ACH to my normal Bangkok ATM access bank account whenever I want to do so. I have my government payment direct deposited to my US account.

Agree. I have Social Security, pension etc deposited to my US bank and then I make transfers to Bangkok Bank NY branch when I want to and in whatever amount I wish.

No charge from my US bank or money market fund to make the transfer and Bangkok Bank charges $10 and Baht 200, although that can vary slightly for larger or smaller transfers. And I get an SMS when the deposit reaches my account in Thailand, showing exchange rate used, the dollar & baht amounts and the fees.

I also use the income method & embassy affidavit for retirement extensions, but bring along documentation from SS, etc for the amount I claim as well as Bangkok Bank passbook copies showing deposits made. Theoretically the back-up documentation is not required, but I'd rather have it ready rather than have to scramble for it if immigrations wanted some further proof of income sources.

Edited by Suradit69

For those folks which don't want to incur the restrictions of a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit savings account to receive their monthly U.S. govt pension payment, as long as they have retained a U.S. bank account then having the pension payment sent to your U.S. bank account and then do a manual or an automatic transfer to your regular Bangkok Bank savings account would prevent the need for a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account which also means you can have a debit card, do ibanking withdrawals, have all the money management stuff associated with a regular/unrestricted account.

An automatic transfer is probably the way to go...just have the auto transfer date setup to occur at least a few days after the govt payment is posted to your account. If the govt payment is usually posted to your account say on the 1st of the month, have the auto transfer setup to occur on say the 5th, and a couple business days later the money the funds arrive/post to your regular Bangkok Bank account. When the dust settles each month you are getting your payment on the same approx date each month. I say "approx date each month" because the varying dates weekends and holidays fall on each month can affect the posting date. But heck, that approx date stuff even occurs when the govt payment is going directly to your bank account, especially to a foreign account such as a Bangkok Bank account. I only mention this approx date stuff since I've seen a few ThaiVisa posts over the years where some people get super concerned if the govt payment has not posted to their account on X-date each month. Quite a few of those posters made a followup post a day or so later saying there payment has now arrived...their blood pressure has now returned to normal.

Most U.S. banks do not charge any Sending fee for an ACH transfer, and whether it's just a transfer from your bank or the pension payment coming directly the exact same New York branch and local branch fees are still applied.

With a manual/automatic transfers funds from your U.S. bank there is no coding/description saying it's a payment from the U.S. Treasury/whatever govt agency--it's just a regular money transfer. But when the pension payment goes directly from the govt agency to your Bangkok Bank account it has the U.S. govt payment coding/description which allows Bangkok Bank to easily spot a U.S. govt payment requiring a Direct Deposit account.

• Like 1

Once again the thread has wandered away from the OP's question:

Do I have to transfer funds from my Direct-Deposit Bankgkok Bank account (US based) to Thailand...in order to qualify for having sufficient funds to qualify for a Retirement Visa?

The monthly payment of you social security in and of itself is not sufficient to "qualify" for an extension of stay here in Thailand once your visa expires (or in your case when you convert your work permit to a retirement extension)

Just showing, via bank records, that you have the money transferred into Thailand is not sufficient. The rule is either a letter from your embassy showing the monthly income (65,000 THB) or bank records showing 800K deposited in a Thai bank (400,000 if married to a Thai) for 2 months prior to your first extension and 3 months for your second and subsequent extensions. (or a combination of both) Some Immigration offices have been known to request bank records to show money coming into Thailand but those offices are in the vast minority

As others have stated it is better to have your SS payments deposited to a US Bank and then EFTS them to your Bangkok Bank account since the BB Direct Deposit rules are too restrictive in my opinion. I would rather click a transfer request on my computer than have to visit a bank branch every month to prove that I was still alive. Even if you don't want to remember to click most US banks will let you set up an automatic recurring transfer so once your SS payment comes in, it is automatically transferred to your BB account via EFTS

• Like 2

Sorry for the slow response back at my end... and I do understand this can seem a confusing topic, and is strange on many levels...

Let me supply a couple links of my own... THIS one http://photos.state.gov/libraries/chiangmai/231771/PDFs/Direct%20deposit%20procedures.pdf

...both from the US Government, on THIS page: http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service/u.s.-federal-benefit-information.html

...refers to the account as "Direct Deposit Account", so that the US Social Security can deposit my retirement funds, directly, WITHIN the United States.

This one from Bangkok Bank: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

... DOES explain:

"Holders of US bank accounts can save on fees for international funds transfers by transferring funds from the United States to Thailand via the US Automated Clearing House system (US ACH) and Bangkok Bank's New York branch.

By stipulating the 9-digit routing number for Bangkok Bank's New York branch (026008691) in your US transfer instruction, the funds will be transferred via the US ACH system directly to the receiver's Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, for a lower fee than most other international wire transfer services."

...that it's a New York Branch of Bangkok Bank.
From the ChiangMai US Consulate PDF, (first link above) this information:
SSDirect_Deposit_VIABangkok_Bank.jpg

and thus... my mild confusion about this...

Since it says the money is "available in Thai Baht at any Bangkok Bank branch"... does that mean (if I don't need the funds in-hand at this time) I can just leave it in this special account (for withdrawal at a later time) and that my account book (with the monthly deposits shown) would be satisfactory financial proof for the ONE YEAR RETIREMENT visa,

...as explained on THIS Thai Government Web page: http://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php

...they state there:

STEP 2: OBTAIN A ONE-YEAR RETIREMENT VISA

Requirements:

• Must be 50 years old and above
  • Passport (signed copies of each page)
  • Non-Immigrant Visa
  • Departure Card TM.6
  • Proof of meeting Financial Requirements
  • Thai Bank Book (original)
  • Letter from your Thai Bank *** any idea WHAT we are to ask them to write, in this letter???***
  • Three(3) 4×5 cm photos, with full face taken

and from the same page:

Meeting the Financial Requirements for a Retirement Visa:

Financial Requirements are as follows:

• Bank Account showing THB 800,000
  • Monthly income of at least THB 65,000
  • Combination (Bank Account + Income x 12 = THB 800,000)

...so taken literally (dangerous to do that in LOS, lol) it would seem that my Bangkok Bank Account Book (with monthly printed updates within) would suffice as proof of monthly income, eh? IE I could just leave the in this special "Direct Deposit Account", until actually needed, at a later date?

Thanks,

Pawpcorn

Edited by Pawpcorn

There is another option for Americans - It is not for high rollers however... But if you are an American and take out via ATM $2,000.00 each month in Baht equivalent or less ($2,000 x 35 Baht = 70,000 Baht allowed withdraw each month). If this is your case - then the AMEX Bluebird card is for you.

Your Bluebird balance can be much more than $2,000 - but monthly withdraw is limited to $2,000.

Your Social Security Direct Deposit can go to Bluebird.com. And it gets there 2 full days early ... At least 2 days before your designated day of receipt (as previously determined by the S.S. Administration).

Bangkok Bank charges only 50 Baht for ATM withdraws using the AMEX Bluebird (currently - to date)... And you get very near the TOP Baht to Dollar exchange rate that can be expected for small transactions... A few days ago I got 9000 Baht and the exchange rate was 35+ Baht per Dollar. Bluebird charges $2.50 for an ATM fee.

But 50 Baht Bangkok Bank fee - plus $2.50 AMEX Bluebird fee is not too bad. OH -- Must add with AMEX Bluebird .. NO foreign transaction fees..

The AMEX Bluebird has many many features that takes it far beyond a mere ATM Card... so go read ... bluebird.com -- you'll be impressed.

This Bluebird Card is also a GREAT way to transfer money between Thailand and the U.S. (both ways) via Bluebird Shared Family Cards or Bluebird Card to Bluebird Card transactions with any other Bluebird Card holder.

The Bluebird Card also is honored at any Thai Bank that has the AMEX logo on the ATM... I know of two other (Yellow and Green).

• Like 2

Yes, you will have to open another account at a BKK Bank branch in Thailand. You can then transfer funds from your USA-based direct deposit account into your local branch account. And you can get an ATM card to draw money directly from your local branch account, but the ATM card cannot be used to withdraw money from your direct deposit account. There may be other ways to meet the retirement visa requirements and access money here but this is the setup that I have had for 4+ years.

• Like 1

You do not need to do a SWIFT - just a normal free ACH bank to bank transfer when you want to do so (when exchange rate is good would be ideal time). Just use the same Bangkok Bank system but indirectly rather than directly from government. No need for a special account in Thailand preventing ATM access.

------------------

I have a direct deposit account with Bangkok Bank and my Social Security pension arrives every month on the 4th day of the month. (excepting U.S .holidays)

It is sent directly from Baltimore Maryland and the Social Security International Operations office there.

It is true that the SOCIAL SECURITY in the U.S. does not allow you to have an ATM card on that account for security reasons but it is NOT a Thai requirement it is a U.S. Social Security rule that the SSA has imposed for security reasons.

I therefore have two Bangkok Bank accounts, one for my monthly SS funds transfer, and another, with an ATM card that I transfer funds to for my living expenses here in Bangkok.

IT is NOT a great inconvenience for me, as the nearest Bangkok Bank Branch is less than 2 blocks from where I live and is open every day of the week (including weekends) for access to my funds.

Even an old man with a bad leg, as I am, can walk 2 blocks to get his monthly pension..

• Like 1

Sorry for the slow response back at my end... and I do understand this can seem a confusing topic, and is strange on many levels...

Let me supply a couple links of my own... THIS one http://photos.state.gov/libraries/chiangmai/231771/PDFs/Direct%20deposit%20procedures.pdf

...both from the US Government, on THIS page: http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service/u.s.-federal-benefit-information.html

...refers to the account as "Direct Deposit Account", so that the US Social Security can deposit my retirement funds, directly, WITHIN the United States.

This one from Bangkok Bank: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

... DOES explain:

"Holders of US bank accounts can save on fees for international funds transfers by transferring funds from the United States to Thailand via the US Automated Clearing House system (US ACH) and Bangkok Bank's New York branch.

By stipulating the 9-digit routing number for Bangkok Bank's New York branch (026008691) in your US transfer instruction, the funds will be transferred via the US ACH system directly to the receiver's Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, for a lower fee than most other international wire transfer services."

...that it's a New York Branch of Bangkok Bank.
From the ChiangMai US Consulate PDF, (first link above) this information:
SSDirect_Deposit_VIABangkok_Bank.jpg

and thus... my mild confusion about this...

Since it says the money is "available in Thai Baht at any Bangkok Bank branch"... does that mean (if I don't need the funds in-hand at this time) I can just leave it in this special account (for withdrawal at a later time) and that my account book (with the monthly deposits shown) would be satisfactory financial proof for the ONE YEAR RETIREMENT visa,

...as explained on THIS Thai Government Web page: http://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php

...they state there:

STEP 2: OBTAIN A ONE-YEAR RETIREMENT VISA

Requirements:

• Must be 50 years old and above
  • Passport (signed copies of each page)
  • Non-Immigrant Visa
  • Departure Card TM.6
  • Proof of meeting Financial Requirements
  • Thai Bank Book (original)
  • Letter from your Thai Bank *** any idea WHAT we are to ask them to write, in this letter???***
  • Three(3) 4×5 cm photos, with full face taken

and from the same page:

Meeting the Financial Requirements for a Retirement Visa:

Financial Requirements are as follows:

• Bank Account showing THB 800,000
  • Monthly income of at least THB 65,000
  • Combination (Bank Account + Income x 12 = THB 800,000)

...so taken literally (dangerous to do that in LOS, lol) it would seem that my Bangkok Bank Account Book (with monthly printed updates within) would suffice as proof of monthly income, eh? IE I could just leave the in this special "Direct Deposit Account", until actually needed, at a later date?

Thanks,

Pawpcorn

"...as explained on THIS Thai Government Web page: http://www.thaiembas...tire/retire.php "

That is NOT a Thai government link ! It is a COMMERCIAL link to a group of lawyers.

The site is known to have many errors and should not be relied on for good information.

• Like 1

Thanks,

Pawpcorn

Again - this is not what is required for income extensions of stay - you must present a letter of income from your Embassy as stated earlier. But yes you can have such an account and there is no need to access if you do not need the funds.

• Like 1

Hi,

The funds must be in Thailand, not overseas