Do I have to transfer funds from my Direct-Deposit Bankgkok Bank account (US based) to Thailand...

Are you sure you have a "Direct Deposit bank account with Bangkok Bank, USA," ?

The Bangkok bank in NY is not a retail bank and does not usually offer personal accounts.

Perhaps reading the content of the link will help remove confusion.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

Sorry for the slow response back at my end... and I do understand this can seem a confusing topic, and is strange on many levels...

Let me supply a couple links of my own... THIS one http://photos.state.gov/libraries/chiangmai/231771/PDFs/Direct%20deposit%20procedures.pdf

...both from the US Government, on THIS page: http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service/u.s.-federal-benefit-information.html

...refers to the account as "Direct Deposit Account", so that the US Social Security can deposit my retirement funds, directly, WITHIN the United States.

This one from Bangkok Bank: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

... DOES explain:

"Holders of US bank accounts can save on fees for international funds transfers by transferring funds from the United States to Thailand via the US Automated Clearing House system (US ACH) and Bangkok Bank's New York branch.

By stipulating the 9-digit routing number for Bangkok Bank's New York branch (026008691) in your US transfer instruction, the funds will be transferred via the US ACH system directly to the receiver's Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, for a lower fee than most other international wire transfer services."

...that it's a New York Branch of Bangkok Bank.
From the ChiangMai US Consulate PDF, (first link above) this information:
SSDirect_Deposit_VIABangkok_Bank.jpg

and thus... my mild confusion about this...

Since it says the money is "available in Thai Baht at any Bangkok Bank branch"... does that mean (if I don't need the funds in-hand at this time) I can just leave it in this special account (for withdrawal at a later time) and that my account book (with the monthly deposits shown) would be satisfactory financial proof for the ONE YEAR RETIREMENT visa,

...as explained on THIS Thai Government Web page: http://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php

...they state there:

STEP 2: OBTAIN A ONE-YEAR RETIREMENT VISA

Requirements:

• Must be 50 years old and above
  • Passport (signed copies of each page)
  • Non-Immigrant Visa
  • Departure Card TM.6
  • Proof of meeting Financial Requirements
  • Thai Bank Book (original)
  • Letter from your Thai Bank *** any idea WHAT we are to ask them to write, in this letter???***
  • Three(3) 4×5 cm photos, with full face taken

and from the same page:

Meeting the Financial Requirements for a Retirement Visa:

Financial Requirements are as follows:

• Bank Account showing THB 800,000
  • Monthly income of at least THB 65,000
  • Combination (Bank Account + Income x 12 = THB 800,000)

...so taken literally (dangerous to do that in LOS, lol) it would seem that my Bangkok Bank Account Book (with monthly printed updates within) would suffice as proof of monthly income, eh? IE I could just leave the in this special "Direct Deposit Account", until actually needed, at a later date?

Thanks,

Pawpcorn

"...as explained on THIS Thai Government Web page: http://www.thaiembas...tire/retire.php "

That is NOT a Thai government link ! It is a COMMERCIAL link to a group of lawyers.

The site is known to have many errors and should not be relied on for good information.

OMG those tricky lawyers... www dot thaiembassy dot com... !!!! Fooled ME!!!

Thanks for the heads-up!!!!

Pawpcorn

If you have a Bangkok Bank account for direct deposit, you will need to open a separate account that you will get a visa bank card with. To transfer funds from the direct deposit account into the other account, this can only be done at a bank branch. FYI the direct deposit account does not earn any interest.

If you have a Bangkok Bank account for direct deposit, you will need to open a separate account that you will get a visa bank card with. To transfer funds from the direct deposit account into the other account, this can only be done at a bank branch. FYI the direct deposit account does not earn any interest.

Yes, it does earn interest just like a regular savings account "unless" you have been coded as a non-resident in Thailand...happens frequently if not on a long stay visa/extension. Even happens for folks on long stay visa/extensions sometimes simply because the bank intentionally or mistakenly codes it as such...a no interest paying account is a good deal for the banks...besides, the farang will probably figure farangs don't earn interest and not raise the issue with the bank. If you are on a long stay visa/extension, probably time for your to visit your branch to have a discussion with them to get things corrected so you earn interest.

I have a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account and it earns interest...paid in Jun and Dec of every year....last interest payment was on 19 June 15 for me...I just looked at the account with my Bangkok Bank ibanking..

• Like 2

I have a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account and it earns interest...paid in Jun and Dec of every year....last interest payment was on 19 June 15 for me...I just looked at the account with my Bangkok Bank ibanking..

Hmmm. So you can tie your Direct Deposit account into your umbrella ibanking account? From what we've said, however, I guess, if you tried to transfer funds "out" of this account, you'd get a 'no can do'......

I have a direct deposit account with Bangkok Bank and my Social Security pension arrives every month on the 4th day of the month. (excepting U.S .holidays)

Presumably, then, you filed for your Social Security from Thailand via Manilla...? Otherwise, if you filed in the US, your payment would be on the second, third, or fourth Wednesday of the month (depending on day of month you were born). I don't believe, if you opted for Direct Deposit to Thailand, your payment would shift to the beginning of the month if you had initially filed in the US (but, I'm not totally certain of that.....). But, peculiar that filing abroad doesn't also use the Wednesday payment system

But it is not the most convenient method for many as it requires personal visit to local bank to withdraw funds in person to abide by Thai covering for requirements that bank be responsible for payback of funds deposited after death of payee. Using a US bank you can transfer on-line to a normal ATM card account here and not have to make visits to withdraw funds.

I have one and don't find the once a month trip to transfer the funds to another account that big a problem.

I get an SMS that tell me it is the bank and it includes the amount and exchange rate used.

It costs me about $12 or less to bring it in. I don't think you can do a SWIFT transfer that cheap.

I am doing my Swift transfers for a 7$ fee. But that is from Norway. Money in the Thai account the next day.

Hmmm. So you can tie your Direct Deposit account into your umbrella ibanking account? From what we've said, however, I guess, if you tried to transfer funds "out" of this account, you'd get a 'no can do'......

You can tie your Direct Deposit account to your ibanking, but you can only view it or transfer money "to" it via ibanking; you can not transfer money out of it using ibanking, use it pay bills via ibanking since that would be a transfer out, etc.

• Like 1

A BIT OFF TOPIC

One advantage to leaving your money in the US (at least this year) is that with the exchange rate for the dollar has increased 9% this year to date (35.78 today, 32.8 a year ago). Even if you are only making 1% on that year old money in the US, you still made 10% against the baht. If it is true what the guy from Kbank said that the exchange rate will go to 38 baht to the dollar--- you can only lose money keeping 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

Edited by bunnydrops

I would have to grow another 1000 fingers to count the number of times some financial expert said the exchange rate will go to X-valve at some future near or long term date...and then when reaching that projected date it ain't even close to the projected value....or the exchange rate has even went the opposite way due to some unforeseen event(s) or just being flat out being wrong.

• Like 1

A post violating this forum rule has been removed.

"1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.
To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.
Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them."

Remember that U.S. Social Security is paid in advance and any payment in the month of your death must be returned to Social Security so a Bangkok Bank direct deposit account could end up giving your executor a major headache. Better to route the payment through a U.S. bank with a balance sufficient to refund and staff who would be familiar wiyh this requirement and the procedures to comply.

Remember that U.S. Social Security is paid in advance and any payment in the month of your death must be returned to Social Security

No, it's paid in arrears. So the payment you receive in the month you die does not have to be returned. Now, if you die on the last day of the month -- and you receive your SS payment on the 3rd of the month (vice 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Wednesday, then, yes, you might have a compression problem. And in such a situation, where the SSA has to retrieve your errant payment, a US bank may be easier to deal with. However, the reverse may be true, as your wife may have already spent the errant payment to a US bank after your death -- but this couldn't happen with a Direct Deposit to Bangkok Bank, since being a corpse makes withdrawal problematic.

http://www.creators.com/lifestylefeatures/business-and-finance/your-social-security/one-day-can-make-a-difference-for-social-security-payments.html

Edited by JimGant
  • Like 1

Correct, the payment received on your regular payment date (typically one of the Wednesdays in the month) is for the preceding month.

You are due this payment only if you were alive the entire preceding month which can result in a payment needing to be returned (typically by the bank).

AARP

"Social Security benefits are paid in the month after they are due. So, if a person dies in the middle of June, the check that arrives that month

is actually for the month of May. Thus, the deceased is not being overpaid and the estate does not have to give back anything.

However, Social Security does not issue partial-month payments. Because the person did not live for the entire month of June, no benefit

at all is due for that month. If the family does not notify Social Security in a timely manner of the death, the full June benefit may be paid in

July and the money would have to be returned.

You are dead and gone so why worry? Actually this is the reason Bangkok Bank requires the special account - so they will not have a loss and can easily refund and why payments are allowed to be made into that account - it should not be an issue.

Correct, the payment received on your regular payment date (typically one of the Wednesdays in the month) is for the preceding month.

You are due this payment only if you were alive the entire preceding month which can result in a payment needing to be returned (typically by the bank).

AARP

"Social Security benefits are paid in the month after they are due. So, if a person dies in the middle of June, the check that arrives that month

is actually for the month of May. Thus, the deceased is not being overpaid and the estate does not have to give back anything.

However, Social Security does not issue partial-month payments. Because the person did not live for the entire month of June, no benefit

at all is due for that month. If the family does not notify Social Security in a timely manner of the death, the full June benefit may be paid in

July and the money would have to be returned.

Yeap...years back when my mother died in the middle of the month and was drawing social security we called Social Security a few days later to notify them of the her death...no payment was received for that partial month of her life.

You can tie your Direct Deposit account to your ibanking, but you can only view it or transfer money "to" it via ibanking; you can not transfer money out of it using ibanking, use it pay bills via ibanking since that would be a transfer out, etc.

Hmmm That's interesting that it's possible to tie the Direct Deposit account to my ibanking!

Did that require a visit to the branch, to fill out additional paperwork?

Do you think there's any risk to doing this, as it possibly being viewed (mistakenly, even) as a violation of the very special nature of this account?

Thanks {to everyone!} for your interest and added information to this inquiry!!! smile.png

I DO know now, that (according to the advice I received here) that I STILL will need to get a letter from my US Embassy stating that I get monthly retirement benefits, for life... Does anyone know if the Embassy will draft this letter, or do I need to go in, with a letter that I'VE drafted, that they just notarize?

Thanks again,

Pawpcorn

Income Affidavit

The Thai government requires all U.S. citizens with Thai retirement visas to verify their income when they renew their retirement visa annually. Please print out this income affidavit (PDF 23KB) form to complete by hand or complete this income affidavit online then print it out. Please remember not to sign the form before you come to the American Citizen Services Unit. You will need to sign it in front of a designated officer.

Fee: $50

Hmmm That's interesting that it's possible to tie the Direct Deposit account to my ibanking!

Did that require a visit to the branch, to fill out additional paperwork?

Do you think there's any risk to doing this, as it possibly being viewed (mistakenly, even) as a violation of the very special nature of this account?

Thanks {to everyone!} for your interest and added information to this inquiry!!! smile.png

I DO know now, that (according to the advice I received here) that I STILL will need to get a letter from my US Embassy stating that I get monthly retirement benefits, for life... Does anyone know if the Embassy will draft this letter, or do I need to go in, with a letter that I'VE drafted, that they just notarize?

Thanks again,

Pawpcorn

It is not actually tied to your account. If you already have IBanking setup for another account you can have the direct deposit account on it. All you have to do is enter your bank book number and current balance to have it shown on IBanking. You can check your balance and see your transaction and print them out if you want to.

At the bottom of the online banking page you will see: Add another of your accounts or credit card to Bualuang iBanking

Click it and select add account online and fill in the blanks.

• Like 1

^^^^ What ubonjoe said. Also, with the Direct Deposit account in being able to be see and deposited to only when using ibanking there is no violation of the intent of the Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account. The intent is to ensure only the single owner of the account can accomplish a "withdrawal/transfer out" and that must be done in person to prove you are still living & breathing versus maybe someone getting ahold of your ibanking logon credentials while you are alive or dead (like even a spouse/family member) and accomplishing a transfer out to another account from the comfort of a keyboard/mobile phone.

You can have the bank add a new account to your ibanking when opening the account or add it like how ubonjoe explained above. Sometimes you may need to wait 3 to 5 business days after a new account has been opened to have it added to you ibanking....or at least that is what I have experienced when trying to add new account to my ibanking over the years. Sometimes it just wouldn't add the same day I opened the new account...I called Bangkok Bank customer service about the problem...and they said give it 3 to 5 business days after opening the new account and then trying adding it...and sure enough that worked. But other times with new accounts, I've been able to add same day.

• Like 1

Income Affidavit

The Thai government requires all U.S. citizens with Thai retirement visas to verify their income when they renew their retirement visa annually. Please print out this income affidavit (PDF 23KB) form to complete by hand or complete this income affidavit online then print it out. Please remember not to sign the form before you come to the American Citizen Services Unit. You will need to sign it in front of a designated officer.

Fee: $50

OMG thank you SO MUCH!!!!

Pawpcorn

^^^^ What ubonjoe said. Also, with the Direct Deposit account in being able to be see and deposited to only when using ibanking there is no violation of the intent of the Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account. The intent is to ensure only the single owner of the account can accomplish a "withdrawal/transfer out" and that must be done in person to prove you are still living & breathing versus maybe someone getting ahold of your ibanking logon credentials while you are alive or dead (like even a spouse/family member) and accomplishing a transfer out to another account from the comfort of a keyboard/mobile phone.

You can have the bank add a new account to your ibanking when opening the account or add it like how ubonjoe explained above. Sometimes you may need to wait 3 to 5 business days after a new account has been opened to have it added to you ibanking....or at least that is what I have experienced when trying to add new account to my ibanking over the years. Sometimes it just wouldn't add the same day I opened the new account...I called Bangkok Bank customer service about the problem...and they said give it 3 to 5 business days after opening the new account and then trying adding it...and sure enough that worked. But other times with new accounts, I've been able to add same day.

Thanks for the input...

I just logged into my iBanking account, and went to do that... and got this display:

2015_11_13_162028.jpg

...and thinking, since this IS a "Foreign Currency Deposit Account"... that there isn't an online option to add this particular account.

The download form is an account "Amendment" form, as attached.

Thanks,

Pawpcorn

iBanking_amendmentform.pdf

You click the first one for a direct deposit account. It is a savings account not a foreign currency account.

FANTASTIC!!!!

I just did what you advised, and it's been added to my iBanking account!!! YAY!!! thumbsup.gif

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Next time you or lopburi3 are in the Rama II area... DRINKS ARE ON ME!!!! drunk.gif

Major hugs, wai.gif

Pawpcorn

Edited by Pawpcorn

Hi, all,

Got my FIRST Social Security Administration deposit posted yesterday!!!! clap2.gif

Went to the branch, and immediately transferred it to my normal savings account...

ALSO, back home, filled out the "income_affidavit_retirees.pdf" form, AND made an appointment at the US Embassy in Bangkok next week, to have it notarized. (This, in preparation to the POSSIBLE application for conversion from my Non-Immigrant Type-0 with Work Permit passport, to the yearly Retirement Passport, depending on my near-future employment situation...)

Note that the funds appeared in Thai Baht, there was no detailing of any fees, and taking the amount literally (meaning discounting the possible/unknown fees applied) the money transferred at an exchange rate of 35.585 Baht to the US Dollar, which seems pretty reasonable, looking at http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=THB&view=1M

Thinking through my original OP (as titled) query a bit more... I can see the wisdom and practicality of immediately moving the funds out of that special "Direct Deposit Account"

If I were to die, ANY and ALL funds in that account would be inaccessible to my partner (due to the account requirement of an in-person withdrawal with a matching passport)... regardless of whether the funds were "earned" and deposited prior to my death...

AFTER (or prior to?) my passing away I want him to immediately be able to access my online account, and transfer all my online funds into his account, which he would be able to do, prior to the bank realizing I was dead.

...not being morbid, but at my age, you've got to plan for the inevitable...

and key to this is finding the "appropriate time" to hand him my passwords, and show him how to access my accounts, and transfer the money to his account.

... NOT on my "death-bed", lol, but hopefully "prior"...

tricky to find the right timing, since we could be taken out by a Thai "driver" any time we're traveling on the roads here, in the second-most-dangerous-to-drive-in-the-world country....

...I probably should create an instruction packet, sealed in an envelope, stashed away(?), or with some third party(?) ... or partial instructions with multiple third parties???

guess this makes it clear to the reader that it's hard for me to really trust anyone, anymore, 100%.

Having been betrayed both by my family members, then by my own flesh and blood son... makes it hard for me to ever trust anyone... anymore...

Thanks again for all the prior help, assistance and advice given here earlier! wai2.gif

Pawpcorn

Edited by Pawpcorn
  • Like 1

You should go to the bank and request they send you an SMS when the funds come in. It will show the amount sent in dollars minus the fee for NY, exchange rate, the amount in baht and how much the local fee was.

The fees for NY are here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

For here it is .25% with a minimum of 200 baht and a maximum of 500 baht.

• Like 2

You can not have on-line access to withdraw funds from that special deposit account so you must do that every time money is received to place in another account with such access if you want spouse to have access after death to transfer to another account.

As said the option is available to have free SMS of deposits and that will list exactly what was transferred - a transfer of mine today listed as ((name of payer)), THB 29,435.79 ([email protected] - THB 200.00) from abroad into ((account number)).

The fee taken was USD5 so actual payment was $831.20

• Like 2

You can not have on-line access to withdraw funds from that special deposit account so you must do that every time money is received to place in another account with such access if you want spouse to have access after death to transfer to another account.

As said the option is available to have free SMS of deposits and that will list exactly what was transferred - a transfer of mine today listed as ((name of payer)), THB 29,435.79 ([email protected] - THB 200.00) from abroad into ((account number)).

The fee taken was USD5 so actual payment was $831.20

You should go to the bank and request they send you an SMS when the funds come in. It will show the amount sent in dollars minus the fee for NY, exchange rate, the amount in baht and how much the local fee was.

The fees for NY are here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

For here it is .25% with a minimum of 200 baht and a maximum of 500 baht.

Thanks very much, guys!!!

I just went online (as you suggested) here http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/SMSAlerts/Page/SMSRemittanceAlert.aspx

...and did the phone-in registration process:

"Enroll via Bangkok Bank's Call Center - here's how:

1. Call Bualuang Phone (66) 0-2645-6655
  2. For Thai language, press 1. For English, press 2
  3. Press 3 to access the SMS Remittance Alert service
  4. Enter your 16-digit ATM, Be1st or credit card number
  5. Enter your 4-digit PIN
  6. Press 1 to register for the SMS Remittance Alert service
  7. Listen to the terms and conditions and press 1 if you agree
  8. Enter the 10-digit mobile phone number that you wish to use to receive the SMS
  9. Reenter the 10-digit mobile phone number that you wish to use to receive the SMS
  10. Press 1 to confirm, or press 2 to change your registered mobile phone number. To listen to the information again, press *. To cancel your registration, press 9

Special! If you enroll the SMS Remittance Alert today, you will receive an additional SMS that will be sent to you whenever funds are credited into your account after you have deposited a foreign draft or cheque."

... and I got an additional SMS that confirmed registration in the “SMS International Remittance Alert” service!

Thanks again for your fantastic help and advice; I was totally unaware that I could get an SMS with the financial details; that will be very handy, indeed...

Doing the recalculation (approximation) with the $10 USD fee, and the .25% fee in Thai Baht fee, I can see now that the transfer rate was closer to 35.83 B / USD, which actually makes better sense, looking at the recent exchange rates...

Take care,

Pawpcorn

In hindsight, I wonder if this above action actually will send me an SMS in relation to the Direct Deposit account? or would it just be for foreign funds deposited into the ONE (other) account actually linked to my ATM card????

UbonJoe DID say I'd have to go visit my bank to set up the SMS notification service.... unsure.png

Edited by Pawpcorn