Got married today at Keht Bangrak

expat0123

New poster here, as this is a very useful forum for latest information on requirements, I will share my experience.

First off I'm a long time resident in Thailand, about 15 years, most of that on non b and work permit related extensions. We've been together for 8+ years and actually we did the Buddhist monks ceremony about 6 years ago, just never got around to actually registering our marriage.

On our first attempt we went to the Phrakhanong registration office, but as I discovered they require a certified Thai translation of your passport, meaning both embassy stamps and Thai certification stamps, that would be another week of taxis and stamps. Unless you have this already, avoid Phrakhanong.

We then went to the Bangrak office (my experience is that if you cannot succeed one place, try somewhere else)

Here we only had one major issue, on the required embassy letter, they will not accept a Thai address, even if like in my case that is my permanent address, you must provide an address in your home country. I had the letter from embassy, translated, and certified already by the Thai authorities, so I expected having to do another run of new letter then translation and certification. But I went to the embassy and had my dad's address added to the already certified letter plus translation free of charge including the embassy stamps and signatures on both. I did not get the letter and translation re-certified by the Thai authorities.

Another strict requirement is that you must bring 2 witnesses, you could possibly team up with another couple on site, but I'd recommend you bring your own witnesses. In our case my wife have a friend whose dad is a taxi driver, so perfect for the occasion.

With this everything went well, however we left our place at 8:00am, arrived around 8:30am, filled in the forms and had our documents checked, we were not finished until 13:30 in the afternoon, that is a long time to sit around waiting. I'd say they took around 45 minutes per couple.

Cost is 40baht, but if you want the fancy folder for the certificates add 450baht. I think totally worth the extra.

Anyway hope it's helpful, and feel free to ask questions.

• Like 1

what about skip the marriage live together lot easier to walk away when it goes wrong which It normally dose after a period of time.biggrin.png

Sure, if that is your goal in life, go for it. As you get older and more experienced you might want to settle down with someone you trust, but it's a personal choice.

It is actually very interesting to spend the time waiting for your marriage to be registered observing other couples, I wouldn't claim any specific expertise, but I'm pretty sure I could pick out the couples who will last and the ones that definately wont with high certainty.

Two of my friends got married within the last 3-4 years. Both ending in divorce, but honestly both me and my now wife saw that comming, one was still receiving money from previous boyfriend and a gambling addict. The other was constantly on the lookout for someone with more money. These were not bargirls, but definitely gold diggers.

• Like 2

Information is the best way to prepare yourself for a wedding. I also went to Bangrack in Bangkok only to find out that my ambassy didn't point out that I needed the document with two names of witnesses and they also asked for an interpreter for me.

So my wife called the amphur in Pranburi and told her story and they made it clear that there would be no problem with our marriage as long as I brought the required papers. Two neighbours joined us at the appointed day (last monday 9 november) and so while I was talking to the other guy about my pond and fish, I got married!

You complained about waiting? I went with my wife before to the ministry of foreign affairs in order to get my papers legalized. The fast lane took four hours to wait and when we were called to the window, there were some mistakes made in the translation of the papers from my ambassy. One of the guys walking around there offered his help and for 300 baht per form, he would have it translated for us within an hour.

Such was the case, the papers were in order, but still we waited another three hours.

We were at the ministery from morning 7 to afternoon 5:30!

Just a tip for those who don't like waiting: if you do decide to get married or need any other document translated and legalized, go directly to the ministery of foreign affairs on the third floor and ask some people there. They know exactly how to make the right translations, they do it quickly, are not expensive and handle all your documents, including sending by EMS to your home. Just pay them upfront and give them your adress.

Once you have their adress, you can do it also the other way around: I'm going to send my marriage certificate to the guy who helped us and have it translated and legalized. Then he will send us a message or call my wife to say wenn we can come to pick it up. Then we will pay him and I can take the documents to my ambassy to have my marriage registered. No extra waiting needed.

• Like 1

Seems like they make it increasing difficult as time goes on .. We didn't need any witnesses - when it was time the registrar pointed out a girl sitting behind us waiting and grabbed an office worker as she walked past and we reciprocated and witnessed the adjacent table.

The translation at the ministry is a chore - we pleaded we needed to catch a flight and jumped to the front of the queue.

what about skip the marriage live together lot easier to walk away when it goes wrong which It normally dose after a period of time.biggrin.png

Sure, if that is your goal in life, go for it. As you get older and more experienced you might want to settle down with someone you trust, but it's a personal choice.

It is actually very interesting to spend the time waiting for your marriage to be registered observing other couples, I wouldn't claim any specific expertise, but I'm pretty sure I could pick out the couples who will last and the ones that definately wont with high certainty.

Two of my friends got married within the last 3-4 years. Both ending in divorce, but honestly both me and my now wife saw that comming, one was still receiving money from previous boyfriend and a gambling addict. The other was constantly on the lookout for someone with more money. These were not bargirls, but definitely gold diggers.

as I said and as you quite clearly pointed out only a matter of time, on a more serious note maybe its good for you to be married but personally I just don't see the point as its only a piece of unnecessary paper work which will come back to hunt you in the end.

I married at Bangrak just over a month ago and I can offer a couple of tips from my experience.

1. When doing my affirmation of freedom to marry at the British embassy I put a date and location of Bangrak as the time and place of marriage, as that's what the format asked for. The lady at the embassy suggested I change the date to a month and change Bangrak to Bangkok, (in other words, less specific) just in case we couldn't marry on the date or in the location in question. Actually the embassy was helpful and speedy.

2. Get your translations done before you get to the MFA. The translators there are more expensive because they hold the monopoly rights. And in our case the translator didn't want the work because she said she had enough translations to keep her busy for the day.

3. I did a lot of research about marrying, and Bangrak came up as the most farang-friendly district office, but when we turned up they said they only did eight foreigner weddings per day on a first-come first-served basis. I have never seen that mentioned online anywhere. And when the office opened up there were eight foreign-Thai couples already, and latecomers were sent away. We were the eighth couple and just got in, but had to wait from nine in the morning until ten minutes to five before we were sat in front of the Registrar. Every time a Thai-Thai couple came in to marry, they jumped to the front of the queue and we got pushed back regularly. That was almost eight hours sitting on hard plastic chairs. Because we were in front of the Registrar with ten minutes to closing time, he sped through the process in ten minutes flat!.

4. Another potential hiccup. Your wife-to-be (if a divorcee) is supposed to have been divorced for at least seven months before she can marry, in case she is carrying a previous husband's baby. Didn't apply in our case, but be aware they might ask your bride to provide medical proof she is not pregnant.

5. We had only one witness of our own, but borrowed a staff member. A very small tip was gratefully received.

For any one else taking the plunge, best of luck!

I married at Bangrak just over a month ago and I can offer a couple of tips from my experience.

1. When doing my affirmation of freedom to marry at the British embassy I put a date and location of Bangrak as the time and place of marriage, as that's what the format asked for. The lady at the embassy suggested I change the date to a month and change Bangrak to Bangkok, (in other words, less specific) just in case we couldn't marry on the date or in the location in question. Actually the embassy was helpful and speedy.

2. Get your translations done before you get to the MFA. The translators there are more expensive because they hold the monopoly rights. And in our case the translator didn't want the work because she said she had enough translations to keep her busy for the day.

3. I did a lot of research about marrying, and Bangrak came up as the most farang-friendly district office, but when we turned up they said they only did eight foreigner weddings per day on a first-come first-served basis. I have never seen that mentioned online anywhere. And when the office opened up there were eight foreign-Thai couples already, and latecomers were sent away. We were the eighth couple and just got in, but had to wait from nine in the morning until ten minutes to five before we were sat in front of the Registrar. Every time a Thai-Thai couple came in to marry, they jumped to the front of the queue and we got pushed back regularly. That was almost eight hours sitting on hard plastic chairs. Because we were in front of the Registrar with ten minutes to closing time, he sped through the process in ten minutes flat!.

4. Another potential hiccup. Your wife-to-be (if a divorcee) is supposed to have been divorced for at least seven months before she can marry, in case she is carrying a previous husband's baby. Didn't apply in our case, but be aware they might ask your bride to provide medical proof she is not pregnant.

5. We had only one witness of our own, but borrowed a staff member. A very small tip was gratefully received.

For any one else taking the plunge, best of luck!

You are right, we knew about the cue (a Thai - Cambodian couple mentioned it as we were waiting for our documents at the ministry for foreign affairs)...For us, our own amphur was the most friendly and least demanding office. Glad we married there. As I mentioned I had to send my Thai marriage certificate to the guy at the ministry. I could have picked it up yesterday afternoon, but as my embassy is closed for public on fridays, I will pick it up on sunday, spend one night in BKK and go early morning to my embassy. Then everything is done and I have my papers in english and legalized.

• 2 weeks later...

I got married earlier this year (March). We filed at the Laksi district Amphur. We also went in for the nice case for the marriage certificates. A relatively low cost for what seems to be a quality product.

Regarding witnesses we didn't have any so we had the two people working at the office act as witnesses for us and we paid them a small "Appreciation" for their "service". We read online ahead of time that it was par for the course to "donate" if you don't have witnesses for them to act as your witness. I can't recall how much I gave... 300 baht? Nothing crazy.

• 2 months later...

I do not have any foreign address as i never lived in the country of my citizenship, I do not have any foreign address, so I'm freaking out, my embassy papers are ready, don't tell me i have to do and pay all over again

Edited by huaikhwang

Ok Guys I want to give back to this community as you helped me a lot the last weeks in different things:

1. Come early early. It was a nice day, but we came at 6.30 and that was already late. They had 8 numbers only (yes they do 10 but I have no idea where the 2 others came from maybe paid some money?) and we were already 6. A lot of people got rejected and we waited till 11.40... so better come at 4.30 or 5.30 and get number 1.

2. Bring 2 witnesses, they do not need to be family or something. That information in the Internet is not true or Bangrak doesnt care.

3. U can get a nice marriage certificate for 490 THB or for 60 THB just some Paper... I chosed the nice red book.

4. You can copy in some shops around when u forgot for example the copies of the ID Cards of your witnesses. We did :D

5. Even if you number one plan to be there till 10 am.

6. If you German (and most of the people were ...) you dont need the extra stamp from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on your Embassy Letter.

If you have questions just ask me via PM :)

• Like 1

Ok Guys I want to give back to this community as you helped me a lot the last weeks in different things:

1. Come early early. It was a nice day, but we came at 6.30 and that was already late. They had 8 numbers only (yes they do 10 but I have no idea where the 2 others came from maybe paid some money?) and we were already 6. A lot of people got rejected and we waited till 11.40... so better come at 4.30 or 5.30 and get number 1.

2. Bring 2 witnesses, they do not need to be family or something. That information in the Internet is not true or Bangrak doesnt care.

3. U can get a nice marriage certificate for 490 THB or for 60 THB just some Paper... I chosed the nice red book.

4. You can copy in some shops around when u forgot for example the copies of the ID Cards of your witnesses. We did biggrin.png

5. Even if you number one plan to be there till 10 am.

6. If you German (and most of the people were ...) you dont need the extra stamp from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on your Embassy Letter.

If you have questions just ask me via PM smile.png

When I went there was some weird, Thai speaking Vietnamese woman who was getting married to a fat Thai man. She had some problems with her paperwork so they went out to resolve it, came back an hour or so later and got number 11? Hmm, so now they are doing more than 8 per day? We arrived at 7am but only got queue number 7. We finally walked out married at 11.30am after waiting until 11 before being seen.

The Vietnamese lady stared at our red marriage certificate when I was walking out. She was a weird one and her face looked like it was all plastic.

We brought 2 witnesses, one family member and one farang friend. Originally we were going to get my wife's work colleagues to come but it was easier this way bringing our own witnesses since you never know how long you'll be waiting and work colleagues can't necessarily spend the whole morning waiting around.

• 2 years later...

Here's what I learned when a friend married today:

Arrive around 6am to be reasonably sure of getting a queue ticket, and to have a chance of parking in the street if coming by car. A cheery official tells everyone what to do. You sit outside and have documents checked in detail. If OK, get a queue number (only 10 allowed) and start filling in forms. One of the witnesses must be a relative. Walk down the street for photocopies of everything. Enter the amphur office at 8am. Then about another 2 hours to actually get the wedding certificate.

Someone - NOT the bride - has to explain in English to the foreigner the relevant Thai marriage laws (7 points). Helpful "agents" will do it for 3,000 baht if required!

There is a 7-11 nearby and also a coffee shop with real food that opens at 7am.

Edited by orientalist