Duties and Remit of VFS Global Staff Bangkok

From all that I read on the UK Government web site there are a number of documents that are a 'must' when submitting an application for a visitors visa. I also understand that other supporting documents both from the applicant and the sponsor ( partner, husband) that the applicant believes they would wish to submit can be included. I also read that it is advisable to present the application in a professional and organized manner, such as alphabetical/numerical flags between different documents with an index to make it easier for the UKVI staff to process the application.

I therefore pose the question why do the staff of VFS Global Bangkok take it upon themselves to destroy the presentation of the application by removing the separation flags and handing back documents to the applicant saying that they are not required.

In addition to this I also understand that on occasions questions are put to the applicant which if the remit of VFS is merely to receive and act as a 'post office' for the UKVI, they have no right to be doing.

In the light that only the applicant is normally permitted to enter the VFS office and given the reluctance of Thais to confront others, if this happens what can be done.

Maybe I am totally wrong and VFS Global Bangkok have instructions from UKVI to sort out the wheat from the chaff and what applicant's want to submit is not the issue.

The above concern is as a result of 'verbatim' reports I have heard from others over the last few year or so.

we have had lots of problems with VFS as follows :

• Staff giving incorrect immigration advice which they should not be doing.
  • Staff advising clients they are applying under the wrong category.
  • VFS staff giving immigration advice

After several complaints we get a standard ' greetings of the day Mr Aslett " have you a vendetta against VFS because you constantly complain!

Whatever happens at VFS they will never admit its an error on their part never.

• Like 2

Yes, I also spotted this a while back. In previous years you submit the documentation you think is required. Of course there's the standard, obvious stuff, plus any additional supporting evidence the applicant feels will help the application. But in the last year they have been trying to hand us back documents and running through a checklist of what we should have. My wife had to insist that certain documents were submitted. This, as you say, is at loggerheads with the advice given by the Gov website.

Edited by kennypowers

It also works the other way round too.

Just last week, where a friend was submitting an application for a settlement visa, and presented just about everything but the kitchen sink - as per instructions, VFS made her go back and get other documents that were entirely unnecessary

Similarly for a new baby passport, VFS insisted the applicant return with further documents, which the Passport Office subsequently said were not needed.

The vfs is a con ,when my wife went there for a visa for her to visit ,we were married with child for 7 yearsand living here ,we went back for the visa and I had to wait outside and a man came up to me and said they not give her a visa but he can get for 12,000 baht ,I said no and 5 minutes later she came out with the documents in a sealed envelope.i opened it ,how did he know ,I appealed and 3 days before the case they changed there mind

As TVE says above, VFS staff should definitely not be offering any advice or comments on an application.

Their job, and the specific terms of their contract, is to act as a collection and forwarding service for applications and to return passports to the applicant after the decision has been made.

They certainly should not be giving an applicant's details to a commercial visa agent!

Although they cannot stop those sharks from hanging around outside their office.

Anyone who has experienced problems with VFS or their staff should complain; if enough people complain something may be done; if no one does, nothing will be done.

I wonder when their contract for Bangkok is dues for renewal?

Paul, are you complaining to, and getting the brush off from, VFS or to UKVI?

Edited by 7by7

Another thing is that they INSISTED I would have to go back to their office, if the UK Passport Office requested any further documentation for my child's UK passport, which would have meant yet more expense and flights from CM to BKK!

Just happens that the UK Passport Office DID request further information by email, so I called them up in the UK and was told by VERY helpful staff (that also spoke and understood English fluently!) that I could send the documents DIRECTLY to them in the UK and was no need at all to go back to VFS!!

Also, regarding presentation of documentation for a visitor visa for my wife, I INSISTED they send the WHOLE lot and not to take out any documents (including the A4 binder), my belief is that presentation and logically laid out documents makes life a whole LOT easier for processing staff in the UK, I know which pile of documents I would be picking up if I was working there, the easiest looking bundle of documents!

@ kihbigv - to correct any minor misunderstanding, UK visa applications from Thailand are processed in Bangkok not the UK, apart from that minor point your views about visa applications are spot on.

Unlike Passport Agency staff, who are likely to contact the applicant in the case of concern, UKVI staff are apparently more likely to refuse than query evidence.

It is the applicant that decides what goes in the application not VFS. My advice is to submit the application fully indexed, with pages numbered. Include a comment in any sponsors letter to confirm that every page from 1-XX has been submitted and that any missing pages have been removed without your permission and authority.

For the sake of the ECO make sure the key stuff is easily found (key documents etc) and any 'fluff' you think might be helpful goes in a section at the back. Numerous holiday snaps that are not really welcome, can be placed there for reference should the ECO choose!!!

The VFS website used to state that staff would check the application and advise the applicant. That seems to have been removed from their 'about us' page. They have a very limited role which includes checking basic documents are present (passports, application forms etc). They should not be handing documents back as not required nor shuffling any of the paperwork! If they do complain immediately.

http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/Thailand/frequently_asked_questions.html

If the application is not accepted in full then complete the online form:

https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/_static/ukvi-international-complaints.html

The returned documents might just be the ones needed to prevent a refusal!

Better surely to have to many unneeded documents rather than not have enough as in 1 wasted trip.

No!

It is surely better to supply EXACTLY what is required for the appropriate visa application. That helps everybody and represents a consistent approach.

Better surely to have to many unneeded documents rather than not have enough as in 1 wasted trip.

No!

It is surely better to supply EXACTLY what is required for the appropriate visa application. That helps everybody and represents a consistent approach.

There is no exact requirement. VFS used to publish a checklist that had to be submitted with the application but that was taken down and the onus was put on the applicant to provide evidence to support the application.

Copy of the checklist they used to use for spouse on family visit.

VisitSpouseOfUKCitizen(BasedInThailand).pdf

• Like 1

No!

There is no exact requirement. VFS used to publish a checklist that had to be submitted with the application but that was taken down and the onus was put on the applicant to provide evidence to support the application.

attachicon.gifVisitSpouseOfUKCitizen(BasedInThailand).pdf

I quite like that check list.

I think, in fairness, the gov.uk website is fairly clear regarding what is required. At the end of the day it is not VFS making the decision and there is evidence of erroneous advice/information from them.

https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/tourist-short-stay-visas

Indeed.

The problem with that old VFS checklist was that not all documents on it were relevant to all applicants, and some documents relevant to some applicants were not on the list!

When it was in use we had quite a few posts from people complaining that VFS had refused to accept their application because they did not have one or more documents on that list; even though the missing documents were not relevant to their application. Most of those who stood their ground and insisted that VFS forward the application to the embassy had their visa issued.

Rather than using a checklist which is some years old, I recommend Visitor: supporting documents guide from UKVI.

Plus, of course, the information contained in the UKVI page Standard Visitor visa.

• Like 2

No!

I quite like that check list.

I think, in fairness, the gov.uk website is fairly clear regarding what is required. At the end of the day it is not VFS making the decision and there is evidence of erroneous advice/information from them.

https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/tourist-short-stay-visas

I made no comment regarding the checklist, just an example of how they used to do things. The one I posted was for a particular visa and not a general checklist. There is a lot of opinion from people that have had little contact with VFS so views differ. I have done 6 visas involving VFS and the way they work can vary tremendously. On the first UK application my wife was questioned for about 20 minutes regarding the visit to the UK, better not use the word interview, and then again for about the length of time on the fourth application. Questions were similar and about the same people listed on the 3 previous applications. No questions asked on the second and third applications. There has never been and question mark over documents, possibly because I list all supporting documents on the application itself. Other than on the very first application she has never been asked to show any originals.

I have to say that the fourth application was handled extremely quickly. My wife came out of VFS early afternoon on a Monday, the visa was dated Wednesday and we had it back by EMS on the Thursday. When her passport came back, not only did it include the previous passports but nearly all the documents from the application, first time that had happened. Can't quite remember what they kept, think it was her passport, my passport and my sponsor letter.

• Like 1

we have had lots of problems with VFS as follows :

• Staff giving incorrect immigration advice which they should not be doing.
  • Staff advising clients they are applying under the wrong category.
  • VFS staff giving immigration advice

After several complaints we get a standard ' greetings of the day Mr Aslett " have you a vendetta against VFS because you constantly complain!

Whatever happens at VFS they will never admit its an error on their part never.

How right you are.

When we did the Canadian visa it was done online and went through without a problem. We were then told to send the passport to VFS for processing. This is when it got problematic. There was no information on payment or how to make it. VFS rung up when they received the passport and said we had to make a bank transfer for a certain amount. I asked for am email and it turned out they had included things that we didn't want. I made a bank transfer for the visa to be processed and sent VFS the transaction details. A few days later they phoned up and said that they hadn't received the payment, this was late in the afternoon the day before the Songkran holiday, not a lot could be done all I knew was the money had left my account.

Straight after the holiday they rang up again and said the same thing, if it had been delay by the holiday it may take a day to get sorted. They following day, the same thing, I told them they had the transaction details and if they didn't get their bank to sort it I would report the matter to the embassy. Ten minutes later they said payment had been received and blamed it on my bank. I suspect that they had not bothered with the transaction number and only checked for my wife's name and ignored mine.

When we had this problem I asked that they communicate by email but they were very reluctant. The few emails I did get showed a very poor standard in written English.

Edited by sandyf

Indeed.

The problem with that old VFS checklist was that not all documents on it were relevant to all applicants, and some documents relevant to some applicants were not on the list!

When it was in use we had quite a few posts from people complaining that VFS had refused to accept their application because they did not have one or more documents on that list; even though the missing documents were not relevant to their application. Most of those who stood their ground and insisted that VFS forward the application to the embassy had their visa issued.

Rather than using a checklist which is some years old, I recommend Visitor: supporting documents guide from UKVI.

Plus, of course, the information contained in the UKVI page Standard Visitor visa.

I like that supporting documents guide and the only issue I have, from a practical point of view, is the 'strong recommendation' to provide a birth certificate.

It seems pointless to me; if a child is traveling with a parent they will have a passport. To obtain a passport they will have supplied a birth certificate (or an ID card that would have required sight of a birth certificate.).

No!

Just jumping in here to say that this checklist is still in use. My wife got a visa last month and she was asked to tick off the items with the member of staff receiving her application. Of course, as always, she submitted other supporting documentation too.