Phuket says farewell to long-term expat Rodney Knight

webfact

Phuket says farewell to long-term expat Rodney Knight
The Phuket News

1447386496_1-org.jpg
Rodney Knight was known as 'very likeable extrovert, a little crazy, but with some great marketing ideas'.

PHUKET: -- Funeral services for long-term Phuket expat RodneyKnight will be held at Wat Thepkrasattri in Thalang tomorrow (Nov 14).

Mr Knight, who was also a British and New Zealand dual national, was found dead in his Karon hotel room by room service staff on November 1. (See story here.)

“Monks will begin their mass from about midday or 12:30 and will continue until 1pm, when the cremation will take place,” said friend Peter Notley.

“All friends and acquaintances welcome,” he added.

Mr Knight was an active and successful real-estate agent in Queensland for many years,” said Mr Notely.

“I met him when he came to Phuket to work for Raimon Land on The Heights project nearly six years ago,” he said.

“Rod was a very likeable extrovert, a little crazy, but with some great marketing ideas. In his spare time he taught English in several Phuket locations, very often for free. He was also a great handyman and loved cycling, including some mega-expeditions around Phang Nga and Krabi with a bunch of expat cyclists.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-says-farewell-to-long-term-expat-rodney-knight-54948.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-13

“Possibly ill-advisedly, he nipped over to his beloved Phuket for the Vegetarian Festival, in which he’d often helped out by serving food in various temples. "

On the other hand he may have seen the writing on the wall and decided he wanted to be in a place he loved as opposed to being poked and prodded by an endless stream of doctors in some sterile hospital.

If that's a current photo, he looks very young to have endured all that he did and to have it ended so soon.

A long term expatriate living in a hotel room all those years?

RIP

Read the entire article ...

Possibly ill-advisedly, he nipped over to his beloved Phuket for the Vegetarian Festival, in which hed often helped out by serving food in various temples. He also loved Kata beach and was relaxing there, prior to returning to Brisbane for more treatment, when he died."

So they found some drugs and no sign of a struggle.

Why aren't the TVF CSI all over this demanding all the usual sorts of nonsense and accusing the Thai cops of incompetence or a cover upl?

Where was the wife/girlfriend/katoey?

Why was the balcony rail so low?

Don't go to Thailand .it's too dangerous...they will kill you...your just a lowlife farang...just bring your money...that's all they want

Rant over.

RIP to the bloke and best wishes to his family and relations...I'm sure they understand.

After seeing a couple of posts here, I would like to re-post gomangosteen's post from the original thread about this as it's very good, and should hopefully clear things up for speculative posters who might have missed it. I hope the re-post is o.k. with the mods:

gomangosteen:

This is a good friend of ours

Chemo and heart surgery since 2008, six weeks in Brisbane hospital this year July August, and headed back to Phuket to the Vegetarian Festival last month, an event he'd enjoyed each year. Last year, somehow he was serving noodles each night, Thai with a Queensland twang

We met at Thai language lessons 2009, common interests in surflifesaving, swimming. Spare time spent time sea kayaking off Nai Harn, snorkeling, swimming, boat trips and bus trips with me and my partner. A cup of tea in the company of the latest adopted soi dog, another travel plan, 'let's kayak around Phuket', always fun

Never gave up. Outlived every doctor's expectation.

Not many years back, birthday theme was 50 not out

My partner refers to him as 'crazy' in a good way, needed 'one more adventure'. Last Xmas, back to NZ to visit his parents, his goal was to make it to Anzac Day, and attend the ceremony at Kanchanaburi. He got there, paid his respects to a relative there . After that, cut short a trip to Myanmar, health, back to Brisbane for 6 weeks hospital, chemo and surgery. made it back to Phuket for vege fest, last email received was on Friday, about going to see Cirq du Soleil show in Singapore on the 13th before heading back to family in Oz, and intending to be back in NZ in February

This has not been easy to write

Genuinely one of the good guys

RIP and forever remembered, we'll miss you