Thais ranked among world's most generous people

webfact

Jai dee: Thais ranked among world's most generous people
By Coconuts Bangkok

thai_people_generous.jpg
Photo: Ian Fuller

BANGKOK: -- Thailand ranked number 19 in the World Giving Index 2015 by Charities Aid Foundation, which was released this week.

The index measures three types of generosity: donating to charity, helping strangers, and volunteering. Thailand rose two spots from last year in the generosity index which surveyed over 150,000 people from 145 countries.

Thailand is renowned for donating. The index found that 87 percent of Thai people donate to charity, the second largest percentage in the world after Myanmar (92 percent).

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/13/jai-dee-thais-ranked-among-worlds-most-generous-people

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-13

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I will probably be shot down for this but is the giving of donations in Myanmar and Thailand not out of generosity or for altruistic reasons, but rather for self serving purposes, i.e. making merit for themselves.

Good for them. I'm sure someone here will find a way to put a negative spin on this, though.

You said it. I did it. But I believe it a valid question.

Edited by GarryP

"Only 44 percent of Thais help strangers, and only 14 percent do volunteer work."

Show this to some of the bar girls and jet ski scammers and see if they are embarrassed for their lack of generosity.

Edited by jaltsc

I know I will probably be shot down for this but is the giving of donations in Myanmar and Thailand not out of generosity or for altruistic reasons, but rather for self serving purposes, i.e. making merit for themselves.

Does it matter?

If your faith is one of the Western religions, don't you also donate money to your local church ??

Stop bashing the country where you live and work. I've been in Thailand for over 10 years. Great people !

Making merit or human kindness I have witnessed many a so called farang in difficulties whom without a second thought has been offered kindness and support with the likes of free rides home, offers of paying bus/bar bills and more, so yes admire you people of Thailand I do.

I was going to say the exact same thing Garry. However, some of the most truly altruistic people Ive ever met have come from Thailand.

My Mother in Law springs to mind.

Does it matter?

If your faith is one of the Western religions, don't you also donate money to your local church ??

Stop bashing the country where you live and work. I've been in Thailand for over 10 years. Great people !

I was not bashing. I was asking a question. I am atheist if you must know. I rarely donate but when I do it is because I want to help, not because it will serve me well in any future incarnation - if I believed in that. In other words I am not doing it to get something in return. I believe that if there were not so much emphasis made on making merit, "generosity" would be sorely lacking.

As to "Does it matter?", to the recipients it should not matter one bit. But for the donors I am just interested in their motivation.

I was going to say the exact same thing Garry. However, some of the most truly altruistic people Ive ever met have come from Thailand.

My Mother in Law springs to mind.

I agree with you. It does not apply across the board. There are some really fine people here.

Does it matter?

Sure it does!

Does it matter?

Sure it does!

Why?

Yes the Thai people are in general generous - especially through temples but also various charity organizations. This also goes for international causes such as the Japanese tsunami and the Nepalese earthquake.

What I would like to know is how generous the Thai government(s) are doing - how much is annually donated to foreign aid?

Wikipedia says that since 2002, Thailand is no longer an Economic aid recipient. Instead, Thailand contributed $60 million in economic aid to the neighboring countries in 2005, but Inside Gov says the U.S. Government alone gave a total of $77,211,957 to Thailand in 2012.

So the Thais themselves are generous but are the Thai government(s) have trouble opening the wallet?

Edited by skildpadden

Does it matter?

Sure it does!

Why?

Others have pointed this out already: if I am banging my own drum for being "generous" in terms of "donating money to good courses", shouldn't it be, that the money given, is given because of an urge to help?

If it is given, so I get something back (as in merit for my next life- circle) it is not really "donating" than rather more "buying"!

Donating to a good course, has to be done out of selfless motives!

Most Thais don't do that!

I said most- not all!

And yes: I received acts of selfless help from Thai- people myself!

Still- the actions of a few, do not make the whole population "the world's most generous"!

Does it matter?

I was not bashing. I was asking a question. I am atheist if you must know. I rarely donate but when I do it is because I want to help, not because it will serve me well in any future incarnation - if I believed in that. In other words I am not doing it to get something in return. I believe that if there were not so much emphasis made on making merit, "generosity" would be sorely lacking.

As to "Does it matter?", to the recipients it should not matter one bit. But for the donors I am just interested in their motivation.

Good question GarryP. This has bothered thinking people for centuries. Some say that giving always entails taking (something for yourself). If I want to help someone, and I give to him, then my want is driven by self-interest. How is this manifest? I may feel gratified in some way, or simply pleased to have helped in some way. This is just as much self-interested as it is interested in helping another. The so-called altruistic gift may not be so different from the donation that confers merit on the giver.

This same question could be asked of everyone who donates money, or time, or helps others. Is giving because it makes you feel good about yourself any different that merit making?

Let me one of the first Throatwobbler, donating to charity is giving something freely, not a Thai, they either want or demand something in return. Mind you I will take this report with a grain of salt as I do with all reports, polls or claims by Thais.

The claim report is not done by Thais. Also, my wife and many of her friends and family donate very regularly and I've never seen nor heard of them asking anything in return.