USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

Oops. That would be a very misdirected letter.

Not trying to incite a political debate, but one thing about the U.S. system I don't get is why social security minimum claiming age is UNDER medicare age. Well I know the s.s. age changes with when you were born, but for me it's three years under.

With so many older people, such as 55 plus, being pushed out of careers and then many with dim prospects of finding work after that, that gap between S.S. age and Medicare age seems almost insidious.

As we all know there are millions of older Americans but still under 65 that are permanently out of the work force and haven't been counted in "unemployment" statistics for years. It's funny that baby boomers haven't made an issue about this.

Actually full retirement age for social security is above that of Medicare (66 vs 65 - depending on the year one was born of course). You can begin social security at a significantly lesser amount earlier of course, as I am sure you already know.

At what age one draws social security is a personal, financial and mathematical decision, and if your spouse makes less than you do and outlives you, that decision will impact that spouse for life as well.

I have run the numbers and for us, at least, it makes sense to wait until at least full retirement age for me, and probably beyond before drawing social security.

And from the bigger picture perspective, which is the basis for your original question, there continues to be ongoing debates on how best to fund social security going forward. To modify that equation by increasing benefits would exacerbate that problem.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Call it what you like (or already did) one of the key elements for me if I ever returned full-time to the USA would be to live in a state where I could light up a joint whenever I liked and not be worried about breaking the law. I lived in Colorado for 5 years in the 1980's and where recreational pot is now legal but my last winter there, when for several weeks it never rose above 0 degrees F (F -- not C), convinced me to move as soon as I could.

Florida had a 2014 ballot initiative to legalize marijuana that fell narrowly short and it will most likely be again on the 2016 ballot.

BTW when I said Arkansas which has expanded Medicaid I was not thinking of Little Rock but something just across the Mississippi River border from Memphis, TN, which is a far more happening place in a myriad of aspects.

Look for several states to turn green next November. Looks like CA, NV and NY are VERY likely.

I think FL is only looking to pass medical pot but I dont think it is very hard to qualify for a card.

According to this, John Gilbert, the prime backer of the initiative, would put 2 separate initiatives on the 2016 Florida ballot -- one for medicinal and one for recreational. But as I would be well into Medicare age before I would ever relocate (if ever) I would most likely not have a problem getting a doctor's approval.

https://ballotpedia.org/Florida_Right_to_Medical_Marijuana_Initiative_(2016)

BTW I most certainly do not smoke pot while in Thailand. Ever.

Edited by JLCrab

Rochester New York actually sounds like it has a lot to offer but I don't know if I could deal with the winters. I also like that it's striking distance to Toronto.

The times in my life I have lived in very cold climates (totaling about six years) I remember often thinking while freezing, WHY did I choose to do this to myself?!?

Edited by Jingthing

This is me (blurred) swimming November 2014 in one of the 400 million liter per day natural springs near Gainesville, FL. Especially if you like to swim, there may be no more beautiful spot on the planet

FL_Springs3.jpg

Gainesville does sounds cool.

No gators in there?

attachicon.gifgat.jpg

There are probably more now than when I used to snorkel there in the early eighties. Gainesvile was cool then. I strongly agree with JL.

That should be a concern in general.

If I'm reading your posts right, then qualifying for Expanded Medicaid is the driving force here, and what makes Expanded Medicaid work for you is the fact that assets aren't included in determining your eligibility, only income.

That's actually quite a loophole, and some day some enterprising reporter is going to find a guy (not you!) living in a big beachfront house with a million dollar inheritance who's on Expanded Medicaid. Even Obama couldn't justify that. Goodbye loophole.

Of course I'm not saying that will happen, but it seems to me you have to keep the possibility in mind, and have a back-up if it does. Things that are too good to be true rarely last.

Sure thing. Backup is going broke and/or dying. Just keeping it real.

BTW, bingo, you're assumption is correct, I haven't inherited a million dollars. Drats!

Do you really think many people with a million in liquid assets would even apply for expanded Medicaid? I don't. They could easily afford the private insurance,

Actually the "driving force" to repatriate isn't expanded Medicaid, but it seems like something I will need very much if I do repatriate (before age 65), so it seems wise to go to a place where it's available and silly to choose a place that doesn't.

So if West Memphis, Arkansas had it and Memphis, Tennessee didn't, I would obviously choose West Memphis.

This does add weight to the idea of moving to a solid blue state like New York which is less likely to dump expanded Medicaid than southern states.

So yes Arizona and Nevada would be risky too, but I know for sure Arkansas is actively in the process of dumping it.

Or maybe renting instead and keeping location options open before age 65.

Could be time to look at trailers ... tongue.png

Maybe start a commercial restaurant blog: Trailer Trash Foodie.

Just joking. Or am I?

Edited by Jingthing

This article is kind of relevant and touches on some states I've been considering. Generally very unsafe ones.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/arizona-is-one-of-the-most-dangerous-states-but-at-least-we-beat-out-mississippi-7848087

With the gun culture going strong here in the desert, it's not hard to believe that Arizona is ranked the eighth most dangerous state in the country. But there's more to it than gun violence.
To calculate the measure of which states are most dangerous, the data crunchers at the personal finance website WalletHub analyzed 20 metrics, including workplace accidents, traffic fatalities, crime rates, and natural disasters.
Wallethub also analyzed the percentage of people who don't have health insurance, the unemployment rate, and the foreclosure rate to determine each state's financial security. While it may seem a counter-intuitive measure to include in a discussion of safety, research shows that people who are socially and economically disadvantaged run at least twice the risk of serious illness and premature death than those who are more financially stable.

Sure thing. Backup is going broke and/or dying. Just keeping it real.

BTW, bingo, you're assumption is correct, I haven't inherited a million dollars. Drats!

Do you really think many people with a million in liquid assets would even apply for expanded Medicaid? I don't. They could easily afford the private insurance,

Actually the "driving force" to repatriate isn't expanded Medicaid, but it seems like something I will need very much if I do repatriate (before age 65), so it seems wise to go to a place where it's available and silly to choose a place that doesn't.

So if West Memphis, Arkansas had it and Memphis, Tennessee didn't, I would obviously choose West Memphis.

This does add weight to the idea of moving to a solid blue state like New York which is less likely to dump expanded Medicaid than southern states.

So yes Arizona and Nevada would be risky too, but I know for sure Arkansas is actively in the process of dumping it.

Or maybe renting instead and keeping location options open before age 65.

Could be time to look at trailers ... tongue.png

Maybe start a commercial restaurant blog: Trailer Trash Foodie.

Just joking. Or am I?

I think the Obamacare mandates, including expanded Medicaid, have become so disparate, unfair in application and unpopular, that states will begin to craft their own solutions to healthcare and as always it will be the federal government that will be playing catch up to the will of the populace. Here's an example:

https://www.healthcare-now.org/blog/new-york-assembly-passes-universal-healthcare-legislation/

I think Vermont tried this previously with poor results, which of course makes sense if you're asking people to pay twice, both for state funded and federal funded programs.

Maybe.

Some cynics think Obamacare was intentionally designed to fail so that there would be a wellspring of public support to just go all the way into something sensible ... actual nationalized health care like more sensible western nations.

I don't believe that, either that was intentional or the result would be that good.

There's another angle to this that might relate to my situation, and many others.

If you do have assets other than houses and cars, if you end up with huge hospital debts, or perhaps other debts as well, I think generally your house and car cannot be touched. I don't they can go after IRA accounts either. Not sure about that.

So its arguably safer to put cash into housing if you might be vulnerable to such debts.

BTW, back more to the topic, I think New Mexico is considered more "liberal" than Arizona and Nevada. I don't hate Albuquerque ... love that Southwestern food actually.

Edited by Jingthing

Maybe.

Some cynics think Obamacare was intentionally designed to fail so that there would be a wellspring of public support to just go all the way into something sensible ... actual nationalized health care like more sensible western nations.

I don't believe that, either that was intentional or the result would be that good.

There's another angle to this that might relate to my situation, and many others.

If you do have assets other than houses and cars, if you end up with huge hospital debts, or perhaps other debts as well, I think generally your house and car cannot be touched. I don't they can go after IRA accounts either. Not sure about that.

So its arguably safer to put cash into housing if you might be vulnerable to such debts.

BTW, back more to the topic, I think New Mexico is considered more "liberal" than Arizona and Nevada. I don't hate Albuquerque ... love that Southwestern food actually.

New Mexico is a mixed bag. Eastern NM is pretty much unlivable. Similar to Texas panhandle. Large regions of Indian nations which brings with it its own dysfunction. Albuquerque is very neighborhood dependant. Santa Fe and Las Vegas need more middle class. Too many rich, too many poor.

A town I like, which is probably way to small for you, is Chama near the northern border. I could live their seasonally. Having a "western" sensibility really helps when living out that way.

Edited by lannarebirth

Should have gone with a Canadian system. Lower cost overall and covers all. But probably not for another 100 years.

Medicare is popular though.

The Canadian system was good in years past, but going downhill fast. Reason - ageing population and funding shortfalls.

Back in the day it was top notch, but the waiting lists are growing, and people with the means are opting for a split system i.e. waiting times now for an MRI can be 6 months.

I needed a simple non-invasive procedure, and waited over 6 months for treatment. Reason - they had one Doctor in Vancouver who did it, and he was on Vacation !! Find another ?? Sorry, he is the guy we use.

Edited by canthai55

Looked into the politics of the Medicaid expansion in Nevada and I have learned it is a solid program there and no current action to abandon it there. My very superficial take is that Arizona might be more iffy, but really not sure.

Another cost/choice issue for me is public transportation.

As mentioned before only in very high cost cities such as San Francisco or cold cities like Chicago is it really practical or even possible to exist without a car. But those places are out for my budget.

I also like walking around, within reason.

Albuquerque seems really poor with public transportation. Phoenix has begun a system and I think some neighborhoods have good access to it. Not clear yet on Vegas. Often housing near such transport gets expensive.

Practically perhaps a budget small car but living in a place with some public transportation access I could use for many things is a more realistic goal. Or maybe not. I think the cheapest housing will likely have no realistic access.

Of course an ideal would be mild (or hot) weather, no need for a car at all, low cost housing, in a state with expanded Medicaid. Not really seeing anything like that.

Anyway, Albuquerque, Vegas (perhaps Henderson suburb), and Phoenix seem top of the list and it's hard to figure which would be best. Have only been to Albuquerque.

Reading some of the "reviews" from residents online is pretty hilarious. Sometimes you can get their irrational biases but it's really hard to know until you live in a place yourself and of course the specifics of the situation you land in.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Hey Jing. I remember we discussed this subject nearly to death about two years ago ! I'm back in BKK after about a year in Buenos Aires. I've lived in Buenos Aires about eight out of the past ten years. I'm back here now to see friends, eat better food and lounge. I'll be moving on in about six months. Buenos Aires has many positives but it is not as cheap as many would think. Really tough inflation. They just elected a new president but he has a mess to deal with. Like Thailand corrupt from top to bottom.

I think a lot about returning to the states but on my infrequent visits back I am always given pause. I retired at 62 a year ago and while the SS money is nice there is no Medicare until 65 as you well know. At my age a decent policy in the US that meets Obamacare criteria would run a minimum of $600US a month. I ain't paying that. I paid a bit less than $300US a month for very good health insurance in Argentina. I didn't catch your age in the other posts but were I you I would try to hold out until 65. Battling life in the states is hard enough but trying to negotiate the healthcare system when you are the low man on the totem pole with Medicaid coverage would likely be a nightmare. Why put yourself in that position if you can help it ?

As for where to live I thought Mencken had some good ideas. If I go back at 65 I'd look at New Orleans because I love the vibe there or for a more calm life the east coast of Florida north of West Palm Beach. Jupiter, Vero and Port St. Lucie. Some unspoiled beaches, laid back and spring training baseball.

But hey, its the USA, and what an <deleted> mess it is in so many ways.

I totally agree, there are a lot of serious downsides to repatriating, but as I said in the OP, I have may have little choice.

My medical conditions are not complicated. Just need occasional screening and multiple medications for chronic conditions (going on decades). I suppose some people might be assuming I have HIV. Nope. Just the typical older guy stuff. Nothing exotic. I don't see why this would be a major problem on Medicaid.

I didn't get into this before, but one of the reasons Thailand attracted me in the first place was the easy access to the meds I need, cheap and no need for a scrip. Americans know how different it is there, you need a scrip so you have to visit and pay for doctors often, and the retail med prices are absurd.

Now one thing I should know about more but I think even in non Medicaid expanded states regular insurance is deeply subsidized if you're low income. I suppose I need to learn about that actual cost. My impression is that it was still quite high even subsidized and large amounts before there is any benefit. In other words, pay the monthly premium and then still pay 10K annually first before any benefit. For people whining about the Canadian system, sorry, I can't imagine that it could be worse than the American system.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I can't imagine that it could be worse than the American system.

You can't? The best doctors in the world are in the U.S.A., and people who can afford the best travel to the U.S.A. for medical care. So, we are still waiting for your explanation of how or why you think "Expanded Medicaid" will cover someone with an income of any amount, assets, and basically(as you describe it) non-life threatening conditions(at that moment of asking for taxpayer funded medical care).

We are waiting, have been since the beginning of this good discussion...who pays for it Jingthing?

And, regarding Gainesville, Florida, the water in those springs surround it is too cold for alligators is why you don't read about them in same. However, it gets boring FYI and others information. Cold water, nice atmosphere, but no beer allowed and no women available.

I can't imagine that it could be worse than the American system.

You can't? The best doctors in the world are in the U.S.A., and people who can afford the best travel to the U.S.A. for medical care. So, we are still waiting for your explanation of how or why you think "Expanded Medicaid" will cover someone with an income of any amount, assets, and basically(as you describe it) non-life threatening conditions(at that moment of asking for taxpayer funded medical care).

We are waiting, have been since the beginning of this good discussion...who pays for it Jingthing?

And, regarding Gainesville, Florida, the water in those springs surround it is too cold for alligators is why you don't read about them in same. However, it gets boring FYI and others information. Cold water, nice atmosphere, but no beer allowed and no women available.

There it is, the right wing troll baiting.

If you wish citizens to die for lack of basic medical care, that's your business, but that doesn't interest me. Without my meds, I would die. They are cheap meds in Thailand. One is asthma. Have you tried not breathing for a few minutes? It is terrifying and kills quickly. I have said I'm willing to work in the U.S. but realistically I am not employable and even if I was, a lot of places offer no medical coverage. So you can guilt trip me till the cows come home.

Expanded medicaid in states which have it indeed does include anyone with an income somewhat above poverty level, or no income. That is mostly working poor people and also older people who are no longer employable. It is not asset based. It is income based. Personally. if I buy housing for cash, my assets wouldn't be impressive anyway, and you have to live SOMEWHERE, right ? I think a good portion of older Americans, including poor ones, do own their housing ... so if I "trade" my owned housing in Thailand to something owned in the U.S., then I'd be in that common boat.

Yes I did pay lots of taxes for a lot of years in high tax states ... but no, I am not paying them now. Things change.

This is a political issue. Civilized nations recognize all their citizens deserve basic health care. Duh!

What annoys me about your post, which I consider a very rude TROLL post, which I explicitly didn't welcome in my OP, is that this thread getting hijacked into the boring American politics thing, right wing vs. left wing, poor people don't deserve health care, will mean, sooner or later that this thread will get closed. So: THANKS FOR NOTHING.

I've got a practical problem and millions of Americans have similar problems. If I was a right winger and didn't support universal health care, I would have the same problem.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I totally agree, there are a lot of serious downsides to repatriating, but as I said in the OP, I have may have little choice.

My medical conditions are not complicated. Just need occasional screening and multiple medications for chronic conditions (going on decades). I suppose some people might be assuming I have HIV. Nope. Just the typical older guy stuff. Nothing exotic. I don't see why this would be a major problem on Medicaid.

I didn't get into this before, but one of the reasons Thailand attracted me in the first place was the easy access to the meds I need, cheap and no need for a scrip. Americans know how different it is there, you need a scrip so you have to visit and pay for doctors often, and the retail med prices are absurd.

Now one thing I should know about more but I think even in non Medicaid expanded states regular insurance is deeply subsidized if you're low income. I suppose I need to learn about that actual cost. My impression is that it was still quite high even subsidized and large amounts before there is any benefit. In other words, pay the monthly premium and then still pay 10K annually first before any benefit. For people whining about the Canadian system, sorry, I can't imagine that it could be worse than the American system.

This drives me nuts and is another reason why just on principle, not to mention the money involved, I'd dread returning to the states. It is a racket that is not going to end.

• Like 1

This drives me nuts and is another reason why just on principle, not to mention the money involved, I'd dread returning to the states. It is a racket that is not going to end.

Very true. In some ways, I think it is worse now. Obamacare was largely a welfare program for big pharma and big hospital, so if you don't have a coverage card of some kind, including expanded Medicaid, you're sheit out of luck!

Back to the topic, I really do need multiple medications (chronically) and I have for decades now, and that IS a matter of life and death for me. So sorry if that offends right wing ideologues that I seek ways to keep staying alive. Excuse me! rolleyes.gif

Repatriating to the U.S. if I do under age 65, then the most likely way I can see to assure getting these meds is through expanded Medicaid. Sure getting a good job that includes insurance would work too, but that seems highly unlikely.

Yes also I could spend down to no money and be homeless with no food and pay full retail for health care ... another way to end up dead. Will try to avoid that option, thank you very much, if that's OK with you. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1