The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no such limit.

Is that still an "is" or should it be a "was"?  Is the new (2017) limit TWO visas per year?

I'm an American with a Thai relative who works as an officer for customs and immigration.  She confirmed to me the report that Thailand has quietly slipped in a new law regarding visas.  Due to language barrier, I don't have the full details.  The only word about it in the press appeared in the Laotian Times, which in turn referenced an official Thai memo (for those who can read Thai, see links below), and I was taking that with a goodly grain of salt until I spoke with the official.  Thailand appears to be tightening the borders, starting with this law that took effect yesterday, January 1, 2017.

http://www.laotiantimes.com/2016/12/20/thai-visas/

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2559/A/100/1.PDF

As I am new here, and this forum seems averse to new topics getting started, I've posted this here.  However, if a moderator feels this should be its own topic, feel free to move it.

24 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Is that still an "is" or should it be a "was"?  Is the new (2017) limit TWO visas per year?

I'm an American with a Thai relative who works as an officer for customs and immigration.  She confirmed to me the report that Thailand has quietly slipped in a new law regarding visas.  Due to language barrier, I don't have the full details.  The only word about it in the press appeared in the Laotian Times, which in turn referenced an official Thai memo (for those who can read Thai, see links below), and I was taking that with a goodly grain of salt until I spoke with the official.  Thailand appears to be tightening the borders, starting with this law that took effect yesterday, January 1, 2017.

http://www.laotiantimes.com/2016/12/20/thai-visas/

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2559/A/100/1.PDF

As I am new here, and this forum seems averse to new topics getting started, I've posted this here.  However, if a moderator feels this should be its own topic, feel free to move it.

It is for visa exempt entries not visas, Topic here.

• Like 1

our experience in Ban Laem since the implementation of new rule for visa exempt entries.

Laotian get unlimited entries, Vietnamese as well, Malaysian too, all other countries are told two entries per year, but you will get 30 days, no more 15 days.

I do not know how they will handle the Farangs who live in border areas of Cambodia or Laos and wish to do shopping once or  twice a month.

It is for visa exempt entries not visas, Topic here.

So if you're not on a visa (exempt entry only), you can only do 2 land border crossings/visa runs per calendar year...what about the number of 30-day extensions at Immigration?? That's still not clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...what about the number of 30-day extensions at Immigration?? That's still not clear.

What part exactly of "There is no such limit" is not clear to you?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/870548-The-Multiple-Entry-Tourist-Visa-Topic-(METV)#entry11477864

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

What part exactly of "There is no such limit" is not clear to you?
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/870548-The-Multiple-Entry-Tourist-Visa-Topic-(METV)#entry11477864
Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

He said there were no such limits for METV, that's clear. I'm talking about extensions without a visa- exempt entries. Clear??

7 minutes ago, donaldinho9 said:

He said there were no such limits for METV, that's clear. I'm talking about extensions without a visa- exempt entries. Clear??

There is no limit on the number of 30 day extensions for visa exempt or tourist visa entries that can be obtained.

• Like 1

hey all, just wanted to share my story, I am currently on my second METV, had no issues at all obtaining the visa sticker in my passport, however upon entering suvarnabhumi, I was grilled by the immigration officer, she asked me heaps of questions about my previous non thai visa, for exmaple I had a few vietnam and burma visas, it seemed like she was trying to find a reason to deny me! I was also traveling in business class so this was in the premium lane at immigration,

perhaps she just was having a bad day or maybe, are the authorities cracking down on people taking advantage of the METV by doing it back to back? as on my first METV I stayed a total of just under 9 months, then flew back to sydney, obtained another METV within one week then back to Thailand.

Can anyone else give some feedback for people who are on their second METV? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmw said:

hey all, just wanted to share my story, I am currently on my second METV, had no issues at all obtaining the visa sticker in my passport, however upon entering suvarnabhumi, I was grilled by the immigration officer, she asked me heaps of questions about my previous non thai visa, for exmaple I had a few vietnam and burma visas, it seemed like she was trying to find a reason to deny me! I was also traveling in business class so this was in the premium lane at immigration,

perhaps she just was having a bad day or maybe, are the authorities cracking down on people taking advantage of the METV by doing it back to back? as on my first METV I stayed a total of just under 9 months, then flew back to sydney, obtained another METV within one week then back to Thailand.

Interesting but obviously we will need to wait for a higher number of replies from those on their 2nd METV. I am myself on the second back-to-back METV and had no issues whatsoever when entering in Nov. I will fly out to KL this weekend and return to DMK on Sun so will then be able to report back if of interest to the community.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rapallo said:

Can anyone help me?

I have a METV visa so I planned to go to Ranong after 60 days to cross the border and come back the same day. Anyone has made this ?

Can I go one week before my expering date?

Thanks

rapallo

You can do it at Ranong. No problem to do it early.

• Like 1

Interesting but obviously we will need to wait for a higher number of replies from those on their 2nd METV. I am myself on the second back-to-back METV and had no issues whatsoever when entering in Nov. I will fly out to KL this weekend and return to DMK on Sun so will then be able to report back if of interest to the community.

I'm on my 2nd METV as well. Got the first one when I was home in April, arrived back in BKK in May. Went back home end of August, got my 2nd METV with no questions asked (same smooth process as the first) in October, arrived back here end of Oct. No questions at all when I arrived at Suvarnabhumi.

Just wondering if there is a minimum requirement when you leave the country now, flying out/in? I'm planning ahead in a few weeks time, as my 1st 30 day extension will expire (after my 1st 60 day stay). Does Immigration require us to fly out of the country for a minimum of 24 or 48 hours now, or can we fly back same day? Also, any recommendations on cheap flights/close/worthwhile destinations? The help and advice is much appreciated, cheers!

5 minutes ago, donaldinho9 said:

Just wondering if there is a minimum requirement when you leave the country now, flying out/in? I'm planning ahead in a few weeks time, as my 1st 30 day extension will expire (after my 1st 60 day stay). Does Immigration require us to fly out of the country for a minimum of 24 or 48 hours now, or can we fly back same day? Also, any recommendations on cheap flights/close/worthwhile destinations? The help and advice is much appreciated, cheers!

There have been no changes. You can fly out and back on the same day.

Kuala Lumpur is a good for low cost flights plus no visa is required. Check Air Asia for flights.

• Like 1

Hi, sorry to be a pain, but could I just confirm a few things,

So you get 60days on each entry for 6 months so its effectively a 6 month visa?

If I order this visa in the mail a month before leaving will I only get 5 months, or does it start when I enter Thailand?

How necessary are the 6 months previous bank statements, return ticket, confirmed reservation, and letter from employer? Can I get the visa without providing these?

I'm from England.

Thank you.

Edited by imfinn

5 hours ago, imfinn said:

Hi, sorry to be a pain, but could I just confirm a few things,

So you get 60days on each entry for 6 months so its effectively a 6 month visa?

If I order this visa in the mail a month before leaving will I only get 5 months, or does it start when I enter Thailand?

How necessary are the 6 months previous bank statements, return ticket, confirmed reservation, and letter from employer? Can I get the visa without providing these?

I'm from England.

Thank you.

The visa is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. You can do a an entry on the date the visa expires (enter before date on visa) and get another 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

They will certainly want to see the money has been in the bank for 6 months. You can show a one way ticket to a nearby country instead of a return ticket. You can show a letter from from an employer or "If you are self-employed, you self-assessment and a company registration document are required."

Info can be found here: http://new.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section2

You could also apply in person at one of the consulates and get the visa on the same day you apply for it.

13 hours ago, imfinn said:

I'm from England.

Thank you.

No chance without the documents but you could get an SETV.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/01/2017 at 2:42 AM, kmw said:

Probably it was a mix of bad luck / an officer having a bad day / the fact that you spent just under 9 months in the country on your previous METV and were back so fast.

I am on my second METV but I never stay in Thailand more than 3 months at a time and I never do a 30-day extension.  I just fly out somewhere new, check the place out and return in 2 - 4 days.  I've never been questioned about my visa history which for the last several years has generally been a bit over half the year in Australia and a bit under half the year in Thailand.  I would speculate that you spending so much time in Thailand on the previous METV and stringing it out as long as you could, only to shoot down here, get another one and go straight back, might (very reasonably) have them questioning what you're up to.  I think it's perfectly fair for them to question you.  No doubt you've seen Border Security on TV - any foreigner with that sort of travel pattern to Australia would be grilled at the border!

Edited by mstevens

On 6-1-2017 at 9:37 AM, ubonjoe said:

The visa is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. You can do a an entry on the date the visa expires (enter before date on visa) and get another 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

"You can do a an entry on the date the visa expires (enter before date on visa) and get another 60 day entry". You think this or you know this from own experience? Because they told me something else, and than it would mean you have a 8 months visa instead of 6 months.

Off-topic, but maybe interesting for other people, because I don't read much about a third METV yet:

Currently I'm on my second METV, and in April I go back to my home country and come back again at the end of April, with hopefully my third METV. The only question they asked me when I applied for my second METV at the embassy of my country, was if I have work, because they are scared that I will work in Thailand, so they told me to print-out my last 3 salary statements, which I can show to the immigration officer in Thailand, but they didn't ask for it (November 2016).

Edited by Rudyv
border police > immigration officer

15 minutes ago, Rudyv said:

"You can do a an entry on the date the visa expires (enter before date on visa) and get another 60 day entry". You think this or you know this from own experience? 

I can confirm this from experience...

• Like 1

Hi I'm looking to apply for a METV but I won't have any employment I'm quitting my job to go travelling so won't have a letter showing I'm employed I can easily prove a large amount of funds - 40k plus to show I don't need to work whilst traveling anyone have any experience of applying for METV in these circumstances without an employer letter ? How many employers are gonna give 6 months leave anyway ??

thanks

42 minutes ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Hi I'm looking to apply for a METV but I won't have any employment I'm quitting my job to go travelling so won't have a letter showing I'm employed I can easily prove a large amount of funds - 40k plus to show I don't need to work whilst traveling anyone have any experience of applying for METV in these circumstances without an employer letter ? How many employers are gonna give 6 months leave anyway ??

thanks

Where will you be applying for the visa? Some embassies and consulates have different requirements than others.

I'm likely to apply for METV visa this April. I'm curious how long it take for embassy to process visa at any US-based embassy or consulates? Will depart US on April 20 and I'll fly to Thailand again on Oct 14, so I'm hopeful they can give me visa between April 14-19 so visa will be valid for Oct visit..

13 minutes ago, wash747 said:

I'm likely to apply for METV visa this April. I'm curious how long it take for embassy to process visa at any US-based embassy or consulates? Will depart US on April 20 and I'll fly to Thailand again on Oct 14, so I'm hopeful they can give me visa between April 14-19 so visa will be valid for Oct visit..

The embassy website states 5 business days but I can recall reports of it being less. See: http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/tourist-visas/tourist-visa-category-mt/

At the consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angles it is only a couple of days

• Like 1