The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

34 minutes ago, Aero992 said:

I'll just have to wait 5 working days to find out, will they issue a Single Entry Visa or will i have to re apply if the multiple entry is refused. I'm assuming I'll lose the £125 application fee?

I am reasonably sure that, in the event they reject the METV application, they will give you an SETV. On the application fee, I am unsure. You may well lose the balance over and above the cost of the SETV.

So if the METV says "Enter before 1 June" and today is 1 January, say for example, I enter Thailand and get a stamp on 1 January which is valid until 1 March...

If I leave and come back they will stamp me out say 15 January, and if I come back, they will stamp a new 60 day period for when I come back in? So if I keep going in/out, I will never need to extend the 60 days to 90 days, correct?  Doing that extension will only be if I haven't left the border 60 days from my entry then i can extend for 30 days and stay a total of 90 days without traveling.. but if I go in and out then I will just be filling up my passport with new stamps up until the expiration date which says "Enter before" date?

16 minutes ago, lopezkoa said:

So if the METV says "Enter before 1 June" and today is 1 January, say for example, I enter Thailand and get a stamp on 1 January which is valid until 1 March...

If I leave and come back they will stamp me out say 15 January, and if I come back, they will stamp a new 60 day period for when I come back in? So if I keep going in/out, I will never need to extend the 60 days to 90 days, correct?  Doing that extension will only be if I haven't left the border 60 days from my entry then i can extend for 30 days and stay a total of 90 days without traveling.. but if I go in and out then I will just be filling up my passport with new stamps up until the expiration date which says "Enter before" date?

Your understanding is correct. Indeed, if you are making frequent trips out of Thailand during the 6-month validity period of the visa, you are the perfect candidate.

10 hours ago, MiWV said:

I am still curious what the employer letter required for the METV  application in the USA should say? Should it say I am on leave? Anyone done this?

Yes It needs to say you are employed but are taking leave in order to travel they just want proof you have a job to go back to and thus unlikely to overstay or need to work in thailand 

10 hours ago, Aero992 said:

I've just signed applied for a METV via post at the Embassy in London, I wasn't fortunate enough to come across this forum beforehand. Read through the last few pages I see a lot of people mention needing proof of a return flight/onward travel however during my application process I couldn't find this listed anywhere and have sent off my application without it. I was also about £200 under my bank statement from around 6 months ago but I'm hoping this won't be an issue because I'm now a couple thousand over the required amount.

How likely am I to get this Visa application approved?

I would say you will be fine I applied in person in london and pretty sure I showed no evidence of onward travel as long as you have the funds required and you have more than needed - that shows you can afford to leave .. if anything they may send you a note to clarify if you have return travel before approving the visa ... either way please post what happens 

See here is the tricky part about the METV...

If you apply for it and don't enter Thailand immediately, you are only wasting the days you spend in Thailand before the 6 months it expires.

For example, if you apply for METV, on 1 January it will be 6 months from the date they put it in your passport.  So if you wait a month before you enter Thailand, and enter 1 February... that means you won't get a full 9 months out of it, because if it says "Enter Before 1 July,"  that means you will do a border run before 1 May, and then back in say 2 May, you have to leave again before 1 July, which would only be 60 days because if you stay 90 days, then your METV will be expired at that time... So really if you waste 1 month after you get the Visa in your passport and plan to stay in Thailand long term with extensions, you will only get just shy of 8 months worth out of it.

Also what if you have your own Business or self-employed, what letter would you have to provide for that to the Embassy?  Are there times where they won't ask for Bank statements showing funds or Employee letters? Or does this depend on which Embassy you apply at?  It seems like the METV is a bit more tricky to get approved for compared to a SETV, where they don't ask for much paperworks for that. 

Edited by lopezkoa

20 hours ago, lopezkoa said:

Also what if you have your own Business or self-employed, what letter would you have to provide for that to the Embassy?  Are there times where they won't ask for Bank statements showing funds or Employee letters? Or does this depend on which Embassy you apply at?

It seems like the METV is a bit more tricky to get approved for compared to a SETV, where they don't ask for much paperworks for that.

Generally, yes, different consulates enforce differently - though the METV has some rules, such as money-in-the-bank, which are required everywhere (though the amount varies somewhat based on how they convert the local currency). 
Usually, a tax-statement showing self-employed income is enough for that option.  In Ireland, 'welfare benefits' were/are accepted in lieu of employment. 
SETV applications are easier overall, but what is needed for those also vary by the consulate where one applies.

Since there is a chance you can lose the remainder of the $200 when applying for a METV and just get issued a SETV, wouldn't it be more convenient to just pay $40 for the SETV (unless you can provide all documentation) and when you leave every 90 days, you can just use that extra $160 you save and apply for a new SETV with no problems?

If you plan to not go in/out of Thailand, then I say apply for the SETV for $40, and then after 90 days use the extra $160 you save to get another TR Visa in Laos, Malaysia or Hong Kong.  If they do ask for Bank statements for a SETV, you only need to show 25,000 Baht. Compared to a METV, you need to show 230,000 Baht (Huge difference), and a letter from employer and all that extra stuff (At least for the Embassy in Washington DC that i saw the list of requirements) 

Since I dont have $7,000 in my bank would it be pointless to try to apply for a METV? I saw on the Washington DC requirement list you need to have this,.  I've been getting SETV from Laos with no problem.

Am I able to apply for a METV in Laos or Hong Kong? because I also read that I can only apply for the METV in my Home country? is this true? so I cant apply for it in Laos or Hk? If I can apply for it there do they require Bank statements? I dont want to risk applying and being denied for the METV and getting a SETV anyways but then I would have paid $200 when it would be $40. 

Edited by acenase

16 minutes ago, acenase said:

Am I able to apply for a METV in Laos or Hong Kong? because I also read that I can only apply for the METV in my Home country? is this true? so I cant apply for it in Laos or Hk? If I can apply for it there do they require Bank statements? I dont want to risk applying and being denied for the METV and getting a SETV anyways but then I would have paid $200 when it would be $40. 

I think you already know you can only apply for the METV in your home country. (There is a possible exception for a few nationalities that they may be able to apply in Australia, but that is uncertain.) If you try to apply for an METV in Laos or Hong Kong, they will simply change your application to an SETV and charge you the regular SETV price.

44 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think you already know you can only apply for the METV in your home country. (There is a possible exception for a few nationalities that they may be able to apply in Australia, but that is uncertain.) If you try to apply for an METV in Laos or Hong Kong, they will simply change your application to an SETV and charge you the regular SETV price.

Seriously... all this time I've been stressing out over opting to try for a METV on my next visa run and I can't even apply for it after all. I can only apply for that when i go back to my own country. 

On 12/09/2017 at 4:52 PM, Aero992 said:

I've just signed applied for a METV via post at the Embassy in London, I wasn't fortunate enough to come across this forum beforehand. Read through the last few pages I see a lot of people mention needing proof of a return flight/onward travel however during my application process I couldn't find this listed anywhere and have sent off my application without it. I was also about £200 under my bank statement from around 6 months ago but I'm hoping this won't be an issue because I'm now a couple thousand over the required amount.

How likely am I to get this Visa application approved?

Collected my passport today, everything was accepted with no further paperwork needed.

26 minutes ago, Aero992 said:

Am I still required to carry 10,000 baht + proof of onward travel if I have a multiple entry visa, all the information I can find on google references arriving without a visa.

No, it's 20K. They are unlikely to want to see the 20K or onward flight unless you are a long term 'tourist'.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Retired and from the USA. I'm going to be coming over to Thailand from Manila in November. Upon arriving you get a 30 day Visa correct? To extend your stay, do you go to a designated place to get another 60 days for a total of 90 days?  I see there is a (one-year?) multi entry Visa as a tourist.  How can I get one? 

Should I try and get the multi entry Visa now while I'm in Manila? I will take a one way flight to Bangkok.  Will my ticket back to the USA July 2nd be enough to satisfy the airline that I plan on leaving Thailand?  Been reading for about an hour so I tried to find the info specific to me. :saai: Thanks Thai Visa.

47 minutes ago, sudsy said:

I'm Retired and from the USA. I'm going to be coming over to Thailand from Manila in November. Upon arriving you get a 30 day Visa correct? To extend your stay, do you go to a designated place to get another 60 days for a total of 90 days?  I see there is a (one-year?) multi entry Visa as a tourist.  How can I get one? 

Should I try and get the multi entry Visa now while I'm in Manila? I will take a one way flight to Bangkok.  Will my ticket back to the USA July 2nd be enough to satisfy the airline that I plan on leaving Thailand?  Been reading for about an hour so I tried to find the info specific to me. :saai: Thanks Thai Visa.

If you arrive without a visa you'll get 30 days. You can extend it, once, by 30 days at a local immigration office.

There is no 1 year ME tourist visa. There is one valid for 6 months, but you won't be able to get that in Manila unless you're legally resident in the Philippines.

Most airlines want an onward flight out within 30 days of entry so I doubt your July flight would be accepted.

If you get a Single Entry Tourist Visa from Manila you won't need an onward flight and will get permission to stay for 60 days on entry. That can be extended by 30 days. After 90 days you could get another tourist visa from an embassy/consulate in a country neighbouring Thailand.

• Like 1

If you travel without a visa, you will receive a 30-day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office inside Thailand on payment of 1,900 baht. If you have a single entry tourist visa, issued by a consulate outside Thailand such as Manila, you will receive a 60-day permission to stay, that can be extended for a further 30 days at an immigration office inside Thailand. A multiple entry tourist visa is usually only available from your home country (in your case, the US) and is valid for 6 months. If traveling to Thailand, intending to enter visa exempt, your airline is likely to verify that you have an onward flight booked outside Thailand within 30 days (possibly 60 days). This requirement does not apply if you have a valid visa, though the consulate where you apply for the visa might then require an onward flight before they will issue the visa.

How many months do you want to spend in Thailand? If you want to stay from November 2017 until July 2018, I suggest

• Get a single entry tourist visa in Manila.
  • Extend it by 30 days in Thailand. This will allow you to stay until February
  • Fly to Vientiane and apply for another tourist visa there. It is very easy, and only takes two days.
  • Return to Thailand, receiving permission to stay until April (or possibly May if you decide to stay longer in Laos)
  • Extend by 30 days until May/June.
  • Do a border hop, leaving Thailand and reentering to receive a 30-day visa exempt entry.
  • Extend the visa exempt entry by 30 days if necessary

• Like 2

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I will get a 60 day touristvisa before traveling to Asia.

My plan is to arrive in Bangkok and stay for a few days, then fly to Singapore and Malaysia before entering Thailand again on Koh Lipe.

Will my first entry in Bangkok trigger my 60 day touristvisa or can I enter with a 30 day visa on arrival and the use my 60 day visa when I enter aprox. 15 days later.

Or do I need to apply for a METV?

Thanks 

33 minutes ago, flonken123 said:

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I will get a 60 day touristvisa before traveling to Asia.

My plan is to arrive in Bangkok and stay for a few days, then fly to Singapore and Malaysia before entering Thailand again on Koh Lipe.

Will my first entry in Bangkok trigger my 60 day touristvisa or can I enter with a 30 day visa on arrival and the use my 60 day visa when I enter aprox. 15 days later.

Or do I need to apply for a METV?

Thanks 

If the IO sees the Tourist Visa they will use it. You could ask them not to use the visa and to give you a 30 day visa exempt entry, but it's unlikely that the IO will do that.

You don't need a METV for the itinerary you describe. When you arrive with the SETV you will get permission to stay for 60 days. When you fly to Singapore you could buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht). On re-entry to Thailand the IO will give you the remainder of your 60 days. For example; If you leave after day 5, and return after 15 days, you would be given the remaining 40 days of your original 60 day stay. If you are returning with less than 30 days of the original 60 left there is no point getting a re-entry permit as you can re-enter under the visa exempt scheme (not visa on arrival) and will be given 30 days.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If the IO sees the Tourist Visa they will use it. You could ask them not to use the visa and to give you a 30 day visa exempt entry, but it's unlikely that the IO will do that.

You don't need a METV for the itinerary you describe. When you arrive with the SETV you will get permission to stay for 60 days. When you fly to Singapore you could buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht). On re-entry to Thailand the IO will give you the remainder of your 60 days. For example; If you leave after day 5, and return after 15 days, you would be given the remaining 40 days of your original 60 day stay. If you are returning with less than 30 days of the original 60 left there is no point getting a re-entry permit as you can re-enter under the visa exempt scheme (not visa on arrival) and will be given 30 days.

Ok, thank you so much for your reply!

A re-entry permit it is!

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Report:

Earlier this week, 3rd entry on 2nd METV. Entry point was Suwannaphum. Have stayed the last 6 years in Thailand on TETV's, SETV's & METV's. No questions. 60-day stamp.

Thanks. Nationality and age would be interesting to put your report in context.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:41 PM, Briggsy said:

Report:

Earlier this week, 3rd entry on 2nd METV. Entry point was Suwannaphum. Have stayed the last 6 years in Thailand on TETV's, SETV's & METV's. No questions. 60-day stamp.

generic question, how long have you stayed home to apply for the 2nd METV?

I am tempted to do the same thing but I have been here for the full 9 months and a few visas in between 1x ED and  2-3x triple tourist visas mostly for the last 4 years and a few trips home (2-4 months usually)

I am tempted to go home for like 2-3-4 weeks this December to get another METV but almost afraid that they would .. maybe decline me the visa (then the trip is a waster of time, 50,000 baht or so)

5 hours ago, kekalot said:

generic question, how long have you stayed home to apply for the 2nd METV?

I am tempted to do the same thing but I have been here for the full 9 months and a few visas in between 1x ED and  2-3x triple tourist visas mostly for the last 4 years and a few trips home (2-4 months usually)

I am tempted to go home for like 2-3-4 weeks this December to get another METV but almost afraid that they would .. maybe decline me the visa (then the trip is a waster of time, 50,000 baht or so)

Based on my own experiences and other people's posts from various European countries, you can fly into your home country (the UK in my case) and apply for an METV the following day.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

My METV has an 'enter before' date of 4th December - so I know that if I come in before this, I will get one more 60 day period of stay in the Kingdom.

My question is, if I enter on the 4th is that ok - or does it actually have to be before the 'enter before' date, not on it?

1 minute ago, drh1010 said:

Apologies if this has been asked before.

My METV has an 'enter before' date of 4th December - so I know that if I come in before this, I will get one more 60 day period of stay in the Kingdom.

My question is, if I enter on the 4th is that ok - or does it actually have to be before the 'enter before' date, not on it?

The 4th is ok....