What happens if I die?

I'm with Bangkok Bank. My account is in my name only BUT my wife is added as the sole beneficiary of this account by Bangkok Bank. These forums were singed and witness in the bank. When I go tits up all my wife has to do is take the death certificate to the bank and the account is hers. In the mean while I trust my wife and she keeps the atm card, bank book and pin number. She will not have any problem. BTW OP its 2 months seasoning for the 400k (marriage extension) not 3 months.

What branch of Bangkok Bank is this?? I tried this with the one that holds my accounts and they would have none of it.

Chiang Mai on Thapae Road and Kap Choeng. No problems.

Thanks for all this good advice , which I have copied and pasted . Earlier this year I had a heart attack and nearly died ; it made me think hard about providing for my wife .

While I was in hospital my wife did use my ATM card for necessary spending . I recall in England that it is possible for a wife to have a bank card on her husband's account , without it being a joint account . Am I mistaken ? Could that equally apply in Thailand ? I hasten to add , that my wife is head teacher of a school and very responsible where money is concerned .

I have investment with a company in Britain where my wife is registered as a second beneficiary ; in the event that I'm incapacitated or die , she will be able to continue to adjust the investment and receive income in her own right . I tell my wife again and again not to spend a lot on my funeral , entertaining the whole village for several days .

• Like 1

"...As long as she has access to the card and PIN if you become incapacitAted or die she would have no problem draining the account..."

That's a common solution but not the best. For a non-joint account, the moment you die it becomes a crime for anyone to withdraw the money.

How do you proof that, if your death you are not going to the cops and report this are you?

It could be an issue with blended families or guys with multiple marriages and so ex-wives and kids who may have a legal claim on he funds. They might file a police complaint. Therefore, this would be best in cases where there is only he one wife and her kids...it's highly unlikely they would file complaints against themselves.

You really should have a Thai Will. No lawyer needed. You can get one for free from the Amphur. If nothing else, just write one on a napkin and have it witnessed.

This is stupid advice! Write a will on a napkin? Really? Get a lawyer and draw up a will. Make sure you have an English translation. That's what I did. I don't understand why people ask for legal advice on a forum like this. Especially for something as important as this.

GET a lawyer.

• Like 1

I'm with Bangkok Bank. My account is in my name only BUT my wife is added as the sole beneficiary of this account by Bangkok Bank. These forums were singed and witness in the bank. When I go tits up all my wife has to do is take the death certificate to the bank and the account is hers. In the mean while I trust my wife and she keeps the atm card, bank book and pin number. She will not have any problem. BTW OP its 2 months seasoning for the 400k (marriage extension) not 3 months.

I have two Thai bank accounts, but only have a debit card for one, as most of my Thai money is kept in the bank with most of my funds.

My wife can transfer the money from my non debit card account, to my debit card one online, she has my debit card number.

"...As long as she has access to the card and PIN if you become incapacitAted or die she would have no problem draining the account..."

That's a common solution but not the best. For a non-joint account, the moment you die it becomes a crime for anyone to withdraw the money.

Can you imagine a Thai person getting punished in court for draining your account after you die? I can't.

It would be obvious the wife knew all her husbands debit card numbers and bank account numbers with his blessing.

What branch of Bangkok Bank is this?? I tried this with the one that holds my accounts and they would have none of it.

Don't you know that all the different banks and branches in Thailand all make up their own rules?

Just like IO offices, Amphurs etc.

Do a will!

Immigration has nothing to do with how your monies are distributedblink.png

File the will at the Amphur office. My Amphur had a "standard" form to use. It came from a book of "standard" forms and was in the computer waiting for me to supply the bank account information and property information. No charge, but I supplied cookies all around.

Did you understand what you signed ?

Don't you know that all the different banks and branches in Thailand all make up their own rules?

Just like IO offices, Amphurs etc.

No one will know until the day of reckoning.

• Like 1

Make a will ?

I have a will made in UK .

Will this delay things or is it best to make another one in Thai.

With a Thai lawyer ?

It is advisable to have two wills your UK will is for what you own in the UK and your Thai will would be what you have in Thailand , it is my understanding that if a will is not made in Thailand 50% goes to your wife and the remaining 50%!is divided between your children Hope this helps !!!

My account is in my name only BUT my wife is added as the sole beneficiary of this account by Bangkok Bank //

When I go tits up all my wife has to do is take the death certificate to the bank and the account is hers //

Hum... It may work in your own case, with your own nationality, but it's certainly not a way everyone can or should do! It may work because you have probably nobody else with right on your heritage, but else children you have somewhere else may have a legal claim on he funds. As others already said, it would be illegal (a theft) to use money of a join-account after you die. That claim would block the whole inheritance procedure.

Please don't count on the ATM card as replacing a Final Will. As mentioned, I've seen accounts frozen as soon as the bank learned of a foreigners death. That includes joint accounts. Remember, children inherit at the same level as a spouse in Thailand and the bank wants to make sure that the deceased had no children who would come and kick up a fuss about the widow cleaning out the account. The account isn't always frozen, but often it is.

And yes, I've seen Thai widows who have successfully used an Advance Directive to hold off the peer pressure they were under to keep their husband alive at all costs and to have a lavish funeral. I've also seen widows who totally ignore the deceased's wishes about a funeral, too and there was nothing his friends or adult western children could do to enforce the Advance Directive. But, it can be helpful if the widow wants to respect her husband's final wishes and understands the money is meant for her, not the monks and funeral service providers.

I've been involved in dozens of foreigner deaths here, so I'm speaking from experience. Admittedly, all my experience is based in Chiang Mai, but I suspect I have first-hand knowledge of more foreigner deaths than most people contributing to this thread.

My account is in my name only BUT my wife is added as the sole beneficiary of this account by Bangkok Bank //

When I go tits up all my wife has to do is take the death certificate to the bank and the account is hers //

Hum... It may work in your own case, with your own nationality, but it's certainly not a way everyone can or should do! It may work because you have probably nobody else with right on your heritage, but else children you have somewhere else may have a legal claim on he funds. As others already said, it would be illegal (a theft) to use money of a join-account after you die. That claim would block the whole inheritance procedure.

I dont and its NOT a joint account.

A joint account is acceptable. For a marriage visa it requires 800000 baht instead of 400000 baht. A joint account with wife for a retirement visa, 1.6 million baht instead of 800000 baht.

Most immigration offices will no longer accept a joint account even with 1.6 million in the account for an extension based upon retirement (not a visa).

I don't recall any immigration office allowing a joint account for an extension based upon marriage.

You can add the wife as a POA, power of attorney to any of your accounts or open a new one with her as POA. You and your wife need to fill out many additional forms. She can withdraw money if you become ill (and I am guessing until you are declared dead and a death certificate is issued). The account shows in your name only and a bank letter to immigration would indicate this. However, the bank has records in their file for the account providing them with the information needed to let your wife withdraw from the account in your name.

Unless it is different in Thailand your POA expires when you expire. I have a Thai will an I was told it had to be set up as follows; 50% to surviving spouse and 50% evenly distributed to the children.

Simple.....make sure your wife has access to your ATM card for your bank account and she can continue to draw money from the account using your ATM card.

The ATM card machine nor the bank staff will know it is her drawing the money ...after you have died.

So..in your will, make sure she knows where to obtain your ATM card and the 4 digit code number and she can continue to draw money out of that account like it is her account.

As long as the bank does not know you are dead then as far as I understand she can use your card and draw money out of the account.

If the bank is notified you are dead ...then I surmise they would freeze the account.

If I am wrong, then someone educate me otherwise.

Cheers

If you add her as a benefiter of your account, she can withdraw whenever she wants

Again. So is this statement:

1- what you imagine is the law in Thailand?

2- what is the law in your country?

3- what is the law in Thailand?

From what I know every account to a guy name (joint or not) should be frozen "immediately" after his death.

Continuing to take money from it is stealing money from other heirs, and then source of serious problems...

• Like 1

Sounds as though you have made a will through the bank.

Although your wife may be the sole beneficiary they will not release the money to your wife on production of your death certificate, she must have a court order, that's the law. Once you notify the bank of a death they freeze the assets until they receive a court order.

I am also with the BKK and I have asked them exactly the same question as the OP is asking.

Firstly you should make a Will.

Secondly, even though the account may be in your name, the conditions of withdrawal can be agreed so that another party can withdraw by their own signature, or joint signatures.

Thirdly in the event of death of one party, the bank will freeze the account if you notify them of the death, subject to a Court Order.

They tell me that provided you have made a Will, the normal procedure is for your partner to withdraw/transfer the funds (subject to the terms you apply to the account) and then notify the bank of your death. They will close the now empty account on production of a death certificate.

This is what the Thais do. It is not illegal and no repercussions as long as the beneficiary was the person named in the Will.

In the event of no Will, it will go to probate and the Courts will decide who gets what. It can take years if you have family abroad.

I have a Will in the UK leaving all my UK assets to my children.

A Will in Thailand leaving all my Thai assets to my Thai partner.

Each Will cross references with the other and all beneficiaries are totally aware of the assets and how they are to be divided.

Let's hope enough people read this post. Every point is correct and the right way to do things.

• Like 1

I have a joint account with my wife and a single account in my name only.

She has a debit card for each account so getting money out will be no problem.

What MAY be a problem in the future when I die is that my pensions are paid into the joint account and still will be.

I am just wondering if KBank will leave the account in the joint name or whether she will have to open an account in her name only.

I assume you are talking about a Pension paid to your widow.

The Thai authorities are legally bound to notify your Embassy in the event of death, who in turn notify your government, who in turn notify your Pension providers..

You need to talk to the KBank. For the sake of Pension payments it would be easier for your spouse to be able to just take over the account.

Alternatively have a sole account for the purpose of funds for Immigration, and have a joint account where funds are transferred.

Make a Will to cover both accounts and other assets.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1

I have a joint account with my wife and a single account in my name only.

She has a debit card for each account so getting money out will be no problem.

What MAY be a problem in the future when I die is that my pensions are paid into the joint account and still will be.

I am just wondering if KBank will leave the account in the joint name or whether she will have to open an account in her name only.

I assume you are talking about a Pension paid to your widow.

The Thai authorities are legally bound to notify your Embassy in the event of death, who in turn notify your government, who in turn notify your Pension providers..

You need to talk to the KBank. For the sake of Pension payments it would be easier for your spouse to be able to just take over the account.

Alternatively have a sole account for the purpose of funds for Immigration, and have a joint account where funds are transferred.

Make a Will to cover both accounts and other assets.

I believe that only DWP get advised - private pension providers do not.

Simple.....make sure your wife has access to your ATM card for your bank account and she can continue to draw money from the account using your ATM card.

The ATM card machine nor the bank staff will know it is her drawing the money ...after you have died.

So..in your will, make sure she knows where to obtain your ATM card and the 4 digit code number and she can continue to draw money out of that account like it is her account.

As long as the bank does not know you are dead then as far as I understand she can use your card and draw money out of the account.

If the bank is notified you are dead ...then I surmise they would freeze the account.

If I am wrong, then someone educate me otherwise.

Cheers

You are right, and you are wrong.

You are wrong from the point of view that the act of withdrawing cash after the death of the account holder is illegal. End of.

You are right in that what you describe is the best practical solution to getting short-term cash for funeral costs etc (and draining the account over time without the need for recourse to the bank or the courts). In reality the widow is likely to be the sole beneficiary, either with a Will or if the husband died intestate, and no one is likely to raise an eyebrow, let alone instigate criminal proceedings.

You really should have a Thai Will. No lawyer needed. You can get one for free from the Amphur. If nothing else, just write one on a napkin and have it witnessed.

This is stupid advice! Write a will on a napkin? Really? Get a lawyer and draw up a will. Make sure you have an English translation. That's what I did. I don't understand why people ask for legal advice on a forum like this. Especially for something as important as this.

GET a lawyer.

Okay, I'll put this in different words:

You really should have a Thai Will. Use a proper lawyer if you can but it's not required. You can get a will drawn up for free by the Amphur. At the very very least, if it's all you can handle at the moment, just make a will on plain paper in your own handwriting and have it witnessed. This is known as a holographic will and it is recognized in Thai law.