Russian man arrested on Koh Samui for allegedly smuggling in 6.5 kgs of cocaine

webfact

Russian man arrested for allegedly smuggling in 6.5 kgs of cocaine
The Nation

KOH SAMUI: -- A Russian tourist has been arrested on Koh Samui for allegedly smuggling in 6.5 kilogrammes of cocaine.

Lelekov Sergei, 24, the suspect was paraded at press conference at the Customs Department at 1:30 pm Monday.

Customs Department chief Kulis Sombatsiri told the press conference that Sergei arrived at Samui International airport from Singapore on Saturday and filed a complaint with the airport that he lost his two bags.

But the bags were handed over by officials of Silk Air to customs officials after the two bags were left unclaimed. The customs officials checked the bags on Sunday and found the drug hidden in secret compartments of the bags. Sergei was arrested on Sunday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Russian-man-arrested-for-allegedly-smuggling-in-6--30273046.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-16

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it never straightforward in this part of the world?

The guy reported the bags missing but actually they were left unclaimed... What - he was in too much of a hurry to get to the beach?

Perhaps he chickened out at the last minute, is my guess.

Stupid is as stupid does. wink.png

Probably the guy was hoping for the airline to deliver the bags to him expecting them to bypass customs...

Aah - you may well have hit the nail on the head there - sad thing if true; if he investigated the rules he would find that when your bags are found you have to pick them up in person - this happened to a friend of mine a week or two back.

But I go along with your theory as nothing else makes much sense smile.png

Thai Customs Nab Russian with 6.5 Kilo’s of Cocaine in Koh Samui

KOH SAMUI -Kulis Sombatsiri, Director-General of the Customs Department at the Surat Thani island office, said in a news conference on Monday that Russian National, Sergei Lelekov, has been arrested at the customs office in Koh Samui for allegedly smuggling 6.5 kilograms of cocaine worth about 26 million baht into Thailand.

Kulis Sombatsiri, said in a news conference on Monday that Sunday’s arrest of Sergei Lelekov was made by customs and Office of the Narcotic Control Board, and Narcotic Suppression Bureau officers.

Mr Kulis said staff from Silk Air staff brought two suitcases belonging to Mr. Sergei Lelekov to the Ko Samui customs office for officials to check before delivering them Sergei Lelekovat at a Samui Diving Resort.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thai-customs-nab-russian-with-6-5-kilos-of-cocaine-in-koh-samui.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2015-11-17

Could be worse if he had got caught in singaporebut better jail cell I reckon.

Hmmm, dont know if life in a Thai jail is better than the Death sentence, after a few years im guessing he will wanna be dead already....

and what practical knowledge of either thai prisons or death leads you to this conclusion?

or did you just feel a burning need to comment despite the fact that you had nothing to say?

24 .. wow what a waste. He will have plenty of time to think about what he has done as well as have time to learn Thai as I expect as most farang here he only knows 5 phrases if that. Good luck sir, better luck next time

Edited by monk213

Could be worse if he had got caught in singaporebut better jail cell I reckon.

Hmmm, dont know if life in a Thai jail is better than the Death sentence, after a few years im guessing he will wanna be dead already....

and what practical knowledge of either thai prisons or death leads you to this conclusion?

or did you just feel a burning need to comment despite the fact that you had nothing to say?

Sorry Mr Mihalis and Mr Jones, it seems you are not allowed an opinion!!

Could be worse if he had got caught in singapore…but better jail cell I reckon.

totally agree, most of us know of the conditions there. 20-100 in a cell, 2 ceiling fans, sleeping next to each other, shackles for the first 6 months, food is beyond poor unless you can import moneys, chances of catching illnesses are super high, if you cannot speak Thai you are screwed and the lights in the cells are on 24/7

He won't have to worry about renewing his tourist visa I can see a 50 year extension stamp in his passport already !

had to laugh at that comment, good one thumbsup.gif but I still feel a bit bad for him, yeah he knew what he was doing and he knew the consequences, but he s going to either be dead soon or wish he was. I do not wish that kind of suffering upon anybody who does something as trivia as trafficking cocaine. Punishment yes, 50 years in utter hell, no

Probably the guy was hoping for the airline to deliver the bags to him expecting them to bypass customs...

Aah - you may well have hit the nail on the head there - sad thing if true; if he investigated the rules he would find that when your bags are found you have to pick them up in person - this happened to a friend of mine a week or two back.

But I go along with your theory as nothing else makes much sense smile.png

My bags have been bumped and the airline brought them to me..

He won't have to worry about renewing his tourist visa I can see a 50 year extension stamp in his passport already !

had to laugh at that comment, good one thumbsup.gif but I still feel a bit bad for him, yeah he knew what he was doing and he knew the consequences, but he s going to either be dead soon or wish he was. I do not wish that kind of suffering upon anybody who does something as trivia as trafficking cocaine. Punishment yes, 50 years in utter hell, no

Trafficking cocaine is trivia, eh? Are you imprisoned by your own standards, I ask?