Corruption in Phuket Immigration

To all you people shouting "Get a yellow book"...

First. You need a certificate of residence to get a yellow book. (500 baht, no receipt, at Chiang Mai Immigration) A catch 22 situation.

Second. Not all people can get a yellow book...me for example.

My wife of four years is Thai, we own a house here and I am on a retirement visa (extension). I have applied at our local Kweng three times and he is just obstructive, moving the goalposts each time, until I have all-but given up.

I got my Yellow Book within two weeks of setting foot in Thailand. I arrived on a Retirement O-A Visa. No certificate of residence required to get the Yellow Book.

Went to the district office in my part of Bangkok with the Thai wife and a Thai friend....two hours later I walked out of the district office with my Yellow Book. My Yellow Book has been used many times over last 7 years or so in opening bank accounts, getting the initial drivers license and renewals, buying a SUV, tax refunds, etc. Have never had to get a Certificate of Residence...the Yellow Book always make everyone happy since a Yellow Book is nothing more than an address/house registration issued by the local Thai govt.

• Like 1

First. You need a certificate of residence to get a yellow book. (500 baht, no receipt, at Chiang Mai Immigration) A catch 22 situation.

My wife of four years is Thai, we own a house here and I am on a retirement visa (extension). I have applied at our local Kweng three times and he is just obstructive, moving the goalposts each time, until I have all-but given up.

I got my Yellow Book within two weeks of setting foot in Thailand. I arrived on a Retirement O-A Visa. No certificate of residence required to get the Yellow Book.

Went to the district office in my part of Bangkok with the Thai wife and a Thai friend....two hours later I walked out of the district office with my Yellow Book. My Yellow Book has been used many times over last 7 years or so in opening bank accounts, getting the initial drivers license and renewals, buying a SUV, tax refunds, etc. Have never had to get a Certificate of Residence...the Yellow Book always make everyone happy since a Yellow Book is nothing more than an address/house registration issued by the local Thai govt.

You rent a house or apartment ? You now many people rent and this can not get the Yellow book.

Going over old ground and repeating myself, but apart from Immigration and your Embassy, Certificates of Residency can also be obtained from Police Stations and your local Amphur office (free)

I got my first C of R from my local Police Station to purchase my motorcycle.

I got my second C of R also from the local Police to get my Tabian Baan (house book).

The Tabian Baan is the ultimate proof of registered address and accepted by all government departments.

What do you think the Thais use!

Thai use ID Card, And if you have a long trip to Immigration like 5-6 hours driving then you can use the local Police station.

if you are complainig about the 300B for certification of residency, i would not be surprised very soon it will be 500B like at some other immigration offices now....the reason why I am getting a yellow book.

This dokument It`s free you don`under stand that.

I cursed when I was leaving Jomtein immigration last Fri for paying 300B for a piece of paper. I agree it should be free. How do they get away with it? I remember sometime ago someone on TV explained since this service is not on the list of immigration services, they consider this extra work and decided to charge without receipt. I am not saying this is right.

Since 8 years ago I have been paying 200B for each at JOmtein, it went up to 300B lately.

It's been 500 bht in Korat for years here, I haven't had one for 2 years, but there was talk they were to stop issueing them in Korat immo because tight-asses wouldn't pay it, and they won't issue them for free.

Like the op, good luck to anyone who complains noisily, pity them maybe the next time they go for visa extensions...

Your original post & the comments are appreciated.

I am about to update my Thai driving licences this month due to my new passport.

My plan is that I will provide the transport office nearing to Phuket Immigrant office both passports (old & new), the black book (resident), the existing licences.

I hope they will allow that to proceed without going to immigrant. huh.png

Just did it in Phuket town last Friday as i got new passport on Thursday. Went to the driving licence office. Asked them what is needed to update the passport number in the driving licence. They told me:

Certificate of residence from the immigration

Copy of the new passport only

Copy of the visa (1 year non o for me)

That's it.

Went to the immigration opposite. As i have already registered my address, just copy of the passport, visa and fill a form. 10 minutes later got the certificates. Free of charges

Went back to the driving licence office, show them the required document and copies, got a queue number, wait, paid 110 + 220 ( for 2 licences) and got the 2 new licences with passport number updated. Took about 1 hour.

Thanks jpsasia, I have not started that yet as it is raining today.... I am glad you got 2 licences successfully assuming for both biking & driving. I shall plan to visit at local amphur for C of R instead of immigration to see what happening today - hopefully they can trace my record on the right database.

You rent a house or apartment ? You now many people rent and this can not get the Yellow book.

The wife and I own our home/dirt in Bangkok....have a blue book for it.

...we used to pay 500 bht, but some people, 1 or more, complained in Korat, so they don't issue them anymore, now everyone has to suffer because some tightass wouldn't pay the 500 baht. Its not even that often you need one, its not like its a fortune.

I had to renew my passport last week, i had to go to a lawyer to have my driving licence translated into english (address), for proof of residence. That was a few hundred baht, plus running around making copies, so now we still have to pay up, why rock the boat? Have you seen what some of these people earn?

I love corruption myself, at places like Amphur, do you want to sit there all day, or pay 1,000 baht, and be out in 15 minutes?? Up to you, but i choose the quick way.

I am about to update my Thai driving licences this month due to my new passport.

My plan is that I will provide the transport office nearing to Phuket Immigrant office both passports (old & new), the black book (resident), the existing licences.

Just did it in Phuket town last Friday as i got new passport on Thursday. Went to the driving licence office. Asked them what is needed to update the passport number in the driving licence. They told me:

That's it.

Went to the immigration opposite. As i have already registered my address, just copy of the passport, visa and fill a form. 10 minutes later got the certificates. Free of charges

Went back to the driving licence office, show them the required document and copies, got a queue number, wait, paid 110 + 220 ( for 2 licences) and got the 2 new licences with passport number updated. Took about 1 hour.

Thanks jpsasia, I have not started that yet as it is raining today.... I am glad you got 2 licences successfully assuming for both biking & driving. I shall plan to visit at local amphur for C of R instead of immigration to see what happening today - hopefully they can trace my record on the right database.

You welcome. Just to clarify. The set of copies they are asking is per licence. 1 set for the car and 1 set for the motorbike. The C of R is only 1 required for both licence. It might work in the local amphur, never tried. Only issue at the immigration office is that there are a lot of people. Had a small issue with the officer because he was insisting for me to get my non o visa transfered to my new passport. But as i holding 3 passports that day, 1 with the visa, one with the entry stamp and the new one, he finally gave up and proceeded the C of R.

Also, for your information for the passport number update in the DL, no test or video required. When the officer proceeded my application, she told me that actually updating the passport number on the DL was not required but she will proceed anyway.

for that price u only got a 1 year license?

paid 110 + 220 ( for 2 licences)

No I am on 5 years licences. Got 1 year, then 5 years then again 5 years. These last 5 years will expired on Jan 2017. When they update the passport number, they give a new one (new print)but expired date remain the same.

I also paid 300 THB in a Jomtien for the CoR,

However, considering what I have to pay for similar services in my home country -despite the huge tax burden - , it's more than acceptable. Just as example: my consulate here is charging European prices, the legislation / verification of just for 4 pages was 1900 baht ...

Imagine, from whom I felt exploitet - the Thai or my own home country?

ask for a letter from THE BRITISH EMBASSY and see how much they CHARGE.

• Like 2

You are very lucky....

Our local Kweng required:-

Married to a Thai.

Own a house or condo.

Two people who know you as witnesses.

Someone who work for the government who knows you as a witness.

Copies of all visas, house books and id cards.

Certificate of residence from immigration.

And still he refused to issue me with a yellow book.

The last time we were in the office, he was issuing yellow books to condo owner who were assisted by the condo selling agent. My wife asked the agent to help and the head man said that they got books because they had children in Thailand...

Great...in my seventies, had a vasectomy..no chance

This was a subject of debate last year when a charge was made for 90 day reporting etc.

The. Colonel i/c of Phuket immigration made a public statement

"“I can categorically say that there is no fee for this service,” chief of the Phuket Immigration Office Col Sunchai Chokkajaykij told the Gazette.

“Both address verification and 90-day reporting for foreigners are services that we provide free-of-charge. "

Whay it`s NO CCTV Camera in side the Immigration in Thailand ? only in Bangkok. But people start you mobil when you go to Immigration on voice and ask why you ned to pay it`s free, then you have evidence.

Buy don`t upload from or inside Thailand, then you maybe go to jail. So send to some friends around the word and this people can put on Internett.

That's it.

You welcome. Just to clarify. The set of copies they are asking is per licence. 1 set for the car and 1 set for the motorbike. The C of R is only 1 required for both licence. It might work in the local amphur, never tried. Only issue at the immigration office is that there are a lot of people. Had a small issue with the officer because he was insisting for me to get my non o visa transfered to my new passport. But as i holding 3 passports that day, 1 with the visa, one with the entry stamp and the new one, he finally gave up and proceeded the C of R.

Also, for your information for the passport number update in the DL, no test or video required. When the officer proceeded my application, she told me that actually updating the passport number on the DL was not required but she will proceed anyway.

Now I got myself both Thai driving licences - exactly the same criteria as yours. Pity Amphur office does not deal with C of R - howvever I was there for another purpose anyway. Then I went straight to Immigration to get C of R. As result of that, I am relieved that there is no charge involved in it. And the rest is pretty straightforward at Transport office. So enjoy a peace of mind. Cheers. P.S. I did request the transferred expired stamp (not visa sticker) from the old to the new one sometimes ago. No charge for that too. I think it will be useful for next extension.

• Like 1

That's it.

Now I got myself both Thai driving licences - exactly the same criteria as yours. Pity Amphur office does not deal with C of R - howvever I was there for another purpose anyway. Then I went straight to Immigration to get C of R. As result of that, I am relieved that there is no charge involved in it. And the rest is pretty straightforward at Transport office. So enjoy a peace of mind. Cheers. P.S. I did request the transferred expired stamp (not visa sticker) from the old to the new one sometimes ago. No charge for that too. I think it will be useful for next extension.

I am not on extension of stay but just on 1 year multi entries non o visa. My visa actually expired tomorrow and i am getting a new one every year because i am working in a neighbor country. So i had to explain the immigration officer that my visa (sticker) doesn't need to be transfered. Only the entry stamp will be transfer to the new passport when i will leave the country. Which was actually done last Monday at Don Muang without any problem.

Yes, except the waiting queue, both immigration and driving licence is quite straightforward. As for this original thread, i was not ask to pay anything for C of R. Also was the same when I requested one few month ago for another purpose.

• Like 1

I got my certificate a few weeks ago in Phuket, the immigration officer asked me for 300B til I pointed out it was free, he laughed and quickly changed the subject.I didn't pay.

I too don't understand why there are no camera's in there,they should be behind each officer, so the "alien" and the officer are in the picture! laugh.png

Just like in shops where the camera is on the till - it's to stop the shop assistants stealing as well as keeping an eye on the customer.

• Like 1

However, considering what I have to pay for similar services in my home country -despite the huge tax burden - , it's more than acceptable. Just as example: my consulate here is charging European prices, the legislation / verification of just for 4 pages was 1900 baht ...

And I bet that a trip from Pattaya to Bangkok for the Embassy letter would have cost rather more than 300 THB in its own right!

And I bet that a trip from Pattaya to Bangkok for the Embassy letter would have cost rather more than 300 THB in its own right!

This papir in Thailand IT´S FREE you get it fore Farang and Thai but you ned Certificate of residence from immigration and this Immigration that 300 Nbat But it`s free ????

• Like 1