I am the ultimate Cheap Charlie

I think I contribute around 10% of my total annual income to Thai economy.

The rest goes into my pocket.

My oh my..... I bet immigration hates me.

The worst part of the OP's post is how proud he is that he is beating the system and not contributing to the Thai economy.

Please explain how am I "beating the system".

I requested similar explanation from your fellow bashers, but they never reply.

They probably realize they are hypocrites.

Are you going to reply?

I paid more in Canadian tax last year than what I spent in Thailand.

So, I support Canadian economy.

How do you support Thai economy?

Why does immigration hate you if you are following all the rules? From that comment you seem to be eluding that you are beating the system.

How do I support the Thai economy? I have a valid work Visa. I work for a MNC in Thailand that supplies to the automotive industry, which is a significant part of the Thai economy. I pay a lot of Thai taxes on my income. My company pays Thai companies to do my taxes, for my relocation needs, for my VISA paperwork...etc. I spend a lot of money in Thailand on vacations, entertainment, Condo rent, car rental...etc. I have not once had to report for my 90 day immigration check because I am always flying in and out of the country (airfare taxes for the Thai economy again). I have spent more parking my rental car at Suvarnabhumi in the last two years than the 11k baht you saved by taking the bus. I support the US economy too by paying taxes EVERY year regardless where I live.

Is that enough sufficient enough data for you to show how I support the economy?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you mean a Cheap Charlene.

Your point is spot on. But why even mention it. Isn't it a none issue. I bet there are a hell of a lot, just not the majority, of foreign men living in their girlfriends'/wives' houses free of charge. So what?

So nothing.

Many forum posts are about nothing.

I am hoping some Cheap Charlies come from hiding and post their cheapness.

being a cheap Charlie is relative. seen from a certain perspective i am a cheap Charlie too and let a stranger pay for all my living expenses in Thailand and another country plus an additional amount (as of today) USD 43,691.-

the stranger is German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schäuble.

this is what he looks like when he hears my name:

attachicon.gifangry Schäuble.jpg

Congratulations. You have topped the OP for most pathetic post on this thread. You really found it necessary to list in USD how much someone has given you.

if you read again you will find that i did only list a part of the amount. the total amount is considerably higher.

and if you think again (i assume you can think) you will find that nobody has given me any amount but i was referring to saved German income tax.

next intelligent irrelevant comment please laugh.png

Well you say you live cheap ...... there are many who live much cheaper the you but are wise not to tell how they do and mentioned it.

Beside that you do what foreigner say about Thai there is also the probably too that you not are who you claim you are and are just a Thai who want look like foreigners building an image to try yo match that. (LOL)

On the other hand as you as foreginer and as well the Thai know is that Thai people are not stupid and at the end will present the bill, as you know nothing is for free especially not in Asia/Thailand.

Personally I find it strange what you write here and that you do this. that is my personal opinion and remind that you think that you are a Cheap Charley, the real Cheep Charlies are much smarter and not advertise that.

If it was a woman living in her boyfriend's house, would anyone think it such a big deal?

Would she be a Cheap Charlotte?

I think you mean a Cheap Charlene.

Your point is spot on. But why even mention it. Isn't it a none issue. I bet there are a hell of a lot, just not the majority, of foreign men living in their girlfriends'/wives' houses free of charge. So what?

So nothing.

Many forum posts are about nothing.

I am hoping some Cheap Charlies come from hiding and post their cheapness.

From your description, you seem to be more of a bum than a Cheap Charlie. I applaud you for being so proud of being a bum....although I'm not real sure why you would be. I mean, I can easily do what you're doing, but I'd prefer not to. Do you really want to be bragging about this?

Amusing post and replies, certainly managed to get the 'dogs' barking whistling.gif

However, the OP is all about not doing (not spending your own money). Is there any doing (activities, interests, accomplishments) here that you care to share? Not counting the few people you have mentioned, are there any people, animals, or places that are better off because of what you do? Just curious.

My parents in England had a couple who were close friends. The husband, who was from a wealthy background (surprise, surprise!), objected to his wife (a lovely & attractive lady), putting the water heater on so she could take a bath. Needless to say, the marriage eventually failed!

I have an old acquaintance who is arriving into Bangkok today from London, he is a wealthy man who has turned mean-ness into an art-form! I have noticed with many people, a sort of correlation between mean-ness & wealth, not with all people, just very many.

Edited by Andrew65

Happy for your cheapness, but I've heard it countless times that the party is over once you get married here. Whatever this really means.

Ultimate cheap Charlie, perhaps? But you are about to pay the ultimate price.

In a word, marriage.

Freedom rules! Good luck with your plan.

When I were a lad we were instructed by a teacher on the difference between heaven and Hell.

In Hell there is a massive banqueting table groaning under the weight of the very best, and every conceivable kind of food.

The problem being that the residents of Hell can only eat with six foot long knives & forks, so they are starving.

The exact same conditions prevail in Heaven, the only difference being that the people feed each-other.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Andrew65

What you've invested in, in the last three years is just that, time and what is your time worth?

Hopefully not but you may decide in later years that that time could have been spent more profitably.

You obviously fit the bill with your fiancee and her family which means they see your marrying her to their advantage - how mutual is that advantage?

A true cheap charlie would only marry to his own advantage.

I think it's the tone of your post I find offensive. You make sound as if you're getting over; somehow cheating. Maybe that's not what you intended, but...

I didn't move to Thailand to live as cheaply as I could. I spend about the same here as I did in the US.

Guess I'm not a cheap charlie.

I don't really get while frugality attracts such a hostile reaction here. I wouldn't want to live like that myself, but I don't have a problem with those who do.

I don't thinks it's the frugality rubbing people the wrong way,

just the sponging off girlfriend and family.

I don't really care what he does.

I don't really get while frugality attracts such a hostile reaction here. I wouldn't want to live like that myself, but I don't have a problem with those who do.

I don't get that either. If a woman lives off a man, he's supporting her - but if a man lives off a woman, he's sponging off her?

I don't get that either. If a woman lives off a man, he's supporting her - but if a man lives off a woman, he's sponging off her?

In London parlance a man who lives off a woman is known as a 'ponce', I believe.

I believe that historically/traditionally the man was/is the breadwinner. There are nowadays in the UK more and more couples, where the guy looks after the house & kids, whilst the wife goes out to work, due to her superior earning-power.

You are exactly the type of immigrant we don't want here. Happy to leach off everyone, and the state if you can. Immigrants like you give the rest a bad name.

In just 2 grammatically incorrect sentences you managed to write an incredible amount of absurdity. Well..... stupidity.

First of all, who is we? You don't get to decide.

Secondly, pass me those immigration papers.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Most on here are from a different generation perhaps.

OB

You are exactly the type of immigrant we don't want here. Happy to leach off everyone, and the state if you can. Immigrants like you give the rest a bad name.

In just 2 grammatically incorrect sentences you managed to write an incredible amount of absurdity. Well..... stupidity.

First of all, who is we? You don't get to decide.

Secondly, pass me those immigration papers.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I'm writing a quick reply on a forum, not editing a book. Every one of your replies contain grammatical errors, so it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black. You also lack the ability to see the irony in my reply. The clue is in the "we". Start there and you might begin to understand the broader connotation.

ED visa but no education to think it clever to act like a cheap Charlie, Karma will come.

I dunno about education, but at least I can write in proper English which is my second language.

Dunno. Is that proper English? Sorry, I couldn't resist that.