Bangkok runners to get shirts for 'longest-ever' half-marathon

webfact

HALF-MARATHON?
Bangkok runners to get shirts for 'longest-ever' half-marathon

The Nation, Agencies

BANGKOK: -- Organisers of the Standard Chartered Bangkok Marathon have promised to hand finisher jerseys in compensation to participants who were made to run an extra 5.5 kilometres on top of the standard 21.1km in Sunday's early morning race.

Organisers of the Standard Chartered Bangkok National Jogging Association of Thailand (NJAT) chairman Gen Manus Klaimanee apologised for the error yesterday, stating that his organisation had miscalculated the half-marathon course distance.

"Our staff mistakenly marked a U-turn onto the course, which added around six kilometres to the route," said Songkram Kraisonthi, a co-organiser.

"We admit our mistake and have apologised. Our staff worked hard but they were confused," he said.

According to international standards, a half-marathon should be 21.1km but the course for Sunday's competition, which started and ended in front of the Grand Palace, was longer by 5.5 kilometres. About 7,000 runners gauged the distance via their GPS devices. Many were thoroughly exhausted by the finish and took to the social media to slam the organisers.

British Ambassador Mark Kent tweeted: "Just completed my longest ever half marathon this morning……30% extra."

On its website, the Standard Chartered Bangkok Marathon is billed as a "world standard" race in which runners "will forget about the tiredness" as they snake through the city's historic heart.

"The incident should not have happened. ... We will take this mistake as a lesson for the future," NJAT said in its official apology.

"On behalf of the organising committee we feel terribly sorry," the statement said.

Organisers added that runners would receive a special limited-edition shirt in recognition of the extra distance travelled. All shirts would be sent via mail within 45 days, the statement said.

However, that offer was not enough to quell the anger of some runners, who pilloried the organisers on NJAT's official Facebook page.

"Will I recover from my leg ache when I wear the shirt you are sending?" Thai Facebook user Poonwanat Peem sarcastically asked. "Montri", another runner, described the event as an "embarrassment to the country".

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sports/Bangkok-runners-to-get-shirts-for-longest-ever-hal-30273165.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-18

So what we have here is a complete failure to check anything at all.

I wonder how many people knew about this well before the event but would not discuss it because the planning was quite likely made by someone who's either very wealthy or powerful yet incredibly stupid.

Sounds like they were dual pricing too. Quote from Newsweek:

Another commenter said that she “nearly did my knee in having upped the pace for what was supposed to be the last 1.5 km. This race was an absolute joke. On top of this, I had to pay four times the amount for race registration than a Thai national.” According to Asian Correspondent, Sunday’s race is not the first time Amazing Field has been criticized for charging foreign runners multiple times the price it charges Thai nationals.

Another commenter said that she nearly did my knee in having upped the pace for what was supposed to be the last 1.5 km. This race was an absolute joke. On top of this, I had to pay four times the amount for race registration than a Thai national. According to Asian Correspondent, Sundays race is not the first time Amazing Field has been criticized for charging foreign runners multiple times the price it charges Thai nationals.

I could be wrong but when I ran it there was a price for those living in Thailand and a higher one for overseas runners. I thought the living in Thailand price was the same for all nationalities, but as I say I could be wrong.

I could be wrong but when I ran it there was a price for those living in Thailand and a higher one for overseas runners. I thought the living in Thailand price was the same for all nationalities, but as I say I could be wrong.

Well, since you've run the race you would know. How you define "living in Thailand" is probably what makes the difference.

Edited by nkg

Another commenter said that she nearly did my knee in having upped the pace for what was supposed to be the last 1.5 km. This race was an absolute joke. On top of this, I had to pay four times the amount for race registration than a Thai national. According to Asian Correspondent, Sundays race is not the first time Amazing Field has been criticized for charging foreign runners multiple times the price it charges Thai nationals.

You are correct and that is the way it has always been and still is.

Well, since you've run the race you would know. How you define "living in Thailand" is probably what makes the difference.

You tick the box that says 'resident in Thailand' and give your address from what I recall.

"Organisers of the Standard Chartered Bangkok National Jogging Association of Thailand (NJAT) chairman Gen Manus Klaimanee apologised for the error yesterday, stating that his organisation had miscalculated the half-marathon course distance."

No wonder the military keep straying over borders if they work out 21km out and back route.

"Organisers of the Standard Chartered Bangkok National Jogging Association of Thailand (NJAT) chairman Gen Manus Klaimanee apologised for the error yesterday, stating that his organisation had miscalculated the half-marathon course distance."

A General was in charge?

No wonder the military keep straying over borders if they can't work out 21km out and back route.

Edited by Bluespunk

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Now the organisers can apply for an entry in the Guinness Book of Records under "World's Longest Half-Marathon" - that'd really show the world the quality of Thai organisation.

Edited by MartinL

In previous races there was a pricing category for "Foreigners residing in Thailand" which was the same amount as Thai pricing. This year they dropped that category.

So what we have here is a complete failure to check anything at all.

I wonder how many people knew about this well before the event but would not discuss it because the planning was quite likely made by someone who's either very wealthy or powerful yet incredibly stupid.

General Manus Klaimanee, chairman of NJAT, my guess; all three of the above

A General was in charge?

No wonder the military keep straying over borders if they can't work out 21km out and back route.

Also explains all the confusion over national park boundaries and encroachment.

I just sent the original article to my brother. His reply:

"They were "confused".

Can you imagine, an extra 3 and a half miles???
They ought to make the measurers run the whole thing and sting 'em in the ass with a cattle prod if they slow down."
clap2.gif clap2.gifclap2.gif

Even if they were too lazy or incompetent to physically measure the course

Google Earth has a measuring tool that they could have used from the comfort of their offices

My bad, that is foreign, so couldn't be any good

They probably DID use Google Earth, just the person using it doesn't know the difference between millimeters and parsecs.

It was probably a clueless BIB having opened an ad-hoc u-turn to "ease" the traffic. Meddling with barriers and traffic lights should be punishable by instant death.

cheesy.gif On my first ever visit to BKK in 1999, I was riding around with an expat who'd been there for 25+ years & he made the same statement.

He also pronounced "Summary Execution" on Thai bus drivers in the same breathe.

Not much has changed.

Well, I thought the race was for charity, in which case, if they are dual charging, they have more brass neck showing than usual. But then, an appropriate time for the foreign runners to refuse to pay more than the Thais.