ISIS not linked to Thai-Muslim groups

webfact

The Southern insurgency has got NOTHING to do with jihad or Islamic ideology

I understand where you're coming from with your statement, but can I modify what you just said:

The Southern insurgency has got NOTHING to do with jihad or Islamic ideology right now

IMHO, the Muslim activists in southern Thailand are ideal recruits for ISIL.

It will happen

not yet but inevitable.

Absolutely. A Muslim population is being put upon by a non Muslim one.

I am actually amazed it hasn't spread to Bangkok with regular bombings already.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I don't think that up till now there is much evidence of a strong link between the Southern Thai Muslim people and international Islamist Jihadist movements like ISIL and Al Queda. However, I do consider that a big risk going forward. If there is some smart thing the Thai government can do to PREVENT that, they should. Personally, I don't know what that is.

All that appears to be needed is a youth that is disaffected and feeling even so slightly put upon in order for there to be a chance of radicalisation.

They blow up the Thai army every day, so I don't see what relevance it is to say there is no isis in Thailand..

That is just degrees of behaviour.

There are over 1 billion Muslims but how many radicals? Not really that many. How many youth do not feel disaffected or even slightly put upon? Also not many. It seems to be quite unusual, thankfully.

The relevance in stating that the Southern Insurgency is not related to ISIS is in knowing your enemy. The Thai insurgents bear similarity with ISIS but differ in their end goal, this is important as they only want independence, not the caliphate.

All that appears to be needed is a youth that is disaffected and feeling even so slightly put upon in order for there to be a chance of radicalisation.

They blow up the Thai army every day, so I don't see what relevance it is to say there is no isis in Thailand..

There are over 1 billion Muslims but how many radicals? Not really that many. How many youth do not feel disaffected or even slightly put upon? Also not many. It seems to be quite unusual, thankfully.

The relevance in stating that the Southern Insurgency is not related to ISIS is in knowing your enemy. The Thai insurgents bear similarity with ISIS but differ in their end goal, this is important as they only want independence, not the caliphate.

They blow up market places and kill innocents regularly. They say today they only want independence.

As long as they use tactics such as that which indiscriminately kill innocent people, I think that claiming they "only" want something when their behaviour is as extreme as that, is stretching my faith somewhat.

It is impossible to know what they really want and to believe they only want independence is a very bad assumption.

We can see the progression of violence since 1948 when it was just a localized ethnic and religious separatist insurgency in the Patani Region. Since then it has been low level separatist violence. Then it escalated after 2001 and the violence got more intense and senseless since then. If Thailand do not try to find a solution, you can bet that the violence will be escalated and will go beyond the south as they pressed for independence. The worrying aspect is that there are already Thai muslim getting training by ISIS and will be better trained to escalate more violence and terror in order to achieve their goals. So far the government has only pay lip service to the south and very much in denial mode.

I'm just concerned that IS seems to have the ability to recruit individuals inclined towards violence. But I shouldn't assume anything.

From the French TV and analysis, they just recruit pretty normal youths, maybe not the brightest but relatively normal.

Most are incubated for 3-4 months (think brain-wash) and get convinced little by little that their family and their country are doing nothing for them and are actually holding them and their potential back.

First step is to break the family love and circle..

Then ready to go to the camps...

Some more brainwashing and some medication to help

http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2014/jan/13/captagon-amphetamine-syria-war-middle-east

Pretty well organized nowadays it seems.

It's sad. Did you see the brother on BBC? Said he and his family had no idea what little bro was up to.

They blow up market places and kill innocents regularly. They say today they only want independence.

As long as they use tactics such as that which indiscriminately kill innocent people, I think that claiming they "only" want something when their behaviour is as extreme as that, is stretching my faith somewhat.

It is impossible to know what they really want and to believe they only want independence is a very bad assumption.

This isn't about how extreme the insurgents are in Thailand, it is about their relationship to ISIS, a specific group with a specific goal. They have two things in common, they are willing to do anything to get what they want, and they are Muslims. I do not link the two groups on the assumption that one will become more like the other, why would I?

It is impossible to know... ...a very bad assumption.

Hmmm, how do you know? Well it certainly feels good not being Islamophobic, my personal belief is that the less irrational fears I suffer the better, but thanks for your concern.

And Mcdonald's is not linked to burgers, somtam not linked to spicy food and and and....lol. Talk about head in the sand. blink.png

You believe the Southern Muslims are affiliated or connected in some way with ISIS?

What makes you think that? Or is it just tarring every Muslim with the same brush?

The Southern insurgency has got NOTHING to do with jihad or Islamic ideology.

Are you suggesting that a group who have killed over 6000 people including beheading young children have no simularities to ISIL ????????

That's a relief...

Thai Muslims are some of the nicest, kindest people I've ever met. But some of their people have shown they're capable of terrible violence. And IS is just a bunch of hired guns. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Substitute Christian for Muslim and your comment is still valid. Two words. Northern Ireland.

Yes, the IRA are an excellent parallel to the Southern Insurgency, their struggles have nothing to do with religion and everything to do with politics, to assume a link to ISIS based on their religion and violence is based solely on bigotry.

That's a good point. And possibly a good topic for another thread. "Are Islamic Thais Capable of Jihadism?" I really can't picture it. I'm just concerned that IS seems to have the ability to recruit individuals inclined towards violence. But I shouldn't assume anything.

They certainly do have that ability, and there is no reason why some Thai's could not go to fight in the Jihad, anyone could, but I don't think they will ever get the South to join the caliphate, and that should be the biggest fear of any country with a Muslim population.

I fear what could happen should ISIS establish import export partners further afield, we don't need more weapons getting into the wrong hands. Terrorists can empathize with each other regardless of their cause, the IRA was armed by Libyan terrorists for example, and should ISIS be able to move things to SE Asia, then perhaps the troubles in the South could get even worse, that's about as far as I fear for an ISIS involvement in Thailand.

Yes​ there are very nice Muslim Thai's but there are also the ones that behead little children. AND the nice Muslim's protect them

That's a relief...

Thai Muslims are some of the nicest, kindest people I've ever met. But some of their people have shown they're capable of terrible violence. And IS is just a bunch of hired guns. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Substitute Christian for Muslim and your comment is still valid. Two words. Northern Ireland.

Yes, the IRA are an excellent parallel to the Southern Insurgency, their struggles have nothing to do with religion and everything to do with politics, to assume a link to ISIS based on their religion and violence is based solely on bigotry.

That's a good point. And possibly a good topic for another thread. "Are Islamic Thais Capable of Jihadism?" I really can't picture it. I'm just concerned that IS seems to have the ability to recruit individuals inclined towards violence. But I shouldn't assume anything.

They certainly do have that ability, and there is no reason why some Thai's could not go to fight in the Jihad, anyone could, but I don't think they will ever get the South to join the caliphate, and that should be the biggest fear of any country with a Muslim population.

I fear what could happen should ISIS establish import export partners further afield, we don't need more weapons getting into the wrong hands. Terrorists can empathize with each other regardless of their cause, the IRA was armed by Libyan terrorists for example, and should ISIS be able to move things to SE Asia, then perhaps the troubles in the South could get even worse, that's about as far as I fear for an ISIS involvement in Thailand.

'... the IRA was armed by Libyan terrorists ...' The IRA was armed by Libya, not by Libyan terrorists. They were also trained by them. Then, the US Irish sector thought they were still Irish, and they both funded and armed the IRA.

The Erawan bombing was not a terrorist attack.

It wasn't even a bombing. Those guys that are arrested for it aren't charged with terrorism or bombing.

Just for causing an explosion. We all know better.

I personally think that BKK is safer than any major city in Europe.

Just 'cuz you're feeling safer doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

'... the IRA was armed by Libyan terrorists ...' The IRA was armed by Libya, not by Libyan terrorists. They were also trained by them. Then, the US Irish sector thought they were still Irish, and they both funded and armed the IRA.

It was the Libyan terrorist Gaddafi.

And Mcdonald's is not linked to burgers, somtam not linked to spicy food and and and....lol. Talk about head in the sand. blink.png

You believe the Southern Muslims are affiliated or connected in some way with ISIS?

What makes you think that? Or is it just tarring every Muslim with the same brush?

I think you're right.

Shooting children, teachers and hospital workers is nothing that religion of peace or Isis would promote.

Wouldn't waste my money on a brush, it is what it is.

Really? There are people in Malaysia affiliated to Abu Saif who is affiliated to ISIS. I think you are living in another world if you think there is no connection. Would like to think there isnt but I am pretty sure I would be fooling myself if I thought that

I presume you mean Abu Sayyaf the Filipino terrorist group not Abu Sayyaf the dead former high level commander of ISIS. Anyway, Abu Sayyaf having launched attacks in Malaysia says nothing about the insurgency in Thailand, and why didn't you bring the Philippines into this, why Malaysia? The border with peninsular Malaysia doesn't just automatically link Filipino terrorists in Borneo to Thailands separatists.

Ye I do mean the Filipino group. If you have read over thee years there are a few Muslim clerics in Malaysia who have been shown to be linked to Abu S. and it is considered highly likely that the Philipine group have connections, albeit not strong ones at the moment, with ISIS and Al-Qaeda. The border doesnt link anything and I never said it did. One Malaysian cleric has stated openly that he wll not rest until the entire SEA region is Muslim. Maybe he is crazy, in my books he is, but people like that have links around the world.

Really? There are people in Malaysia affiliated to Abu Saif who is affiliated to ISIS. I think you are living in another world if you think there is no connection. Would like to think there isnt but I am pretty sure I would be fooling myself if I thought that

I presume you mean Abu Sayyaf the Filipino terrorist group not Abu Sayyaf the dead former high level commander of ISIS. Anyway, Abu Sayyaf having launched attacks in Malaysia says nothing about the insurgency in Thailand, and why didn't you bring the Philippines into this, why Malaysia? The border with peninsular Malaysia doesn't just automatically link Filipino terrorists in Borneo to Thailands separatists.

Ye I do mean the Filipino group. If you have read over thee years there are a few Muslim clerics in Malaysia who have been shown to be linked to Abu S. and it is considered highly likely that the Philipine group have connections, albeit not strong ones at the moment, with ISIS and Al-Qaeda. The border doesnt link anything and I never said it did. One Malaysian cleric has stated openly that he wll not rest until the entire SEA region is Muslim. Maybe he is crazy, in my books he is, but people like that have links around the world.

How much effort would it take, and would the Thai authorities know and be able stop the insurgency in the south becoming radicalised like that which is seen under Isis?

Even if it isn't quite yet, it would need a few hundred radicalised idiots with guns to terrify the local population and start indoctrination and it could happen in a few months.

The fact that it isn't apparent today doesn't mean it isn't already happening anyway. Relying on the support of the local Muslim population to quell any major radicalisation is hardly a plan is it.

Right, but what has this got to do with the insurgency?

An article from defense-update.com has informative information on ISIS in S.E.Asia. It paints quite a disturbing picture. No wonder the government want it covered up. http://defense-update.com/20150102_isis_in_the_far-east.html

That is indeed a very interesting article but I'll be proactive and mention the source is from Israel so those who would consider the information worthless only because of that can save the click.

Right, but what has this got to do with the insurgency?

Watch the link I have just posted and it may give you some insight